What creative talent should Gunn and Safran go after?

TheScarecrow

Sidekick
Reaction score
Luckily, DC already has a deep bench of talent with James Wan, Patty Jenkins (I don't love it, but I get what she was trying to do with WW84), David F Sandberg, James Gunn, Andy Muschetti, Angel Manuel Soto, etc. Not to mention Todd Phillips and Matt Reeves (who may or may not fall under the umbrella of Safran and Gunn).

But I think the last thing that DC needs is more Jaume Collet-Serra's as directors. We need strong creatives with distinctive styles and visions. So my question is, what creatives would you want to see involved in DC and on what projects?

Here is a wish list for me:
  • Ditch JJ Abrams from the "Justice League Dark" side of DC. He's not suited for it. I'd prefer they bring in someone like Leigh Whannel, Mike Flannagan or Ari Aster to give this side of the DC Universe a real tonal distinction from Marvel, and to essentially allow DC to covertly operate in the horror space.

• I'd get Greta Gerwig for a Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy film (or even Gotham City Sirens). She's also working with WB and Margot Robbie on Barbie atm.
  • Alfonso Cuaron would, IMO, be ideal for a Justice Society movie that spins off those characters from Black Adam and adds a few new ones.

• I'd like to see Chad Stahelski to a Green Arrow/Black Canary film.

• Naturally, I'd love to see Christopher McQuarrie's Superman. George Miller would be another very good choice. Matthew Vaughn would also work.

Last edited:
Daniels (Swiss Army Man, Everything Everywhere All at Once) for Superman or Flash. Make it zany, fresh, and full of life.

Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy, Top Gun Maverick) for Green Lantern Corps. Maybe Chad Stahelski (John Wick) as stunt coordinator. I wanna see Sinestro in a space club poppin headshots left right and center.

David Lowery (The Green Knight) or Robert Eggars (The Northman) for Hellblazer

Maybe not DCEU, but someone like Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone) or Darius Marder (Sound of Metal) for Green Arrow. A raw, unflashy take about the drug epidemic in Seattle.

JJ Abrams for Justice League. Just you know, with a good script.

I'd like Duncan Jones to make a comeback. He had such strong outings with Moon and Source Code, only to whiff big time on Warcraft and Mute.

Oh, and get GDT back for Justice League Dark. If not that, give him Etrigan or Swamp Thing.

Just get a compelling director and actor combo to make a Lex Luthor movie. That's my dream DC project at the moment.

Maybe one or two of these will happen.

Brad bird, Superman

David Fincher Spectre.

Guillermo del Toro Batman ( Affleck)

Christopher McQuarrie, Green Latern.

Alfonso Cuaron, Martian Manhunter.

Greta Gerwig, hawkgirl.

Darren Aronofsky, Etrigan.

Ron Howard, booster gold

Kathryn Bigelow a Wonder Woman film.

Robert Zemeckis DR Fate

Peter jackson, JL crisis on infinite Earth's part 1

Steven Spielberg JL COIEs part 2

Last edited:
Crisis on Infinite Earths really makes no sense as a cinematic project. It exists in order to fix continuity. There really isn’t a need for the fixing of continuity at this point in the films. From a film standpoint, Anti-Monitor is a convoluted character and the whole thing would just be a mess. The comic is a fun story just because it explains away 50 years of disjointed continuity while providing storytelling on a scale that hadn’t really been seen before. But as a movie, it would just be a gimmick. There’s a lot of JL stories that would serve to be better inspiration for a film. Personally, I’d want a JL that takes some cues from Tower of Babel, but doesn’t leave the team disjointed at the end. I’d actually love to see that followed by a Batman centric film that is inspired by Zdarsky’s current Failsafe storyline that is ongoing. (Oh, and a big NO to Affleck as Batman. I like him personally as the character, but that iteration is forever tainted by BvS)

I’m sure there’s a lot of creative talent we’ve never heard of before. I would like to see some unknown do something with DC

Give Ryan Coogler his pick of characters to do a film about.

I’d also love to see Antoine Fuqua heading up Icon and Rocket.

They’ll hire tv and documentary directors like Marvel does. Gunn will be the creative and the directors will be hired guns who are just there to execute his vision, similar to the setup with Feige at Marvel.

Finally greenlight that Blackhawks movie Spielberg has wanted to make for decades.
Oh, and get GDT back for Justice League Dark. If not that, give him Etrigan or Swamp Thing.
Yep. Give the who Justice League Dark side back to Del Toro and let him direct/produce a series of movies using the DC supernatural characters.

Scott Derrickson for Justice League Dark.
Rick Famuyima for Static Shock
Adam McKay for Luthor
Denis Villeneuve for Martian Manhunter
Guillermo del Toro for Etrigan the Demon
Brad Bird for Legion of Superheroes

I want my Chris McKay Nightwing movie and I want it yesterday.

I want my Chris McKay Nightwing movie and I want it yesterday.

Forgot about that one.

Gotham Knights-focused spin-offs are the way to go for the main continuity if you ask me.

I don’t think Affleck wants to be Batman anymore (unless that’s changed?) but maybe he can be convinced to appear in extended cameos—essentially the reported size of Keaton’s role in the now-cancelled Batgirl.

Let Pattinson tell solo stories with Reeves; Affleck can feature prominently in this movies if he’s interested. I liked him well enough as the character in bad movies so I think he’d shine with a better script. But couch the character in ensemble features; heck, let him direct one (maybe Son of Batman).

Gotham City Sirens
I’d prefer we focus on Kravitz’s Catwoman in the Reeves universe so maybe drop her from the mix and feature Margot’s Quinn and Ivy. Maybe characters from BoP too?

Nightwing
Dick Grayson’s adventures in Bludhaven!

Batgirl
Bring Leslie Grace into the main DC continuity with a closer adaptation of Batgirl: Year One, with Nightwing, Black Canary, and Batman. Think you could have just reshot Keaton’s bits in the original with Affleck like Aquaman II but whatever…

Son of Batman
Damian, Deathstroke, and The League of Assassins!

Arkham Knight
Jason Todd takes on the Gotham City underworld, and maybe a reinvention of Leto as Joker. “Arkham Knight” makes more sense to me than the name Red Hood.

Gotham City Sirens
I’d prefer we focus on Kravitz’s Catwoman in the Reeves universe so maybe drop her from the mix and feature Margot’s Quinn and Ivy. Maybe characters from BoP too?

Noooooo. No more comics innaccurate teams. If Keaton's Batman is sticking around, bring in Pfieffer as Catwoman. If he's not, either cast a Catwoman or just do a Harley and Ivy movie.

Arkham Knight
Jason Todd takes on the Gotham City underworld, and maybe a reinvention of Leto as Joker. “Arkham Knight” makes more sense to me than the name Red Hood.
I don’t know. Red Hood is iconic and is a direct reference to the Joker. In a sense it is Jason’s way of thumbing his nose at the one who killed him. It’s his way of mocking his own murderer.
That’s awesome.

Noooooo. No more comics innaccurate teams. If Keaton's Batman is sticking around, bring in Pfieffer as Catwoman. If he's not, either cast a Catwoman or just do a Harley and Ivy movie.

Keaton's Batman may not be sticking around anymore though...

Batgirl was cancelled. And Flash visits Keaton in another universe. It could be a one-and-done.

I don’t know. Red Hood is iconic and is a direct reference to the Joker. In a sense it is Jason’s way of thumbing his nose at the one who killed him. It’s his way of mocking his own murderer.
That’s awesome.

That seems like a stretch.

Arkham is an iconic location that houses all of Batman's rogues that he refuses to kill.
Knight is a part of Batman's iconic moniker, The Dark Knight. Todd is "mocking" his father-figure for failing to save him & properly deal with Gotham's criminal element.

Plus, Batman: Arkham Knight was the highest-selling game for June 2015 and became the fastest-selling game of 2015. Those games continue to make money & reach more homes than the comics & Direct-to-Video adaptations ever have.

That seems like a stretch.

Arkham is an iconic location that houses all of Batman's rogues that he refuses to kill.
Knight is a part of Batman's iconic moniker, The Dark Knight. Todd is "mocking" his father-figure for failing to save him & properly deal with Gotham's criminal element.

Plus, Batman: Arkham Knight was the highest-selling game for June 2015 and became the fastest-selling game of 2015. Those games continue to make money & reach more homes than the comics & Direct-to-Video adaptations ever have.
But I feel like the Red Hood moniker accomplishes all of that while directly referencing the Joker and his original alter-ego, Red Hood.

I’m a proponent of Todd being Red Hood probably because I’ve never played the video games. On the other hand, Red Hood has a history in the comics, both as it relates to the Joker and his murky origins and to Jason. Under the Red Hood is a classic story and Red Hood and the Outlaws is my personal favorite title of the Rebirth era. So, I’m probably not unbiased.

I want a Lex Luther origin film.
From childhood to billionaire adulthood.
Show why Lex is the way he is and how he became a multi billionaire.
And show all the dead bodies along the way he caused on his way to the top.

As smart as Einstein, richer than Elon musk, and as ruthless as Stalin.

I'd like Duncan Jones to make a comeback. He had such strong outings with Moon and Source Code, only to whiff big time on Warcraft and Mute.

I’m pretty sure he could do good work on one of those or an alternative small DC project to prove himself again. Deserves another shot IMO.

I forgot that GDT is currently in a deal with Netflix. Not sure if he's exclusive to them or not, but that could throw a wrench in things as far as potentially getting him back for JLD.

I just assumed, as I thought many had, that Lawrence would include elements of JL: Dark in his announced Constantine sequel.

Last edited:
Keaton's Batman may not be sticking around anymore though...

Batgirl was cancelled. And Flash visits Keaton in another universe. It could be a one-and-done.

I hope so. Sorry to those who love them but I was never a fan of the 1989 Batman series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"