Van Lente Is A Stern "Taskmaster"

I don't like the retcons to Taskmaster's origin, but the story as a whole has been pretty entertaining. I hope Van Lente leaves some doubt as to whether this is really Taskmaster's life before becoming the Taskmaster or not, which will allow later writers to ignore the retcons.

I don't like the retcons to Taskmaster's origin, but the story as a whole has been pretty entertaining. I hope Van Lente leaves some doubt as to whether this is really Taskmaster's life before becoming the Taskmaster or not, which will allow later writers to ignore the retcons.

Do you dislike the origin story that much? I haven't minded it. No one else told it, and no one else was going to tell it. At least he's not a mutant.

I liked the idea of Taskmaster's origin as the very simple tale of someone who realized he had a power and decided, rather than help people, he could profit off of it. A blue-collar villain's origin. This whole "SHIELD agent who turned bad because he drank a serum so he could save people" thing just overcomplicates it and shifts the character to a whole different thing.

The gimmick was that because of Taskmaster's "condition", he didn't remember his own origin himself. This condition could have been getting worse over the years and he didn't know for a while, and by the time he did, a lot was lost. I don't mind the origin that he basically injected yet another attempt at a super soldier serum into himself. He's still a blue collar villain, he just has an origin that has more to work with now. I mean, look at the mileage Wolverine got with his origin. :p

I don't mind it. Him being an ex-SHIELD agent isn't far fetched. And if he wasn't a mutant, then I'd rather his powers came from SOMETHING rather than one of those, "I was born with a super power that no human could possibly have, yet I am magically not a mutant" like Finesse, Bullseye, and Echo. No one else told his origin and Fred Van Lente usually knows what he's doing.

I will be curious whether Christos Gage utilizes anything in this series when he has Taskmaster pop up in AVENGERS ACADEMY. Before Van Lente, he was the one who has really focused on Taskmaster lately.

Just read the Mini recently. I don't really like the change at all. So all we've known about him before, about him developing his abilities at a young age, copying stuff off of TV while he still was a child and how he eventually got into the villain business by training thugs, all this supposedly didn't happen anymore?

I prefer my Taskmaster who's kind of a jerk/dick, and still has a good streak hidden somewhere, to a Taskmaster who was always one of the good guys, just can't remember he was good and might eventually turn good again.

Ditto. I prefer Taskmaster as a purely amoral figure--a merc through and through, willing to fight for or against anyone for the right price and so long as the risks aren't too outrageous. The kind of guy who's not too proud to just up and run from an impractical fight, like he did with Iron Man in the Udon mini-series.

I really hope a future writer marries the two minis since I liked bits of both, but really loved the UDON stuff. Explain that the whole massive blackout of memory is just a recent thing triggered by someone (OSBOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRNE!) and say that all the Udon stuff is true, but buried. Or even have it that, he did have the abilities as a kid, but it had certain limits. The abilities known only to him allowed him to become a shield agent with great ease, and then, upon getting the formula it gave him the modern day boost or something.

I loved the new mini, but I just don't like that all the awesome times with Deadpool (the Kelly days, the Udon/ Simone days, and even the recent team up against Dark Avengers) are forgotten.

I want to see more Taskmaster overall though. :(

He just did so much awesome **** back then. Now we are to believe that every once in a while he forgot everything, practically ended up being a blank slate, and each and every time got put on assignments by his handler/wife? This is utter nonsense.

I'm glad that Taskmaster gained this popularity over the years, even ending up in Marvel VS Capcom 3 (F**k yes! :awesome:), but this shouldn't be a reason to turn him into a good guy. But if you have to do it, then let him turn a new leaf like the Thunderbolts did. None of this ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. crap.

Personally, I'd prefer him remaining a merc, who every once in a while does something good, because someone like Deadpool asks him to help out. In return for a decent paycheck of course.

Seriously. And I want that Taskmaster costume too. I've never been a fan of the weird pirate thing he wears these days. His light shield was awesome too, but I guess Steve has a monopoly on those now.

Taskmaster's UDON costume is the best costume he ever had. I do think they should combine elements of his old costume and his UDON costume though.

Man, those shots above reminded me of how great those days were. :argh: I miss 'em! Give ol' Tasky an on going with his new costume Marvel! It'd be great! At the very least get the Agent X and crew to guest star! I may be wrong since I've stopped reading Way, but I don't think they've been alongside Wade save for Bob's short appearance near the start of the book.

Seriously. And I want that Taskmaster costume too. I've never been a fan of the weird pirate thing he wears these days. His light shield was awesome too, but I guess Steve has a monopoly on those now.
Taskmaster stole that s*** from Steve in the first place. :)

I just loved that whole SWAT/Ninja/Hong Kong-Cinema-Action thing he had going on during the UDON run. He was a bit more like Deadpool, with the dual guns and Katana, but he fought like the effin' Silver Samurai. So that was awesome.

And he still had Wolverine Claws, webs and the Shield with that hard-light device. Also loved the added ability to mimic voices, coupled with the image inducer. He was like the damn Chameleon. But way more badass.

I love the energy weapons for the simple fact that they're way more pragmatic than carrying a whole goddamn arsenal around, and Taskie's nothing if not a pragmatist.

I'm already getting tired just seeing him lugging all that stuff around.

I wonder why they ignored everything from the UDON run. Changing the costume is one thing, but that device just made so much freaking sense. Taskmaster is a guy who can copy fighting styles and the use of different weapons in moments. So a device that can create different shapes and provide him with whatever he needs for the moment, is just perfect for him.

One of the creators probably just liked the visual of Taskmaster with a bunch of stuff. The energy device might be more practical, but the big bundle of weapons is more visually indicative of Taskmaster's fighting-style-copying schtick.

The costume I chalk up to nostalgia, plain and simple. The UDON costume was a much more streamlined aesthetic, but it also did away with Taskmaster's distinctive color scheme and his creepy-ass skull mask. I believe one of the creators even mentioned that in an interview, that they went back to the original costume primarily because they liked that creepy-looking skull mask over the more high tech UDON mask.

Just read the Mini recently. I don't really like the change at all. So all we've known about him before, about him developing his abilities at a young age, copying stuff off of TV while he still was a child and how he eventually got into the villain business by training thugs, all this supposedly didn't happen anymore?

I prefer my Taskmaster who's kind of a jerk/dick, and still has a good streak hidden somewhere, to a Taskmaster who was always one of the good guys, just can't remember he was good and might eventually turn good again.

I liked his recent mini; I thought it added a layer of depth and tragedy to him besides, "he's just a guy with a built in gimmick". Because let's be honest - nobody wanted to do much with that guy for decades. Occasionally he'd pop up in a good caper series in the last decade, but not usually. And few writers at Marvel see capable of handling a completely mercenary, professional style character and making something called "practicality" and "picking your battles" seem like competence and a threat. Only villains who become raving lunatics and fight to the last seem to hit that level - even Bullseye has long been in that camp.

Now, every time I see Taskmaster, even if it is a standard appearance where he fights someone, I'll have that Van Lente mini series to think back on and know there is that tragedy at the end. It makes little sense why Taskmaster keeps himself so hidden from everyone normally, but after that mini it does make sense why he can't face it.

He was cool when he was "just a guy", but I think adding that depth and tragedy to him has done just that - added something.

As for his other memories? The mini explained it. He's a master at faking knowing people he has never met or doesn't recall. And his memories are such a mess that it gets hard to recall what is real and what is him making up things he needs as he goes along, or assuming things since he doesn't remember. If Taskmaster doesn't remember taking that serum, then he would rightly assume he'd just been inborn with the talent and stuff jumbles together in his head to make false memories. I mean, it makes more psychological sense than Weapon X literally having fake movie sets in a back lot to fool Logan and Silver Fox.

Still, I did like his UDON gear. However, I also like Jefte Palo's techique of super-imposing an image of the character whose skills Taskmaster was using in a particular scene, so he or the narration wouldn't have to just rattle off people. To be fair, UDON often did similar things, such as showing which character he was utilizing skills from as his motions were broken up (such as using Daredevil's agility or Punisher's hand gun skill).

To be honest, what Taskmaster needs more these days is some notable wins in the take down corner. It's great seeing him take down new characters in a mini, but he needs to beat or put up a good showing against some more notable characters. His draw against Iron Man in 2002 was literally his best outing against a named opponent until SIEGE, where he fought the James Barnes Capt. America to a draw (as well as killed some Asgardians and fought 2/3rds of the Warriors Three to a draw - feats diminished by how easily Asgardians were killed during that event). On the other hand, he's lost to Moon Knight and Deadpool definitively in the more recent past. And Moon Knight is a guy who was once literally defeated and crippled by a villain so lame, the Scourge killed him (the Fly). Not saying he has to kill anyone, but, like, if the Hulk can occasionally smack down people every few years to prove how awesome he is, then occasionally Taskmaster should be allowed to beat Wolverine in a fight or something.

I believe one of the creators even mentioned that in an interview, that they went back to the original costume primarily because they liked that creepy-looking skull mask over the more high tech UDON mask.

Which would be ok, if we didn't already have guys with creepy skull faces. But I find it kind of amusing that a guy, who worked so many years under the radar and earns his living by training thugs, wears the stuff he wears. You'd think he wouldn't want to be so noticable.

Eh, look at the world he lives in. I doubt anyone even notices him. :oldrazz:

I'm already getting tired just seeing him lugging all that stuff around.

I wonder why they ignored everything from the UDON run. Changing the costume is one thing, but that device just made so much freaking sense. Taskmaster is a guy who can copy fighting styles and the use of different weapons in moments. So a device that can create different shapes and provide him with whatever he needs for the moment, is just perfect for him.

One rule that I have gone by in comics, that seems to often be true, is the things that make the most sense never last, or rarely come to fruition.

Example; Marvel wants to put out more live action TV shows, and "RUNAWAYS" at least has proven too expensive to make into a film right away. They have ties to a guy, Joss Whedon, who may be directing "THE AVENGERS" but is not only more at home on TV, he is a fan of RUNAWAYS and wrote the comic for a while. The franchise would better fit a TV series than a film, and the comics provide at least 3-4 seasons of material to mine. The tract should be obvious...too obvious. Marvel won't do it. Makes too much sense.

Plus, nostalgia usually matters more than functionality to artists and writers.

On the other hand, he's lost to Moon Knight and Deadpool definitively in the more recent past.

That never happened! Not because he lost, but because they made him whine like a little b**ch! And they made him a ***** that's too afraid to fight a single guy, unless they make sure he has no allies and is injured. :argh:

That never happened! Not because he lost, but because they made him whine like a little b**ch! And they made him a ***** that's too afraid to fight a single guy, unless they make sure he has no allies and is injured. :argh:

Yeah, that sucked. And to think Charlie Huston wasn't considered bad once upon a time. His WOLVERINE: THE BEST THERE IS has probably been the most critically panned Marvel launch in years.

So, after this Mini, has there actually been any word on what Taskmaster's future is going to be? Has he currently any notable appearances in any comics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"