Age of Extinction Transformers 4 is going to be AWESOME. - Part 2

But the reason Bryan Singer's return worked was because he had a clear and strong vision, people didn't automaticaly start going because of his name, thing is, if you get a Director that can improve upon the quality and shortcomings of Bay's films, you can get more people to go see this. I'm quite sure that a film of this brand that's not as dispised by the critics would be able to get certain people to go watch it too.

While it didn't have a change in Direction by that point, Fast Five was able to get a renewed interest by the public, changing its attitude that paid off in both the box office and critical reception.

Whatever additional qualities Singer brought to the film is another element. I'm simply pointing to the message it sends. Simply put, Vin Diesel leaves the Fast films, the branding isn't exactly the same, he comes back and it's that 'thing' again.
That's not to say the recent films haven't been really good in their own right, it's to say that he's very much associated with the brand in the minds of the GA and making these same films without him is a different sell.

There is a name association happening. If you have some better director literally step into Avatar right now, it's a different thing, better film or not. That's what I think anyways. Sure someone can come around and make a 'better' tf film, but just what is it exactly that has been selling these films thus far? 'quality' as we know it or brand.

Whatever additional qualities Singer brought to the film is another element. I'm simply pointing to the message it sends. Simply put, Vin Diesel leaves the Fast films, the branding isn't exactly the same, he comes back and it's that 'thing' again.
That's not to say the recent films haven't been really good in their own right, it's to say that he's very much associated with the brand in the minds of the GA and making these same films without him is a different sell.

There is a name association happening. If you have some better director literally step into Avatar right now, it's a different thing, better film or not. That's what I think anyways. Sure someone can come around and make a 'better' tf film, but just what is it exactly that has been selling these films thus far? 'quality' as we know it or brand.

There's also the issue that Michael Bay is 49 years old and may want to make different movies while he still can.

Personally, I think he's more interested in pushing the boundries of action spectacle in his movies and seeing just how much bigger he can go each time as opposed to wanting to expand and diversify his directing portfolio.

Not to mention the money...

There's also the issue that Michael Bay is 49 years old and may want to make different movies while he still can.

I'm talking why the studio would want to keep him. I have little doubt he has other things on his mind. 4 straight installments has to be pushing some sort of director record.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/transformers-4-foreign-box-office-1201265546/

“Transformers: Age of Extinction” has emerged as the summer’s biggest global smash, racking up another $81.2 million this weekend and dominating the foreign charts.

The Paramount release debuted in seven new territories last weekend including Brazil, where it opened to $16.5 million, Germany with a $11.9 million bow and France with a $8.8 million score. In China, the picture finally seems to be slowing down, dropping 60% in its fourth week of release and adding $9.6 million to its hefty $285.7 million haul. The picture is a bigger hit in the People’s Republic than it is in the United States.

“Age of Extinction’s” worldwide total stands at $886.2 million.

Speaks for itself, man. When the entire goddamn planet is paying to see these movies & 4 times in a row at that it's not a fluke.

Paramount will make sure this gets to $1 Billion no doubt

Speaks for itself, man. When the entire goddamn planet is paying to see these movies & 4 times in a row at that it's not a fluke.

The only other film to do something like that(scale wise) and not be some starwars prequel or LOTR has been pirates and maybe hungergames. This thing has about the same branding as GIjoe and less than Ninja Turtles.

Paramount is definitely sitting pretty with this franchise. Depending on where everything falls this year, it might top all categories(save for domestic opening/total to THG).

Age of Extinction should finish with approximately ~1.01 billion worldwide.

Only that? 1 Billion is nothing, we all know Paramount hates those results and the franchise is obviously dying :o

They could do dozens of these movies, I'd go watch them every single time, aside from the first one, they're not "good" movies, but they sure are entertaining & fun. My usual taste is indies & story driven, emotional stories, although I do love superhero movies & blockbusters overall, but these Transformers movies, it's something else.

There's just something fascinating to me about 2 hours & 30 min of gigantic explosions, of orgasmic sound design & action & CG, of giant robots destroying stuff & fighting.

The Transformers movies are like McDonalds....no one admits to liking it but someone is eating it

There's just something fascinating to me about 2 hours & 30 min of gigantic explosions, of orgasmic sound design & action & CG, of giant robots destroying stuff & fighting.
Apparently it's not that fascinating to everyone for there are a good amount of other films that have '2hours plus' of explosions and big sound design/robots/cgi and they don't do all that well(almost consistently). Between battleship, salvation and pacific rim I'm sure the shareholders are scratching their collective heads at why the 'formula' didn't pan out.

The Transformers movies are like McDonalds....no one admits to liking it but someone is eating it

I think if entertainment was measured by 'quality' the top money makers every year would fall during the award season. Like Burger joints, it's not about 'quality' but rather pleasing an engaging with a market. The whopper is one of my favorite meals ever, I 'love it'. I'm not sure it has all the makings of a five star meal or the nutrition of some whole food exercise but that's not my measure no matter how many times some group or establishment declare it should be.

Taste(when it's not conditioned) is one of those few things we ourselves own. Well most of us anyways.

The net does like to say that nobody liked these films and that they only go to McDonalds because it's cheap (when there are plenty of more nutritious and much less expensive places to buy food), but in real life it's the complete oposite for me, i see people loving these films and not seeing how they are any worse than other more criticaly acclaimed movies, while not everyone seems to be willing to spend their money on going to places like McDonalds all the time, even though they enjoy the food there.

Basically like fast food, you can eat that **** once in a while so long as you balance it out with healthy stuff and you workout. Same with entertainment, I can go see Transformers three times in a weekend but I also have to balance it out with some more thought provoking entertainment later that week.

^Exactly, I go to the TF movies for mindless fun and thats exactly what I get. Plus people from the GA actually like these movies, the numbers speak for themselves.

The net does like to say that nobody liked these films and that they only go to McDonalds because it's cheap (when there are plenty of more nutritious and much less expensive places to buy food)...
The thing is all movies cost the same, if anything these premium features cost more....

Basically like fast food, you can eat that **** once in a while so long as you balance it out with healthy stuff and you workout. Same with entertainment, I can go see Transformers three times in a weekend but I also have to balance it out with some more thought provoking entertainment later that week.
The trouble is we all watch and celebrate plenty of films that aren't thought provoking, that are silly and nonsense it just becomes some mass conversational talking point when it happens with this film as opposed to say Neighbors or something like that.

It's fun. That's why people go.

I love that this year has so much diversity in film making. My top films this year are all completely different from eachother. Not every film needs to meet the same criteria or a viewers opinion on what defines "quality" entertainment. Would be a boring industry/form of media if that were the case. I like variety.

Last edited:
A lot of ****** movies do big business overseas.

Even Amazing Spider-Man 2 did a huge international box office take. Doesn't change the fact that both this and Amazing Spider-Man 2 were the least popular installments of the franchises in the US.

It's escapism. No matter what area of the world you're in we all agree life sucks. :o

A lot of ****** movies do big business overseas.

Even Amazing Spider-Man 2 did a huge international box office take. Doesn't change the fact that both this and Amazing Spider-Man 2 were the least popular installments of the franchises in the US.
Lots(and lots) more do small business overseas and world wide. What's more, even less (good or bad)movies do a billion, that includes ASM2. You hop into the BvS threads and taste the debates about just how hard the billion number is supposedly going to be, yet here it's belittled to no end, 'lots of crap movies and such'.

The question is how often is a forth installment the most successful in any string of a franchise, especially within the context of Reboot? Looking at spiderman for example..It's kinda the territory with 'part 4'. Moreover, it's not that hard to be the worst performer when all the other ones are well over 300. If you take the avengers thing away and have an Ironman 4 with a new cast and setting and expect it not to be the weakest domestic performer.

It is new to hear detractors actually talk about TF's box office as it relates to quality for once. I suppose this is the circumstance that would mandate such a turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"