Smallville Tom Welling - Clark Kent/Superman : The Man Behind The Cape

Love this art from the first episode of Smallville

MMiATrrU_2005181753241sbpi.jpeg

Some of ny other favorite pictures!
nbfpWWGA19CsKtD0ZDr-rDRDOVmIZi3q6wXtribTpFc.jpg d1k7fcv-b400a962-1a84-4f58-9aab-3c3b460235b9.jpg hqdefault.jpg

(News article taken from ComicBookMovie.com)

Tom Welling Talks Scrapped Arrowverse Plans; Open to Playing Superman Again

We don't usually hear Tom Welling talk about his time as Superman Clark Kent in Smallville, but during a recent interview with YouTube channel El mundo geek de Ernestoneitor, the actor shared a few fun pieces of information. For starters, the Smallville alum confirmed that his friend, Stephen Amell, actually wanted him to appear in episodes of Arrow.

He was presumably supposed to play a different character (similar to Dean Cain in Supergirl), but it sounds like plans for him in Crisis on Infinite Earths ultimately derailed that.

"Stephen is a friend of mine," Welling started. "We actually had an idea but then the Crisis thing was a bigger idea and it took it away from that, but he had an idea of me doing an arc on Arrow."

It's no secret that Welling never wanted to wear Superman's costume, and that's why the Smallville finale only depicted him in the iconic outfit either from a distance or from the chest up. However, Crisis seemingly pointed to a willingness to reprise the role, so would he be open to a cameo in The Flash?

"Yeah, I think that would be cool," he admitted. "My buddy Rob Pattinson, he is going to be the new Batman. I would love...it would be fun to be the Superman that shows up in his movie, just because he is a friend of mine. Yeah, who knows."

Well, we know that won't be happening, but The Flash might not be off the table depending on how much of the DC Multiverse Warner Bros. intends to explore with that movie.

Would you be interested in seeing more of Welling's Man of Steel?

I think he may be saying this because he knows he has nothing to worry about lol! I would love to see it happen, I just doubt it at this point in time.

rpview.ashx

Bit of a U-turn from Tom who has famously avoided verbalising any kind of intent to play Superman (as opposed to Clark Kent) before. But hey, he's older now, remarried, one kid and another on the way, maybe he's mellowed out a bit and thought why the hell not.

Hm, not much to go with there.
Part of me would like to find out if he would really be down to wearing a Superman suit.
And of course the curiousity in seeing if Tom Welling in a Superman suit would have worked.

You could do some fun stuff with Reeves Earth 2 and Superman, so i think spitballing this idea isnt the worst.
Its something we could talk about.
But i think this is Welling just seeing if a Dialogue could happen.

Hm, not much to go with there.
Part of me would like to find out if he would really be down to wearing a Superman suit.
And of course the curiousity in seeing if Tom Welling in a Superman suit would have worked.

You could do some fun stuff with Reeves Earth 2 and Superman, so i think spitballing this idea isnt the worst.
Its something we could talk about.
But i think this is Welling just seeing if a Dialogue could happen.

Some people have said he would be willing to don the costume on a big budget film, rather than a TV budget. Which might be true? Idk. I thought he was offered the Superman role in that "Flyby" movie, but did he turn that down?

But like elgaz said, maybe over time he's just mellowed out and thought why not?

If he was in Battinson's universe, I could see him playing a disgruntled Superman who maybe just gave up on being Superman. On the flip side, he has a sort of Kingdom Come Superman look to him, which would be cool to see in Flashpoint.

Superman:Flyby

Christopher Reeve was to be a project consultant, citing Tom Welling, who portrayed the teenage Clark Kent in Smallville as an ideal candidate. Reeve added "the character is more important than the actor who plays him, because it is an enduring mythology. It definitely should be an unknown." In addition Paul Walker was offered the role, while Ashton Kutcher screen tested and Brendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer auditioned. Kutcher decided not to accept the role, citing scheduling conflicts with That '70s Show and the Superman curse, as well as typecasting.

Today marks the 10th Anniversary of the finale of SMALLVILLE. While we didn't see Welling in the suit. We did get Superman all the same.

tumblr_m41w7ipcjL1r9laud540 (1).gif

I’m going to rewatch the finale tonight in honor of the 10th anniversary!

I was also hoping Tom would reprise Ultraman for the Crisis so we can see an opening shot of him making a final stand against the Antimatter wave like in the comics.

I have long accepted that Tom was never going to be Superman because he has no interest in playing Superman.

Cool to hear Welling say he would play Superman in a film if they asked him. I guess we are probably at a point where they might not ever ask him to, and he feels comfortable saying he would haha! But who knows. After the success of a certain rival to DC... Maybe they should consider pulling out all the fireworks. It was also interesting to hear they tried to put him in a Superman suit in the beginning or Season 2. Of course he said he wasn't going to, and asked who are they replacing him with lol!

man, imagine the reaction to this back in like 2006 lol

Welling convo is about 31 minutes in

Last edited:
I can 100% believe Tom Welling rubbed Brandon Routh the wrong way during 2006. I think Tom was running on fumes by that point. It sounded like stressful for him. I think he's even admitted himself he would be short with people and didn't appreciate his time on Smallville as much while filming as he does now that it's over lol.

Would be interesting what the reaction would have been for sure lol.

Tom’s miniseries Professionals makes it premiere tomorrow October 11th on the CW network

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"