• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whatever happened to the Hype! Awards?

Not Jake said:
This is silly because Darthphere would have to take himself out of the running for best comics forum poster. It's cool if he's OK with that but I would probably be putting my vote towards him. Him or Corp, but I don't even see Corp posting very much anymore. Or Tmob. Tmob! Makes the future week's releases thread, and posts in Rex Mundi, which totally counts 'cause it's in the Misc Comics forum.:up:

That's probably the best comic forum thread:up:
What about Dread

Not Jake said:
Responsibility shucker
I've lost interest. You can thank Twy for that. But she's right I was essentialy making it a Community thing only.

But honestly I don't have the desire or drive to include any of the other forums.

ShadowBoxing said:
What about Dread
Dread will probably win, he's beloved in the Marvel forum. I, however, have different posting sensibilities, and as such, find other posters more appealing than Dread, king of the droning, screen-filling paragraphs. I find that he has about 3 or 4 reviews that he uses over and over every month (____ is too liberally biased, ____ runs too late, ____ has no redeeming qualities yet I read it anyway, and INSERT UNPOPULAR, LIGHTHEARTED COMIC OR RUNAWAYS is a delight).

Not so much with the Dread love here. It's OK if you like him.:up:

Not Jake said:
Dread will probably win, he's beloved in the Marvel forum. I, however, have different posting sensibilities, and as such, find other posters more appealing than Dread, king of the droning, screen-filling paragraphs. I find that he has about 3 or 4 reviews that he uses over and over every month (____ is too liberally biased, ____ runs too late, ____ has no redeeming qualities yet I read it anyway, and INSERT UNPOPULAR, LIGHTHEARTED COMIC OR RUNAWAYS is a delight).

Not so much with the Dread love here. It's OK if you like him.:up:
Actually I've noticed the same thing. And I don't find his reviews that insightful either, it's generally the "safe" or "logically inoffensive" opinions with him. Giving books with generally good buzz good reviews, and one's with bad buzz bad reviews...not to say you have to make controversial statements in every post, but still...I sometimes feel like I am reading the Diamond Comics Previews and Reviews section.

Erzengel said:
I've lost interest. You can thank Twy for that. But she's right I was essentialy making it a Community thing only.

But honestly I don't have the desire or drive to include any of the other forums.
Well here's the thing: only a ****** would do more than Community and the most popular GENERAL forums (Comics, Movies, Games, etc). You can't be expected to do Batman forums awards, Spider-Man forum awards, Fantastic Four and whatever. I don't even think I would do TV forum awards

Really, it IS just a community and comics thing, because this is a superhero messsage board, where people do two things: talk about superheroes (comics) and talk to each other (community). I think doing a "Best comics poster" and "best movies poster" is less about which forum they do their posting on and more about their knowledge and personality applied to the subject at hand. "Best movies poster" could be a guy you talk to in community all the time who seems to reference movies a lot. You know? The previous Hype awards weren't all about specific forum posting, but more about the attributes of certain posters who've become high-profile to these boards because of said attributes.

If I were to start these up, I wouldn't go deep into the forums, I'd probably just do awards geared towards community posting, comics posting, and possibly movies posting, due to SuperheroHype.com being a website covering superheroes and their media (which are comics and movies). I'd probably drop out Games awards because the forums have slowed to a crawl lately, as nearly every prominent poster was either banned or has abandoned the place for a new board.

ShadowBoxing said:
Actually I've noticed the same thing. And I don't find his reviews that insightful either, it's generally the "safe" or "logically inoffensive" opinions with him. Giving books with generally good buzz good reviews, and one's with bad buzz bad reviews...not to say you have to make controversial statements in every post, but still...I sometimes feel like I am reading the Diamond Comics Previews and Reviews section.
To be fair I don't really think he does the "safe" review; Astonishing X-Men generally has great "buzz" but he dogs it.

Anyway this isn't the thread to argue merits of candidates (even though I've totally done that) so let's drop it so as not to bias anyone.

Not Jake said:
Well here's the thing: only a ****** would do more than Community and the most popular GENERAL forums (Comics, Movies, Games, etc). You can't be expected to do Batman forums awards, Spider-Man forum awards, Fantastic Four and whatever. I don't even think I would do TV forum awards

Really, it IS just a community and comics thing, because this is a superhero messsage board, where people do two things: talk about superheroes (comics) and talk to each other (community). I think doing a "Best comics poster" and "best movies poster" is less about which forum they do their posting on and more about their knowledge and personality applied to the subject at hand. "Best movies poster" could be a guy you talk to in community all the time who seems to reference movies a lot. You know? The previous Hype awards weren't all about specific forum posting, but more about the attributes of certain posters who've become high-profile to these boards because of said attributes.

If I were to start these up, I wouldn't go deep into the forums, I'd probably just do awards geared towards community posting, comics posting, and possibly movies posting, due to SuperheroHype.com being a website covering superheroes and their media (which are comics and movies). I'd probably drop out Games awards because the forums have slowed to a crawl lately, as nearly every prominent poster was either banned or has abandoned the place for a new board.

This sounds fine to me, I'd even go back to the awards I suggested earlier in the thread.

Then just do a thread get nominations, narrow it down to a top 5ish and then have 7 judges to vote on them.

Not Jake said:
To be fair I don't really think he does the "safe" review; Astonishing X-Men generally has great "buzz" but he dogs it.
Hadn't noticed that.

Oh yeah, if it hasn't been made clear...I'll totally host these awards. I don't care what you guys think, I've been awesome here for over 4 years, I'm due for something like this. And I'll be forever remembered in a glorious light as the guy who hosted that thing that time.

That's my only real imput then.

One giant thread with a list of awards, each poster is allowed to post their choices. Tally them up and then what I was going to do was pick a poster from each year 2000 - 2006, respectable ones to vote on the top 5 nominations for each awards. I'd also recommend getting 2 additional judges just in case one of the other judges is nominated for an award.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

That whole "respectable posters" thing, you know, the Nomination Nominators, could be troublesome. First off, who says that my opinion of the Nomination Nominators is solid? Do we need Nomination Nominators Nominations? Also, if these Nomination Nominators are so well-respected, they'd probably be nominated for something, and how do we handle the Nomination Nominators nominating their own nominations?

Here's the bare bones, i's 5:30 am, give me a break. Dunno if I'll keep the It Girl and Boy, it's kind of just retread of the others; Poster of the year could feasibly It Boy/Girl, because of their awesomeness. Don't know if I should keep 'em in. On the other hand, popularity awards are what the world wants:up: Also, I have to whip up something for comics, either a single award or a couple, whatever, I'm tired, I'm going to sleep. I'll read your complaints tomorrow (read: later today).

Awards for Individual Posting
Funniest Poster
Smartest Poster
It Boy
It Girl
Newbie of the Year
Dick of the Year
Poster of the Year

Thread Awards
Funniest Thread of the Year
Community Thread of the Year
Hype Thread of the Year

Miscellaneous
Hypetime Achievement Award
Mod of the Year
Best Fan Fic Story
Best Fan Artist
Most Helpful With Technical Information

Not Jake said:
That whole "respectable posters" thing, you know, the Nomination Nominators, could be troublesome. First off, who says that my opinion of the Nomination Nominators is solid? Do we need Nomination Nominators Nominations? Also, if these Nomination Nominators are so well-respected, they'd probably be nominated for something, and how do we handle the Nomination Nominators nominating their own nominations?

Just thinking ahead and don't want a Wil or a jag losing to a JAL because they are intentionally funny.

Not Jake said:
Here's the bare bones, i's 5:30 am, give me a break. Dunno if I'll keep the It Girl and Boy, it's kind of just retread of the others; Poster of the year could feasibly It Boy/Girl, because of their awesomeness. Don't know if I should keep 'em in. On the other hand, popularity awards are what the world wants:up: Also, I have to whip up something for comics, either a single award or a couple, whatever, I'm tired, I'm going to sleep. I'll read your complaints tomorrow (read: later today).

Awards for Individual Posting
Funniest Poster
Smartest Poster
It Boy
It Girl
Newbie of the Year
Dick of the Year
Poster of the Year

Thread Awards
Funniest Thread of the Year
Community Thread of the Year
Hype Thread of the Year

Miscellaneous
Hypetime Achievement Award
Mod of the Year
Best Fan Fic Story
Best Fan Artist
Most Helpful With Technical Information

That should be enough, I think.

ShadowBoxing said:

Yeah, i'll say a comic sucks ass and insult your mother at the same time. Just for kicks.

I'm still digging the

Best Advice-Giver Award

Mostly cause I think I have a chance at winning that. :up:

Oh yeah, I forgot to copy/paste that one, I can dig it

I find "most helpful with technical information" to be a lame award but I'll leave it, whatever

I want some sort of derogatory award for the worst thread, but I'm trying to find a way to word it that won't draw votes for threads that got no replies:o Worst thread (100 replies or more)?:o Like "most embarrassing thread" but more inclusive:up:

and yeah, still have to decide on the comics and movies award(s)

I wanna be dick of the year...

The Croc hunter sucked, I'm glad he's dead.

NewYorkSpider said:
That was mean.:cmad:

You've got my vote.:up: :woot:

Irwin.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back