The Amazing Spider-Man Why did Peter even make the costume and webbing?

You guys are not that vocal.

Well, the majority thought they were just alright. Only a few actually thought they were "terrible". With the first one the main complaint seemed to be that it was too soon for a reboot, but besides that people didn't have any major gripes about it. With the second the reception was a little more negative, but again the general reception from audiences seemed to be that it was "alright".

Talk about splitting hairs.

If the general public thought it was merely alright, why was there a sizeable box office drop every ASM film? There is statistical evidence to prove that audiences were turned off. They wouldn't be avoiding the films if they were just 'aight'.

If the general public thought it was merely alright, why was there a sizeable box office drop every ASM film? There is statistical evidence to prove that audiences were turned off. They wouldn't be avoiding the films if they were just 'aight'.

Look at any form of audience rating.

The fact that audiences were leaving in droves is a massive red flag.

Audience ratings are inconsistent, often having bombs be higher rated than massive success.

Audiences were not leaving in droves. TASM made less money because it was a reboot. TASM 2 made even less because of the critical reception, and because it follows the same formula of the previous Spider-Man movies. Audiences are starting to get fatigued.

Of course it was because it was losing the audiences. The formula had nothing to do with the bad critical reception, it was the horrible execution of the formula.

For example the James Bond movies have followed the same formula since 1962, and over 20 movies later they're still going stronger than ever. Why? Because they're making good movies. Whereas the TASM movies were just bad, and turned audiences off.

Last edited:
Of course it was because it was losing the audiences. The formula had nothing to do with the bad critical reception, it was the horrible execution of the formula.

For example the James Bond movies have followed the same formula since 1962, and over 20 movies later they're still going stronger than ever. Why? Because they're making good movies. Whereas the TASM movies were just bad, and turned audiences off.

You are wrong sir. EVERY audience rating I have seen on the internet shows that the majority of people liked the TASM movies. These are raw statistics, these are facts. Even most critics liked the TASM movies, as both scores are over 50 percent on rotten tomatoes. And you can not say that the movies "were just bad" because believe it or not films are subjective. The Amazing Spider-Man was well received. How could a drop in numbers automatically mean that the majority of audiences didn't like the second? Why did Spider-Man 2 make less than Spider-Man? Did the audience not like Raimi's first 2 movies? But Spider-Man 3 was the highest grossing Spider-Man film. So obviously audiences thought that Spider-Man 3 was the best in the series, right? Your argument doesn't make sense to me sir.

Is this thread serious? Is it lack all logic and common sense week on the hype or something?

You are wrong sir. EVERY audience rating I have seen on the internet shows that the majority of people liked the TASM movies. These are raw statistics, these are facts. Even most critics liked the TASM movies, as both scores are over 50 percent on rotten tomatoes. And you can not say that the movies "were just bad" because believe it or not films are subjective. The Amazing Spider-Man was well received. How could a drop in numbers automatically mean that the majority of audiences didn't like the second? Why did Spider-Man 2 make less than Spider-Man? Did the audience not like Raimi's first 2 movies? But Spider-Man 3 was the highest grossing Spider-Man film. So obviously audiences thought that Spider-Man 3 was the best in the series, right? Your argument doesn't make sense to me sir.

I am right sir. You are too hung up on your audience rating numbers you see on the internet. I can show you the same audience ratings in the thousands that show garbage movies like Green Lantern sitting on scores that suggest the majority of people liked them when we know nothing could be further from the truth. We're not just talking a drop in just box office numbers, we're talking about a drop in everything. Box office, critical and audience scores. I'm not just measuring this by financial gain. Spider-Man 2 may have made less than SM-1, but it was still a huge financial success (whereas Sony reportedly only made a paltry profit of something like $50 million off TASM 2), and an even bigger hit with fans, audiences, and critics.

My argument makes sense sir you are just not understanding it. If you think Sony would have canned the TASM movies and jumped into bed with Marvel if they were liked by most and not losing audiences, then no offense but you are in severe denial. Especially if you've read the leaked Sony emails, too.

Last edited:
I am right sir. You are too hung up on your audience rating numbers you see on the internet. I can show you the same audience ratings in the thousands that show garbage movies like Green Lantern sitting on scores that suggest the majority of people liked them when we know nothing could be further from the truth. We're not just talking a drop in just box office numbers, we're talking about a drop in everything. Box office, critical and audience scores. I'm not just measuring this by financial gain. Spider-Man 2 may have made less than SM-1, but it was still a huge financial success (whereas Sony reportedly only made a paltry profit of something like $50 million off TASM 2), and an even bigger hit with fans, audiences, and critics.

My argument makes sense sir you are just not understanding it. If you think Sony would have canned the TASM movies and jumped into bed with Marvel if they were liked by most and not losing audiences, then no offense but you are in severe denial. Especially if you've read the leaked Sony emails, too.

:lmao: My only argument is that most of the audience found the TASM series to be at least passable. This is a fact, not an opinion. And how do you know that the majority of people didn't like Green Lantern? Oh, because it's audience scores are less than 50 on most sites. Where with the TASM series it is greater than 50 percent on ALL of the sites that I have seen. You are the one that's in denial.

My only argument is that most of the audience found the TASM series to be at least passable.

Passable doesn't mean they liked or enjoyed them. Going from great Spider-Man movies to passable ones loses your audiences, which is what happened. If you can't keep your audiences then your franchise is in trouble. That's why they canned the TASM franchise and teamed with Marvel. Common sense. Logic.

And how do you know that the majority of people didn't like Green Lantern?

That's a rhetorical question right?

Oh, because it's audience scores are less than 50 on most sites. Where with the TASM series it is greater than 50 percent on ALL of the sites that I have seen. You are the one that's in denial.

It's because the scores on most sites based on thousands have it sitting on 3/5 or higher, or 6/10 or higher.

Last edited:
And the general audience don't remember the Raimi movies as fondly as you think.

For me I need to at least like something to call it passing.

That's you though.

And the general audience don't remember the Raimi movies as fondly as you think.

According to whom? Kevin Fiege sure doesn't see it that way. He sees the specter of Spider-Man 2 hanging over their new Spidey movie as the standard they have to live up to for fans and audiences. He'd know what audiences want better than you or I.

Last edited:
Going by Rotten Tomatoes audience scores the Webb series averages higher.

According to whom? Kevin Fiege sure doesn't see it that way. He sees the specter of Spider-Man 2 hanging over their new Spidey movie as the standard they have to live up to for fans and audiences. He'd know what audiences want better than you or I.

Why do you put Kevin on such a high pedestal? He is one person. His opinion doesn't matter any more than the 7 billion other people.

Going by Rotten Tomatoes audience scores the Webb series averages higher.

Average higher than what? Look at the scores. TASM is at 3.9/5 based on 819 thousand. TASM 2 is at 3.7/5 based on 200 thousand votes.

One movie is barely 3 years old, and the other is just over a year old. Now compare that to say the much maligned Spider-Man 3, which is over 8 years old, and is sitting on a much more weighted vote of over 2 million, and it's rounding out an average score of 3.3/5 after 8 years and 2 million worth of votes.

The TASM movies are only a few points off that, and they have not even got even close to that number of votes, nor been out nearly as long. How much lower do you think they're going to be at after 8 years and 2 million votes? It's easy to predict Spider-Man 3 is going to hold up much better than they ever will.

Why do you put Kevin on such a high pedestal? He is one person. His opinion doesn't matter any more than the 7 billion other people.

I don't know, maybe because he's in charge of a mega successful studio that has successfully catered to millions of people in the CBM genre multiple times over.

Why should someone like that know anything about what audiences want from their superhero movies I wonder. I can't imagine why Sony joined forces with someone like that ;)

Last edited:
The only Raimi movie that audiences fondly remember is Spider-Man 2. The TASM movies are currently the audience's choice Spider-Man series. We will see if it stays that way.I am not going to make false assurances like you are. And I was not referring to Feiges ability to cater to the masses. I was referring to the way that you seem to value his opinion about Spider-Man 2 as reassurance that the audiences feel the same way.

The only Raimi movie that audiences fondly remember is Spider-Man 2.

No, Spider-Man 1 is also fondly remembered. Spider-Man 3 is the only black sheep.

The TASM movies are currently the audience's choice Spider-Man series.

The series that got canned after 2 movies because it couldn't keep it's audiences and fans? Because it was making lousy money for Sony? Because it got critically hammered? You think that's what the audience wants? You think Sony jumped ship from a franchise that the audience wants? I don't know if you're having a laugh or just in extreme denial here.

We will see if it stays that way.I am not going to make false assurances like you are.

Says the guy who claims the TASM movies are the audience's choice lol. If you were Pinocchio your nose would have grown about 10 inches by now :cwink:

And I was not referring to Feiges ability to cater to the masses. I was referring to the way that you seem to value his opinion about Spider-Man 2 as reassurance that the audiences feel the same way.

Feige's ability to cater to the masses comes from knowing what they want. You can't satisfy millions of people over and over if you don't have a clue about what they like. Feige knows how to cater to the masses because he knows what they want. He knows good comic book movies. He knows Spider-Man 2 is, and I quote, one of the greatest. So he knows that's the standard he has to live up to.

Or do you really think he's dumb enough to set his sights of quality with his new venture with Sony on the quality of a movie that is not beloved by audiences? Rhetorical question. I don't think even you believe that.

Last edited:
The TASM movies are the audience choice at this moment dude. I am coming from much more objective point of view than you are. I love all of the Spider-Man movies, while you have some sort of personal vendetta against the TASM movies. Audience scores are the ONLY thing we have to go on right now, and they put them at either even, or with TASM being ahead. This might change, but we don't know. Spider-Man 2 is NOT beloved by audiences. It's only at a 7.2 on IMDB. Spider-Man 2 is beloved by fans, which Feige is.

How are they the audience's choice? Where does that come from? I have no vendetta against the TASM movies. I was fully supportive of the reboot when it was announced. I can even dig up my old posts and prove it if you like. I gave them a fair chance, and they didn't deliver. So it's not a surprise that they got canned after such a short tenure.

There you go again using your on-line audience scores as though they are the lightning rod for what audiences think. IMDb of all places, too.

Feige knows what audiences want, too, not just fans. Or do you honestly think he believes all his movies money comes from fanboys like us lol?

Last edited:
There is no "audience choice" of Spider-Man. Just saying.

Agreed. There would be no reboot and no Marvel partnership if Sony was making Spider-Man movies that people liked.

The TASM movies are the audience choice at this moment dude. I am coming from much more objective point of view than you are. I love all of the Spider-Man movies, while you have some sort of personal vendetta against the TASM movies. Audience scores are the ONLY thing we have to go on right now, and they put them at either even, or with TASM being ahead. This might change, but we don't know. Spider-Man 2 is NOT beloved by audiences. It's only at a 7.2 on IMDB. Spider-Man 2 is beloved by fans, which Feige is.

Disagreed. Audience not want the Amazing Spider-Man movies. They were bad movies and number 2 was especially bad and killed Spider-Man franchise. Now Sony is in trouble and nee help so they make deal with Marvel because Amazing Spider-Man movies are not what audiences want and they need Marvel help to make great Spider-Man movie that audiences will love.

Spider-Man 2 is best Spider-Man movie that loved best. Marvel man Kevin Fege know that well that is why he say it.

By audience choice I mean It is the one most of them would say they preferred at this moment in time. This is not a fact, but an untestable hypothesis that I am inferring from what I know about the general audience, and audience scores.

Well at least now I understand where you were getting this idea from. Your hypothesis based on audience scores is bogus though, since the audiences scores for Raimi's are FAR more heavily weighted than TASM's. Not to mention stood the test of time longer, too, like the aforementioned Spider-Man 3 example above.

You can't say audiences want the TASM ones more based on less votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"