• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Green Lantern Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

Don't forget WB licensed Superman to Canon for a decade or so.

If WB isn't going to use the properties why not? If one of the studios creates a hit then WB can learn from that and maybe use the same folks involved with the hit film to launch another in-house WB super-hero project.

And that turned out great.

I'm not so sure about that, I think its the easy way out to lay the blame at WBs feet when it seemed like a very collaborative production. If anything it sounds as if they just didn't have enough money to truly do what they wanted to. I think in this movies case the blame can be spread around very evenly.

I think it's squarely on them, they misjudged everything, from the director to the time needed to complete the effects to the ridiculous comparisons to Star Wars to assuming people would simply turn up if they promoted it enough. This entire project was mismanaged from day one because they looked at IM as a formula for success but didn't take into account what made it a success, and the answer is behind the scenes, that those involved with IM had a genuine affection for what they were working on and wanted to make the best damn movie possible. You've got to ask the question, did anyone involved genuinely care that they were working on a GL movie? At some point they just gave up and just tried to salvage what they had.

Last edited:
They didn't need to look at Iron Man's success. They should've looked at what made Batman Begins and the Harry Potter movies successful behind the scenes. It's not like they didn't have good examples in their own studio.

They didn't have to, but they did. What IM did do was give them confidence to try their hand at a second tier character, unfortunately they didn't go about it the right way.

They didn't have to, but they did. What IM did do was give them confidence to try their hand at a second tier character, unfortunately they didn't go about it the right way.

well let's hope that they learned their lesson and keep trying, because that would be a shame not to give the spotlight to other DC characters, and another shot at Green Lantern

Based on the article posted the other day on the SHH news section, it doesn't appear that WB has any super-hero films planned for the immediate future.

So it could be 5 or more years before they give it another shot. Aside from re-booting Batman after TDKR - I'm not sure how quickly WB wants to turn that one around. In any case, a re-booted Batman is probably the only superhero film WB puts out in less than 5 years.

As for GL, if the studio is put off by the franchise right now, why not license GL for a decade to another studio? WB would get a small income stream and might learn something from another studio doing one of their DC characters.

LOL Why you don't accept the FACT that they are investing hard on Superman, dear Lexlives? :whatever:
Plus I still have to see WB ready to leave their sh franchises after a quite sure success of "The Avengers". Please don't offend your and our intelligence selling your wishes as facts.

Last edited:
Wow. Yesterday GL made only $179,481.

For comparison, at that point after it's release Thor made $510,429.

Green Lantern is a tremendous financial failure.

I'm guessing this movie is done domestically?

Is it even going to reach 115 million?

Wow. Yesterday GL made only $179,481.

For comparison, at that point after it's release Thor made $510,429.

Green Lantern is a tremendous financial failure.

Never would have thought that I'd see the day where a comic book film would flop more worse than B&R did, and even that film, for all of its camp worth, was more successful in the box office I believe.lol

Never would have thought that I'd see the day where a comic book film would flop more worse than B&R did, and even that film, for all of its camp worth, was more successful in the box office I believe.lol

B&R was successful... it ended up making a profit which is looking very unlikely for Green Lantern.

Not to mention there has been alot of movies less successful than B&R in the past few years.

If your going to be bad you may as well be B&R bad... Green Lantern has already been forgotten.

Last edited:
The Aussie box office will save it! After all Reynols is coming down for the premier, so that means it'll make $100 million easily plus another $50 million in merchandise. :hehe:

The Aussie box office will save it! After all Reynols is coming down for the premier, so that means it'll make $100 million easily plus another $50 million in merchandise. :hehe:
Will the GL boxoffice defenders ever give up the ghost on this film?

I just looked at the Theater Count for the weekend and this is GL's third straight drop of over 50% of it's screens.
Let me put it this way, it now only has a 126 theater/screen advantage to XM:FC which opened 3 weeks before it. At it's current rate it will be out of theaters before XM:FC.
I bet XMen earns more than GL this week actually.

You've got to ask the question, did anyone involved genuinely care that they were working on a GL movie? At some point they just gave up and just tried to salvage what they had.
I think many people care about the material. The script, while not great, was certainly faithful. The art direction was good.
I think the main problem were on the production side. They relied too much on VisualFx for thing that could have been made practical or mixed techniques (the costumes, the aliens) saving money and time. Having problems with their timeline and budget they had to chop sequences from the movie.
Warner Bros. is a bigger company than Marvel, with probably too many people, too many executives, trying to have their unnecessary input on the material.

Looks like Lantern was a huge disappointment. Wonder what this does for a sequel as well as other DC properties that can't get off the ground.

Looks like Lantern was a huge disappointment. Wonder what this does for a sequel as well as other DC properties that can't get off the ground.

zohmvt.jpg

Which would happen first (if it were possible)?

---

Green Lantern ($111.4M) surpassing Ghost Rider ($115.8M) - just $4.4M short.

Or

Thor ($179.1M) surpassing Wolverine ($179.8M) - just $760K short.

---

Not sure how much screens Thor would loose today.
Well... update:

Thor is now at $180.1M, while Green Lantern is still at $113.9M.

The Top 10 films over a weekend are what people typcially look at. Not sure if anyone has seen the last few films of this past weekends Top 20.

Check this ranking:
#18 Green Lantern - WB- $390,000 -71.3% 421 -552 $926 $113,930,000 $200 6
#19 X-Men: First Class - Fox - $335,000 -47.3% 295 -175 $1,136 $144,197,000 $160 8
#20 Thor - Par. $335,000 -13.2% 236 -36 $1,419 $180,128,000 $150 12

If GL has another 40-50% theater loss and 60% drop, heck the drop probably doesn't have to be that bad, both XM:FC and THOR are going to leap frog GL. I mean, crap, now it's hitting 70%+ weekend drops!!!
This train wreck just keeps getting more monumental in the 2011 Fail nominations every week it's out. Thor, out twice as long and it's going to leap frog GL. Amazing. I never would've predicted this type of disaster for GL even when I was hesitant about the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"