Van Lente Is A Stern "Taskmaster"

Taskmaster stole that s*** from Steve in the first place. :)

Borrowed :argh:

One of the creators probably just liked the visual of Taskmaster with a bunch of stuff. The energy device might be more practical, but the big bundle of weapons is more visually indicative of Taskmaster's fighting-style-copying schtick.

Letting your opponent know which weapons you have/are skilled with isn't very smart for a mercenary, I'd imagine.

Last edited:
So, after this Mini, has there actually been any word on what Taskmaster's future is going to be? Has he currently any notable appearances in any comics?

Sadly I have no idea of his future (I imagine due to MvC3 he'll be around a bit more), but he did make a nice appearance in Avenger's Academy this month.

Letting your opponent know which weapons you have/are skilled with isn't very smart for a mercenary, I'd imagine.
Taskmaster is skilled with every weapon that exists so it doesn't really matter in his case. The limited gear he had during the UDON years made sense though. A wrist mounted energy device that can duplicate any weapon he wants , two guns and a katana is enough weapons to do damage for Taskmaster.

I wonder why he actually still uses a bow. I wasn't really missing that during the UDON run. I mean, he's already got a gun, so what's the point?

Ask Hawkeye. He regularly kicks the collective asses of multiple gun-users with his bow.

Yeah, but he doesn't use any guns. You can kick ass with either a gun or a bow. What's the point of carrying both?

Familiarity? Taskmaster steals all his skills, so presumably his marksmanship would be better with a bow since that's what Hawkeye uses, but he might be better able to use the Punisher's tactics with guns or something.

I just read Avengers Academy #9. They are sticking with the memory loss. Fudge...

It adds depth and tragedy, damn it!
So, after this Mini, has there actually been any word on what Taskmaster's future is going to be? Has he currently any notable appearances in any comics?

He has appeared in AVENGERS ACADEMY #9, and it was a pretty cool appearance. As for the future, who knows. Given that Fred Van Lente writes and co-writes stuff, he could pop up in a future project of his.

Y'know what'd almost make sense? He pops up in an issue of HEROES FOR HIRE. What? Misty was willing to hire Elektra to take someone out in the first issue. Wouldn't seem far-fetched, he usually doesn't mind the work so long as the check clears...

I have no problem with the origin Van Lente came up with either. I was feeling pretty bad for the guy at the end of issue #4 after he saved Mercedes from Red Shirt. It also makes Steve look like a d*** because he let Bucky get a chance at redemption after he found out he was Winter Soldier. Why couldn't he let Tony Masters have a shot at redemption ?

I have no problem with the origin Van Lente came up with either. I was feeling pretty bad for the guy at the end of issue #4 after he saved Mercedes from Red Shirt. It also makes Steve look like a d*** because he let Bucky get a chance at redemption after he found out he was Winter Soldier. Why couldn't he let Tony Masters have a shot at redemption ?

It could be because, as Rogers understands it from Fury and Mercedes, Taskmaster's condition is that he genuinely thinks he is a villain and acts like it. Trying to dig into his longer term memories is a difficult task and it rarely sticks for long. "All the times he tried to kill you, he really WAS trying to kill you," and all that. It isn't a matter of offering him a badge and a chance; Taskmaster's condition makes reform almost impossible because eventually he may forget what you show him about his past self, such as if he has to learn a new skill or something (as he had to do with Red Shirt, who had mastered a Shi'ar fighting style - a clever move, actually; you would think with so many aliens, Marvel would make more out of their fighting styles). You also have to add in the fact that Taskmaster often looks out for number one and would mostly exploit such a "chance". Mercedes had to pretend to be a waitress that Taskmaster was meeting for the first time to get that close to him, after all. He's after a paycheck and staying alive and out of jail, not much in the means of emotional stuff.

You would need to some up with some sort of "cure" for Taskmaster's condition, which would be something in Pym or Reed's ball park. Of course, that could come with side effects; would Taskmaster lose his ability to copy skills, or any acquired skills? I suppose if handled well it could be a sort of FLOWERS FOR TASKMASTER sort of story if someone was interested. Say he regained his proper memories and motivations, but lost his reflexes and many of his absorbed skills, would he like it? Or would he want to go back to being a bad-ass with less baggage?

It is also worth a reminder that Rogers needed the Cosmic Cube to break the brainwashing that Winter Soldier has been under; that usually isn't an easy item to come by. Unless you're Kang, of course.

Well couldn't Steve just ask Reed Richards to whip one up ? I figure if AIM could make one then Reed should be able to make one as well. Then let Mercedes use it on Taskmaster since she knew him way before he took that serum. Maybe that could permanently restore his memories , but allow him to keep his abilities.

Well couldn't Steve just ask Reed Richards to whip one up ? I figure if AIM could make one then Reed should be able to make one as well. Then let Mercedes use it on Taskmaster since she knew him way before he took that serum. Maybe that could permanently restore his memories , but allow him to keep his abilities.

It probably is a touchy subject right now. Reed currently is dealing with the loss of Johnny. Rogers himself has watched the spectacle of Barnes' trial and another concern would be the legality of things. Taskmaster committed a lot of crimes; do you simply dismiss all of that because of his "condition"? Should that be cleared up in the courts? Besides, it isn't as if Tony Master was brainwashed against his will...in the end, HE chose to inject himself with that serum.

Plus, it isn't easy finding Taskmaster. One of the things he has mastered is staying out of jail and avoiding capture, even by the Avengers. Heck, Maria Hill once hired him out to test SHIELD's security of her back when Iron Man ran things and he was able to breach their best easily. So it isn't a simple matter of assembling the Secret Avengers and raiding a warehouse.

It probably is a touchy subject right now. Reed currently is dealing with the loss of Johnny. Rogers himself has watched the spectacle of Barnes' trial and another concern would be the legality of things. Taskmaster committed a lot of crimes; do you simply dismiss all of that because of his "condition"? Should that be cleared up in the courts? Besides, it isn't as if Tony Master was brainwashed against his will...in the end, HE chose to inject himself with that serum.

Plus, it isn't easy finding Taskmaster. One of the things he has mastered is staying out of jail and avoiding capture, even by the Avengers. Heck, Maria Hill once hired him out to test SHIELD's security of her back when Iron Man ran things and he was able to breach their best easily. So it isn't a simple matter of assembling the Secret Avengers and raiding a warehouse.
You raised a good point. He would have to be put on trial for the stuff he's done as Taskmaster if they used a Cosmic Cube to restore his memories. Bucky got put on trial for all the crimes he committed as Winter Soldier so it'd only be fair if the same was done in Tony Master's case.

It adds depth and tragedy, damn it!

More like unnecessary baggage. If the memory loss would have been a condition that came naturally, I wouldn't have minded it so much. But I hate, HATE, the angle of him being an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. member and good guy.

Last edited:
You raised a good point. He would have to be put on trial for the stuff he's done as Taskmaster if they used a Cosmic Cube to restore his memories. Bucky got put on trial for all the crimes he committed as Winter Soldier so it'd only be fair if the same was done in Tony Master's case.

Right. To be fair, I don't think Taskmaster has killed as many people as Winter Soldier did. Still, there is a laundry list of crimes to answer for, from assault to some murders to attempted murder to a heap of aiding and abetting felons and racketeering and espionage and all that...

More like unnecessary baggage. If the memory loss would have been a condition that came naturally, I wouldn't have minded it so much. But I hate, HATE, the angle of him being an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. member and good guy.

I don't think it is that big a deal. Given the skills he has, it makes sense that he was ex-SHIELD at some point. That gave him a lot of contacts and data links to begin with. Plus, unlike virtually every other "real" villain, Taskmaster rarely gets caught up in revenge quests or whatnot. He could have killed far more heroes than he had wanted to had he indulged in more emotion, but he hasn't. He and Deathstroke The Terminator are VERY similar characters, co-created by the same guy, who came out months between each other in Marvel and DC (although Taskmaster came out first). Yet Deathstroke broke off and went into deadly, dangerous super-villain territory who can defeat Superman with a pencil (practically), while Taskmaster is still in C-List territory because he cuts and runs. Is it just professionalism, avoiding jail? Or is it the part of him that doesn't want to take things THAT far with certain people sometimes? It cuts either way with the origin now. I thought it perfectly explained and rationalized a lot of Taskmaster's erratic behavior since his creation.

Plus, I think the tragedy helps him. I can't look at him without feeling sympathy for him, even if he just showed up in some issue of ASM because Kingpin hired him to protect some shipment somewhere. I always liked the character, but I thought his mini did a solid job of creating a quirky caper story that not only detailed his skills and whatnot, but embellished him out more. It may not have been perfect, but so little had been done with his origin or his character in so many years that the door was wide open for Fred Van Lente, same as it was when Brubaker and Fraction worked on embellishing the history of Iron Fist.

Different strokes, I guess. The history doesn't change Taskmaster from being a professional, or a bad ass. I just think it adds a layer under, is all. I do think he needs some definite "wins" in his column soon. Killed some Asgardians in SIEGE? Big deal; Mr. X killed one with a knife, and they went down like Foot Soldiers in that story. Fought Barnes, 2/3rds of the Warriors Three, and Iron Man to a draw within the last 8-9 years? Not bad, but losses to Moon Knight and Deadpool sort of clash with that (especially since Deadpool these days is basically 4th Wall Banger Cartoon Man with Guns, not really a serious professional threat). I mean, Wolverine just tore into Ghost Rider and Satan himself in WOLVERINE GOES TO HELL, and the Hulk always piledrives through Thor or Galactus or whoever whenever some writer wants him to seem tough. Taskmaster needs a few wins here and there, too. About the only heroic, non-Skrull he definitely beat within the last few years was Stature in A:TI, and that's not saying much - she's a rookie. A lot of "more popular" characters than Taskmaster could have gotten into MVC3, and didn't. More people play that game than EVER will read ANY comics. So if they ever want to amp him up, now is no better time.

I don't think it is that big a deal. Given the skills he has, it makes sense that he was ex-SHIELD at some point. That gave him a lot of contacts and data links to begin with. Plus, unlike virtually every other "real" villain, Taskmaster rarely gets caught up in revenge quests or whatnot. He could have killed far more heroes than he had wanted to had he indulged in more emotion, but he hasn't. He and Deathstroke The Terminator are VERY similar characters, co-created by the same guy, who came out months between each other in Marvel and DC (although Taskmaster came out first). Yet Deathstroke broke off and went into deadly, dangerous super-villain territory who can defeat Superman with a pencil (practically), while Taskmaster is still in C-List territory because he cuts and runs. Is it just professionalism, avoiding jail? Or is it the part of him that doesn't want to take things THAT far with certain people sometimes? It cuts either way with the origin now. I thought it perfectly explained and rationalized a lot of Taskmaster's erratic behavior since his creation.

I just think things don't need to be so complicated with Taskmaster. That's part of what I like about him. He's rational, he isn't a megalomaniac, he rarely gets on revenge quests, like you said. He simply chose villainy as a profession, because it earns you better money than being a hero. He's about getting a job done and cashing a paycheck. And he doesn't really care for the spotlight. Much.

Plus, I think the tragedy helps him. I can't look at him without feeling sympathy for him, even if he just showed up in some issue of ASM because Kingpin hired him to protect some shipment somewhere.

And that's exactly why I dislike the new Origin, because at the end of an issue, I don't want to think "Aww... poor Tasky."

I always liked the character, but I thought his mini did a solid job of creating a quirky caper story that not only detailed his skills and whatnot, but embellished him out more. It may not have been perfect, but so little had been done with his origin or his character in so many years that the door was wide open for Fred Van Lente, same as it was when Brubaker and Fraction worked on embellishing the history of Iron Fist.

I hate how it contradicts the things established in the UDON mini. That he has a photographic memory, and unlike other people, who have foggy memories of the past, there's no fog for him. How he can remember every year, day, hour and minute with absolute clarity, and can recall them as if he were there. Now every week he picks up a phone only to repeat the same line again and again "I don't know who I am."

Different strokes, I guess. The history doesn't change Taskmaster from being a professional, or a bad ass. I just think it adds a layer under, is all.

I don't mind added layer. But this kind I don't endorse. I hope Fury is screwing with him, trying to give him a fake past so they can manipulate him to do their work.

I do think he needs some definite "wins" in his column soon. Killed some Asgardians in SIEGE? Big deal; Mr. X killed one with a knife, and they went down like Foot Soldiers in that story. Fought Barnes, 2/3rds of the Warriors Three, and Iron Man to a draw within the last 8-9 years? Not bad, but losses to Moon Knight and Deadpool sort of clash with that (especially since Deadpool these days is basically 4th Wall Banger Cartoon Man with Guns, not really a serious professional threat). I mean, Wolverine just tore into Ghost Rider and Satan himself in WOLVERINE GOES TO HELL, and the Hulk always piledrives through Thor or Galactus or whoever whenever some writer wants him to seem tough. Taskmaster needs a few wins here and there, too. About the only heroic, non-Skrull he definitely beat within the last few years was Stature in A:TI, and that's not saying much - she's a rookie. A lot of "more popular" characters than Taskmaster could have gotten into MVC3, and didn't. More people play that game than EVER will read ANY comics. So if they ever want to amp him up, now is no better time.

That I can agree on. He's got the skill, that's for sure, but he seems to be never truly in the fight. Probably because, like mentioned above, he's too rational. There's never really anything big on the line for him, he doesn't turn into a madman and swears bloody revenge like an Osborn, he just lacks that bit of passion to give him the edge in a fight. Unless he's in actual life threatening danger.

I just think things don't need to be so complicated with Taskmaster. That's part of what I like about him. He's rational, he isn't a megalomaniac, he rarely gets on revenge quests, like you said. He simply chose villainy as a profession, because it earns you better money than being a hero. He's about getting a job done and cashing a paycheck. And he doesn't really care for the spotlight. Much.

But that's no reason for his origin to be a mystery. I mean the "I'm just a guy" never did, say, the Shocker any favors. No end of Marvel characters have some stuff from their past to mine, so I didn't mind some extra stuff with Taskmaster.

And that's exactly why I dislike the new Origin, because at the end of an issue, I don't want to think "Aww... poor Tasky."

Well, it isn't an excuse for EVERYTHING he does. I mean, in AVENGERS ACADEMY #9, his "sparring" match with Finesse does verge on going too far - he practically strangles her at one point. I just sort of see it as something in the background. He doesn't HAVE to mention it every time he goes out and I sort of hope he doesn't. No need to beat it into the ground.

I hate how it contradicts the things established in the UDON mini. That he has a photographic memory, and unlike other people, who have foggy memories of the past, there's no fog for him. How he can remember every year, day, hour and minute with absolute clarity, and can recall them as if he were there. Now every week he picks up a phone only to repeat the same line again and again "I don't know who I am."

It doesn't contradict it. The recent mini said that Taskmaster's mind fills in things that he doesn't remember to the point that he isn't usually sure what memory is real and what may be an act that he has down. He's very good at functioning despite his memory issues and barely even thinks about it. It is also possible that it has gotten worse over time; that UDON mini, even in "Marvel time", was maybe 1-2 years ago at least. If he doesn't remember how he got his abilities, it is easy to assume he always had them. Perhaps his lesson that mimicing one part of a skill rather than learning the whole thing happened later in life and he just spliced it together as childhood in his head.

I don't mind added layer. But this kind I don't endorse. I hope Fury is screwing with him, trying to give him a fake past so they can manipulate him to do their work.

Seems a bit far fetched. Taskmaster did remember his wife and all that, he just lost it when he had to assimilate Red Shirt's skill.

That I can agree on. He's got the skill, that's for sure, but he seems to be never truly in the fight. Probably because, like mentioned above, he's too rational. There's never really anything big on the line for him, he doesn't turn into a madman and swears bloody revenge like an Osborn, he just lacks that bit of passion to give him the edge in a fight. Unless he's in actual life threatening danger.

Christos Gage got into that angle a little during his A:TI run with Taskmaster and Constrictor. The angle was that the types like Osborn or Gargan or Bullseye become more recognized and thus successful because they "lay it all out on the field" - that being insane sort of works for them. Madmen tend to draw others in around them and spark attention. In real life, we remember the names of serial killers or spree killers more than, say, modestly successful bank robbers. The general thrust of Taskmaster's arc during DARK REIGN was him seeing his chance to move up the ranks and deciding whether the risk was worth the reward. Naturally, Osborn was manipulating him for labor, figuring Taskmaster would be honored just to get to sit at the big table with him, Hood, Dr. Doom and Loki.

That was the other reason why I liked the recent mini. In a way, both the UDON one and Van Lente one involved Taskmaster having a hit put out on him and defending a woman he was romantically involved with; I just think the newer mini raised the stakes and had him fight more recognizable villains (although the UDON mini's trick of having him be able to attain "fast forward" speed for a few seconds now and then was neat and I wouldn't mind seeing that again - it is a useful way to explain him being able to hit, say, Spider-Man some time). Taskmaster knew he would probably lose all his memories again copying Red Shirt's Shi'ar moves; he just decided it was worth it to save his wife.

Taskmaster to me has usually been that villain who has straddled the gray area. He isn't a maniac who carries grudges or kidnaps people's girlfriends, but he is efficient at what he does. One day he can be working for villains or mobsters, the next for the fed. I understand the allure of keeping his past "simple", but the thing is, I don't think it was very memorable as a blank slate, and being memorable is key for many characters.

I mean, Deadpool has a past that is complicated up the wazoo and practically multiple choice, and he had 5 titles at one point. Same with Wolverine. In comparison to both of them, Taskmaster's is fairly simple.

I don't want every Taskmaster story to become a sympathy card; that doesn't mean I don't mind some tragic later underneath the cape and swordplay. In order to keep up the efficiency rating, though, he really does need some wins in his corner. It makes comic seem like wrestling, but the irony is the two sometimes have parallels - like in wrestling, popularity is everything in comics. Wolverine couldn't do half the **** he has if he wasn't popular. I still think it was a tragedy that Sabretooth was killed off before he could have had a real, slam bang rematch with Iron Fist, whose title he debuted in back in the 1970's. If Taskmaster doesn't have wins in a long time, it almost makes him seem like a paper tiger when the Avengers gasp about what a challenge he is, and he hasn't beaten a named superhero since the 90's or something. That doesn't mean he has to kill anyone - just, y'know, beat someone while escaping or something. Draws are nice, but it isn't like if he clobbered, say, Spider-Man or Wolverine or even Hawkeye, it would vastly effect their publicity. The last non-rookie fighter I vaguely recall him beating was the Cat, who was a Shang Chi knock off. Yes, the knock-off of a C-Lister. And that was ages ago.

I love Taskmaster, but Van Lente writes him horribly. I read the first issue of his new mini and couldn't be bothered to pick up the rest. Having him speak like he's on an internet message board was an awful idea and very out of character.

I really wish they'd give him back his Udon costume.

You and me both, buddy.

But that's no reason for his origin to be a mystery. I mean the "I'm just a guy" never did, say, the Shocker any favors. No end of Marvel characters have some stuff from their past to mine, so I didn't mind some extra stuff with Taskmaster.

I also don't mind extra stuff. But as I mentioned, this kind I don't like. Sure, it doesn't change that he's a professional and a badass, but the only reason he is Taskmaster now, is because of his wife. He's now a guy that picks up a phone, with no memory, being used to gather intel on criminal organisations. Every time he forgets who he is, he could be turned into whoever his wife wants or needs him to be.

He isn't even the real bad guy anymore. The only reason he thinks he's a bad guy, is because he's told he is one. If he gets jobs that only involve the criminal element, no wonder he assumes he's a bad guy himself.

The angle that he might have a daughter, that is something I don't mind at all. It could give him the certain push he needs in a battle, when she is involved, and show some of his better sides. He might be a killer, but he's not completely without conscience. We know that there have been people he cared for.

I love Taskmaster, but Van Lente writes him horribly. I read the first issue of his new mini and couldn't be bothered to pick up the rest. Having him speak like he's on an internet message board was an awful idea and very out of character.

To each their own. Welcome to SUPER HERO HYPE, dude. :up:

I also don't mind extra stuff. But as I mentioned, this kind I don't like. Sure, it doesn't change that he's a professional and a badass, but the only reason he is Taskmaster now, is because of his wife. He's now a guy that picks up a phone, with no memory, being used to gather intel on criminal organisations. Every time he forgets who he is, he could be turned into whoever his wife wants or needs him to be.

He isn't even the real bad guy anymore. The only reason he thinks he's a bad guy, is because he's told he is one. If he gets jobs that only involve the criminal element, no wonder he assumes he's a bad guy himself.

The angle that he might have a daughter, that is something I don't mind at all. It could give him the certain push he needs in a battle, when she is involved, and show some of his better sides. He might be a killer, but he's not completely without conscience. We know that there have been people he cared for.

Mercedes USED to steer Taskmaster to whatever evil organization or group that Nick Fury wanted her to look into, but she has since gone rogue after Fury basically dropped off the map after SECRET WAR. I suppose I don't mind Taskmaster not being "a real bad guy" in that classical sense. But it depends on how you define it. He thinks he is a bad guy so he acts like one. He does bad things and often fights heroes, or trains villains. He's always been a guy who straddled the edge between villain and anti-hero in the past, depending on who he was protecting and who was cutting the check, so I see this as extending off that.

I would imagine the time that Taskmaster remembers stuff may vary. "The Org" is the fail safe for when his memory is totally blank. It may take weeks or days each time. It was implied that it was something that got worse over time. Taskmaster was STILL the one who decided it was more profitable using his powers to get ahead, anyway. He may have taken the serum for Mercedes, but he rarely remembers her for long, anyway. He was interested in some random women in AGENT X a while ago, right?

I see the origin as explaining why Taskmaster hasn't shifted into full on psycho mode or why he hasn't attained a certain level of status, besides the real world reason of "writers barely used him for years at a time". I mean he easily could have become the head of a major organization and a grand super villain in the 80's or 90's if anyone bothered to. He could have slain a slew of heroes by now if he wanted to. I mean, he never once tried to bring in Spider-Man whenever he had a bounty on him. Van Lente at least set up an in story reason why Taskmaster has had that "invisible wall" in his career, beyond him just playing too safe forever.

Having family members motivate change isn't a bad thing, and it actually further connects him to his buddy Constrictor. He has a daughter and once stuck up for an abused kid in some MCP story.

This is brainstorming, but I think Marvel could use a team of villains who are "professionals" in the sense that, to a degree, Flash's Rogues are. Like a team of villains who don't bring in psychosis or revenge fetishes, but are just out to do a job, get a score and escape clean. The sort of team you might imagine Taskmaster, Shocker, and Constrictor being good on. Sort of like a supervillain's OCEAN'S 11 that operates around Marvel.

The Van Lente origin will only become limiting if every writer wants to have Taskmaster depicted in some sort of sob scene. I didn't mind how Gage worked with it, but it shouldn't stop Taskmaster from appearing, say, in a story where Sin hires him to smack Steve Rogers around for a while, or Kingpin hires him to train Montana's replacement in the Enforcers, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"