Thoughts on LGBT characters moving forward post-EndGame?

Valkyrie makes the most sense. Tessa Thompson has been pushing for it forever and they made an Exiles counterpart openly gay already. Plus they already shot a scene in Ragnarok confirming she'd slept with a woman but it got cut because China/Russia.

Valkyrie makes the most sense. Tessa Thompson has been pushing for it forever and they made an Exiles counterpart openly gay already. Plus they already shot a scene in Ragnarok confirming she'd slept with a woman but it got cut because China/Russia.

The Russo’s said “gay” which is the only reason I don’t see it being Valkyrie: since Valkyrie was previously “confirmed” to be bisexual. I get that gay is used as a blanket term by a lot of people for the entire LGBTQ community, but it wouldn’t sit well with me at least if the Russo’s were calling a bisexual character gay. Just a personal thing.

I get that, but I also don't put too much stock into that specific wording. Like you said, a lot of people use it as a blanket term, and it's not like the interview where this was mentioned was some carefully prepared press release. The answer sounded kind of off the cuff.

I get that, but I also don't put too much stock into that specific wording. Like you said, a lot of people use it as a blanket term, and it's not like the interview where this was mentioned was some carefully prepared press release. The answer sounded kind of off the cuff.

True, true. He did say Feige might reveal it soon, which makes me think they might do an announcement during Pride Month maybe? He might have meant SDCC too, I suppose, though that seems an odd place to unveil that particular announcement.

Reactions: MbJ
Going by the comics the two characters that would be gay (not bi or otherwise LGBTQIA+) are Korg and Ayo. Others that I could see as gay are Mar-Vell (because of the gender swap), although that may be an issue for introducing Phyla (not Teddy/Dorrek, as we know a skrull princess could still change her body down to the DNA to be male) so perhaps Mantis makes more sense. She told Drax "I don't like you like that. I don't even like the type of thing you are." and I think it would be easier to pair Phyla with Mantis when she's introduced than to reveal Moondragon (a character with powers somewhat similar to Mantis) is alive and introduce her character as well in the same movie. Kraglin is definitely also a possibilty.

Last edited:
Now that the eternals has happened and clearly the sky didn’t fall in, I’m keen for marvel to continue adding LGBTIQ characters in all their films. Moondragon would be amazing for the next guardians of the galaxy and of course they should be well and truly into it by the time the x-men roll in

I am gonna want Alpha Flight and Northstar at some point. I don't care if it takes 10 years.

Now that the eternals has happened and clearly the sky didn’t fall in, I’m keen for marvel to continue adding LGBTIQ characters in all their films. Moondragon would be amazing for the next guardians of the galaxy and of course they should be well and truly into it by the time the x-men roll in
I haven't seen Eternals yet. How do you feel about it? Was a good representation, or a lame ass wink wink easter egg that hints a possibility of maybe the character being gay?

I haven't seen Eternals yet. How do you feel about it? Was a good representation, or a lame ass wink wink easter egg that hints a possibility of maybe the character being gay?
It's very clear.
They live in the same house, are raising a kid together, use terms of endearment for each other like lovers and they have a kiss that's in the focus of a scene.
They also refused to make any cuts or edits to it for other countries apparently so it seems they're not even going to consider writing it in a way that will be easy to cut out for some international releases.

It's very clear.
They live in the same house, are raising a kid together, use terms of endearment for each other like lovers and they have a kiss that's in the focus of a scene.
They also refused to make any cuts or edits to it for other countries apparently so it seems they're not even going to consider writing it in a way that will be easy to cut out for some international releases.
Ok, so that's a step

I was very pleased. I was terrified the audience would laugh or boo or something but literally nothing happened. I suppose that fits the theme of the movie, that people aren’t as bad as we think they are.

actually it reminded me of when I came out. My heart was beating and I kept waiting for something awful to happen.

Reactions: Lip
I honestly don't care in the slightest as long as the movies are good and they don't make the fact they are LGBT the crux of the character or the story. As long as you've got a compelling backstory, motives and villains im in no matter what team you play for lol.

Everyone had me thinking I had forgotten a scene from Ragnarok or something when I kept hearing this.
These are my thoughts, or that they don't turn a known character just to create headlines about inclusivity.

So what are your thoughts on Queer representation now in the MCU? I still feel that is pathetic, and I'm tired and frustrated. I feel the 60s was less conservative towards queer people than Marvel is now at 2022.

Eternals was a step in the right direction, but it feels, to me at least, we're moving backwards.

So what are your thoughts on Queer representation now in the MCU? I still feel that is pathetic, and I'm tired and frustrated. I feel the 60s was less conservative towards queer people than Marvel is now at 2022.

Eternals was a step in the right direction, but it feels, to me at least, we're moving backwards.
I think you might be eXpecting too much from Marvel Studios.

I'd like see Iceman and Colossus, but I believe it when I see it when a lead character of a Marvel Studios film is deeply in love with the same gender, and have a storyline as prominent as Steve/Peggy, Tony/Pepper, Thor/Jane, Quill/Gamora, Peter/MJ, Scott/Hope and Ikaris/Sersi. Northstar won't be a lead character of a Marvel film, he'd have a similar role/importance as Phastos.

Yeah, America Chavez, Nakia Bahadir, Valkyrie, Korg, Nikki Ramos, Mr. Immortal, Ayo and Aneka. They all felt way less developed in this aspect compared to Phastos.

I have a feeling there might be some more representation coming on Disney+. It seems that Wiccan is supposed to be a pretty big character in Coven of Chaos and supposedly he'll be in a relationship with Teddy Altman. And Ironheart has cast some trans and non-binary actors, at least one of which will be playing a trans character according to a leaked casting call. (Trans actors don't neccessarily always play trans characters of course, I'd be very surprised if Lulu from She-Hulk was ever intended to be trans for example.)

I would like to see more representation hopefully the MCU Iceman is Homosexual like his Ultimate version maybe Charles Xavier or Doctor Doom could be Gay in the MCU world but personally i would like to see a Transgender Girl Super Hero character in the MCU i say this because i would like to see Hunter Schafer in the MCU but i don't know what character would fit her but personally i would love to see Hunter in MCU X-Men

Last edited:
SPOILERS! for Guardians Vol. 3

It didn't really have any representation, so Gunn's teasing back when Vol. 2 came out about one of the Guardians being potentially gay has not paid off at all.
Only thing is Mantis using her powers to make a man feel in love with Drax, which isn't actual representation.
It does introduce Phyla in a minor way, but no indication of her sexuality yet (and no clear path to introducing her partner Moondragon either). She's also a young teenager which is not a choice I love.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn’t love that. I think they were turning the old trope of a woman using her “feminine wiles” to get the job done and turning it into masculine wiles but it felt like Spider-Man making homophobic comments to Bonesaw McGraw in the early noughties

It's 2023 and still next to non-existent

I like the theory that Gwen from Spider-Verse is trans. If you've seen the theory and hints, it's undeniable that there is an attempt to associate Gwen with the trans community. So it's up to interpretation to look and say "hey, she's just an ally", or "no, she's trans".

There will be negative reaction always, so I think we should support and encourage that type of change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"