Who Will Be The New MCU Trinity?

Maybe it is just me but I think the trio of Strange-CM-Black Panther will not make a good dynamic.

What makes the Big Three of Thor-Cap-Iron Man (and also DC's Superman-Batman-Wonder Woman) special is that they complement each other. They are different yet at the same time they feel like they fit together. The same cannot be said with Strange-Carol-T'Challa.

I honestly dont know what makes BP-CM-Strange as a good Big Three besides they three are now the only heavy hitters left (and box office makers) in MCU.
Popularity and Box Office wise, yes...they are perfect, but character wise? To me, that is like giving the title of New Trinity to randomly (forgive if my comparison is bad as my DC knowledge is limited) Dr.Fate-Black Lightning-Wonder Woman.

If MCU will ever have their new big 3, I think it will be characters from former Fox Marvel characters (Wolverine, Storm) or legacy characters.

Besides, with the exception of T'Challa, either CM and Strange is not exactly a kind that will hanging around with a group like The Avengers (Strange is more fit with kind of magic stuff and horror characters like Blade, Ghost Rider, Hellstrom, while Carol is more space adventurer with Alpha Flight).
True. But there is no real need to have a big 3. Just have good characters across the MCU who link together well.

True. But there is no real need to have a big 3. Just have good characters across the MCU who link together well.

You don't necessarily need a big three, but CM/BP/DS are good compliments for each other given their diverse areas of expertise. And just generally speaking, they are going to have to promote somebody as being the faces of the MCU. The ones that are front and center on the posters and get the most ad time. The first two especially will get that given how much their movies made. Some characters will inevitably have more of an impact on and be more popular with the general audience than others, and those characters are going to be pushed by Disney. Again, keep in mind that it won't be Spider-Man because of rights issues.

I feel like those three plus Ant-Man would be fun. If they can't get Spidey to do his thing as a guest star.

I feel like those three plus Ant-Man would be fun. If they can't get Spidey to do his thing as a guest star.

Agreed. Spidey will get in there. I think you can count on that. To what extent will be the question. They can't put a lot of stock in him because that would probably lead to the rug getting pulled out from under him.

I see Ant-Man being like the Hulk after Ant-Man 3, unless Marvel Studios makes a fourth Ant-Man movie.

When we first got IM, he wasn't that well known and was considered, at the VERY best, a B list character (and probably not quite that). Of course, those of us who grew up on comics knew of him. Thor and CA were also pretty well known. Much more so, I would say than CM, BP, and, maybe DS. Marvel wanted to do the Avengers from the get go, so it made sense to introduce those 3 along with Hulk (much more well known) and a side cast. After they were about to be played out, Marvel needed some new blood and got it.

It took me a while, but here's my point.....Yeah, Thor, IM, and CA are as different as are BP, CM, and DS. When you say they "feel" like they fit together, I think it's because of the writing. Of course, they were the early Avengers so there's that. With the right scripts, I could see DS, BP, and CM pulling all of the elements you mention (Space, Magic, and more "Avengery" stuff LOL) together into a big, fun adventure that spans more than one movie.

We'll see how the additions of FF, X-Men, new, awesome villains, and others play out. My head keeps going to Secret Wars, but there's still some fertile land out there.

Oh, I agree..with the right storytelling and writing, I believe DS-CM-BP could mesh together, but for now, I really can't see them as interesting character dynamic like IM-Cap-Thor was.
Hopefully Marvel Studios can make me love and care for their character dynamic.

Yes, I am excited for the addition of F4, X-Men, Doctor Doom to the MCU.
I still think that Wolverine and Storm will be ones of the new face of MCU going forward.

This I agree also...there is indeed no need Big Three in terms of story..just a good character dynamic is all I wanted...hehe

Maybe the more right question is..Who will be the MCU new "face"? The one they will put front and center in their marketing.
Thats why I think whoever Marvel cast as Wolverine must be as charming and charismatic as RDJ's Iron Man.

This I agree also...there is indeed no need Big Three in terms of story..just a good character dynamic is all I wanted...hehe

Maybe the more right question is..Who will be the MCU new "face"? The one they will put front and center in their marketing.
Thats why I think whoever Marvel cast as Wolverine must be as charming and charismatic as RDJ's Iron Man.
Someone being as charismatic as RDJ it’s gonna be really tough. Not impossible, but tough. Go back and check out Chances Are or Soap, amongst many others, if you want to see you some really charismatic performances. That guy has a ton of talent. Dolittle got my dough this weekend, but I thought it was so so. It doesn’t diminish the talent of RDJ

Oh, I agree..with the right storytelling and writing, I believe DS-CM-BP could mesh together, but for now, I really can't see them as interesting character dynamic like IM-Cap-Thor was.
Hopefully Marvel Studios can make me love and care for their character dynamic.

Yes, I am excited for the addition of F4, X-Men, Doctor Doom to the MCU.
I still think that Wolverine and Storm will be ones of the new face of MCU going forward.

Let me ask you this. Could you see CA, IM, and Thor meshing after their original solo movies? If so, my guess it's because they were part of the original Avengers (well, Cap wasn't quite, but you get my drift). Give them a good story, and BP, CM, and DS will do just fine. I'll throw out one other thing. Not to slag on Evans and Hemsworth (I think they've come into their own as actors and were pretty talented to begin with), but Cumberbatch, Boseman, and Larson are ahead of the game in terms of their acting chops than were the Chrises (yeah, I know that's not a word LOL). You'll note I didn't throw RDJ in there.

I don't think the next face of the MCU will be as popular or successful as RDJ was. That's a real high bar to measure up against. But there will have to be somebody, even if they aren't at RDJ's level. Chadwick Boseman seems the most likely to me after having a billion dollar grossing, Academy Award Best Picture nominated film in the series already.

I wouldn't put too much stock in how popular the characters were in the comics. Iron Man wasn't either. If a character being well-known was that important, Ed Norton would have been the face of the MCU. Fans need to remember that it isn't the 90s anymore.

I really can't see a new trinity in the MCU because it's all about teams this time. The X-men, F4, Avengers............I just don't see it. I think Blade will be pretty big as well. Plus there is like no chemistry at all with Strange, BP and CM. Have they even said a single word to each other on film? If there is going to be a trinity, we have not see them on film yet.

I really can't see a new trinity in the MCU because it's all about teams this time. The X-men, F4, Avengers............I just don't see it. I think Blade will be pretty big as well. Plus there is like no chemistry at all with Strange, BP and CM. Have they even said a single word to each other on film? If there is going to be a trinity, we have not see them on film yet.
All about teams....

Shang-Chi
Blade
Thor
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Those Disney + shows

The number of upcoming solo movies still outnumber of upcoming team/group movies.

The big three appeared in 4 Avengers films, and there was still a big 3.

I agree with Kahran, they are going to be characters that are going to be front and center and get the most ad/screentime.

All about teams....

Shang-Chi
Blade
Thor
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Those Disney + shows

The number of upcoming solo movies still outnumber of upcoming team/group movies.

The big three appeared in 4 Avengers films, and there was still a big 3.

I agree with Kahran, they are going to be characters that are going to be front and center and get the most ad/screentime.
Dude I did not mean LITERALLY no solo films..............I was saying it will be all about teams in the next phase because Xmen and F4 are franchise type teams, especially F4 because they are tailor made for Disney. They are more Disney than the Avengers ever were and Disney turned them into a multi billion dollar franchise.

I think it's pretty clear there's going to be a combination of teams and solo acts. More teams now after Fox was purchased, but still PLENTY of room for solos; especially now that we know Disney+ has a direct tie in to MCU. Very different than the Netflix series. The FF will be the FF. There's no doubt about that, but will they allow individual members solo or team up (Thing and Johnny? Johnny and Spidey would be cool.) movies? They have some options with the X-Men. Do they go with the original group? Add Wolvie? Storm? The Avengerverse is where I think we'll have some (not necessarily 3) characters front and center. I see BP and CM leading the new group of Avengers. DS I see as a little less in that day to day role, but having big picture knowledge and insights; also a leader of sorts and likely a muse for Wanda. Do they bring back Vision? I was never enthralled by the character, but that doesn't mean much. In the short term, there's clearly a role for Thor. Lady Thor......ughhhhhh.....while I have nothing against her personally, Portman coming back is one of the least attractive things I've seen Marvel do. I'm probably pretty jaded because I felt like she just mailed it in when they did Dark World.

I wonder how/if the Eternals fit into the picture. A movie with Watcher/Galactus would be awesome.

I wish they'd bring back Pietro.

Last edited:
Dude I did not mean LITERALLY no solo films..............I was saying it will be all about teams in the next phase because Xmen and F4 are franchise type teams, especially F4 because they are tailor made for Disney. They are more Disney than the Avengers ever were and Disney turned them into a multi billion dollar franchise.
Again, its not mostly about the teams when majority of the neXt phase that they've announced ARE SOLO movies.

I think it's pretty clear there's going to be a combination of teams and solo acts. More teams now after Fox was purchased, but still PLENTY of room for solos; especially now that we know Disney+ has a direct tie in to MCU. Very different than the Netflix series. The FF will be the FF. There's no doubt about that, but will they allow individual members solo or team up (Thing and Johnny? Johnny and Spidey would be cool.) movies? They have some options with the X-Men. Do they go with the original group? Add Wolvie? Storm? The Avengerverse is where I think we'll have some (not necessarily 3) characters front and center. I see BP and CM leading the new group of Avengers. DS I see as a little less in that day to day role, but having big picture knowledge and insights; also a leader of sorts and likely a muse for Wanda. Do they bring back Vision? I was never enthralled by the character, but that doesn't mean much. In the short term, there's clearly a role for Thor. Lady Thor......ughhhhhh.....while I have nothing against her personally, Portman coming back is one of the least attractive things I've seen Marvel do. I'm probably pretty jaded because I felt like she just mailed it in when they did Dark World.

I wonder how/if the Eternals fit into the picture. A movie with Watcher/Galactus would be awesome.

I wish they'd bring back Pietro.
I was wondering why they didn't bring him back in Infinity War. But I saw a rumor somewhere that they may bring Johnson back as Adam Warlock or someone like that. I saw it in passing. But still, to kill Quicksilver so quickly without build up makes you feel cheated.

I was wondering why they didn't bring him back in Infinity War. But I saw a rumor somewhere that they may bring Johnson back as Adam Warlock or someone like that. I saw it in passing. But still, to kill Quicksilver so quickly without build up makes you feel cheated.

2nd stupidest thing coming only after bringing back Portman to be Thor? :argh:

2nd stupidest thing coming only after bringing back Portman to be Thor? :argh:
I'm only boycotting Thor because of her. Well not boycotting but have no plans of seeing it in theaters because of her. I hate her in Thor and then hearing about her attitude makes me not want to see it that much more.

I'm only boycotting Thor because of her. Well not boycotting but have no plans of seeing it in theaters because of her. I hate her in Thor and then hearing about her attitude makes me not want to see it that much more.
Now now now. You just need to relax and take some Xanax. See ya en la manana.

Someone being as charismatic as RDJ it’s gonna be really tough. Not impossible, but tough. Go back and check out Chances Are or Soap, amongst many others, if you want to see you some really charismatic performances. That guy has a ton of talent. Dolittle got my dough this weekend, but I thought it was so so. It doesn’t diminish the talent of RDJ

Yeah it will hard though... but like you said,,it is not impossible..thanks for your input there :)

Let me ask you this. Could you see CA, IM, and Thor meshing after their original solo movies? If so, my guess it's because they were part of the original Avengers (well, Cap wasn't quite, but you get my drift). Give them a good story, and BP, CM, and DS will do just fine. I'll throw out one other thing. Not to slag on Evans and Hemsworth (I think they've come into their own as actors and were pretty talented to begin with), but Cumberbatch, Boseman, and Larson are ahead of the game in terms of their acting chops than were the Chrises (yeah, I know that's not a word LOL). You'll note I didn't throw RDJ in there.

Hmm...now thats a good question though...
To think it now, yeah perhaps thats because in comics lore, they already being set up as the Avengers "Big Three" so my brain has been set to accept them as they are in the comics.

You have a solid point there though..once again, thanks for your input :)

Maybe my issue with BP-CM-DS as "Big 3" is (like Docker2.0 stated) that we barely see them together, let alone interact with each other. But the same can be also said with IM-Cap-Thor at the beginning. So, lets hope we have a writer who understands these character dynamic like Joss Whedon did in their first interaction.

On the cast thing, while I agree that Benedict, Chadwick and Brie are better acting wise than Evans and Hemsworth, but chemistry wise, thats different thing, though...
Again I'd like to point it out that one other thing that makes the Original Big Three feel special is because the chemistry on and also off set between RDJ, Hemsworth, and Evans (not only those 3, but with the cast of other Original 6 as well) was so natural. You can tell that they are really close friends by listening their interaction on and off set.

Yes, I know, it is too early to tell but I knew that few fans here had many issues with Brie's Carol as many has stated her performance as stiff and wooden. And despite Black Panther doing great in box office, I dont think that Chadwick's T'Challa has become an instant fan favorite (as many said that he is being over shadowed by his co stars in his solo movie) or general audience favorite as well like Evans or Hemsworth did in their first solo movie.

For Benedict, I also aware that a few fans also has not like his Doctor Strange performance until Infinity War.

My point is that, despite they are indeed a better actors, but Benedict, Chadwick, and Brie has more mixed reaction regarding their performance than what Hemsworth and Evans did.

But like I said, it is too early to tell as they have more sequels coming up for them... lets just hope we have a writer like Joss who get and understand each character's dynamic, if Marvel Studios can do that, then I believe we can have a natural and good chemistry that we can love and cheer like the Original Big 3 did.

I personally loved each performance in their solo movie, though.but yeah, their lack of interaction or the charm and chemistry is the other things that I think they still cannot be matched with the Original Big Three. Time will tell though.

Btw, nice to have this discussion with you...I never been this long for discussing on this forum. I learned so much. Thanks again for your perspective there..:) (also apologize if I have some grammatical error, ...but i did my best there, haha)

Last edited:
Hmm...now thats a good question though...
To think it now, yeah perhaps thats because in comics lore, they already being set up as the Avengers "Big Three" so my brain has been set to accept them as they are in the comics.

You have a solid point there though..once again, thanks for your input :)

Maybe my issue with BP-CM-DS as "Big 3" is (like Docker2.0 stated) that we barely see them together, let alone interact with each other. But the same can be also said with IM-Cap-Thor at the beginning. So, lets hope we have a writer who understands these character dynamic like Joss Whedon did in their first interaction.

On the cast thing, while I agree that Benedict, Chadwick and Brie are better acting wise than Evans and Hemsworth, but chemistry wise, thats different thing, though...
Again I'd like to point it out that one other thing that makes the Original Big Three feel special is because the chemistry on and also off set between RDJ, Hemsworth, and Evans (not only those 3, but with the cast of other Original 6 as well) was so natural. You can tell that they are really close friends by listening their interaction on and off set.

Yes, I know, it is too early to tell but I knew that few fans here had many issues with Brie's Carol as many has stated her performance as stiff and wooden. And despite Black Panther doing great in box office, I dont think that Chadwick's T'Challa has become an instant fan favorite (as many said that he is being over shadowed by his co stars in his solo movie) or general audience favorite as well like Evans or Hemsworth did in their first solo movie.

For Benedict, I also aware that a few fans also has not like his Doctor Strange performance until Infinity War.

My point is that, despite they are indeed a better actors, but Benedict, Chadwick, and Brie has more mixed reaction regarding their performance than what Hemsworth and Evans did.

But like I said, it is too early to tell as they have more sequels coming up for them... lets just hope we have a writer like Joss who get and understand each character's dynamic, if Marvel Studios can do that, then I believe we can have a natural and good chemistry that we can love and cheer like the Original Big 3 did.

I personally loved each performance in their solo movie, though.but yeah, their lack of interaction or the charm and chemistry is the other things that I think they still cannot be matched with the Original Big Three. Time will tell though.

Btw, nice to have this discussion with you...I never been this long for discussing on this forum. I learned so much. Thanks again for your perspective there..:) (also apologize if I have some grammatical error, ...but i did my best there, haha)

Well, now it's MY turn to say "good point". Yeah, you could tell the cast was really close off and on screen. When you develop friendships, I think it shows on the big screen.

It is true that the 3 many are touting as the next coming had more mixed reactions. Honestly, I don't know why as I thought they all did really nice jobs. That being said, I think the expectations are far higher now than they were 15 or 20 years ago. I wonder if it were Evans and Hemsworth being introduced now, if they would have had as positive reaction as they did. I think back to the first X movie (which I liked at the time) and think it really hasn't aged well. You can also go to the first FF Story movie (which I thought was sort of fun). It hasn't aged very well either and is generally panned. My take is that the bar has been raised by Marvel and we expect the best and we expect it on a consistent basis.

Anyway, it's fun to throw these ideas around. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"