Fox vs. Sony - who is worse?

Congrats? Your prize is a crappy FF movie, no FF comics, no FF or X-men promotion, merchandise, or cartoons, and desperate attempts at making the Inhumans happen.

As well as the best superhero series ever (Daredevil), and if Fox gives up the FF rights now, the possibility of seeing Kang and Doctor Doom in the MCU. Also, the joy of watching millions slip out of Fox's pockets is always nice.

I don't begrudge Fox for making movies with the rights to licenses that they bought and paid for.

I do begrudge them for not making GOOD Fantastic Four movies though. I will happily begrudge them for that. And I am very happy that FFINO bombed because Fox got what it deserved for not making a real Fantastic Four movie that respected it's source material. It didn't have to be that way though. But Fox made it that way.

This.

Fox has done a great job in recent years people. Look at the Fall lineup. The Revenant looks fantastic, and Leo could take it this year. It's a fantastic premise. Then you have what looks like the Fall sci-fi behemoth with The Martian. Of course Ridley Scott has been very miss as of late, but it looks awesome. Those are my two most anticipated movies besides Episode VII. I really think Fox just needs to brush this FF under the rug and wash their hands clean of it, but by in large, they've turned it around. Deadpool and Apocalypse seem to continue the positive trend going into next year.

Fox has only like 2 movies that grossed over $200 million since Avatar 6 years ago.

The Revenant is being released a week after Episode VII. A week later it probably would have done better.

And you forgot Spectre which I'd put before the Martian.

Spectre is Sony though? But yeah, looks good, and I'm a kinda sorta Bond guy, but I prefer sci-fi.

Fox has only like 2 movies that grossed over $200 million since Avatar 6 years ago.

The Revenant is being released a week after Episode VII. A week later it probably would have done better.

And you forgot Spectre which I'd put before the Martian.

The Revenant isn't exactly going for the same crowd. It's a prestige art western from the director of Birdman and Biutiful. It also is in limited release (NYC, LA, maybe Chicago, San Francisco, and DC too) on Christmas. It opens wide in January like so many other Christmas Day speciality movies, including Fox's Joy (the new biopic from David O. Russell and Jennifer Lawrence's ongoing collaboration) and The Hateful Eight, the Tarantino western. All of them go wider in January.

Honestly, I am looking forward to all three of those movies quite a bit more than the fall blockbusters (save for Spectre), but yes none of them are competing with Star Wars to make a billion.

In any case, yes Fox needs more blockbusters besides X-Men. A fact they are keenly aware of...as they ramp up X-Men film production. Oh, the irony.

Spectre is Sony though? But yeah, looks good, and I'm a kinda sorta Bond guy, but I prefer sci-fi.

I think it seems that Fox goes more for the $150 million grossing movies and in quantity then bigger blockbusters.

I think he's referring to Daredevil and Blade.

Fox has never had the Blade rights in their hands. It was with New Line which got bought out by Warner Brothers. Yes, weird as it sounds, WB had their hands on a Marvel character for a short period of time(2008-2011). Of course now he's back at Marvel. But WB still has the rights to that old trilogy.

Last edited:
Stacey Snider to Succeed Jim Gianopulos as Top 20th Century Fox Executive
Gianopulos will be elevated to "a new strategic role" with the company.
Kim Masters said:
Stacey Snider will take over for Jim Gianopulos as the top film executive at 20th Century Fox.

The studio on Thursday officially confirmed the moves, but the transition will take a year before it is formerly completed. The studio announced that Gianopulos, whoserves as chairman and CEO of Twentieth Century Fox Film, will step down from his post at the end of his current contract on June 30, 2017, with Snider, co-chairman of the studio, taking over his responsibilities as studio chairman and CEO.

Gianopulos, the announcement said, will stay with Fox after the end of his contract in what it described as "a new strategic role," reporting to Lachlan and James Murdoch, 21st Century Fox's executive chairman and CEO, respectively. “I’m looking forward to this final year of an amazing 25-year journey at the studio, and to exciting new adventures," Gianopulos said in the statement.

The move, according to sources, is considered a slight toward Gianopulos and production president Emma Watts, who have guided the studio ably since Tom Rothman was ousted in 2012, overseeing such hits as the Planet of the Apes and X-Men franchises as well as the February smash Deadpool.

The shake-up caught many in the industry by surprise, including the heads of rival companies and some with close ties to Fox, who believed that Gianopulos and Watts were secure based on their performance. One such filmmaker called the moves "baffling" and "disappointing."

When she originally joined Fox as co-chairman in late 2014, Snider was charged with overseeing all production and development for Fox, Fox Animation/Blue Sky Studios, Fox International Productions and Fox Searchlight, while the Fox 2000 label, headed by Elizabeth Gabler, continued to report to Gianopulos. Gianopulos and Snider were given joint oversight of the studio's global marketing and distribution efforts. But since her arrival 18 months ago, Snider had difficulty carving out a role for herself amid the studio's existing power structure. That has left some wondering what a Snider administration might look like, given that she has not yet put her imprint on Fox. Said one source close to the studio, "Other people, I could anticipate. But in this case, it's a blank canvas. A lot of people are going to give voice to the idea that this is unfair."

Snider came to Fox — at the urging of 21st Century Fox co-chairman Rupert Murdoch — from DreamWorks, which she ran with Steven Spielberg from 2006 to 2014 until it encountered money trouble. She oversaw such films as Lincoln, The Help and Tropic Thunder as the company moved first to Paramount and then to Disney. Prior to her stint at DreamWorks, Snider served as chairman of Universal Pictures from 1999 to 2006, helping to launch such franchises as Fast and Furious, Bourne and Meet the Parents. Her Universal slate also included Erin Brockovich, A Beautiful Mind, Seabiscuit and Ray.

Gianopulos, who rose through Fox's international distribution ranks, served as co-chair of Fox Filmed Entertainment, alongside Rothman, from 2000 to 2012, at which point he became the sole chairman.

In announcing the executive changes, the Murdoch brothers said in a statement, "Jim has played an integral role in growing our global film business into the powerhouse it is today. We've benefited tremendously from his creative insights, his vast knowledge of international markets, and from is unique understanding of the technologies shaping the future. We look forward to continuing to work with Jim in a new strategic capacity after the close of his current contract."

Rupert Murdoch described Gianopulos as "a close confidante" and praised him for such films as Titanic, Avatar and Deadpool. He also said that he has "the utmost confidence in the future of the studio under Stacey's leadership."

Acknowledging that "succession planning is hard, and in a creative enterprise like Twentieth Century Fox, we are very cognizant how tricky this can be," Lachlan and James Murdoch expressed confidence in Snider, who they are putting in charge of the studio, while also taking the occasion to cite such other executives on the Fox team as 20th Century Fox production president Emma Watts, Gabler, Steve Gilula and Nancy Utley of Fox Searchlight, animation head Vanessa Morrison and international productions head Tomas Jegeus.

While studios usually trade in top execs in the wake of box-office failures, that isn't the case this time around. For the current year, Fox ranks second only to Disney in terms of domestic box-office market share and has fielded such hits as Deadpool, which has grossed $775.7 million globally, and X-Men: Apocalypse, which currently stands at $483.6 million worldwide, while also releasing DreamWorks Animation's Kung Fu Panda 3, which has taken in $518.5 million.

Fox's Film Studio Politics at Play in Top Executive Shake-up
Stacey Snider takes the top job as 21st Century Fox leaders James and Lachlan Murdoch usher in a new era at the studio with a succession plan announced to quash chatter about Snider's lack of a defined role

Sony Pictures Shakeup: Doug Belgrad to Step Down as Film President (Exclusive)
The longtime studio executive has been with Sony since 1989.
Kim Masters and Gregg Kilday said:
Doug Belgrad is stepping down as president of the Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Belgrad, who has held the No. 2 post in the studio's film group since 2014, was considered a top candidate to succeed Amy Pascal when she gave up her role as chairman in 2015. But Sony Pictures Entertainment chairman Michael Lynton instead put former 20th Century Fox chief Tom Rothman in charge of the studio’s film operations as its motion picture group chairman. Belgrad, having played a role in setting up the studio's 2016 and 2017 slates, likely will now segue into a producing deal with the studio sometime after the release of Ghostbusters in July.

The news comes a day after Sony's top television executive Steve Mosko agreed to step down from his post after a nearly 24-year run at the studio. A rep for Sony declined to comment.

Another longtime Sony veteran, Belgrad joined the studio's Columbia Pictures executive training program in 1989 and worked his way up the ranks, becoming co-president of production at Columbia in 2003 and president of the label in 2008. Seen as Pascal's loyal lieutenant, he was put in charge of all the studio's production labels, including Columbia, TriStar, Screen Gems and Affirm, when he was named president of the motion picture group in July 2014.

Since Sony's last breakout release, 2015's James Bond adventure Spectre, which grossed $880 million worldwide, the studio has had to endure a string of disappointments. Its December Oscar hopeful Concussion was shut out of the Academy Awards and grossed just $49 million worldwide. More recently, Screen Gems' Pride and Prejudice and Zombies scared up just $16 million worldwide, while the Sacha Baron Cohen comedy The Brothers Grimsby debuted March 11 to an opening weekend of a paltry $3.3 million.

However, the studio is betting on a change of fortune with the animated The Angry Birds Movie, which has grossed $75 million domestic since debuting May 20, the new Ghostbusters (opening July 15) and Inferno, the latest Dan Brown novel adaptation starring Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard (bowing Oct. 28).

sony and disney have been on good terms for a while. long before the deal was made.

remember back in 2012, the oscorp tower was supposed to be in avengers.

Sony is done as a major film contender. You can't have two characters essentially carry the entire studio. Maybe the MIB/22 cross over will be their salvation though, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Sell off the film division to Apple or Google and focus on competing against them and Samsung in the product line.

Two? Spider-Man and...?

Sony doesn't actually have Bond. They were only the distributor, and the contract is up anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"