Green Lantern Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
green lantern was just a huge failure. This movie should have been great

The Top 10 films over a weekend are what people typcially look at. Not sure if anyone has seen the last few films of this past weekends Top 20.

Check this ranking:
#18 Green Lantern - WB- $390,000 -71.3% 421 -552 $926 $113,930,000 $200 6
#19 X-Men: First Class - Fox - $335,000 -47.3% 295 -175 $1,136 $144,197,000 $160 8
#20 Thor - Par. $335,000 -13.2% 236 -36 $1,419 $180,128,000 $150 12

If GL has another 40-50% theater loss and 60% drop, heck the drop probably doesn't have to be that bad, both XM:FC and THOR are going to leap frog GL. I mean, crap, now it's hitting 70%+ weekend drops!!!
This train wreck just keeps getting more monumental in the 2011 Fail nominations every week it's out. Thor, out twice as long and it's going to leap frog GL. Amazing. I never would've predicted this type of disaster for GL even when I was hesitant about the film.
Thor had 236 theaters and made $335K (avg of $1,420 per)
- 12 weeks old

Green Lantern has 421 theaters and made $390K (avg of $926 per)
- 6 weeks old

Ouch! Can't believe it's only been 6 weeks for Green Lantern, and yet I don't think it'll even finish close to the lowest projection of $120M the studios are now hoping they could at least get. It'll probably finish around $117M - ish.

I guess all those "Green Lantern movie sees major green!" headlines will never be published now.

The thing is, if they had controlled the budget and kept it around $150, it wouldn't hurt as badly.

If the movie wasn't total sh-- it would have helped too.

This movie is the biggest pile of steaming crap since Batman and Robin in 1997, it deserves to fail.

I think GL's failures can also be attributed to the director they selected for this movie. Even though Martin Campbell is a good action director, he has had no real experience tackling a movie with so many green screen and CGI scenes. Thor picked Kenneth Branagh for his work with actors (and the Shakespeare influence for Thor's relationship with father Odin and brother Loki). X-Men: First Class picked Matt Vaughn for his success with Kick-Ass, who is overdue for a bigger superhero movie. And Capt. America picked Joe Johnson for his work with Rocketeer and expertise with WWII setting. A director's job is very underrated, but he can be the difference between an average or a great film.

I dont blame Campbell.
The studio didnt exactly leave him alone to make his movie.

where are all the green lantern fans at that thought this wasnt going to flop? 115 million is all this is going to make on a 200 million budget!ryan reynolds is ll wrong for hal jordan he should have waited and played wally west flash! josh dummal or chris pine would have made a better hal!

Justice League: Mortal would've been a better bet.

where are all the green lantern fans at that thought this wasnt going to flop? 115 million is all this is going to make on a 200 million budget!ryan reynolds is ll wrong for hal jordan he should have waited and played wally west flash! josh dummal or chris pine would have made a better hal!

I didn't think it was going to flop. Everything was looking good to me until the negative reviews started rolling in.

I dont blame Campbell.
The studio didnt exactly leave him alone to make his movie.

Yup. Seems like t had the same problems as other films when WB tries to hard to make a film by committee. All films are collaborations but you can see the suits having too much input with Green Lantern. It reminded me of Superman Reborn/Lives and some of WB and Jon Peters crazy ideas for that movie only not quite as severe.

I had a bad feeling when some of the reports about certain choices started coming in. Then I saw the early trailers. I always felt Reynolds was miscast and at times it was like I was watching Reynolds play Reynolds instead of Hal Jordan. I had the same fears with Chris Evans as Capt. America but when the first footage began to hit he totally won me over. He changed himself to suit the character not the other way around and I really bought him as Cap. I wish the same had happened with GL. That really applies to the movies as a whole. Marvel and Johnston nailed Caps tone and thats always a good sign with a comic book film.

Green Lantern First Flight and Emerald Knights were really far better representatives of the tone of the Green Lantern character and story.

Last edited:
I really hate it for you GL fans. Such a wasted opportunity. They'll prolly have to let years pass now before trying again unless he makes an appearance in JL ( if THAT film even happens )

I know the daily tracking interest in GL has basically died off. Weekends is where it's at but even that is tapering off as it's run is dying on the vine real quick.

However, the humor of salt in the still open wound continues. I had posted how Thor and/or XM:FC were going to leap frog GL soon after they were ranked right together at #18-20 last weekend.

It took Monday dailies for both films to leap frog GL. No ranking number has yet been assigned but it broke down like this for Monday daily box office figures.

Thor - $58,223 12 weeks+ in release
XM:FC - $55,040 9 weeks+
GL - $51,566 6 weeks+

I really hate it for you GL fans. Such a wasted opportunity. They'll prolly have to let years pass now before trying again unless he makes an appearance in JL ( if THAT film even happens )

Yeah it could have been glorious. I've wanted a good GL film for most of my life. Long time.

As for JL...with WB I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening...for a lot of reasons.

Shame really... but you reap what you sow.

Bad lead actor and questionable choice of director produces awful results.

At least Catwoman was so bad it can be watched for laughs and giggles... Green Lantern is just mind-numbingly forgettable.

Shame really... but you reap what you sow.

Bad lead actor and questionable choice of director produces awful results.

At least Catwoman was so bad it can be watched for laughs and giggles... Green Lantern is just mind-numbingly forgettable.

I'm pretty sure the consensus was that Reynolds did fine with what he was given, and he's not anything close to a bad actor.

Yea, you really can't blame Reynolds for this. But he will be remembered as the face of this failure. Could tarnish him a bit.

He's still got some projects coming up that might be able to polish any tarnishes (though he should have none, still love the movie). The thriller with Denzel, R.I.P.D, The Change-Up looks funny, the animated movie with the snail sounds cute.

He's still got some projects coming up that might be able to polish any tarnishes (though he should have none, still love the movie). The thriller with Denzel, R.I.P.D, The Change-Up looks funny, the animated movie with the snail sounds cute.

I think it could go either way but I think his career won't go any further at this point. Unless RIPD and Safe House can save it. But I think Ryan has some baggage because he's been trying to be the leading man for the past decade and it never took off.

And I'll admit...I feel like Bradley Cooper's career is taking off more
smoothly as of right now, despite having the same career path as Ryan.

I feel that Reynolds will always have a decent career in at least comedy. People like him

Cooper's career is going pretty well. I mean just about every major role I hear his name rumored for.

I wonder how Cap will effect Evans's career

I didn't think Reynolds was bad per se but I felt like he wasn't quite right either. If anything I kind of wish Bradley Cooper had gotten the part. Seems more like a rugged hot shot ace flyboy. Watching him in the A-Team he did a fair job doing both military man confidence and wiseass if thats what the movie was going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"