What Green Lantern Got Wrong

Reynolds is a bigger draw than Jon Hamm. But that's not really saying much. Neither are anywhere near A-Listers. If GL was a massive success Reynolds would be there. But as it is, he's the face of a bonafide disaster.

Jon Hamm is more a TV actor and he's damn good. But given the chance, sure, I can see him as the leading man in a film one day.

Just rewatched the movie and its clear that the problem with the movie is with the writing.

The whole romantic subplot to attract the female demographic was just out of place and it ate a lot of screen time making the movie a bit dull at parts.

The movie should have been done in a serious manner throughout. There really was no need to base so much of the movie on earth. The beginning with Paralax and abi sur was a great tone for the movie to follow but it did not go there that much beyond that.

Please please please, if Im paying to watch a movie about superheroes ive suspended my disbelief already. No need to make the awkward well im wearing a mask so thats kind of silly/funny type of comment (xmen first class explaining codenames as a drunken teenager silly joke is another example)

Hammond was done poorly. Kind of a funny looking loser and he was pointless. Parallax could have been done better but ill take it.

If you watch the movie and skip most of the flashback, carol ferris + nerd with glasses scenes, and a good chunk of pointless earth stuff the movie is decent.

I agree with the script thing...it felt very much like a first draft and needed someone to polish it

It was the problem of too many cooks in the kitchen. One scene would have totally contradicting tone then the other. It didn't have an unified voice.

That includes the casting, where we are suppose to believe that Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively and Peter Skargard are in the same..age range? Really?

It was the problem of too many cooks in the kitchen. One scene would have totally contradicting tone then the other. It didn't have an unified voice.

That is not surprising, as the first draft by Greg Berlanti & Michael Green & Marc Guggenheim was based on "Emerald Dawn", but after Geoff Johns was involved they had rewrites and story was based from "Secret Origins", then Michael Goldenberg was called in by the Studio to polish the script.

IMO, The whole script needed further rewrites and fine tuning. :dry:

I finally broke down and bought the GL blu-ray and rewatched it last night. (The Avengers craze is ramping up my CBM fetish all over again.) And since I have no friends anywhere near as nerdy as I am, this is my only place to discuss my thoughts.

The idea to do his costume as full-CGI is brilliant... on paper. With it being constructed from the power of his ring, this approach makes perfect sense. And the idea to give it an organic/alien appearance is fantastic (to me, the only-in-passing GL fan). With a glut of CBMs out there, you definitely want something to set it apart from the others in a creative point of view. But the costume should have been given more physical substance. During several scenes (especially when viewing Hal's neck from behind), it looks like Reynolds is wearing body paint. And it's even worse with the mask. They should have given a more contoured edge to his costume... all the way around.

Also, Hector Hammond is such a disturbing visual that I think he puts audiences off. I've read issues with HH as the villain, and I know that's what he looks like... but still. Conventional audiences are not going to be receptive to what (when boiled down to the utmost simplistic level) looks like a mentally ******ed supervillain. And before I'm crucified for saying that, hear me out!!!! There is a deep-seeded aversion in people when we see a grossly asymmetrical human form. It's just inherently off-putting. It just immediately triggers something deep inside us that gets us off kilter. It's the reason why you don't see amputees as supermodels.

And I'm not defending that reaction.. just saying it's there.

And plus they put him in a wheelchair at one point... that just seems to drive that imagery home even more. It's just disturbing on an uncomfortable level. And I can see where that would be appealing on a creative standpoint. Like, we want to make this villain appalling on every level so why not make him visually disturbing. But it's kinda like seeing a movie where the main villain is a Down's Syndrome adult. It's just... I don't like the feeling it gives me.

And like I said, I'm not an avid GL follower, so for all I know this subject is a major controversy somewhere. So please educate me. I'm just giving you the reaction this film engendered within me... and I didn't like it.

I appreciate that this film had the testicular fortitude to not shy away from the intergalactic elements of GL, but I think that was something that we could have been eased into later. Like (and I hate to say it) maybe the first film should have been an Earth-bound adventure with the revelation at the end that he was part of a Universal Police Corp... leaving that to be explored in the sequel. I know that seems contradictory to what I first said about them having the balls to do it in space... but maybe audiences were overloaded with too much, too soon.

I mean, Iron Man fought aliens... but it wasn't until his 3rd theatrical outing. I know that idea is going to tick off GL fans...and I don't blame you. You want what you know, and you deserve it if they're going to make a GL movie. But I think it would have been more easy for John Q. Public to accept it if Hal simply finds a crashed alien with a power ring and then uses it to right wrongs in his immediate surroundings... and THEN, as a wrap-up, have the Corps members showing up and being all "what the hell you think you doin' with that ring?!? Son, you better come with us."

-The look and feel of Coast City. This is just a fanboy complaint, I know they filmed in New Orleans for tax breaks or something, but Coast City should feel like...a coast city. Like San Diego

I honestly think the only reason GL's suit didn't look right was because of Sony. They're not a good VFX studio. All their work looks "artistic" or cartoony.

If WB hired ILM or even WETA, there'd be no complaints about the suit. And it's not like they're more expensive. What Sony did with $200 million, ILM could have done for half.

Bad writing -- the plot was poor, underdeveloped and didn't make anyone really care about the people on screen.

Bad directing -- the cinematography was weak and the performances weren't good.

People don't give examples because they think it's self-evident. Apparently not to you.

I disagree. I thought the movie looked beautiful visually (excluding Oa).

Last edited:
It's kind of interesting how the person not familiar with GL thinks the spacefaring was too much in the first film. Kind of gives you a new point of view on the whole thing. I'll never get the "There was too much Earth" complaint. Ever. It's a GREEN LANTERN origin movie. It should have taken place largely on Earth. The sequel should have been the spacetrotting.

I don't get the complaints about Coast City, either. It was a big city...Ferris Air looked pretty good...there was a coast. What do you mean you want it to look more like San Diego?

And I've never really gotten the complaints about the effects. It's pretty clear that the Green Lantern's alien/power ring/light effects were INTENDED to be a bit over the top and a little cartoony. Partially, I think, because in the comics, they kind of always have been. I don't think that's an issue with the quality of the effects. I think that's an issue people have with the basic concept/approach by the filmmakers. We're talking about a ring that creates images out of green light. We're talking about a suit that is composed of light, and is meant to be skintight, or more to the point, actually part of its wearer. I didn't have any issues with the CGI in GREEN LANTERN. I would probably have preferred Green Lantern to have more of an aura than he did, but I loved the suit. I would have chosen more "light" then "electricity". I would have saved the "electricity" for when he's really powered up.

It's kind of interesting how the person not familiar with GL thinks the spacefaring was too much in the first film. Kind of gives you a new point of view on the whole thing. I'll never get the "There was too much Earth" complaint. Ever. It's a GREEN LANTERN origin movie. It should have taken place largely on Earth. The sequel should have been the spacetrotting.
You seem to be one of the few people who get that.

I don't get the complaints about Coast City, either. It was a big city...Ferris Air looked pretty good...there was a coast. What do you mean you want it to look more like San Diego?
It's hard to explain. It just didnt feel like a pacific/west coast city. IT wasnt shot that way, sure there was a coast but I think it's all in the cinemotogrpahy. Cities have different feels and looks. To me at least. It's hard to describe.

You mean, like, we never get the shot that plans over the city and shows the outer limits of the city and the coast beyond?

No not exactly. As I said it's hard to describe. And as I also said, it's just a fanboy complaint I dont think it made the movie worse it's just something I wouldve preferred them to do differently

Green Lantern should have been Training Day, in space. Like First Flight. Who gives a **** about Earth?

And i think that was a big reason for the backlash. The marketing made it out to be this epic sci-fi adventure akin to Star Wars. And in reality, about 15-20 minutes was spent in space.

That's exactly what it was. As a Green Lantern fan I got crazy excited for the possibilities after watching the recent Star Trek film. That film got it, the new animated series got it, the animated film got it, it's just the actual Green Lantern movie that didn't get it. With these movies you have to use what makes a character unique. Setting it on earth just made Green Lantern another generic superhero. It's the space cop stuff that's interesting about him. That's what I read the books for. He didn't even patrol on earth. He didn't go around saving people in danger. He helped the people at a party he happened to be attending and did the usual "City's in danger. I better help them." deal.

The problem with this movie is they got overconfident and figured they had a franchise on their hands so they could save all the good stuff for a sequel. Bad way of doing things. Focus on your one movie and if it does well then focus on a sequel. I shouldn't have to wait for a sequel to see Sinestro patroling the galaxy with Hal Jordan. Might as well set the entirety of Star Trek on earth and at Starfleet Academy.

The good news is if you're a Marvel fan it's a good opportunity for a Nova or Guardians of The Galaxy movie to be made and do exactly what Green Lantern should have done.

Green Lantern should have been Training Day, in space. Like First Flight. Who gives a **** about Earth?

And i think that was a big reason for the backlash. The marketing made it out to be this epic sci-fi adventure akin to Star Wars. And in reality, about 15-20 minutes was spent in space.

Everyone keeps saying that, but this was an origin story:
-Hal's origin revolves around him being on Earth.
-Most of his initial supporting cast: his family, his love interest Carol (which like it or not are going to be in most superhero movies), Tom, etc. are all earth bound. Setting it in space wouldve lost a lot of that
-I know someone will say something along the lines of "GL: First Flight did his origin and largely set it in space" but that more was a glimpse of Hal's true origin. The point of that film wasn't to show Hal's origin like this one did. And if someone wanted to know what Hal's origin is all about I would not point them towards First Flight.
But I would have wanted more time in space (the original script had a final battle on Earth AND Oa), I see why it wasnt set completely in space

ANd I dont think that was a large reason for the backlash. The people I hear who complain about the time spent on Earth vs Oa are geeks, who don't make up the majority of the GA. People didnt like the CG, people criticized the character Hal, people didnt find it funny, and the villains werent good. The whole spending more time on Earth thing was no where near this film's major problem there was the tone, the acting, the CG, etc. I mean when you look at it: Thor probably spent most of his 2nd act on Earth and while, no it wasnt as interesting as Asgard, it was still a critical and successful movie

Last edited:
While this is true, I can only speak for me and what I was personally disappointed by. I'm not sure about what would have made it a better movie short of a totally different crew but I do feel that when it comes to Hal's origin it's Hal gets ring from dying alien, Hal goes into space to become space cop. None of the stuff on earth has any real significance to his origin. We didn't see all of Iron Man set in a cave and we didn't see Tony Stark stay with his Mark I armor. There's an origin and then there's what I came to see. After Hal's actual origin occurred he just kind of lingered around on earth figuring out what to do with himself. Boring stuff. Thor was on a journey to regain his powers and learn humility. Hal Jordan just wussed out while I impatiently waited on him to not be such a wuss and show me what I paid my $16 for (yes, I saw it in 3D).

Green Lantern is a prime example of why superhero sequels are usually guaranteed to be better. So much time is wasted on the origin that, even in the comics, are maybe all of 2 pages or one whole issue at most. 32 pages with commercials should not take 90 minutes.

While this is true, I can only speak for me and what I was personally disappointed by. I'm not sure about what would have made it a better movie short of a totally different crew but I do feel that when it comes to Hal's origin it's Hal gets ring from dying alien, Hal goes into space to become space cop. None of the stuff on earth has any real significance to his origin. We didn't see all of Iron Man set in a cave and we didn't see Tony Stark stay with his Mark I armor. There's an origin and then there's what I came to see.
I mean I get what youre saying. I recently started watching GL: TAS and I really like the idea of a Hal Jordan manned spaceship. I'd put Guy, John, and Kilowag (hell maybe even Aya) on it for a sequel.

However, you say none of the Earth stuff has no significance to his origin and I'd have to disagree entirely. There's a reason that Carol and Carl Ferris and Jordan's family show up in both Emerald Dawn and Secret Origin. They are important to his character, they help shape who he is and are what he cares about. And I dont think the Iron man comparison works. 1) Iron man didnt have any of his supporting cast who help shape him in the cave like Hal does on Earth. 2) He doesnt become "Iron Man" until the end of his time in the cave so that wouldnt work

After Hal's actual origin occurred he just kind of lingered around on earth figuring out what to do with himself. Boring stuff. Thor was on a journey to regain his powers and learn humility. Hal Jordan just wussed out while I impatiently waited on him to not be such a wuss and show me what I paid my $16 for (yes, I saw it in 3D).
But now I think I see your problem with the Earth stuff. If Im guessing right, it wasn't so much that it was on Earth it was that his arc on Earth wasn't well thought out. That whole thing of him learning to be responsible and admitting fear wasn't good/handled well to you, which I agree. Hal's arc on Earth shouldve been different

That's exactly what it was. As a Green Lantern fan I got crazy excited for the possibilities after watching the recent Star Trek film. That film got it, the new animated series got it, the animated film got it, it's just the actual Green Lantern movie that didn't get it.

The animated movie and the animated series are just that...animated. The amount of money it takes to do big space battles in a live action film is light years away from animating it.

With these movies you have to use what makes a character unique.

The fact that he's a hero who has a magic power ring? An earthman who joins an alien Corps?

There are plenty of superheroes who have had space adventures over the years.

Space alone does not neccessarily set Green Lantern apart.

Setting it on earth just made Green Lantern another generic superhero.

Another generic superhero with a magic ring. Who also went to an alien planet. You know, like all those other superhero movies that did that.

It's the space cop stuff that's interesting about him.

That's ONE of the things that makes Green Lantern interesting. There are a whole lot of elements that are unique and interesting about the character and his mythology.

That's what I read the books for. He didn't even patrol on earth. He didn't go around saving people in danger. He helped the people at a party he happened to be attending and did the usual "City's in danger. I better help them." deal.

Sort of like Batman, in two straight films. Three based on what we know about THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

The problem with this movie is they got overconfident and figured they had a franchise on their hands so they could save all the good stuff for a sequel.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the script for GREEN LANTERN, as is, required a massive budget for an unproven character. It had never been conceived as a pure space adventure, likely for budget reasons.

Bad way of doing things. Focus on your one movie and if it does well then focus on a sequel.

They did. They focused on Hal's origin story, largely set on Earth.

I shouldn't have to wait for a sequel to see Sinestro patroling the galaxy with Hal Jordan. Might as well set the entirety of Star Trek on earth and at Starfleet Academy.

It's a shame that WB made you wait. Funny you should mention STAR TREK. Much of STAR TREK was Kirk and Spock and all the rest of the crew's origin story.

Everyone keeps saying that, but this was an origin story:
-Hal's origin revolves around him being on Earth.
-Most of his initial supporting cast: his family, his love interest Carol (which like it or not are going to be in most superhero movies), Tom, etc. are all earth bound. Setting it in space wouldve lost a lot of that

Exactly.

-I know someone will say something along the lines of "GL: First Flight did his origin and largely set it in space" but that more was a glimpse of Hal's true origin.

I was never a huge fan of FIRST FLIGHT. Thought it was pretty thinly written, actually.

The point of that film wasn't to show Hal's origin like this one did. And if someone wanted to know what Hal's origin is all about I would not point them towards First Flight.

Ditto.

While this is true, I can only speak for me and what I was personally disappointed by. I'm not sure about what would have made it a better movie short of a totally different crew but I do feel that when it comes to Hal's origin it's Hal gets ring from dying alien, Hal goes into space to become space cop. None of the stuff on earth has any real significance to his origin.

He's an Earthman making contact with aliens.

Of COURSE Earth has significance to his origin. Its his home.

We didn't see all of Iron Man set in a cave and we didn't see Tony Stark stay with his Mark I armor. There's an origin and then there's what I came to see.

But we did see an entire IRON MAN film surrounding the basic concept that the beginning of the film and Tony's origin revolves around. We didn't exactly see Tony Stark's later adventures in IRON MAN.

After Hal's actual origin occurred he just kind of lingered around on earth figuring out what to do with himself.

No he didn't.

There were what, two or three "finding himself" scenes as I recall, and then he more or less immediately leapt into action as Green Lantern at Ferris Air, fought Hector Hammond, confronted The Guardians, and defended Earth from Parallax.

Green Lantern is a prime example of why superhero sequels are usually guaranteed to be better. So much time is wasted on the origin that, even in the comics, are maybe all of 2 pages or one whole issue at most. 32 pages with commercials should not take 90 minutes.

Two pages? One whole issue? Maybe in the 40's. Any modern origin story runs several issues at least, or 90-120 pages. BATMAN: YEAR ONE ran several issues. MAN OF STEEL ran several issues. EMERALD DAWN, the first major modern retelling of Hal's origin, ran for several issues, and there was a second series, EMERALD DAWN II to continue it.

Last edited:
I mean I get what youre saying. I recently started watching GL: TAS and I really like the idea of a Hal Jordan manned spaceship. I'd put Guy, John, and Kilowag (hell maybe even Aya) on it for a sequel.

However, you say none of the Earth stuff has no significance to his origin and I'd have to disagree entirely. There's a reason that Carol and Carl Ferris and Jordan's family show up in both Emerald Dawn and Secret Origin. They are important to his character, they help shape who he is and are what he cares about. And I dont think the Iron man comparison works. 1) Iron man didnt have any of his supporting cast who help shape him in the cave like Hal does on Earth. 2) He doesnt become "Iron Man" until the end of his time in the cave so that wouldnt work

But now I think I see your problem with the Earth stuff. If Im guessing right, it wasn't so much that it was on Earth it was that his arc on Earth wasn't well thought out. That whole thing of him learning to be responsible and admitting fear wasn't good/handled well to you, which I agree. Hal's arc on Earth shouldve been different

I think that's what bothered me about it. Hal received the ring BECAUSE he's virtually fearless. Irresponsible? Yes. That could have been an arc on it's own. I just hated that he was such a coward since Hal in the comics was very gung ho about being a Green Lantern. There were glimpses of that like him showing off his costume and powers and all but the guy couldn't even get through training.

I think that's the problem. I hated movie Hal on a fundamental level. I'm used to him being a guy who's so macho that he hides his fears and insecurities very well but in the movie he might as well be Peter Parker with a different power set. All of that lingering on earth just waiting for him to BE Green Lantern killed me. He clearly had no problem using the ring (why was he allowed to keep it, anyway?) so why all this fake crap about "This is just not for me."? It's like the guy who complains about a present but then says "I didn't say I wasn't going to use it."

I think you're right in that I was just disappointed in how the earth stuff was handled. After all the main Green Lantern book itself is set on earth half of the time. I would have prefered to see Hal Jordan as a superhero and less of his journey to becoming a superhero. Or at least give the other GLs something to do to give us some action while we wait for Hal to make up his mind...Which, once again, took all of one issue. "I have powers? Yaaay!" The End. It's not exactly Spider-man with the wrestler phase and Uncle Ben or Green Arrow with his time spent on the island. It's quite possibly the shortest origin ever in which the hero is literally handed his powers and practically told "knock yourself out".

Wow, this movie never fails to get me ranting. I'm still in shock at how hyped I was for this movie and how let down I was. Had the exact opposite experience with X-men: First Class. It was a strange summer.

Last edited:
I think that's what bothered me about it. Hal received the ring BECAUSE he's virtually fearless. Irresponsible? Yes. That could have been an arc on it's own. I just hated that he was such a coward since Hal in the comics was very gung ho about being a Green Lantern. There were glimpses of that like him showing off his costume and powers and all but the guy couldn't even get through training.

I think that's the problem. I hated movie Hal on a fundamental level. I'm used to him being a guy who's so macho that he hides his fears and insecurities very well but in the movie he might as well be Peter Parker with a different power set. All of that lingering on earth just waiting for him to BE Green Lantern killed me. He clearly had no problem using the ring (why was he allowed to keep it, anyway?) so why all this fake crap about "This is just not for me."? It's like the guy who complains about a present but then says "I didn't say I wasn't going to use it."
I agree with your opinions on movie Hal.
Let me ask you a question because you seem to be a big GL fan. I dont know everything about GL. I've read Secret Origin, Emerald Dawn a bit ago and then Ive read Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War and Rebirth. Basically a lot of John's events and a few other things.
BUt why do they keep saying "You have the power to overcome great fear" willpower doesnt necessarily equal "overcoming fear"

Wow, this movie never fails to get me ranting. I'm still in shock at how hyped I was for this movie and how let down I was. Had the exact opposite experience with X-men: First Class. It was a strange summer.
I know the feeling. GL and Iron Man 2 are two movies that I can rant about all day. Not even that they were the worst movies out there, although I really do dislike GL, but just A LOT of wasted potential

The animated movie and the animated series are just that...animated. The amount of money it takes to do big space battles in a live action film is light years away from animating it.
While this is true this wouldn't exactly be the first production set almost entirely in space so I just don't see that as an excuse.

The fact that he's a hero who has a magic power ring? An earthman who joins an alien Corps?

There are plenty of superheroes who have had space adventures over the years.

Space alone does not neccessarily set Green Lantern apart.
It's not but it is an important part of his stories. Space was barely touched in the movie and so was The Corps. Every scene on Oa felt rushed so they could get back to earth. Even his training was kind of short and jarring. It was less training and more of a quick hazing (which makes his defeat of Parallax all the more surprising).

Another generic superhero with a magic ring. Who also went to an alien planet. You know, like all those other superhero movies that did that.
Different powerset, went to one alien planet, came back home to pine over girl and complain about the responsibility of the ring while using said ring.

That's ONE of the things that makes Green Lantern interesting. There are a whole lot of elements that are unique and interesting about the character and his mythology.
It's his job. It's 90% of what's interesting about him. That's like saying Peter Parker saving lives is one of the things that make him interesting. Well no kidding. It's what I read the books for. There are other things but that's why people read that book as opposed to Adam Strange or Hawkman or Superman. Space origins? Yes. No other line of books in DC do what the Green Lantern books do and that captures the interests of people and their imaginations.

Sort of like Batman, in two straight films. Three based on what we know about THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.
Not completely true. Batman was way more proactive than Green Lantern. He actually patrols his streets and goes out looking to help. Green Lantern happened to be in situations like the dinner party. I can't really explain him rescuing Waller. That was incredibly random. If he actually patrolled the city as Green Lantern looking for people to save and found her then that makes his complaining about the responsibility of the ring even more foolish.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the script for GREEN LANTERN, as is, required a massive budget for an unproven character. It had never been conceived as a pure space adventure, likely for budget reasons.
Budgetary reasons or no the entire movie felt like a tease for what could have been done than anything else. That was ultimately my problem with it. It felt like a lot of buildup and then the credits started rolling and I felt ripped off.

They did. They focused on Hal's origin story, largely set on Earth.
Hal's origin is get ring, get trained, patrol universe. That's literally everything necessary to get into the character. His issues with his father and family was not dealt with deeply (his brothers and nephew were in all of one scene) and his relationship with Hector Hammond felt tacked on and unnecessary. Add to that the fact that Hector goes evil because of an abusive superior (in this case his father) and the movie starts knocking out all kinds of superhero cliches which make the movie feel like it's running through the motions (hence my generic superhero comment).

It's a shame that WB made you wait. Funny you should mention STAR TREK. Much of STAR TREK was Kirk and Spock and all the rest of the crew's origin story.
It was. And it was awesome. It was set in space and there were aliens and lasers and everything. It really is a shame that WB made me wait for a movie that may not come. But that's what comic books and various other forms of media are for.

He's an Earthman making contact with aliens.

Of COURSE Earth has significance to his origin. Its his home.
That's the thing. It really is not significant to his origin. To his character? Yes. There are lots of issues with Martin Jordan and the Ferris family that are important to his character but removing them from his origin would not affect it like say letting Uncle Ben live. Tony Stark's drinking is important to his character but that doesn't mean it's important to his origin and neither are Hal Jordan's connections on earth important to his.

But we did see an entire IRON MAN film surrounding the basic concept that the beginning of the film and Tony's origin revolves around. We didn't exactly see Tony Stark's later adventures in IRON MAN.
Yes but Stark's origin was the first half of the film (if that) and then stayed there. Once he went back to the middle east as Iron Man and saved the day it was done. He knew who he was, his motivation was set, he became Iron Man at that point.

No he didn't.

There were what, two or three "finding himself" scenes as I recall, and then he more or less immediately leapt into action as Green Lantern at Ferris Air, fought Hector Hammond, confronted The Guardians, and defended Earth from Parallax.
And yet he didn't accept being a Green Lantern until the end. He turned his backs on the Guardians and the corps (while still using their weapon) and then flew back once it was his planet in danger. He didn't learn his lesson that there are many planets out there that need his protection and that he should get over his fear of responsibility until after the Parallax threat was taken care of. I understand the character arc. I just don't think it was particularly well told or engaging. Like I said, it felt like they were just going through the motions and it felt like I saw the movie before. Even down to Tom's "Hey. Doesn't the Hero always get the girl?" Thank you, Tom, for reminding us that we have to check love interest off the list.

Two pages? One whole issue? Maybe in the 40's. Any modern origin story runs several issues at least, or 90-120 pages. BATMAN: YEAR ONE ran several issues. MAN OF STEEL ran several issues. EMERALD DAWN, the first major modern retelling of Hal's origin, ran for several issues, and there was a second series, EMERALD DAWN II to continue it.

Those may be origin stories but there is a reason they have been retold in so many ways. The core is the origin. Take Superman for example. His being born on Krypton and being shipped to earth is his origin. That takes all of one issue to tell. Everything after that has varied from him traveling around the world helping people to him graduating college and walking right through the doors of the Daily Planet. Some have him running into foes pretty early on and some only have Lex Luthor as an antagonist with his scheme varying from origin story to origin story. You can have a story that stems out of the origin but that doesn't make it essential to a retelling. With that in mind, yes, you can have Abin Sur crash and Hal Jordan receive the ring in the same issue. You can have him flown to Oa for training in the same issue. It has been done and I have "Secret Origin" to show just that. It's a very good story (well, version) of his first adventure but it's only one of many.

I agree with your opinions on movie Hal.
Let me ask you a question because you seem to be a big GL fan. I dont know everything about GL. I've read Secret Origin, Emerald Dawn a bit ago and then Ive read Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War and Rebirth. Basically a lot of John's events and a few other things.
BUt why do they keep saying "You have the power to overcome great fear" willpower doesnt necessarily equal "overcoming fear"

I know the feeling. GL and Iron Man 2 are two movies that I can rant about all day. Not even that they were the worst movies out there, although I really do dislike GL, but just A LOT of wasted potential

What I get out of it is that they're looking for people with an extraordinary level of willpower and not just anybody. Everybody has will but it's those who are able to look at their fears and muster up the strength of will to go through it anyway that they want on their exclusive force. It's why it's so hard to get the ring to work for average people. Even Green Arrow needed everything he had just to fire one arrow out of it and Batman just couldn't get past the death of his parents in order to use it properly (he could get over it like a normal person but really cannot find the will to even start because it has fueled him for so long. Without it he's just not Batman).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"