Ultraviolet?

Chris Wallace

LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
Reaction score
The opening sequence of this-ahem, film was a series of comic book cover art. Was there ever a comic book to this character/storyline? If so, did anybody read it? And if so, why?

From what I've read about the movie there isn't an Ultraviolet comic book. The opening was a conceit of the director.

Yeah there was no comic. And the comic on the official site was made just for the movie...

Basically they were tryin' to sucker us into watchin' it.

I doubted it, honestly, but I wanted to check. Somehow a comic about supersoldiers who aren't really supersoldiers but people infected with a virus but aren't really sick but they're vampires who have no craving for blood-just doesn't sound like it would have a big following.

I saw it this weekend. It was "meh". Basically, they tried to make a live-action anime that falls short. The story is pretty convoluted, even though it started out well. It's pretty easy to see where the studio booted Wimmer and took over the film and basically killed his vision and any semblance of it making sense. I'm a fan of Wimmer's other work, particularly "Equilibrium", and it's pretty easy to see what he had in mind before things got botched by the studio. Too bad he didn't get to realize his vision.

jag

That was part of the problem; even the fight scenes lacked originality. It felt too much like "Equilibrium revisited". And I didn't like "Equilibrium" so much as I liked Bale in it.

The worst thing about the movie is that by their having used that intro, it kills any hope of a comic book cover opening sequence being used in a better film.

Yeah, but you can just go see another Marvel movie and get that back :p

While I wasn't overly impressed by the movie, it kept me entertained for the 85 minutes it ran. It was better than Bloodrayne, which really isn't that big of an accomplishment.

Unlike Mr. Wallace though, I did like equilibrium some, more specifically the "Gun Fu" stuff...which Ultraviolet has as well....very nice if you ask me.

I'm not saying I didn't like "Equilibrium" at all.

Chris Wallace said:
I'm not saying I didn't like "Equilibrium" at all.

I got what you were saying about the similarities between how Violet fought in this film and the "Gun-Kata" stuff from "Equilibrium". I think "Equilibrium"'s underlying socio-political commentary about government control, totalitarianism, censorship and personal freedom was very well constructred and excecuted. The commentary Wimmer was trying to make with "Ultraviolet" ultimately got diluted down and even fragmented when the studio took over. I could see the remnants of what he had intended to do, but the studio fubar'd it.

jag

Perhaps if the "story" could've been somewhat consistent; you needed a scorecard to keep track of what the hell it was supposed to be about.

Chris Wallace said:
Perhaps if the "story" could've been somewhat consistent; you needed a scorecard to keep track of what the hell it was supposed to be about.

Yep, and I blame the studio for that. I've read that Wimmer wasn't happy with what they'd done to his story in the editing room. I can understand why, having seen the film. It begs the question of whether he'll ever get the opportunity to release a director's cut at some point.

jag

I certainly hoping so....the studio became a concern for me when I read the the running time was reduced to 85 minutes....you know that they're cutting a lot of stuff down to do that.

Another problem I saw was the rating...this was a PG-13 that begged for an R. I think the studio reached for the wrong crowd.

You can't help but compare it with Equilibrium, there are so many similarities, and if we do that with both of these points, 85 minutes vs 107 and PG-13 vs R. Perhaps we should start a petition to get an unrated DVD.

I don't think it will help. There wasn't one scene I liked from this movie. My wife was pissed at me for making her sit through it. I was pissed at me for sitting through it. It was just bad from start to finish.

Oh, I don't know....I can think of at least 1 scene that was pretty good for me, in an im-mature teenage boy kind of way *snicker*

Cryostar1177 said:
Oh, I don't know....I can think of at least 1 scene that was pretty good for me, in an im-mature teenage boy kind of way *snicker*

LOL! :D I suppose it also depends on what was left on the cutting room floor. The story and film might be and look a whole lot different if Wimmer were able to do the cut of it that he wanted to.

jag

<- is now praying for an Un-rated version to come out on DVD.

<- is also hoping to see more of Mila. :)

I honestly think more time could have been spent on the story, and less on trying to get her into that building in the beginning. I mean honestly, did we really need to see every little thing that she has to go through to get into that place?

DarKush said:
From what I've read about the movie there isn't a Ultraviolet comic book. The opening was a conceit of the director.

Good for the director! I am always excited to see someone do something oof thei own accord since it happens so rarely.:up:

I've never heard of an ultra-violet game, but i dont like the gamecube either...

This was one of the worse movies i saw this year.

It's a good thing that the year is still young...there's bound to be something worse to come out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"