WB/DC appears to be headed to the dark side.

db85usa

HeHe!
Reaction score
Are we being duped with all the talk that Justice League is going to be lighter and more fun? I know there have been reports on set of the actors having more fun and the film as a whole is more comedic but at the end of the day, Zack Snyder was practically a horror director prior to Man of Steel with: Dawn of the Dead, 300, Sucker Punch and Watchmen. All of these films had major horror undertones. He developed dark films. That's a fact. Batman v Superman was also a very dark film that's not the first time you've heard that. At first glance, Batman v Superman can really be taken as a horror like film, excluding the gore.

James Wan (Saw, Dead Silence, Insidious 1 & 2, The Conjuring 1 & 2) is directing Aquaman, and now the recent news of David F. Sandberg (Lights Out, Annabelle: Creation, countless horror shorts) as the director for Shazam! What's with grabbing the Masters of Horror? Is anyone else concerned about these moves? Are we being fooled and falling for a bait and switch? Nothing against horror directors but, they do have a tendency to lean on dark sets and lots of blue or dark blue color enhancements. In Zack's case, we saw this in a few scenes in Man of Steel and especially BvS. Not to mention, the latest Justice League Comic-Con sneak peek trailer explicitly shows dark scenes. We're fortunate for Wonder Woman and her worldwide success. That was the best thing to ever happen to Warner Bros., the DCEU and more importantly, it's following. Back to my point. I see a pattern developing that I'm not too thrilled about.

I don't know about the rest of you here on SHH, but I'm a little concerned if you can't already tell. Are these directors (Snyder, Wan, Sandberg) really THE BEST Warner Bros. can get for their biggest movies ever? Right now and for the foreseeable future? We know Toby Emmerich is president and chief content officer. He churned out Annabelle under New Line Cinema in the past to which David F. Sandberg (Shazam! director) and WB developed the sequel Annabelle: Creation so the connection makes sense, sure. I'm just not so sure about the choice.

Mr. Ben Affleck himself once said regarding WB/DC, and I quote, "They are now developing … probably the single greatest under-exploited IP asset in the entertainment business, the DC comic world. And now they have started to exploit that and you are going to see that blossom. And, when it does, it’s going to be massive." - Source

If it's so massive and if DC is their baby, wouldn't it make sense to watch it blossom naturally, slowly and carefully instead of forcibly before our very own eyes?

Mr. Toby Emmerich, was quoted in an article saying, "I would be surprised if we didn’t at some point make an R-rated DC movie,” says Emmerich. - Source

I understand WB wants every studio to envy them. But is going dark and upgrading the rating for the Motion Picture Association of America the way to go? Why? Because it worked for Marvel? The road map thus far has been uneven to say the least. In my humble opinion, children under the age of 13 will make or break the DC Universe. Justice League CANNOT suffer the same critical fallout that Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, as a result. If this occurs, my friends, I'm afraid the reset switch will be activated OR Warner Bros. hand will be forced (there's that word again) to take the long route and open the doors for The Marvel Model by releasing solo films. I hope that's not the case. I hope I'm wrong but everything up to this point hinges on, you guessed it, Horror storytellers. Save us Joss Whedon :huh:

Last edited:
I don't think Zack counts as a horror director. Sure his first movie was Dawn of the Dead but every other movie since that hasn't been a horror movie.

Was Sam Raimi a horror movie director ?

And yet, his Spider-Man movies were made for wide demographic, so it's not an issue.

I don't think Zack counts as a horror director. Sure his first movie was Dawn of the Dead but every other movie since that hasn't been a horror movie.

Agreed.

Short answer: No. Snyder was just the best that WB could get at the time, to take over their Superman movie project on the time scale they insisted. He was a fancier, more artistic Brett Ratner.

Hopefully, the upcoming set of directors are more like Jenkins and less like Snyder.

Yeah, I forgot how horrific Furious 7 was. That part when Jason Statham parades Han's charred remains around LA just before brutally scalping the already bald Tyrese is burned into my memory for life.

It's not just WB/DC though.
Sure, you can argue some directors came from more of a horror comedy background - Raimi, Whedon, Gunn, ~Waititi -
but guys like GDT, Derrickson, Watts, and the ones you've named are obviously more straight forward on that front.
Even, the more recent X-Men movies/shows content-wise have been dipping into horror even though those filmmakers aren't actually known for horror.

Yeah, I forgot how horrific Furious 7 was. That part when Jason Statham parades Han's charred remains around LA just before brutally scalping the already bald Tyrese is burned into my memory for life.

WHAT!!! Did that really happen? I have never finished one of those movies.

Post had a lot of energy. Misguided. I think some self reflection needed

Before Superman: The Movie, Richard Donner directed The Omen.

Jesus.

Glad I didn't watch that nonsense.

^

SARCASM.jpg

For future reference.

Horror and comedy have similar beats, so if your looking to inject some strong emotion into your film, can't go wrong with a horror or comedy director.

Also Sandberg knows how to direct kids. That's a good thing for Shazam.

The R-rated thing is due to the breakout success of Deadpool, studios tend to copy successful concepts. Logan doing well won't hurt either.

It doesn't really say much about the overall direction, though, it just means that they are probably looking at creating something in that niche.

Studios have begun to make a habit of bringing in quite a varied group of directors for these films, with a great deal of success overall.

Looking at the directors' past projects doesn't necessarily say much about what they will do in the extended universe. The Russos directing background didn't say much about what Winter Soldier would be like, just to take an example.

Ignoring that too long OP, some comic book stories need to be rated R and attempts to shove them into a PG13 movie need to stop. I know Fox has some potential rated R material but I don't know how much DC has. I think it would have been interesting to have a rated R suicide Squad.

I'm sure if that if the OP proclaimed Snyder as the messiah and claimed that the DCEU could make blind people see, the length of his post wouldn't be a problem. :o

Dark side would be some guy licking a Batman 89 poster and then taking pics of that, but some stories need to be dark. Eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"