Black Widow: The Movie

Slushy

Superhero
Reaction score
The%2BAvengers%2B2012%2B-%2Bstills%2B-%2BScarlett%2BJohansson%2Bas%2BBlack%2BWidow.jpg

While Marvel Studios have become the exemplar of smart, modern moviemaking, there is still at least one big step forward that they have yet to make. The number of female-led tentpole films is and has always been pretty woeful, but the reigning king of the superhero movie might be changing that in the near future.

Based on quotes that studio president Kevin Feige recently gave to Total Film, a Marvel movie with a female lead might not be far off, and there's already a candidate in mind.

How does a Black Widow movie sound?

During an interview for the cover story about "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," Feige explains how "Avengers: The Age of Ultron" fleshes out the spy's story and then reveals that there has been some work done on a Black Widow movie, potentially starring Scarlett Johansson.

"We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film," he said. "The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that."

Now before you leave to go stand in line for "Black Widow: The Movie," you should know a few things about Marvel's development process. At any given point, there are a number of concepts being developed as potential films. It's the reason why you probably heard about the "Black Panther" movie years ago and then saw nothing. Feige's quote proves that, yes, there has been some concrete steps towards a Black Widow movie. What we don't know is whether that amounts to anything more than an outline on the back of a napkin.

The more optimistic takeaway, however, is that Marvel is willing to seriously consider a female-led superhero movie, which is probably more than many other studios can say. With confirmation of Black Widow developments and rumors swirling about Ms. Marvel, perhaps it won't be too long before superpowers are dealt out a little more evenly between the sexes.

Credit: MTV.com

I would not do this movie ahead of Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange or Hulk 2.

Meh, Black Widow really isn't interesting especially in the films. There are far better characters that Marvel could focus on.

think of it as an opportunity to introduce new characters that might appear in Avengers sequels. they could get away with introducing Taskmaster, Crossfire, Agent Morse, Zemo, etc.

I would not do this movie ahead of Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange or Hulk 2.

I get your point,but Widow's been a supporting player for years now.If Scarjo is gonna get her chance to star as the character in her own film,it's gotta be soon.The others can afford to wait.(although,Ruffalo isn't getting any younger.)

I get your point,but Widow's been a supporting player for years now.If Scarjo is gonna get her chance to star as the character in her own film,it's gotta be soon.The others can afford to wait.(although,Ruffalo isn't getting any younger.)

I'd sacrifice Ms. Marvel out of the four. If BP is sacrificed, then that means that Marvel is afraid to have a minority led superhero film for whatever reason.

Unless of course....they announce Iron Man 4 with James Rhodes taking the mantle from Tony Stark.

Completely agree. Don't get me wrong, I think a black widow movie can succeed but there are other characters I would rather see first. In a perfect world a black widow solo would come out as a third marvel movie in one year.

Still, Marvel isn't going to announce any new Phase 3 movies until after Cap 2.

Last edited:
We'll see. I hope it's a continuation and not an origin story. However, Natasha must not be victimized by romance in this film. Keep her steely and focused.

think of it as an opportunity to introduce new characters that might appear in Avengers sequels. they could get away with introducing Taskmaster, Crossfire, Agent Morse, Zemo, etc.

Taskmaster and Zemo will most likely be in Captain America 3.

I would watch it. It would be so easy to do it well

The good thing about it is it could be low budget and therefore they could take a little more risk with it. There are many characters I want to see getting a solo movie 1st though.

The good thing about it is it could be low budget and therefore they could take a little more risk with it. There are many characters I want to see getting a solo movie 1st though.

I am really excited about the film; I agree with the bolded part of your post.

I'd sacrifice Ms. Marvel out of the four. If BP is sacrificed, then that means that Marvel is afraid to have a minority led superhero film for whatever reason.

Unless of course....they announce Iron Man 4 with James Rhodes taking the mantle from Tony Stark.

I don't think that is the issue with BP. To bring him to life is quite similar to bringing aqua man to life. With Black Panther you get all of Wakanda and its lore. U have to make the vibrant futuristic city of Wakanda believable and that is no easy task. Especially when you consider that it has to tie directly into the worlds previously established. On a side note, aside from housing the biggest source of Vibranium I don't see how Wakanda or BP adds anything integral to the arc they are building through Avengers 3. Assuming Thanos is the grand finale, cosmic stuff should be their focus going forward. If BP was going to get an intro I think phase 2 would have been the time considering Ultron.

On the Black Widow movie... Im cool with the idea as long as it doesn't take the place of a bigger name (especially Guardians 2). I like the idea of it being a smaller budget, hopefully they try adding a third smaller film to their yearly rotation.

I doubt this movie will happen. And if it does, it's because Marvel is concerned about what they can do next.

In my opinion? Make a movie with all the "unsung" heroes of the MCU. Put them all in one movie, and let it be a SHIELD extravaganza.

War Machine
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Falcon
Supported by Nick Fury, Coulson, Maria Hill

You can make a whole "Avengers Lite" film WITHOUT Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America, and you can do it for cheap. THAT to me is much more interesting than a solo Black Widow film.

Hmmm...I'd think a Loki solo movie would be much more profitable. IMHO I'd want to see what Loki was doing in between Thor and Avengers and how he became connected with Thanos and the Space Pirates, perhaps work Nebula in there.

It wouldn't suprise me if marvel gave up on making Thor 3 and just made the next one "Loki" with Thor cameoing.

I still want to see a widow film and it wouldn't suprise me if demand for it really took off after captain America 2

the film may drop hints on the past Widows of the Soviet era. MCU Natasha would only have come of age in the aftermath of the USSR dissolution. We'll see.

A Black Widow movie as one of the two annual Marvel tent-pole movies? No thanks. I just don't think it advances the Marvel Cinematic Universe as far as movies like Captain Marvel (Kree), Black Panther (Wakanda), Dr. Strange (magic), Inhumans (mutant proxy), etc. would.

However, a Black Widow movie as an off-season, lower budget, relatively indie release that wouldn't need to be a massive world-bending effects bonanza and wouldn't have to hit something like a half billion dollars to be considered successful? Hell, yes! This would also open up the possibility of Marvel "experimenting" with said third annual movie to explore slightly lower profile, off-beat (again, relatively) themes and characters from the comics.

A Black Widow movie would be cool but I rather see Ms. Marvel get one first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"