Who should have a standalone movie?

lee1983dixon

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

First thread i've started, probably been done before but i'm always interested in hearing what other people think.

So who would everyone truly love to see in their own personal outing within the Marvel universe?

Although I appreciate people are anticipating the upcoming announced films/TV shows in Phase 2 and 3 for MCU, plus Fox and Sony's future iterations, i'm looking for different characters - I know there seems to be a lot of love for Namor on this forum!

Anyway, let me know your thoughts everyone! My vote goes to the Surfer, in all his Cosmic brilliance :woot:

If anyone wants to re-create this thread as a poll, be my guest - i'm new here and am not sure how to do it!!

Welcome to the Hype, bro!

Character I'd most like to see on a personal outing:
The Black Panther, T'Challa, King of Wakanda
Clever, Resourceful, Brilliant, Agile, Proud, Stealthy, lots of fun in a fight.

Other Characters I think should have solo outings:
Captain Marvel
Black Widow
The Wasp
War Machine
Spectrum
She-Hulk
Valkyrie
Namor
Arachne
Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch
Crystal & The Inhumans
Nova
New Warriors
Blue Marvel
The Squadron Supreme
Starbrand

X-Men Origins: Storm
X-Men Origins: Cyclops
X-Men Origins: Jean Grey

Venom
Superior Spider-Man
Ultimate Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2099

I want to add a couple of names to Dr Cosmics great list:

Dr. Druid
Tigra
Monica Rambeau
Wonder Man
Moon Knight
Black Knight
Two Gun Kid

Nova
Deadpool
Iron Fist
Agent Venom
Spider-Man 2099
Punisher Max starring Clint Eastwood

It depends on what you mean by "stand alone". If you mean "not a part of the MCU", I would say "nobody whatsoever."

If you mean "not particularly connected to the general Avengers milieu". . . hmm. The problem is, most of the potential candidates I can think of would end up connecting to *something*. A Nightstalkers movie/TV show would connect to Dr Strange, and to any succeeding supernatural shows, for example.

What I mean is a film about a particular character that could otherwise be considered part of an ensemble already existing, like the Avengers (Black Widow?) or as has been touted and desired ever since Spider-Man 3's shoddy treatment, a Venom film perhaps?

Something like that, some great ones up to now. I'm looking at Captain Marvel (not Ms Danvers I assume?), Nova, Wonder Man (wow), Moon Knight, would love to see that Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch as an origins, shame there's no Magneto in MCU, would have to be Fox for that one. Black Panther I think has been mentioned for a possible Phase 3 or beyond? Iron Fist TV show? Or is that just Luke Cage?

I really wish I did a poll now!!

I'm going to try to stay within MCU possibilities here on the wish list:

Black Panther
, Captain Britain, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Ms Marvel (Carol) would all be great properties for MCU to launch in their own title roles.

Some other characters that I can't wait to see but would be OK if they were introduced in another character's movie (a la Black Widow and War Machine in IM2):

:woot: She-Hulk (in a Hulk sequel and played by Anna Faris)
Valkyrie
(in Thor sequel)
Spider-Woman
(in Black Widow movie, or Iron Man / Cap America sequel)
Union Jack
Spitfire
(The Original) Human Torch android
Moon Knight
Nova
Firestar
Mockingbird
Hellcat
Silver Sable (despite possible Spider-Man rights issues)
Team - Alpha Flight (yes, I understand the heavy X-men connections)
Team - Excalibur (see above)
Beast (Dear Marvel gods, please let him become shared property, Amen.)

EDIT (added): Cloak & Dagger (always goes great with a little Strange-ness)

Last edited:
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Black Widow
She-Hulk
Hawkguy
Nova
Inhumans
Namor
Moon Knight
Cloak and Dagger

So glad to see Black Panther and Nova getting some love!

Personally, Silver Surfer origin, complete with Galactus and all the power cosmic... for this reason I truly wish F4 was back in the MCU (I know that there's an entire other thread for this argument, so i'll leave that there!).

I'd love GOTG to link in to Adam Warlock somehow, then give him his own film, maybe post-Thanos and
the Infinity Gauntlet
if/when that transpires?

I'd like to see the Watcher turn up somewhere... kind of hard to play out though with the whole 'non-communication' thing, maybe in the aforementioned Silver Surfer film? I know that's what happened in the old cartoon :woot:

I would love a Hawkeye TV show, wish they hadn't have used Renner. He's a hollywood star (how?) so probably wouldn't do a TV series, and I think had they have gotten themselves a fresh new young and rising star, with a bit more range to him, they could have pulled off a fantastic show with all the action, adventure and pure comedy that the old Hawkeye could bring! May have even been a better option than Agents Of Shield to be honest, as those characters could have been integrated into Hawkeye's adventures in assisting him. He is, in essence, a SHIELD agent himself. Am sure Romanov wouldn't have minded popping up for a special appearance... Shame.

Deadpool
Runaways
X-Force
Silver Surfer
Black Cat
Gambit
Venom
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Nova
Inhumans
Ms Marvel
Dr Strange
Black Panther

Last edited:
G'day,

How about Black Widow with Hawkeye and Mockingbird as supporting characters? Followed by Hawkeye & mockingbird with may be Kate Bishop?

How about Black Widow with Hawkeye and Mockingbird as supporting characters? Followed by Hawkeye & mockingbird with may be Kate Bishop?

This does sound good, again restricted due to casting now, and I do like Scarlett as the Widow (call me shallow, I don't care!), but yeah they could have brought all three through in the Phase 1 films - Widow/Iron Man, Hawkeye/Hulk, Mockingbird/Cap would have been my pairings. Then as part of Phase 1 they could have had a one shot of the three of them together. Oh, to have a time machine... and be Kevin Feige's best friend ha ha!

G'day,

I thought this up when they mentioned the possibility of a Black Widow movie a couple of months ago. My idea at the time would be to introduce Bobbi Morse in Agents of Shield then pop her as as supporting Character in Black Widow movie. Dramatically you get a love triangle sub plot but of course its Bobbi who get Clint not Natasha.

Assuming the movie worked spin the next movie into a Hawkeye & Mockingbird flick.

tumblr_mkj7t9lVg61rwoljao1_1280.png

This does sound good, again restricted due to casting now, and I do like Scarlett as the Widow (call me shallow, I don't care!), but yeah they could have brought all three through in the Phase 1 films - Widow/Iron Man, Hawkeye/Hulk, Mockingbird/Cap would have been my pairings. Then as part of Phase 1 they could have had a one shot of the three of them together. Oh, to have a time machine... and be Kevin Feige's best friend ha ha!

Sadly I think any Black Widow film they do could just be an origin story. They focused on 'Budapest' and the Widow's past so much I think that's where they will go with it.

I love your idea though, really cool. I think Agents Of Shield should be opening the doors to a raft (mind the pun...) of characters really. Could easily incorporate a visit to Wakanda in there somewhere. They need to establish some of the more 'normal' superheroes into the TV series, those not requiring multi-millions of SFX - I literally cannot believe it was ever hinted or thought that the Hulk would appear on TV! - someone like Falcon would have been cool, but again, they've gone Hollywood and cast Anthony Mackie there too :(

That said, I'm looking forward to these Netflix Marvel outings, they could correct this big time there!

G'day,

Yeah, Natasha's past is more then just Budapest. At least in the comics. She is supposed to been around for decades , born in 1928 I think. Her saying she was born in 1982 in Winter Soldier could just have been her super spy cover. Apparently her longevity was due to some Soviet era enhancements. Theres plenty of story potential there. What about if her past caught up with her? Think of a action packed espionage thriller a bit like Angelina Joelle's "Salt".
Throw in Clint and Bobbi as support characters and a really good villain (bring the Red Skull back I say!) and you really have something.

Anyway, the Black Widow movie was just a rumor, Ms Johansson is starting a family so I wouldn't expect any such movie announced soon.

ta

Ralph

Sadly I think any Black Widow film they do could just be an origin story. They focused on 'Budapest' and the Widow's past so much I think that's where they will go with it.

I love your idea though, really cool. I think Agents Of Shield should be opening the doors to a raft (mind the pun...) of characters really. Could easily incorporate a visit to Wakanda in there somewhere. They need to establish some of the more 'normal' superheroes into the TV series, those not requiring multi-millions of SFX - I literally cannot believe it was ever hinted or thought that the Hulk would appear on TV! - someone like Falcon would have been cool, but again, they've gone Hollywood and cast Anthony Mackie there too :(

That said, I'm looking forward to these Netflix Marvel outings, they could correct this big time there!

Alpha Flight
Ant-Man
Avengers
Big Hero 6
Black Panther
Black Widow
Blade
Cable
Luke Cage
Captain America
Captain Britain
Captain Marvel
Cloak and Dagger
Daredevil
Darkhawk
Dazzler
Death's Head
Deadpool
Deathlok
Death's Head
Defenders
Devil Dinosaur
Doctor Strange
Elektra
Eternals
Excalibur
Exiles
Fantastic 4
Nick Fury
Gambit
Ghost Rider
Guardians of the Galaxy
Hawkeye
Hercules
Heroes For Hire
Howard the Duck
Hulk
Human Torch
Infinity Watch
Inhumans
Invaders
Iron Fist
Iron Man
Ka-Zar
Man-Thing
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Namor: The Sub-Mariner
New Warriors
Nightstalkers
Nova
Omega (the Unknown)
Power Pack
Punisher
Quasar
Runaways
Sentry
Shang- Chi
Shanna The She-Devil
She-Hulk
Silver Sable
Silver Surfer
Slapstick
Sleepwalker
Space Knights
Spider-Man
Spider-Woman
Squadron Supreme
Squirrel Girl
Thing
Thor
Thunderbolts
Adam Warlock
Werewolf by Night
X-Factor
X-Force
X-Men

Every filmable Marvel property I could think up. I'm sure there's more.

I'd like to see a Hawkeye movie but following the storyline from the V4 comics.
I also wouldn't mind seeing a Black Widow origins, I hear they're working on that already. Her story seems interesting as well.

In light of DC's announcements over the last couple of days, does anyone think similar team-ups (like The Flash/Green Lantern one planned) is a route that Marvel could/should have gone down?

I can't get past Hawkeye and Hulk. It gives a human edge to the Hulk when Banner isn't on screen, gives a currently 'unpopular' (in the sense of the films anyway) character a chance to have an actual storyline rather than sitting in a 'nest' or becoming a zombie, and I just think it gives balance to what I believe are the downfalls of Hulk as a standalone - Banner is brilliant and interesting, Hulk is brute force, not a lot of people like the mixture and prefer one element or the other - and I just think from a comedic sense the two of them could pull off something truly awesome!

Or as mentioned earlier, Hawkeye/Widow/Mockingbird team ups, or anyone else (Like Cage/Iron Fist leaps out!). What does everyone think?! Opportunity knocks or opportunity lost...?

G'day,

How about a couple more girl avengers? Specifically Spider- woman and Tigra. I would streamline Tigra origin story, rather having some Hydra scientist make the Cat first then bring in the magical Cat People we get Tigra first up. Just forget about the Cat People. While Shield Agents are investigating the Tigra mystery they are attacked by Spider-Woman, another Hydra hybrid. There brain washing is eventually removed and they become good girls.

tigra_of_the_avengers_initative_by_geektruth64-d54up83.jpg

spider_woman_of_the_avengers_initiative_by_geektruth64-d62fam1.jpg

Ralph

In light of DC's announcements over the last couple of days, does anyone think similar team-ups (like The Flash/Green Lantern one planned) is a route that Marvel could/should have gone down?

I can't get past Hawkeye and Hulk. It gives a human edge to the Hulk when Banner isn't on screen, gives a currently 'unpopular' (in the sense of the films anyway) character a chance to have an actual storyline rather than sitting in a 'nest' or becoming a zombie, and I just think it gives balance to what I believe are the downfalls of Hulk as a standalone - Banner is brilliant and interesting, Hulk is brute force, not a lot of people like the mixture and prefer one element or the other - and I just think from a comedic sense the two of them could pull off something truly awesome!

Or as mentioned earlier, Hawkeye/Widow/Mockingbird team ups, or anyone else (Like Cage/Iron Fist leaps out!). What does everyone think?! Opportunity knocks or opportunity lost...?

Someone really wants some more female characters in the MCU it seems ;)

My top picks would be Ms Marvel and I do agree with Mockinbird as it develops Hawkeye greatly having her on board.

I think of all of the females available to Marvel, Carol Danvers would be the best to develop into their first female lead. You get the balance of the complexities around the alien interactions (with Captain Maverl/Mar-Vell) and cosmic powers to her having been a normal everyday soldier.

From the human developing and establishing such power to becoming the ultimate leader of the Avengers... she has to be the one. They'll use Scarlett, do the whole Black Widow thing, but they shouldn't.

I like that art, very cool. Would like to see Spider-Woman appear at some point, but always thought myself she would end up a bit-part character when the likes of Widow and Scarlett Witch are already involved, and as I say I think Ms Marvel is the way to go forward.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else?

G'day,
Absolutely! There are only really two female characters that can hold their own movie, Captain Marvel or Black Widow. Natasha already has had considerable screen presence and Carol is a popular character with a good fan base. I wouldn't be surprised if a Captain Marvel movie is announced after Guardians of The Galaxy assuming that's a success. They really need that movie to establish the more science fictional space elements of the Marvel Universe including the Kree/Skrull wars.

ta

Ralph

10438338_656649114415782_6697009153695668987_n.png

Someone really wants some more female characters in the MCU it seems ;)

My top picks would be Ms Marvel and I do agree with Mockinbird as it develops Hawkeye greatly having her on board.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else?

In no specific order:

ROM
Captain (Ms.) Marvel
Moon Knight
Cloak and Dagger

Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Moon Knight
Mighty Avengers (current incarnation)
Namor
Iron Patriot/War Machine (maybe if they had done a better job setting up Don Cheadle)
Nova

Spider-Woman {Jessica Drew}
Black Widow
Ms. Marvel
Dracula
Werewolf by Night

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads