• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 2

Also, you can downplay John's importance to JL/JLU all you want, but that show had people around the world going "WTF? Why is GL white?". It arguably carries more weight than the comics since the GA doesn't care about them. If JL/JLU John didn't matter, this debate wouldn't exist.

I've seen you mention this a few times now. But, honest question, if they would have used John for the 2011 movie, do you honestly believe there wouldn't have been just as many people, if not more, asking "why is Green Lantern black?".

Instead, people keep demanding John. He seems to win by a large margin in polls more often than not.

I haven't seen any polls where John wins. I have no doubt that they exist, but I've seen many and Hal has always won, including this one. I've even seen some where John comes in 3rd behind Kyle.

Last edited:
You can try w/one sentence.You miss the point/power of making an film adaption. It's like you watched John on JL/JLU, liked him, but didn't learn anything from it. He can fight whoever they want him to. Hell, maybe he could fight Sinestro and elevate Sinestro's status like Sinestro v Hal never has.

You can try w/one sentence.You miss the point/power of making an film adaption. It's like you watched John on JL/JLU, liked him, but didn't learn anything from it. He can fight whoever they want him to. Hell, maybe he could fight Sinestro and elevate Sinestro's status like Sinestro v Hal never has.

John would elevate Sinestro if he was his nemesis? lol While you're at it, why don't you have a movie where John dates Carol Ferris or make Barry Allen John's best friend. Basically, let's turns a white Hal into a black Hal, due to somebody's notion that Jordan is a toxic character just because they personally don't like him.

This isn't the comics. So whatever has happened with him (or Hal) in the comics is irrelevant.

But then again GL fandom is one of the most self-destructive around (the X-fandom comes close). It's not enough to have your own favorite. No, they must tear down/take petty shots at the others and their fans. It's really pathetic actually.

Hal, John, Kyle, Guy, etc. They could ALL make a good lead for a film, it just depends on the writing. None is any more "worthy" than the other, end of story.

Last edited:
lol I know what kind of people you're referring to, but that damn sure doesn't pertain to me. I don't attack or try to demean others who have different opinions than me or enjoy different fictional characters that I do. If I have a problem with other comments is usually due to the way they are presented, not due to disliking that they took shots at characters that I am a fan of. That's part of every fandom, fan wars are bound to happen, what matters is the way they happen. If I see someone claim to not like Hal Jordan, I have no reason to attack that person for their opinion. If I see them make points that make no sense to me, that's a different story and I just might express my disagreement with it. There's nothing pathetic about that, nobody is trolling here or attacking others for the sake of doing it, there's just people who have a disagreement about a topic that they're passionate about.

I've seen you mention this a few times now. But, honest question, if they would have used John for the 2011 movie, do you honestly believe there wouldn't have been just as many people, if not more, asking "why is Green Lantern black?".

I haven't seen any polls where John wins. I have no doubt that they exist, but I've seen many and Hal has always won, including this one. I've even seen some where John comes in 3rd behind Kyle.
I think you haven't been looking very hard. I've seen Hal win here and one other place that one of his fanboys showed me by a small margin.I've never seen Kyle do better than a distant 3rd(when he should be in 4th IMO). If they'd used John, I think you'd mostly have heard people praising DC for diversity. It would've had nowhere near the bad buzz Hal's film started off with.
John would elevate Sinestro if he was his nemesis? lol While you're at it, why don't you have a movie where John dates Carol Ferris or make Barry Allen John's best friend. Basically, let's turns a white Hal into a black Hal, due to somebody's notion that Jordan is a toxic character just because they personally don't like him.
lol. I hope me thinking Hal is a poor option isn't annoying you. I've ALWAYS thought this. Before I started disliking him, before his film flopped. Check out my old posts from before his movie came out. This was a younger, kinder, gentler brainchild that just knew failure was coming for Hal's film. It seems like you are getting annoyed because you're jumping to conclusions that go against stuff I've already said. I've already said I do NOT want a Black Hal. Race swapping him won't fix him for me. There aren't many black characters out there in the 1st place. We don't need any more annoying ones. It'll only make me more pissed about how John's been treated. I don't want John acting anything like Hal. I've seen some recent John/Sinestro interactions &they were hilarious. They seem to like humiliating each other. They could use Despero, Mongul, etc. I'd be ok w/whoever John fights as long as it's interesting. I don't want John dating Carol. I don't care about her at all. Never have. John/Hawkgirl>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hal/Carol. John bangs alien chicks & I'm fine w/that. lol @the odd things we discuss here. My computer's doing this weak delayed reaction thing when I type here. Starting to piss me off a bit. I'm having to use notepad and then copying & pasting. Don't like putting out that much effort for this stuff. It's not as bad in other topics, but I tend to have to make long posts here. Gonna be taking another break soon.

Last edited:
It seems like you are getting annoyed because you're jumping to conclusions that go against stuff I've already said. I've already said I do NOT want a Black Hal. Race swapping him won't fix him for me. There aren't many black characters out there in the 1st place. We don't need any more annoying ones. It'll only make me more pissed about how John's been treated. I don't want John acting anything like Hal. I've seen some recent John/Sinestro interactions &they were hilarious. They seem to like humiliating each other. They could use Despero, Mongul, etc. I'd be ok w/whoever John fights as long as it's interesting. I don't want John dating Carol. I don't care about her at all. Never have. John/Hawkgirl>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hal/Carol. John bangs alien chicks & I'm fine w/that. lol @the odd things we discuss here. My computer's doing this weak delayed reaction thing when I type here. Starting to piss me off a bit. I'm having to use notepad and then copying & pasting. Don't like putting out that much effort for this stuff. It's not as bad in other topics, but I tend to have to make long posts here. Gonna be taking another break soon.

lol You thinking Hal is a poor option doesn't annoy me, the way you express your views is what tends to be annoying. Hal, like pretty much every other character, is more than capable of being interesting, which he has been both in comics and other media before, as long as the people that write and produce him know what they are doing. We already went over that. I did not say you wanted John to be like Hal, I refuted your claim that Sinestro's status would be elevated if he fights John, just because you consider him to be a more interesting character. Either way, taking portions of Hal's narrative if they go with John seems to be something that they might actually be forced to do, because he has few signature stories, villains or supporting characters. Pretty much every single big player in the GL mythos is either directly or indirectly connected to Jordan, including John. Great, he likes alien babes. Hal seems to do so too, Arisia and Iolande come to mind. So does Kyle who bangs Sinestro's freaking daughter.

I've ALWAYS thought this. Before I started disliking him, before his film flopped. Check out my old posts from before his movie came out. This was a younger, kinder, gentler brainchild that just knew failure was coming for Hal's film.

No offense, I am not inclined to take interest in how you've "always" felt towards Jordan, nor am I compensated enough to care about your supervillain origin story.

Last edited:
Lol. Not liking Hal doesn't make me a villain. This is all entertainment to me, but if the way I express my views on a fictional character annoy you even in the slightest, we should probably end this here. This is nothing compared to what I used to say about Hal. I'm kinda holding my tongue nowadays, but I can't see me becoming any less abrasive than I am now. I thought he was the wrong guy before his movie came out. I honestly can't say I've seen anything since to change that thought

This isn't the comics. So whatever has happened with him (or Hal) in the comics is irrelevant.

But then again GL fandom is one of the most self-destructive around (the X-fandom comes close). It's not enough to have your own favorite. No, they must tear down/take petty shots at the others and their fans. It's really pathetic actually.

Hal, John, Kyle, Guy, etc. They could ALL make a good lead for a film, it just depends on the writing. None is any more "worthy" than the other, end of story.

Unfortunately, this is mostly true...
Great post anyway.

Source material is *always* relevant. The truth about Green Lantern is that it's Hal's universe. Even if he's not specifically a person's favorite GL (as in my case), it's still obvious that everything is built around him. Take Hal out of the equation, and John, Kyle, and Guy lose essential parts of their respective histories. Even the one guy who was Green Lantern before Hal has now become part of Hal's supporting cast.

The best thing that the Green Lantern franchise can do is respect the comics and try to change as little as possible. Much like Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, Hal's a character who is introduced into a large story where these is plenty of past drama and essential parts of the mythos are already in place. Plucking a character like this from its setting instantly diminishes what made the character popular in the first place.

Lol. Not liking Hal doesn't make me a villain. This is all entertainment to me, but if the way I express my views on a fictional character annoy you even in the slightest, we should probably end this here. This is nothing compared to what I used to say about Hal. I'm kinda holding my tongue nowadays, but I can't see me becoming any less abrasive than I am now. I thought he was the wrong guy before his movie came out. I honestly can't say I've seen anything since to change that thought

If you actually took the last part of my comment for real, then we clearly should've ended this long ago. Considering we've been pretty much been going on in circles for awhile now, there's really not much else to say on the matter. You prefer John, I prefer Hal. Awesome. Bye.

Only one problem, there would be no movie if the source material wasn't popular enough to be adapted to the big screen. As Lantern Venom said, the source material is always relevant. Now, the second part has some truth to it, you can make any of these characters relevant if you write a good story and make a good movie, but based on the source material, which they always draw from, seeing as it's what made the character popular enough to make a movie to begin with, Hal Jordan has the most history and storylines to draw from.

Only one problem, there would be no movie if the source material wasn't popular enough to be adapted to the big screen. As Lantern Venom said, the source material is always relevant. Now, the second part has some truth to it, you can make any of these characters relevant if you write a good story and make a good movie, but based on the source material, which they always draw from, seeing as it's what made the character popular enough to make a movie to begin with, Hal Jordan has the most history and storylines to draw from.

Yes, drawing from the source material is important, but it's not about the most stories, it's about what TPTB think will make for the most appealing idea. It's why we're going to have an Ant-Man movie where Pym is an old man and Scott is Ant-Man. That's the idea they thought was most appealing, source material be damned. It's why Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel in the MCU despite only having been Captain Marvel for like...3 years in the comics? TPTB might think that a John Stewart story is more appealing.

That being said, I can't imagine any writer reading Johns' run and not wanting to use it in their script. I do think we'll get Hal and John (and crossing my fingers for Guy).

Last edited:
Oh yeah, just speaking the utter truth.

John has no signature stories, a weak supporting cast, and he has no personal connection to any decent villains.

Who has all of those things in spades? Hal Jordan, the lead character of the GL universe, and the only option to lead a movie.

Can't stand comments like these. by now you should understand the value of source material.

What would Batman Begins be without The Man Who Falls and Batman Year One? Nothing.

Oh yeah, just speaking the utter truth.

John has no signature stories, a weak supporting cast, and he has no personal connection to any decent villains.

Who has all of those things in spades? Hal Jordan, the lead character of the GL universe, and the only option to lead a movie.

That doesn't mean he can't have such a film with those things.

That doesn't mean he can't have such a film with those things.
yeah that makes sense. let's take a character that lacks pretty much everything that makes a great protagonist, instead of using a character that has years upon years of great material to draw from, along with great villains and a great supporting cast.

Obviously studio executives don't care much about that, man. If they want to include Stewart due to his ethnicity or JLU fame, or whatever they see in him, they would do it without caring one bit that he doesn't have a deep lore. I agree that Hal's important place in GL history, as well as his status as the face of the franchise, should not be ignored, but at the end of the day WB doesn't really care about that. They don't care that Hal is the main character in the Green Lantern mythos or that he provides more material. If they feel they can make more money with Stewart, they would go with him. To them it's just business, Hollywood doesn't give a damn about these characters' lore.

yeah that makes sense. let's take a character that lacks pretty much everything that makes a great protagonist, instead of using a character that has years upon years of great material to draw from, along with great villains and a great supporting cast.

If they make a good or great with the character, yeah it makes sense. It would be dumb to just limit these characters to just what they've done in the comics. All these comic-based films show that.

I kinda hope the movie is more along the lines of "Green Lantern Corps."

and there are several Lantern leads. Hal, John and Guy preferably. Save Kyle for a sequel maybe.

But I'd prefer to have John in the Justice League films.

If they make a good or great with the character, yeah it makes sense. It would be dumb to just limit these characters to just what they've done in the comics. All these comic-based films show that.
I honestly just feel like this thread topic is a matter of right and wrong. The answer is so clear to those who have read and know the canon.

John has a place in this DCCU, but as a supporting character to Hal Jordan's lead. Just like the comics.

I honestly just feel like this thread topic is a matter of right and wrong. The answer is so clear to those who have read and know the canon.

John has a place in this DCCU, but as a supporting character to Hal Jordan's lead. Just like the comics.

It's pretentious posts like this (Seriously... "Right and Wrong"? I don't know how you achieve sounding both totally out of touch and un-self aware at the same time but you found the formula. Maybe it's a peanut butter and jelly type thing?) that garner you responses like this:

RvyeI.gif

Well, all your arguments against John hasn't stopped the likes of other characters in the same "situation" from having good or great films. So, same could happen with him if the studio felt like using him. Plus, the Hal had the things you brought up earlier and it didn't exactly work out for him.

If you don't like John, that's fine. You can just leave it at that. Not much need to justify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"