Would You Rather Sony Lose The Rights To Spider-Man Or Keep Them?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Even though Spidey is the in the MCU, do you still want Sony to lose the rights to Disney or keep them?

After the purchase of Fox by Disney, Marvel has the film rights to nearly all their characters with the exception of one; they’re biggest character Spider-Man, which is still with Sony for now. Sony is the only non-Disney entity that has the rights to make movies off of Marvel characters and their track record compared to how other studios have handled their superhero properties isn’t too bad.

Even though they’ve made some divisive movies like AMS2 and Spider-Man 3, before Marvel Studios even existed the way it does, they made Spider-Man 1 & 2 which I argue is as good, and or even better than most MCU films. Not to mention since the MCU deal, Sony has made ITSV which many would argue is one of the best superhero movies of all time and far superior to any Spidey film Marvel has made. On the other hand, Sony is doing spin-offs like Morbius and Kraven that really don’t need to be made at all. So would you rather Sony lose the Spider-Man rights or keep them? I can see upsides and downsides to either option. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Lose the rights, as I don’t really trust Sony on their own anymore.

I'm predicting this thread will be a landslide for Disney getting the rights back but I prefer Sony keeps them

Lose the rights, to streamline the Marvel movies coming out. With almost every Marvel ip introduced in the mcu - solo movies for Morbius, Venom and Kraven that don't feel belong in the mcu just feel eXtraneous to me.

I'm predicting this thread will be a landslide for Disney getting the rights back but I prefer Sony keeps them

I actually prefer Sony keeps the rights... for now at least.

I feel a character like Spiderman, Batman, and Superman, need to be redone and rebooted for each new generation , and that there needs to be a clean slate for each new telling of the Parker legend.

I tend to think with an exclusively owned Disney/ MCU Spiderman, it would basically be the same Holland version of the character going on and on for years to come, and while that may work for Thor, I'd like to see a different version of the of The Spiderman/ Peter Parker myths after Holland is done with the part.

I'd like to see a clean slate, and with Sony, that's what I feel we would get.

If Marvel Disney were willing to do that , i.e. start a new or tell new stories which aren't bound to the MCU continuity, I'd be fine with them keeping the Spiderman rights.

If not, I'd prefer Sony just keeps the rights and eventually tell a new take on the legend that isn't bound to the infinity saga, The MCU, and a decades long continuity.

But that's just me ,and that's how I feel about Spiderman as opposed to some other MCU characters.

The only thing keeping Spider-Man fresh imo is its rogues gallery. They are already doing the Avenger team up, multiverse, sinister siX and Spidey-people (well in animation). I just don't see what Sony can bring fresh to the table when they reboot Peter Parker in the movies in the 2030s and 2040s.

Also, the solo movies for Morbius, Venom and Kraven are eXcess baggage. They feel irrelevant. At some point their Sony Spider-Man Universe is going to hit a wall that either a. They seek Marvel's help again or b. Reboot entirely.

At least with Disney, Spider-Man is tied to a bigger universe that would do well for years to come.

I'd like to see a clean slate, and with Sony, that's what I feel we would get.
You would only get THAT clean slate once Sony hits the wall again (like a flop movie or Tom Holland refusing to return or something like what happened to Sm4/Tasm2) and they have no choice but to recast, do something drastic in order to keep the rights.

I believe at some point, MCU will be rebooted. The characters will be rebooted and portrayed by different actors for the younger generation. That time would come. While Sony would likely reboot Spider-Man when they faced an obstacle. They aren't rebooting Spider-Man like its James Bond.

I
The only thing keeping Spider-Man fresh imo is its rogues gallery. They are already doing the Avenger team up, multiverse, sinister siX and Spidey-people (well in animation). I just don't see what Sony can bring fresh to the table when they reboot Peter Parker in the movies in the 2030s and 2040s.

Also, the solo movies for Morbius, Venom and Kraven are eXcess baggage. They feel irrelevant. At some point their Sony Spider-Man Universe is going to hit a wall that either a. They seek Marvel's help again or b. Reboot entirely.

At least with Disney, Spider-Man is tied to a bigger universe that would do well for years to come.

The problem with that is that the Disney Spiderman would be stuck with that same continuity and they wouldn't have the ability to give a different take on Spiderman, his myths, or his characters.
You're stuck creatively basically.

Yeah, tied to the MCU is nice, but I wouldn't want it to become a burden for telling fresh stories of a younger Peter, or even an older Peter ,due to continuity.

Imo, the creativity and new vision should come first , not being tied to a continuity . It's just not appealing to me at the end of the day once Holland's reign ends.

I want to see the creative freedom of a fresh pair of eyes and a young director in the 2030s and 2040s give their own vision of the Spiderman myths again when Holland leaves.

I wouldn't discount Sony bringing on a new creative team with a fresh vision in 15 to 20 years. That's a long time from now and a lot could happen. None us has a crystal ball to see 20 years into the future.

Again, as I said, I'd be down for Marvel restarting a Spiderman series with a fresh slate.

You would only get THAT clean slate once Sony hits the wall again (like a flop movie or Tom Holland refusing to return or something like what happened to Sm4/Tasm2) and they have no choice but to recast, do something drastic in order to keep the rights.

I believe at some point, MCU will be rebooted. The characters will be rebooted and portrayed by different actors for the younger generation. That time would come. While Sony would likely reboot Spider-Man when they faced an obstacle. They aren't rebooting Spider-Man like its James Bond.

This thread is based on a hypothetical question , and I gave the conditions and reasons why I would want a reboot.

How that scenerio would become possible isn't the question I was answering.

The question is what I would prefer, which I answered.

Well I'm telling you, you are likely getting another Spider-Man reboot from Sony when something disastrous happened to them just like in the past - Sam Raimi bailing out, Sony hack, Tasm2 underperforming.

Well we probably don't need to wait long to see what could happen, if Tom Holland is retired from the Mcu soon and is forced to star with Venom, Morbius and Kraven...

Last edited:
Well I'm telling you, you are like getting another Spider-Man reboot from Sony when something disastrous happened to them just like in the past - Sam Raimi bailing out, Sony hack, Tasm2 underperforming.

But that's not relevant when talking about Preferences and answering the question of the thread.

Even then, I doubt that's the only way things could play out. But ultimately, for the sake if this thread , that's not my concern in answering the topic question.

The question is "what would you prefer?", not "what scenario it would take to get you to what you would prefer."

The problem with that is that the Disney Spiderman would be stuck with that same continuity and they wouldn't have the ability to give a different take on Spiderman, his myths, or his characters.
You're stuck creatively basically.
And who says they are going to keep the same continuity until the 2050s or 2060s though?

Their actors are aging, and they've already retired Steve,Natasha and Iron Man. Spider-Man could be retired as well and if that happens he won't be creatively stuck. You are stating it like the continuity that started in 2008 would be around for Infinity.

But that's not relevant when talking about Preferences and answering the question of the thread.

Even then, I doubt that's the only way things could play out. But ultimately, for the sake if this thread , that's not my concern in answering the topic question.

The question is "what would you prefer?", not "what scenario it would take to get you to what you would prefer."
So you prefer getting Spiderman reboots which would only happen when Sony faced an obstacle like they did with Sm4/in 2014.. Okay then.

So you prefer getting Spiderman reboots which would only happen when Sony faced an obstacle like they did with Sm4/in 2014.. Okay then.

You can agree or disagree with my answer to the thread .
I have my views on it, and like it or not, that's how I feel.

If you feel it takes a certain scenarios that make my desire and fan wish possible , you can do that if you want to.

But I'm answering the question of the thread.

If you don't like that answer , I don't know what to tell you.

That's just how it is.

You can agree or disagree with my answer to the thread .
I have my views on it, and like it or not, that's how I feel.

If you feel it takes a certain scenarios that make my desire and fan wish possible , you can do that if you want to.

But I'm answering the question of the thread.

If you don't like that answer , I don't know what to tell you.

That's just how it is.
Well I just told you my opinion about it and its related to the topic of this thread. You don't need to prove anything as well, I'm just commenting.

When Peter Parker is rebooted with a new actor because of Sony. I can just picture the discussions of "what went wrong with Sony again". And that would affect the anticipation for another Spider-Man. And by that time, why would fans really want Spider-Man to still remain with Sony.:confused:

Personally, it's unknown what will happen next after NWH. Maybe there may be different scenarios playing out based on what side wants from the other and etc.

On one hand you have the absolute worst Spider-Man films with Sony and that awful idea of making a cinematic universe out of villains and secondary characters. On the other hand you have an uninspired formulaic version with Disney, that neither goes very low nor particularly high, with many things being fundamentally wrong about the hero and a very producer-driven studio that we always joke about buying everything, but is becoming closer to that reality every day. Sony doesn't have a clue what to do with him but when they choose the right filmmakers they make it feel very special. It's a close call but I'll support creativity over monotony, even with the risk of turning out to be a turd in the wind.

Last edited:
Well I just told you my opinion about it and its related to the topic of this thread. You don't need to prove anything as well, I'm just commenting.

When Peter Parker is rebooted with a new actor because of Sony. I can just picture the discussions of "what went wrong with Sony again". And that would affect the anticipation for another Spider-Man. And by that time, why would fans really want Spider-Man to still remain with Sony.:confused:

Well you sorta addressed my opinion but then wanted to talk about different scenarios .

And don't worry, I've got nothing to prove .

I'm trying to stick to the topic and answer the question that was asked.

But I get it, not everyone will agree with my desire and my view of a rebooted Spiderman or who should own the rights

This is a forum and we're not all gonna agree with each other.

Again, you can disagree with me. This is a forum, and i've been on hype long enough to know not to expect everyone to agree with me.

Personally, it's unknown what will happen next after NWH. Maybe there may be different scenarios playing out based on what side wants from the other and etc.

Yeah. We don't know what will happen in 10 or 15 years with this franchise.

Sony already featured Mcu Vulture in Morbius' trailer. They definitely want Tom Holland to crossover with Venom, Morbius and Kraven, any studio would. And the multiverse seems like an easy way to send Spidey to VenomVerse,just like Multiverse is why we got the previous Spidey villains from the previous movies without recasting.

Yeah. We don't know what will happen in 10 or 15 years with this franchise.
Sony Spider-Man Universe could be over by then.

If Tom Holland joins the Sony Spider-Man Universe, I see him getting 3 non cameo roles either his own film or the others, before it all goes down from there. But it should at least have more films than Saimi era/Webb era.

On one hand you have the absolute worst Spider-Man films with Sony and that awful idea of making a cinematic universe out of villains and secondary characters. On the other hand you have an uninspired formulaic version with Disney, that neither goes very low nor particularly high, with many things being fundamentally wrong about the hero and a very producer-driven studio that we always joke about buying everything, but is becoming closer the that reality every day. Sony doesn't have a clue what to do with him but when they choose the right filmmakers they make it feel very special. It's a close call but I'll support creativity over monotony, even with the risk of turning out to be a turd in the wind.

Which is where I'm at , and which is why my preference would be for them to hold the rights for a reboot when or if it happens .

I don't want the next version to be a turd in the wind, but I'd prefer a fresh pair of eyes with the right filmmaker and a well done, new, vision of the Peter Parker story.

Eh. Between Sony and Disney, I'd risk it with Disney who has a better track record with Marvel movies. Spider-Man 2 might be the greatest Marvel film ever but all mcu films are better than TASM2, Venom and Sm3 imho. And oh those Ghost Rider films were under Sony as well.

Sony Spider-Man Universe could be over by then.

If Tom Holland joins the Sony Spider-Man Universe, I see him getting 3 non cameo roles either his own film or the others, then it all goes down from there. But it should at least have more films than Saimi era/Webb era.

I'm talking about a fresh take and reboot in 10 or 15 years, which by default, wouldn't have anything to do with the Sonyverse of Venom , Morbuis, etc.

My desire for the reboot would be that it wouldn't be connected to the Venomverse.

So the Venomverse would be neither here nor there when I talk about a reboot.

I'm talking about a fresh take, not a Venomverse spin off, so if the Venomverse were gone, that's be fine by me.

I'm talking about a fresh take and reboot in 10 or 15 years, which by default, wouldn't have anything to do with the Sonyverse of Venom , Morbuis, etc.

My desire for the reboot would be that it wouldn't connected to the Venomverse.

So the Venomverse would be neither here nor there when I talk about a reboot.
I'm talking about a fresh take, not a Venomverse spin off, so if the Venomverse were gone, that's be fine by me.
Why does this read "Sony has a better chance of rebooting Spider-Man because out of the two, its the studio that would likely mess up and press the reboot button". Okay.

I LOOOOVE the first Venom movie, and I really like Woody Harrelson as an actor, that should make Venom 2: Let There Be Carnage a fun ride I need to experience.

Keep the film rights I say, at least for Venom and Into the Spider-Variations sequels.

This is a hard one.

In hindsight, I actually think the Sony/Marvel deal was the worst of the three options. Spider-Man staying at Sony completely or returning to Marvel completely would have both been better alternatives than what we actually got. Under the restrictions that came with the deal, MCU Spider-Man was turned into almost the opposite of who Spider-Man is. I'm not going to get into that here because there is already tons of discussion on it.

It's highly unlikely that the flaws in MCU Spider-Man would have been there had Feige had full creative control. Feige has yet to drop the ball with other Marvel heroes the way he did with Spider-Man, and it's clear when you hear him talk about Spidey that the man "gets" him. Likewise, Sony has never dropped the ball with Spider-Man's characterization this much back when they were working solo. Not even in recent history (see ITSV). So MCU Spider-Man must have turned out the way he did due to restrictions/compromises on both Sony and Marvel's part.

I don't see this going away. Sony and Disney arguably both have an incentive to heavily tie this Spider-Man to elements in the MCU like Iron Man. In Sony's case it makes sense because they have to gain the public's trust that they can make good Spider-Man films, in Disney's case it makes sense in case Sony ever tries to pull Holland Spidey out of the MCU. It's a power play on both sides, in other words.

The result is that Spider-Man suffers creatively. And anything is better than that. Heck, Sony flunking Spider-Man and having to return the rights because they can no longer make money off of him would have been better. Spider-Man is big enough to survive a Batman & Robin at this point. Had that happened with TASM3, Spidey could have returned to Marvel around the same time as the X-Men and the FF, and Marvel could have taken their time on him the way they're now taking their time on the latter.

So even if just one studio loses the rights, that would already be an improvement. As for which studio it should be, I honestly don't know. There's additional factors we have to consider, like the fact that Sony wouldn't be burdened with continuity as much as Marvel is. As What If? Zombies proved, Marvel having full creative control over Spidey is no longer enough to "fix" this version, because they still have to adhere to the characterization that was established by Watts and the Russos. Whereas Sony can always reboot again. That's without even getting into the ITSV franchise, which is entirely Sony. It's factors like that that don't make Feige and Marvel the most obvious choice by default in this particular case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"