Where are all the Marvel games??

BoredGuy

Never Did a Popular Thing
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY, where are they?

All we keep getting from Marvel is Mobile games that leave quite a lot to be desired, the latest one to be announced is the new Uncanny X-Men: DOFP, a 2d side-scroller.

The only major platform games they've released in the past several years have been:
-Lego Marvel, which is very fun a chock full o' characters, but is unavoidably light and kid-friendly
-The occasional Spiderman game, which have ranged from awful to passable lately
&
-Deadpool, which is definitely not kid friendly, but left a bit to be desired in the "good game" department

How is it that, with the multitude of CBM's coming out, as well as two shiny new platforms to exploit, only DEADPOOL has gotten a big-budget title?? Where is the follow up to Cap to coincide with TWS? How much insane fun would a Guardians of The Galaxy game be?!

The only thing I can think of is how cheap it must be to push through those little mobile games based on other games' platforms, but that's a lame excuse
Marvel needs to start makin' mine again!

An open world,RPG game like Skyrim, sets in the NY version of Marvel Universe,where you can either be a hero or a villain would be awesome

SERIOUSLY, where are they?

All we keep getting from Marvel is Mobile games that leave quite a lot to be desired, the latest one to be announced is the new Uncanny X-Men: DOFP, a 2d side-scroller.

The only major platform games they've released in the past several years have been:
-Lego Marvel, which is very fun a chock full o' characters, but is unavoidably light and kid-friendly
-The occasional Spiderman game, which have ranged from awful to passable lately
&
-Deadpool, which is definitely not kid friendly, but left a bit to be desired in the "good game" department

How is it that, with the multitude of CBM's coming out, as well as two shiny new platforms to exploit, only DEADPOOL has gotten a big-budget title?? Where is the follow up to Cap to coincide with TWS? How much insane fun would a Guardians of The Galaxy game be?!

The only thing I can think of is how cheap it must be to push through those little mobile games based on other games' platforms, but that's a lame excuse
Marvel needs to start makin' mine again!

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think this is what is happening. I think that what Disney is doing is sorting out all the video game rights to Marvel before aggressively pumping out Marvel video games. Capcom has lost the fighting license, Sega lost the rights to make games based off the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Activision has lost the licenses to X-Men and Spider-Man (it seems like Amazing Spider-Man 2 is going to be their last Spider-Man game).

So with almost all the Marvel games in one basket, Disney can sell a much more valuable Marvel license to a publisher like EA or Ubisoft that has the talent to support AAA Marvel games while Disney keeps the mobile, social, and casual titles. It's what Disney has done with Star Wars and the Marvel IP is much more valuable by having them all together as opposed to one publisher having the fighting rights, another having the Spider-Man rights, another having the MMO rights, etc.

An open world,RPG game like Skyrim, sets in the NY version of Marvel Universe,where you can either be a hero or a villain would be awesome

that would be nice.

especially if you could create your own character.

essentially like DCUO, except it won't be a MMO.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think this is what is happening. I think that what Disney is doing is sorting out all the video game rights to Marvel before aggressively pumping out Marvel video games. Capcom has lost the fighting license, Sega lost the rights to make games based off the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Activision has lost the licenses to X-Men and Spider-Man (it seems like Amazing Spider-Man 2 is going to be their last Spider-Man game).

So with almost all the Marvel games in one basket, Disney can sell a much more valuable Marvel license to a publisher like EA or Ubisoft that has the talent to support AAA Marvel games while Disney keeps the mobile, social, and casual titles. It's what Disney has done with Star Wars and the Marvel IP is much more valuable by having them all together as opposed to one publisher having the fighting rights, another having the Spider-Man rights, another having the MMO rights, etc.

Yep, all signs seem to point to something like that happening. The only Marvel game of note to come out is Marvel Heroes that charged you per character ($10 to $20) or for sets up to $200.

It's too bad that SEGA's phase 1 games fell flat as Captain America and The Incredible Hulk showed great promise, but mainly because they both were heavily inspired from prior good games (Arkham Asylum for Captain America and the Ultimate Destruction for Hulk).

I hope some day in the future Capcom can get the Marvel license back, but I would like to see Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 from the tournament scene for 3 to 5 more years.

that makes sense.

Yep, all signs seem to point to something like that happening. The only Marvel game of note to come out is Marvel Heroes that charged you per character ($10 to $20) or for sets up to $200.
With the way Marvel Heroes has spectacularly failed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney shut it down and add the MMO rights to the bundle of rights to whatever publisher Disney sells it to (my guess is that EA would be the favorite considering that EA already has the licenses to Star Wars and ESPN).

It's too bad that SEGA's phase 1 games fell flat as Captain America and The Incredible Hulk showed great promise, but mainly because they both were heavily inspired from prior good games (Arkham Asylum for Captain America and the Ultimate Destruction for Hulk).
Sega just never had the talent to support Marvel games. And personally Sega just doesn't have much of a future with the new generation.

I hope some day in the future Capcom can get the Marvel license back, but I would like to see Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 from the tournament scene for 3 to 5 more years.
After the way Capcom has treated Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I hope they never touch the license ever again. And with Sega, I just don't have much faith in Capcom's business model to keep it sustainable this generation.

Because the truth is, the money is now in Apps for Tablets and phones.

Marvel isn't a charity lol.

I don't think marvel likes taking too big a risk with video games hence why we keep getting cheap temple run type rip offs.

It's such a shame because there's a market for it and with disneys backing they could really contribute to the medium. I would love to play a truly epic iron man game

You didn't count the Marvel Heroes Online game
Is it cause it's not multiplatform?

Yea that's clearly what's happening, my only question is how are they getting the rights back to Spider-Man and the X Men. I thought those contracts ran into 2017?

Just make a game as open as Lego Marvel but with normal graphics. But have there be things to do unlike the empty New York in the Spider-Man games.

Yea that's clearly what's happening, my only question is how are they getting the rights back to Spider-Man and the X Men. I thought those contracts ran into 2017?
Seems to me like contracts are meant to be broken when it comes to the Activision end of the gaming industry

I would pay top dollar for a Blade game, with Snipes reprising his role.

I would pay top dollar for a Blade game, with Snipes reprising his role.
Slave trade for a game? :oldrazz:

Top Dollar is the name of the chief villain in the first Crow movie, the one starring Brandon Lee

They're all over at Activision. Either they don't come out or they're not that impressive. Not much will change with things staying that way IMO.

That's why I keep saying DC should take advantage put out more superhero games (well, good games). There is a demand for superheroes and a whole market that you can almost consider untapped.

Well, i never played it, but DC even won the movie to vídeo game adaptations of 2011 with their Green Lantern Game, which seems to have been decent and even fun. Would like to see another vídeo game connected to the MCU, they should look at one of their properties (outsider X-Men, Spider-Man and FF) and just focus their resources on turning it into a Top Tier vídeo game.

you can buy each character with eternity splinters in game for it to be cheaper and those drop often but yeah if you want a certain pack they will cost some thin like that for more thenm one suit . but I've been earning them in game and that takes the pressure off as have others.

The dev's have to eat and do other things to keep that ARPG (as their calling it these days) running and still adding in content of which they have been adding since and the game has in deed become more fun as opposed to when it launched . and all before they think about bringing in it to consoles though. and the price's are lowering.

You didn't count the Marvel Heroes Online game
Is it cause it's not multiplatform?

it's cause that one is already with in marvel control. Gaz reports to marvel often to see what they are allowed to add and can't can't add . This is what Disney wants for their rest of their(marvel's) games ip's from now on. as to it be Multi plat they said they have had talks that won't happen till more fun content is abundant prior to that happens.

Last edited:
Asides from Amazing Spider-Man games, Activision has pulled all Spider-Man and X-Men games off from the digital storefronts of Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam and are not printing new copies of those games. When asked about what was going on Activision's Community Manager stated: "Contracts have dates. Whatchagonnado."

It baffled me as well because it's as you say, Activision's contract should have ran out on 2017. My guess is that it was a mutual decision between Disney and Activision. For Disney, they most likely want to have all the rights to the Marvel video games organized for them to sell to another publisher.

For Activision, it's just simply coming down to their business strategy. None of their Marvel games really sold all that well and they are transitioning to rely on less and less licensed properties and more on creating mega-blockbuster hits like Call of Duty and Skylanders. Hence why it has given up on the Family Guy, 007, Men in Black, and other licenses. Giving up on Marvel seems logical for them.

Not only that but with the way licensed games have transitioned themselves into, are better suited for the mobile and social genres, not console games. The only way AAA licensed games are going to become successful hits in today's gaming industry is if the developer and publisher put in a lot of effort that we've seen in games like the Batman: Arkham, LEGO, or South Park: Stick of Truth. Which is something Activision just really doesn't want to do.

Last edited:
Asides from Amazing Spider-Man games, Activision has pulled all Spider-Man and X-Men games off from the digital storefronts of Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam and are not printing new copies of those games. When asked about what was going on Activision's Community Manager stated: "Contracts have dates. Whatchagonnado."

It baffled me as well because it's as you say, Activision's contract should have ran out on 2017. My guess is that it was a mutual decision between Disney and Activision. For Disney, they most likely want to have all the rights to the Marvel video games organized for them to sell to another publisher.

For Activision, it's just simply coming down to their business strategy. None of their Marvel games really sold all that well and they are transitioning to rely on less and less licensed properties and more on creating mega-blockbuster hits like Call of Duty and Skylanders. Hence why it has given up on the Family Guy, 007, Men in Black, and other licenses. Giving up on Marvel seems logical for them.

Not only that but with the way licensed games have transitioned themselves into, are better suited for the mobile and social genres, not console games. The only way AAA licensed games are going to become successful hits in today's gaming industry is if the developer and publisher put in a lot of effort that we've seen in games like the Batman: Arkham or LEGO series. Which is something Activision just really doesn't want to do.

Yea that makes sense. I don't see Activision just letting the license slide, if it wasn't a mutual decision. Activision wants properties they can annualize and like you stated i think they realized Spidey and the X-Men weren't going to fit in with that model, even though they tried briefly with SM. Hopefully some good comes of this. I mean we are already seeing a fan requested title make a comeback in Battlefront on the Star Wars side, so maybe Disney will handle their Marvel properties in a similar fashion. No reason we cant have a Spidey game with the quality of say the Arkham series.

I hope so. I haven't been keeping up with announcements on that.

Yea thats what we've been talking about. It appears that after The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Disney will have obtained all the rights to their Marvel properties. What they do with them, is still up in the air. Id assume they'd do what they did with Star Wars. Give all the properties to one publisher the way they did with Star Wars. Who knows though considering just how many properties there are under the Marvel banner.

Aren't they keeping the right for movies Spidey games? Even after releasing TASM2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"