Van Lente Is A Stern "Taskmaster"

Mercedes USED to steer Taskmaster to whatever evil organization or group that Nick Fury wanted her to look into, but she has since gone rogue after Fury basically dropped off the map after SECRET WAR.

But she is STILL steering him. She's unsupervised by any authority and most of the things Taskmaster did, is pretty much on her. The last page of the Mini even shows you why she still does it, because Taskmaster can't function without her. If he always forgets who he is, he would just be stumbling around in the world.

I suppose I don't mind Taskmaster not being "a real bad guy" in that classical sense. But it depends on how you define it. He thinks he is a bad guy so he acts like one. He does bad things and often fights heroes, or trains villains. He's always been a guy who straddled the edge between villain and anti-hero in the past, depending on who he was protecting and who was cutting the check, so I see this as extending off that.

But what happens when he finally gets his conditioned cured? Will he start being a good guy, trying to make amends for all the bad things he did in the past? Will he refuse to take the cure, forget about it in a week or month and then be confronted with the choice again? With his brain condition, we'd be going in circles.

Or why is it that his wife keeps him as a bad guy? Why not actually feed him with information that makes him think he's one of the good guys? Or at least someone like Punisher who offs the criminal element.

I would imagine the time that Taskmaster remembers stuff may vary. "The Org" is the fail safe for when his memory is totally blank. It may take weeks or days each time. It was implied that it was something that got worse over time. Taskmaster was STILL the one who decided it was more profitable using his powers to get ahead, anyway. He may have taken the serum for Mercedes, but he rarely remembers her for long, anyway. He was interested in some random women in AGENT X a while ago, right?

There's Sandi from his first Mini and Agent X run. Last I saw them together, they ended up a couple. Now she must wonder why he disappeared and never calls again.

I see the origin as explaining why Taskmaster hasn't shifted into full on psycho mode or why he hasn't attained a certain level of status, besides the real world reason of "writers barely used him for years at a time". I mean he easily could have become the head of a major organization and a grand super villain in the 80's or 90's if anyone bothered to. He could have slain a slew of heroes by now if he wanted to. I mean, he never once tried to bring in Spider-Man whenever he had a bounty on him. Van Lente at least set up an in story reason why Taskmaster has had that "invisible wall" in his career, beyond him just playing too safe forever.

I chalk that up to having no real ambition. He has this amazing talent and could be one of the real big villains, but it's all just too bothersome and requires too much work. He doesn't want to rule a country, swim in a tub of money or whatever. How did that one comic say, he just wants to be able to buy a new car every year and eat steak whenever he wants.

Having family members motivate change isn't a bad thing, and it actually further connects him to his buddy Constrictor. He has a daughter and once stuck up for an abused kid in some MCP story.

What does MCP stand for again? Looks like I'm having some sort of memory condition right now as well.

This is brainstorming, but I think Marvel could use a team of villains who are "professionals" in the sense that, to a degree, Flash's Rogues are. Like a team of villains who don't bring in psychosis or revenge fetishes, but are just out to do a job, get a score and escape clean. The sort of team you might imagine Taskmaster, Shocker, and Constrictor being good on. Sort of like a supervillain's OCEAN'S 11 that operates around Marvel.

Dude, I would love that.

Super villain Ocean's 11? Please let this come together! It'd be something nice from "Bluuuuuddd thurstttttyyyyy madneeeeessss" guys.

There's already been a supervillain Ocean's 11. It was called MODOK's 11 and it was awesome. Coincidentally, it was also written by Fred Van Lente.

I shall seek out this MODODK's 11 then.

But she is STILL steering him. She's unsupervised by any authority and most of the things Taskmaster did, is pretty much on her. The last page of the Mini even shows you why she still does it, because Taskmaster can't function without her. If he always forgets who he is, he would just be stumbling around in the world.

Right, but she's a safety net. After she "updates" him enough he is probably good to go for a while.

But what happens when he finally gets his conditioned cured? Will he start being a good guy, trying to make amends for all the bad things he did in the past? Will he refuse to take the cure, forget about it in a week or month and then be confronted with the choice again? With his brain condition, we'd be going in circles.

Or why is it that his wife keeps him as a bad guy? Why not actually feed him with information that makes him think he's one of the good guys? Or at least someone like Punisher who offs the criminal element.

See, the new mini opens the door to all those options, so you have a choice for a Taskmaster story besides a caper script if you so desire one. Not that capers can't be fun, of course.

Mercedes explained that Taskmaster will always be steered towards villainy because no matter what she tells him, that "guilt" that he did something wrong is always there, and it always makes him assume he is a bad guy or should be. "Illusion of truth" and all that. In reality the guilt is from taking the serum, wanting to cash in and then leaving his wife. In the mini she tried to steer him down the better path, but it didn't last once he assimilated too much data. Which apparently is always inevitable. It isn't like Red Shirt was the last guy who put a bounty on Taskmaster in recent times. There was a lower bounty placed on Taskmaster's head after he first started working with the Initiative, and Mauler, Firebrand, Mr. Hyde, and I think King Cobra tried to collect on it. He fought them off with aid from War Machine and other Initiative cadets. That was from A:TI #13, circa 2008.

Basically, Taskmaster can't really reform for long unless he deals with that guilt, but he can't because he always forgets the specifics. Mercedes chooses to remain in that role because if "the Org" wasn't pulling his strings, someone else probably would, who might steer him towards worse stuff than bounties and mercenary work. After all, Taskmaster has worked for no end of lunatics who wouldn't mind exploiting him. Norman Osborn sure did. The Red Skull hired him at times, too.

There's Sandi from his first Mini and Agent X run. Last I saw them together, they ended up a couple. Now she must wonder why he disappeared and never calls again.

As well as quite a few women, one would imagine. Taskmaster was a pimp in some of those A:TI flashback panels. I think he was watching one of the B.A.D. girls, either Asp or Black Mamba, on a stripper pole in one of those A:TI issues. Tony Master is a Party Master.

I chalk that up to having no real ambition. He has this amazing talent and could be one of the real big villains, but it's all just too bothersome and requires too much work. He doesn't want to rule a country, swim in a tub of money or whatever. How did that one comic say, he just wants to be able to buy a new car every year and eat steak whenever he wants.

That was also the issue, or close to it, where Taskmaster decided to take the opportunity Osborn offered to move up to the big leagues.

There also was one time when Taskmaster was hooked up to some machine that would expand his power to be able to copy superhuman powers as well, but it didn't last.

I don't think the Van Lente mini eliminates that. I think it adds more options for different types of stories with him besides capers.

What does MCP stand for again? Looks like I'm having some sort of memory condition right now as well.

Marvel Comics Presents.

Dude, I would love that.

Yeah, it would be cool.

There's already been a supervillain Ocean's 11. It was called MODOK's 11 and it was awesome. Coincidentally, it was also written by Fred Van Lente.

I read MODOK'S 11, but that was really for one job, and it was a set up from the start. I meant like a more consistent roster of professional style villains. The type who are really after the cash and avoiding jail and not on conquest or revenge fetishes. Taskmaster, Constrictor, Shocker, types like that. In real life, it is those sort of criminals who get away cleanly the longest; your psychotic spree killers usually end themselves. Of course the risk is one of them betraying the rest, which is often how those sort of cabals go down, but if some of them know each other, like Taskmaster and Constrictor, that lessons some of that risk. I just think it would offer more options for stories than having heroes fight the same flock of HYDRA or the Wrecking Crew.

Last edited:
That would be cool. Stick Brubaker on it and treat it like a villain version of Gotham Central, with the career crooks trying to score some cash while steering clear of the big heroes.

They could always do a series with Foreigner as a Keyser Soze type and he hires Taskmaster , Constrictor , Shocker and a couple of others to do a job for him. Then you know the rest.

That would be cool. Stick Brubaker on it and treat it like a villain version of Gotham Central, with the career crooks trying to score some cash while steering clear of the big heroes.

Eh...give Brubaker a co-writer so things happen an a slightly faster pace and the squad doesn't spend 8 out of 10 issues fighting nameless henchmen.

(That actually annoys me about Brubaker. When he DOES have a story where his heroes fight actual villains, he paces it really well. So why does that happen so infrequently? UGH!)

They could always do a series with Foreigner as a Keyser Soze type and he hires Taskmaster , Constrictor , Shocker and a couple of others to do a job for him. Then you know the rest.

It has been ages since I saw the Foreigner in anything. I guess he still doesn't know what love is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"