GREEN LANTERN: RISE OF THE MANHUNTERS tie-in Game

I'm most looking forward to the on-rails parts, if they're anything like starfox 64.

I'm much more leery of the combat--a lot of these licensed movie games are just button mashers.

the spinning around with the chains looks like it will be like god of war combos. hopefully they have the x-men legends hold trigger and use a power. that way they can add lots of constructs and you just choose the ones you like. i want to fly and use my lantern to recharge whenever, hope its like a little thing they threw in there.

Moving this thread to Green Lantern World. I think it fits better here than in the Green Lantern (Spoilers) thread.

G4 TV's X-Play recently interviewed Geoff Johns on GLROM and it's gameplay. That video can be found here.

You can stop by your local Best Buy this week to play the demo.

Last edited:
I got to play a demo of the game and this is what I got from it:

• You get to play as Hal Jordan in the game and have initially available to you some basic constructs (fist(s), swords, a grappling chain, force field) and some special constructs (mini-rocket launcher, Gatling gun, baseball bat, mace and chains, a drill) with the ability to jump hover/fly, rush. As you continue on in the game you gain experience points and are awarded new constructs.
  • In the initial cut scene (which is the unedited version of the game trailer) you get to see Amon Sur, the son of Abin Sur.
  • The ring has a female voice that sounds just like the Adjutant (Terran Advisor) in the Starcraft games. One memorable quote from the game was when Hal told the ring that he needed a big hammer (BFH). When he asked if it could make one for him, the ring said "I am powered by your will, Green Lantern. Anything you can imagine, I can create."). I found that kind of profound as well as memorable.
  • There was a reference to the book of Oa being in the game.
  • When you take on hits, you can build up enough dammage to go into an energy surge mode where you have unlimited energy for a brief period of time. This mode is similar to the rage mode in tHe MK vs. DCU game a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'll be picking this up.

Played this game yesterday while in Best Buy. Seemed pretty fun, and hearing Sinestro criticizing while on missions is hilarious.

Yeah, it's pretty fun, I'm in Best Buy right now and just checked it out. You feel pretty powerful with the strong attacks, especially when you do one from the air.

This game will also be featured at the MCM-Expo in London next weekend. I don't know if they will feature anything different form what we have already demoed, but it would be interesting to read what our friends on the other side of the pond think of the game.

Is it worth the $59.99 price tag? I picked up "Thor" last month, got to the last level, and ended up taking it back because it got ridiculously frustrating and repetitive. I love the idea of making a ton of constructs, but movie tie-ins are usually awful. I've been dying for a full fledged GL game, but then again, I was dying for a full fledged Thor game, and we all saw what happened with that.

Probably best to wait on reviews.

I just rented the game and payed Blockbuster's exhortation fee, and...it's alright! It's no Arkham Asylum on anything (the graphics have that sub-par, licensed game look), but if you're looking for a hand-n-slash with Green Lantern powers, the game has it where it counts. The game pretty much gives you any energy construct you could ever want; you start off slashing away with upgradable swords, and quickly move up to energy blasts, a powerful hammer, and the gatling gun they keep showing in trailers. The constructs have a nice translucent effect, and the Manhunters explode spectacularly when you defeat them.

If it had a decent budget and a couple more years development time, it could have been a solid 8-8.5.

Unfortunately it has 'cash-in' written all over it, and a serious lack of imagination/care/creativity. The best thing about it is that the control scheme is solid and functional.

I agree with both RisanF and RoughNTumble. The game does have "cash in" written all over it, but it's also better than most movie tie-in games I've come across (which isn't saying much). It's your typical "show up, defeat a wave of enemies, level up, and get to the next platform" deal, however, I am really enjoying the way you can chain your constructs together to perform combos and attacks. The constructs themselves are pretty imaginative in their function throughout the game, and once you get them all, you can perform some pretty cool combos if you're fast enough.

I haven't beaten the game, but from what I can tell, the developers of the game TRIED to make a real Green Lantern experience for gamers, and got a lot of it right. With a better story, and some improved graphics, this could be a solid gaming experience for fans. Then again, it's not the worst tie-in you'll play, but it's also not the best superhero gaming experience you're going to come across.

And, although it's not likely, this game could be even better with a DLC pack featuring new constructs, levels, and costumes.

My son and I played through the first level or so last night. We had a blast. The game kind of reminds me of The Force Unleashed game if that helps anyone. I certainly don't regret getting this whatsoever. I can't wait to get more time to play it.

And like 0neDisturbedSOB said, if they make some cool DLC for this like other characters or even Hal's classic costume with the white gloves, it'd be the bees knees.

I agree with Rex. While I'm not partial to the white gloves, it would be cool to see some classic skins.

The comparison to "Force Unleashed" is pretty accurate too. I just beat the game, and although it's EXTREMELY short, it is one of the better movie tie-ins you're likely to play this year. I'm just hoping the Captain America game can top this one. 2/3 (with Thor being awful) isn't bad.

Sounds like this game's worth picking up. I'll give it a shot.

You can easily beat it in one sitting. It's incredibly short. I'm REALLY hoping for DLC, but I seriously doubt it.

The bummer with beating it so quickly, is there's not a lot of replay value. I suppose you could go through on a different setting and play, but once you've leveled up to the max and have all the constructs - it's so easy. You really only travel to 3 unique worlds, and there's no content in the way of bonus features or unlockables.

It's fun, but it's obviously a movie tie-in game they made to promote the movie. I was at Best Buy earlier playing again and some other dude jumped in, and we did the whole "bad guy baseball" thing for a couple minutes, with people watching.

I'm curious to see if anyone has played this on the Wii. The "cartoonized" versions of everything looked fun enough, I just couldn't bring myself to buy the same game on two consoles without playing through one first. I like the idea of these games being made "kid friendly" for the Wii. It's almost an entirely different gaming experience than the next gen consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"