Which DC Origin Story Would You Like To See Phillips Try Next?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
A Joker Sequel Is Happening and Now More DC Origin Stories May Be on the Way
38rep_jokerillo_w.jpg

According to the Hollywood Reporter this morning, Joker’s massive box office success and the early awards season buzz for lead actor Joaquin Phoenix has led Warner Bros. to move forward with a sequel to the Batman villain origin movie. And director Todd Phillips is almost certain to helm the project.

THR also notes that Phillips was also in discussions with Warner Bros. to potentially oversee a number of different origin films using DC Comics characters. The piece says the director met with Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich after the first successful weekend over Joker and that he shot for the moon and asked for “the rights to develop a portfolio of DC characters’ origin stories.” THR says he got the rights to at least one.

While there’s no word yet as to whether the studio is interested in the idea of more gritty, grounded films masquerading as superhero stories, one imagines that the studio’s seriously considering whether doing so would be in their financial interest.

Now that more DC origin stories seem to be on the table as a possibility who would you like to see get this treatment next?

I wouldn't. I'd like to see Joker remain its own unique thing.

Lex Luthor is basically a given

Some other Batman villains that could make for an interesting movie:
Mister Freeze
Two-Face
Scarecrow
Bane
Clayface
Ra's Al Ghul
Hush

As I have said below Mr Freeze would be my personal choice but in terms of the universe Phillips has created I think the smoothest transition could be Two-Face. A modern day Jekyll & Hyde story about the monster living beneath the appearance that we all display to the world is something I think could resonate with a lot of people.

Mr. Freeze
qIUncOO.gif

YESSSSS!!!!!!!

Who would you like to see play him? I like Ed Harris, Jared Harris or Christopher Waltz.

They'd be silly if they didn't make Heart of Ice into a full movie. Pick a really good actor/actress for Victor and Nora and that's an Oscar winning picture right there.

I'd love a movie about the Ventriloquist too actually.

Scar-face and the Ventriloquist set in the 80s with The Joker vibe. Make him someone working his way up to the boss of the mob.

I've been advocating a Mr Freeze film for a while using Paul Dini's tragic love and revenge story. It writes itself ,though I don't want Phillips to direct it.

If they're gonna do villain solo films, they each need to be their own thing with each one reflecting the varying lives and forces which turn these characters into villains.

You need other filmmakers to do that as opposed to relying on one filmmakers vision.

They shouldn't all be Joker clones , which I fear is what WB will expect and want them to be.

I say keep it in “Gotham City”:

Two-Face
Scarecrow
Mr. Freeze
Bane
Man-Bat
Ras Al Ghul

Any of them would be outrageously cool.

They'd be silly if they didn't make Heart of Ice into a full movie. Pick a really good actor/actress for Victor and Nora and that's an Oscar winning picture right there.

Michael Fassbender is my pick for Victor. My pick for Nora would actually be Jodie Whittaker.

Bradley Cooper as Oliver Queen and Lady Gaga as Black Canary in this precautionary Elseworld tale about the danger of being a vigilante while flirting and singing with each other during street battles

The whole idea that Joker is getting a sequel baffles me. From what I understand it was successful because of its origin element and the way it was tackled. How can that be improved upon without diving further into Gotham and bringing in other characters (thus taking away from the Joker?)

As for other origin films, I wouldn’t mind something on Slade Wilson and his Deathstroke origin before he becomes Deathstroke. Outside of Gotham villains though, and Lex Luthor because that one would be a no brainer, I’d love to see...

Eobard Thawne. His envy (or jealousy?) of Barry Allen, the intentional accident giving him his powers, his failure to be the hero he sought to be, maybe an internal struggle between being respected and being envious - realising he’ll never live up to the Flash, learning who the Flash actually is and ultimately ending the film with him going back in time to kill Nora Allen, thus the act that truly sets him up as the villain he’ll forever be.

I'd really like to see a Luthor movie before Joker 2. Phillips was good at dealing with politics and business in the Joker movie, which he can expand upon in a Luthor movie. If Phillips prefers to do Joker 2, he could still develop and produce a Luthor movie for someone else to direct.

Lex Luthor film starring Bradley Cooper

That simple.

I would love to see Phillips tackle Bane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"