How do you feel about a Black Widow movie?

TheFantasticJoe

Civilian
Reaction score
Marvel Studios and Scarlett Johansson have been entertaining the possibility of a Black Widow solo movie for a couple of years now, and I think The Avengers is definitely going to spark some interest in one, especially with how the movie left some aspects of her past open for interpretation.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing a movie that encompasses both Black Widow and Hawkeye. Maybe the movie could have a dual story, one that shows her origin, and another that takes place in a present day post-Avengers setting. I'd imagine the movie could be a high-adrenaline spy/action movie with possibly a more grim and worldly tone than the rest of the MCU movies.

What do you think? Would you be up for this movie, or would you rather they do something different? Post your ideas/wish list, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. :woot:

I'd love to see a Black Widow movie. I think she was absolutely amazing in the Avengers and that the character and Scarlett could carry a movie well. I'm semi-torn about the idea of doing a Black Widow/Hawkeye team up, though.

On the one hand, it could be a lot of fun. Scarlett and Jeremy Renner had good chemistry and I wouldn't mind seeing their adventure in Budapest ("You remember Budapest a LOT differently than I do!").

On the other hand, I would like to see a female hero have a successful movie all on her own.

It would be interesting, although it would draw automatic comparisons to Underworld and Tomb Raider (despite the fact that Black Widow was in many ways the archetype for these characters in the first place).

But I agree with HL, this might be the best chance we have to see a financially and critically successful female superhero movie. That's what's really holding us back from seeing Wonder Woman on the big screen.

I hope it does happen, and I'd love for it to pave the way for other female superhero movies. I'd love to see a Ms. Marvel movie in the next ten years.

Yes I want it to happen! It wouldn't be a bad idea given the success The Avengers is getting right now.

While I would like to see a female-lead superhero film succeed, I think the more organic idea would be a Black Widow/Hawkeye buddy spy flick.

What kind of mythos does Black Widow does? How strong is her rogues gallery and supporting cast?

I think the Avengers will drum up interest in a solo flick and it could explore the red room, among other things. I think it should be an origin flick with a Hawkeye cameo at the end.(To tie with what's said in The Avengers.) Also This would be an obvious Fall or Spring release. The budget shouldn't be all that huge.

Yes.....she can do it.

But this can also help bring in more heroes like her.....Moon Knight? Winter Soldier?? Bucky not dead from Cap's movie??

in terms of action, she's better than Angelina Jolie, Zoe Saldana, & Kate Beckinsale (due almost all to ScarJo's non-petite/waif size) Plus, the fact that she's from a comic world (despite still being human) will help too, but in the end she's still gonna be Bourne shaky cam'd and stunt-doubled just as she was in IM & Avengers.

funny, when Whedon noted that the actors (Scarjo) do as much of the action as possible it helps with audiences suspension of disbelief, I guess he meant splice frames of whatever non-aerial/easy pose the actor can do into their stunt-double's sequences :D

Last edited:
A Black Widow movie makes me feel a little funny....in my pants.

I could see a Black Widow prequel movie (her backstory pre-SHIELD and joining SHIELD) going down as a very good "La Femme Nikita" type, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of box office there....or budget, for that matter.

Doing a team-up with Hawkeye makes sense, but it begs the question: why not just do a SHIELD movie in toto, with Fury, Widow, Hawkeye, Coulson and Maria Hill as the principals? (That's pre-Avengers, of course. Cast lineup might have to look a little different if it was post-Avengers.)

What kind of mythos does Black Widow does? How strong is her rogues gallery and supporting cast?

She doesn't have a nemesis, as I recall, that is strongly identified with her, but I think if the movie is going to be more like 24 or Bourne Identity and less like Batman, we don't really need a comic-book inspired villain as such.

Maybe they can create somebody new, but who is affiliated with an existing MU organization or structure (i.e. an evil cabal with hinted ties to Hydra, AIM or the Hammer Corp.).

Why not just use AIM and MODOK?

Since she was my favourite character in Avengers, i'd be very very happy to see a solo movie :)

I think it'd be hard to do a Black Widow movie without Hawkeye though, because of how involved in her plot he is. He's part of her origin, and they were shown to be very close. It'd feel like something was missing if he wasn't there.

Why not just use AIM and MODOK?

If Black Widow is supposed to a spy movie, filled with social intrigue and international politics, it would be weird to have a giant flying head as the main villain. Its too sci fi for a spy movie.

Hawkeye would have to be there, otherwise, I wouldn't watch it. Just as a Hawkeye movie would need Black Widow.

If Black Widow is supposed to a spy movie, filled with social intrigue and international politics, it would be weird to have a giant flying head as the main villain. Its too sci fi for a spy movie.

Agreed, though I would love to see a live-action Modok down the line. Conan O'Brien could play him; they wouldn't even need special effects.

Why would BW or HE need their own solo films when they can encompass all that history in a S.H.E.I.L.D movie. I would think that would be a safer bet realistically .

I think exploring the younger years is the way to go. Renner is getting too old for that so unless they make it in a few years you have to recast both of them.

A low budget action prequel 8-10 years from now is the way to go about exploring the history of those two and the SHIELD. SLJ would need to be replaced as well.

Why would BW or HE need their own solo films when they can encompass all that history in a S.H.E.I.L.D movie. I would think that would be a safer bet realistically .

It would, but of the SHIELD people, Black Widow is most deserving of a solo film, she should be at the center of that, imho.

Hmmm... I don't think I would go the straight Spy Movie direction, as part of her appeal is that she's a superhero. I mean, international politics are nice, but at the end of the day, if she's just fighting Treadstone, it doesn't really show off her larger than life abilities, y'know?

I think exploring the younger years is the way to go. Renner is getting too old for that so unless they make it in a few years you have to recast both of them.

A low budget action prequel 8-10 years from now is the way to go about exploring the history of those two and the SHIELD. SLJ would need to be replaced as well.

???? I don't think the climax to a prequel film would be very fulfilling, especially if it's a prequel mixed in with ongoing multi-franchise sequels. Best to have her have flashbacks and have a modern day mission, that way you can keep all the actors that people love.

Do I think they need to make a solo film for BW, no, not really. Would I go see it if they in fact made it? Of course, it's marvel.

It should definitely be about her assassin days. Pretty sure I'd want Hawkeye in there too.

The appeal of a BW movie, to me, is the potential of Marvel making a successful hero movie with a strong female lead.

The myth is that action movies with female leads don't appeal to the general audience. I think with the brand Marvel has created, now is the time to make the bold move and take the risk of featuring a strong female hero. BW seems like a natural choice since part of her story is already established.

As far as the story elements, I don't see any problem with Modok and AIM. No reason a competent team couldn't adapt the sci-fi elements inherent in the source material. It isn't that more far-fetched than Bond (Jaws, Oddjob, etc). Include Hawkeye and whatever other cameos are appropriate.

I'm in. Seems we all are on similar wave lengths.

Her movie would have to have Hawkeye in it somewhere, flashback I'm thinking in Act II.

The first 5-7 min of the film could play like Bond flick, she is a spy afterall, then flash credit sequence. Her mission could be something that triggers flashbacks for us in Act I to her youth or has her telling it to someone.

I also would like to see a BW film give us the gold wrist stinger. She appears to have something on her wrist now but in two screen outings they aren't detailed. What is on her wrist? Maybe Stark adds some color to those for her!!

Her film is a good set up to display another Marvel Universe Bad guy or Terror Group. A.I.M. seems a no brainer. Modok maybe a bit much but he could be a lurking presence. Perhaps some one else as the main baddie tied to AIM though.

I'd like to see it happen...just because non-comic fans always ask me "so, why is Black Widow in this? she doesn't have any powers..."

The appeal of a BW movie, to me, is the potential of Marvel making a successful hero movie with a strong female lead.

The myth is that action movies with female leads don't appeal to the general audience. I think with the brand Marvel has created, now is the time to make the bold move and take the risk of featuring a strong female hero. BW seems like a natural choice since part of her story is already established.

I think now is as good as time as any for Marvel to attempt a female superhero movie, what with The Hunger Games being a huge success. I think that movie having a female lead in an non-romance-driven action movie will really open the doors to more studios to attempt it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"