• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Supergirl Which version of Superman do you think this Supergirl would be linked to?

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
Over the past ten months or so, we've seen a great deal of photos, teasers, and promotional material which will lead up to the October 26 premiere.

With everything we've seen so far, I have an interesting question for you folks:

To which previous live-action incarnation of Superman over the past 20 years do you believe Melissa Benoist's Supergirl would be linked? Here are your choices, and I will add an "Other" option:

- Dean Cain (Lois & Clark)
- Tom Welling (Smallville)
- Brandon Routh (Superman Returns)
- Henry Cavill (Man of Steel)
- Christopher Reeve (Superman I, II, and III)
- More than one incarnation
- Other
- None of the above

Note:
No bashing others, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
To which previous live-action incarnation of Superman over the past 20 years do you believe Melissa Benoist's Supergirl would be linked?

The producers said the tone will be closer to Christopher Reeve's Superman:

The show’s tone is meant to evoke the Christopher Reeve-starring Superman films directed by Richard Donner.

“I grew up worshipping the Donner films, their magic, their wonder, their joy and their fun,” said Supergirl executive producer Greg Berlanti (Everwood). “Our real hope was bringing just a smidgen of that magic those films have.”

And while the shadow of Superman looms in Supergirl, executive producers said he won’t visit this series.

“He will be a factor in her life, but you won’t see him exactly on screen,” said DC Entertainment chief content officer Geoff Johns. “He does play a part in her evolution of becoming a superhero.”

http://www.timescolonist.com/entert...irl-evokes-reeve-era-superman-films-1.2038478

This name-dropping but never showing Superman is a mistake, is going to get old fast, and when global threats show up and he's not around, people will ask why Superman doesn't help Kara... it would've been better to establish this show after Superman died fighting Doomsday or something, with Supergirl now being Earth's main protector, etc. Changing Jimmy's personality was another unnecessary idea, even Smallville had a better Jimmy. Is a shame Berlanti & co, despite being fans, lack some common sense: they wrote the terrible Green Lantern movie, ruined several characters on Arrow, bad writing and plot holes, etc.

Donner's Superman definitely. Peter Roth even said that after seeing Melissa's Audition it was the first time that anyone since Christopher Reeve had given him that same feeling of hope. He got that feeling when he watched her audition. That is pretty high praise...

Donner's Superman definitely. Peter Roth even said that after seeing Melissa's Audition it was the first time that anyone since Christopher Reeve had given him that same feeling of hope. He got that feeling when he watched her audition. That is pretty high praise...

I hadn't really thought of that. I thought the Donnerverse had their own version of Supergirl in Helen Slater (even if Marc McClure was the only actor from the Donner films to appear in that movie as well).

Thanks for adding that option.

Honestly, the only correct answer to this question is "None" (since it's an entirely new interpretation of pretty much every aspect of the "Super"-verse), although it has, as been noted, revealed that the approach they're taking for the series is evocative of both the Donner-verse films AND Lois and Clark.

Honestly, the only correct answer to this question is "None" (since it's an entirely new interpretation of pretty much every aspect of the "Super"-verse), although it has, as been noted, revealed that the approach they're taking for the series is evocative of both the Donner-verse films AND Lois and Clark.

True... :yay:

Helen Slater's Supergirl was in the same universe as Christopher Reeve's Superman (so, we had an extended cinematic universe back then)

Smallville had it's own version of Supergirl, so I would say this particular version of Supergirl looks more likely to exist in Superman Returns universe, if we had a sequel to SR having more mature Routh in SR 2.

The producers said the tone will be closer to Christopher Reeve's Superman:

This name-dropping but never showing Superman is a mistake, is going to get old fast, and when global threats show up and he's not around, people will ask why Superman doesn't help Kara... it would've been better to establish this show after Superman died fighting Doomsday or something, with Supergirl now being Earth's main protector, etc. Changing Jimmy's personality was another unnecessary idea, even Smallville had a better Jimmy. Is a shame Berlanti & co, despite being fans, lack some common sense: they wrote the terrible Green Lantern movie, ruined several characters on Arrow, bad writing and plot holes, etc.

I love this plot idea. That would have really worked well to establish Supergirl as a legitimate character instead of just a female version of Superman.

Bingo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"