Neil Marshall would love to direct a 'Black Widow' Movie

smashmode

House Stark
Reaction score
Neil Marshall would love to direct A Black Widow Solo film (Game of Thrones Spoilers as well so be careful if you are not caught up):

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/08/neil-marshall-game-of-thrones-interview

Since you mention Scarlett Johansson and no superpowers, what about a Black Widow movie?

I would love to do a Black Widow movie. That’s perfect, I would love to do that. That character is really interesting, she doesn’t have any superpowers, she just has extraordinary skills, and the world that she comes from, being this ex-K.G.B. assassin, I find that really fascinating, yeah.

If they did do a Black Widow movie, how do you think Marshall would do? Myself I would LOVE him doing a Black Widow movie.

I've seen nothing he's written, directed, or produced, so I can't really say. He seems like the kind of person Marvel might be interested in.

However, I'll caution that he was asked a question that he answered. He hasn't thought about this and come up with a great vision for Black Widow, so who knows if he'd be a good fit?

Neil Marshall would love to direct A Black Widow Solo film (Game of Thrones Spoilers as well so be careful if you are not caught up):

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/08/neil-marshall-game-of-thrones-interview

If they did do a Black Widow movie, how do you think Marshall would do? Myself I would LOVE him doing a Black Widow movie.

This alone would make me interested in a Black Widow movie. Dog Soldiers is great and The Descent is incredible. He can deftly balance balls-out action, suspense, humor, and genuine characterization/vulnerability like nobody's business, and he's great with female characters.

I like Marshall a lot but I'd rather he do something a bit more interesting. I like Black Widow, but I don't find her interesting enough for a solo film. While I agree that Marvel needs to release some female-centric movies, I fear a Black Widow solo film would just come off like another dull Le Femme Nikita retread.

Does Black Widow have any villains established as belonging to her comic? I'd love her to face the Chameleon, but I'm almost positive he's a Spider-Man exclusive.

Does Black Widow have any villains established as belonging to her comic? I'd love her to face the Chameleon, but I'm almost positive he's a Spider-Man exclusive.

There's another Black Widow, Yelena Belova. Red Guardian who is like the Russian equivalent of Captain America and used to be married to Widow. He led the Supreme Soviets in Widowmaker mini, a team that included Crimson Dynamo.

There's another Black Widow, Yelena Belova. Red Guardian who is like the Russian equivalent of Captain America and used to be married to Widow. He led the Supreme Soviets in Widowmaker mini, a team that included Crimson Dynamo.

I'd love a movie that had her deal with her past with the Red Guardian.

If a Black Widow movie must happen (which I am still not a fan of), I think they could re-appropriate Ghost to as a BW villain to great effect. Given the choice, I actually think Ghost would be potentially be better as BW villain than an Iron Man villain.

Ghost would be cool, I'd have to agree. I'm guessing she really doesn't have her own Rogue's Gallery exclusive to her?

Ghost would be cool, I'd have to agree. I'm guessing she really doesn't have her own Rogue's Gallery exclusive to her?

Not to my knowledge, no. She doesn't have a particularly extensive publication history as a solo character.

I've never been too keen on a BW movie, but a netflix miniseries would be great, especially If they went with the Black widow/Winter soldier route.

Last edited:
If a Black Widow movie must happen (which I am still not a fan of), I think they could re-appropriate Ghost to as a BW villain to great effect. Given the choice, I actually think Ghost would be potentially be better as BW villain than an Iron Man villain.

That's a pretty good idea if it's set current day

I've never been too keen on a BW movie, but a netflix miniseries would be great, especially If they went with the Black widow/Winter soldier route.

Scarlett Johansson is not going to do a Netflix miniseries, never. The only way would be with a lesser known actress but that would be pointless.

Hmm I don't see why she wouldn't I know she's big and at the top of her game but I could see it. On the other hand I'd take a BW/WS team up movie.

Scarlett Johansson is not going to do a Netflix miniseries, never. The only way would be with a lesser known actress but that would be pointless.

I'm sure, at one point, people would have said that about Kevin Spacey as well.

I too am lukewarm on a BW movie. Don't get me wrong, I love the character, but I don't think she opens too many doors in the "expand the MCU" sense... not in a way that characters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel would.

I think a good way to get Black Widow on TV would be to cast a really young actress (I'm thinking very early 20's) that somewhat resembles Johansson and do a prequel series set in the early/mid 2000's. 80% of the show would center around her as an antihero working for a post-KGB secret Russian intelligence organization, and the last 20% on her realizing that this organization is run by some seriously evil SOBs and being recruited into SHIELD. If Renner could cameo (or even guest star) it would be perfect. In the series finale, she could be shown getting plastic surgery to enable her to continue working as a spy for SHIELD and a single shot of Johansson post-op. :) Maybe they'd consider it too similar to Agent Carter... but I think it would be quite a lot of fun.

I very much want a BW solo movie, or at least a BW/Hawkeye team up. Marshall would be a good fit. As for her rogues, I'd go with Black Lotus, or maybe Yelena (the 2nd BW who can take over after ScarJo is done), or Attackoid who is an android created by AIM that possesses the fighting skills of Natasha. Osaku might be cool, too. And while I'm pretty sure he's with Fox, Omega Red would have been an awesome villain to use.

Last edited:
a Black Widow movie would be cool, but I feel we've seen enough of her in three soon to be four movies, so Id preffer a new female movie, and since Ms Marvel has actual powers and could bring epic visuals, she feels like a much more intersting choice, to explore a new character, her world, and plenty of new secondary characters.

but thats my take.

I am sure of it too. But Kevin Spacey is not doing multi million dollar hits like SJ is doing.

Netflix is a place for actors to show their craft. Big-budget actors and actresses are flocking to it, not for the cash, but to prove their chops. I strongly doubt Scarjo would snob up and turn down a dramatic series on Netflix, especially one featuring Black Widow.

At the very least, I'd LOVE to see Natasha have at least one episode with Daredevil. The history between Matt and Natasha covers decades in the comics; it'd be nice to get at least a fanboy nod to that in the DD series, and a neat shout-out to the larger MCU.

I've only seen The Descent, which I did think was good, but Idunno...

Still, if Marvel were to approve of Marshall, I would support the choice. They seem to be making good choices with their directors, just like they have with their casts. (Seriously, whoever makes these decisions deserves all the bonuses -- these folks are brilliant).

Why not? Its not like she's been averse to doing lower budget stuff. Lucy only cost 40M to make; that's about in line with the budget for each individual Netflix show.

a Black Widow movie would be cool, but I feel we've seen enough of her in three soon to be four movies, so Id preffer a new female movie, and since Ms Marvel has actual powers and could bring epic visuals, she feels like a much more intersting choice, to explore a new character, her world, and plenty of new secondary characters.

but thats my take.

Admittedly I get most my science news from angry guys on TV and comic books, but I keep hearing about how - what, with all the radical societal changes and unconventional modern living going on all the time - the fundamental framework of reality is constantly being destroyed. Apparently it's really messing with quantum engineering or advanced bionuclear physics or something altering the very laws of nature. Some scientists claim we may experience impossible phenomena challenging our basic understanding of how the universe works. Who knows? We might even get studios who are able produce multiple woman-led franchises simultaneously. :cwink:

Of course those are likely just fringe conspiracy theorists. Here in the real world I guess we'll just have to continue making sure we only ever give focus to one female character at a time, least the laws of physics be smashed apart.

(Just in case it isn't clear: that was a dig at movie studios and not you.)

lol. I get your point.

It would be awesome if we got one Black Widow movie, one Ms Marvel movie, and some more, but Marvel track record in the latest 6 years have been all male lead movies, so I dont expect that to change drastically in the next 6 years (sadly). One female movie, sure, two, highly unlikely, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"