The Official Green Lantern Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being this summer's Transformers would be just about the worst thing ever.

yes, the biggest money maker of the year and demanding an immediate threequel would spell disaster.

and to do it during the writers strike to boot. WB execs would kills their first born sons for this...and i'm not joking.

Hard to have fun when people are saying it's ordinary.

Exactly.

For example, as a Batfan, its great knowing that the first big budget blockbuster Batflick had massive hype, then went on to have overall positive review. Imagine the fun batfans had back then when it finally opened.

This...is looking like a 180 from that. And its sad, cause GL might not get another chance at the movies.

Not to be funny but we've always got First Flight and Emerald Knights to fall back on.

I really dig the hell out of those two animated features.

Well this was inevitable really. You don't have reviews blocked this long unless you have something to hide. It's that simple.

Hard to have fun when people are saying it's ordinary.

That's my point though. People anticipating this movie for two years, then all the air gets sucked out of them because one of my blogger brethren doesn't like a movie. This isn't my first rodeo, so this happens all the time, but it confuses me every time.

Well, a lot of people loved SR and I hated it. A lot of people loved First Class and i tought it was just good. A lot of people didnt like Thor and I thought it was fun as hell!

To be honest, i just want a sequel so we can have a whole movie on space, thousand of Green Lanterns battling aliens and all, Star Wars mode.

Well this was inevitable really. You don't have reviews blocked this long unless you have something to hide. It's that simple.

Ya, that was a serious red flag.

I found it interesting all the bagging I've seen on Hector Hammond. I've been of the mind that the character was just too camp all the way around - especially in his appearance .... ever since I saw first footage.

Exactly.

For example, as a Batfan, its great knowing that the first big budget blockbuster Batflick had massive hype, then went on to have overall positive review. Imagine the fun batfans had back then when it finally opened.

This...is looking like a 180 from that. And its sad, cause GL might not get another chance at the movies.

Good reviews get you more excited and enhances the experience. This is completely deflating, soul sucking, depressing, whatever term you want to use, especially if you had hopes that it would deliver something special. You can't hit every movie for 6, but it's not too much to ask for something good.

That's my point though. People anticipating this movie for two years, then all the air gets sucked out of them because one of my blogger brethren doesn't like a movie. This isn't my first rodeo, so this happens all the time, but it confuses me every time.

The last time I was in a thread on the Hype where a movie I'd anctipated was getting bombarded with lukewarm-to-negative reviews, and the "who cares what the reviews say!" argument was being batted around, it was Iron Man 2... and I ended up largely agreeing with the critics.

The last time I was in a thread on the Hype where a movie I'd anctipated was getting bombarded with lukewarm-to-negative reviews, and the "who cares what the reviews say!" argument was being batted around, it was Iron Man 2... and I ended up largely agreeing with the critics.

My wallet cares what reviewers say. :hehe:

First signs of trouble was casting Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively .

That was the biggest problem.

I was so disappointed they coped out and went with him. It was a bad indication of the direction of this film.

In many ways this film was the Anti-Superman Returns:

- They went with a known big name as the lead
- They focused on action and went for a much shorter runtime
- They apparently dumbed it down for the GA, and went the popcorn flick route. They were even planning to do this with JL:M.
- Generally bad critical reviews it seems.

Let's see if it can still be profitable.

Yeah right now Im with JMC, my wallet cares about reviewers
I mean I'll still see a movie if I was really looking forward to it but critics for me dictate whether I watch it at theaters or DVD/other means

just glad I'm not a green lantern fan. these reviews must really hurt if you are close to the source material.

I mean I get the mentality that fans want it to be good so it leads to sequels, but who cares what critics thing. Green Lantern fans have been waiting for this for years. Go have fun.

Do you tell Batman fans tio have fun watching Batman & Robin ? This is looking like Green Lantern got the same treatment as Batman & Robin

this movie is doomed to be hated.

The thing Green Lantern needs to watch out for is that, even if it's not all that bad, if it lands up with the stigma of being a bad movie, that stink will stay with it. Comic book fans are a passionate "love it or hate it" bunch. I don't think movies like X-Men 3 or Spider-Man 3 were all that bad, just average, or not as good as their contemporaries. But people treat them like foul cinematic abortions whose names are only to be spat with contempt.

I loved Iron Man 2 and thought it was better than the first so to each their own.

wasn't there a review embargo on titantic? embargo doesn't instantly = rubbush.

I see so many fans posting who are saying they will love this film no matter what. You do realize that doing that does not help things at all right? It actually makes things worse for comic adaptations when you vote with your dollar and settle for comic book movie adaptation mediocrity; forgiving just about every shotcoming. It just encourages bad movie production and the notion that movies adapted from comics are not to be taken seriously.

I say make up your own mind on any movie but don’t be scared to be honest about it.

Now, I will fully admit that from the trailers, the casting of Reynolds in the lead role, and what was leaked about the script. I have been skeptical about this movie from jump and was kind of expecting these types of reviews.

That said, I still hope to (insert deity here), that these guys and I have been dead wrong about GL. I plan on going in with an open mind and allowing this film to whelm or underwhelm based on it’s own merits.

Tickets are purchased for tomorrow night, midnight showing… let the chips fall where they may. :hal:

just glad I'm not a green lantern fan. these reviews must really hurt if you are close to the source material.

Nope, he's my favorite hero (Well, Superman, Batman, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and Steve Rogers are my favorites, top spot depending on my mood.) and I still don't give half a **** what the reviews are saying. I can't wait to see it. Sadly, this is the only GL discussion going on though.

This is such a shame. Even as a Marvel fan I was hoping, like just about everybody here, it'd be good and open the door to more DC movies for me to, maybe not obsess over like I do Marvel, but catch in theaters for a fun time. If Cap gets reviews like this I'll hang myself. It's one thing when the reviewers don't buy into the lore or a purist nitpicks it to hell, but when seemingly earnest fans who review it online express frustration and disappointment is when it really sucks to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"