• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man Why does it have to be a trilogy?

B

ben_reilly_s_s

Why not say right from the begining, it's a 6 movie deal. Also, each movie no less than 2 and a half hours long. Get your monies worth...
make the movies more like a comic for once, set up sub-plots to roll into the next movie, but not seem like they are forced.

Movie 1:
Start with Richard and Mary Parker on a mission for the government.
They are killed. (imply the Red Skull, so the Marvel movies can connect a little more)
Peter given to custody of Ben and May.
set up most, if not all the main characters for the 6 films...
Pete, Betty, Jameson, May, Anna, Ben,
add a few like Urich or Katzenberg, Ned. Brock as a built up crime reporter
Flash, liz, a glimpse of Harry and Gwen.
George Stacy, Jean DeWolffe (sp) and Carter (sin eater)
Have 2 villians, plus the un-named burglar.
Pete already has powers, the burlar kills Ben as the movie starts, Pete hunts him down *DOES NOT reveal identity to him. gives him to cops, Stacy wonders why Spider hunted murderer. does behind the scene investigation, hints at ID in Movie 3, dies in Movie 4.

Movie 2:
set-up sin-eater for movie 3,
Doc Ock is Main villian.
some bank robbers.
Brock begins reporting on sin-eater with noreal hints..

Movie 3:
Sin eater exposed as false, then real one later caught.
Brock black listed for false reporting.

Movie 4:
Doc Ock returns
George dies.
Goblin appears, not sure as how it is (make it a mystery)

Movie 5:
Norman revealed Goblin, looses memory.
Gwen dies.

Movie 6:
Pete graduates college,
Brock fully venom now
pete swings off at end for a new villian so as to leave open ended for more if warranted.

I'll flesh these out later on, but if set up with a clear indication that there are more movies, and you know where you want to go with them, they will work rather well...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you why it has to be a trilogy. Because after Superman IV and Batman & Robin, fans are afraid of going past 3. They are so convinced the 4th movie will be a train wreck, and the studios have come to share that fear. Then there's the uncertainty where the actors and directors are concerned. They may not WANT to stick around that long. I don't agree with the mentality and I firmly believe that it's a big part of the reason why the 3rd act keeps coming up short. But there it is.

I agree, they really should take a long term view of this project. NOT as just a trilogy. I believe that Garfield has only been signed to a 3 movie project deal. I wish they would of signed him to the option of a 6 movie deal (at least).

But even if they did, who's to say Garfield might still hold out on his contract if the reboot is hugely successful? I still wish they would have, cause as per the point of this thread, it would of given us more "belief" that they are.. Thinking of the long term.

They always re-negotiate the deals after the 3rd movie anyway. But then again there's no reason why they couldn't do a 7 picture deal like they did with the Harry Potter films. I think it would be more interesting that way to follow the growth of the characters over so many films and over 10+ years... starting with Peter in High School, then College, then even in a marriage with MJ. Heck, you could even start earlier and show Peter being orphaned after his parents died, and Aunt May and Uncle Ben taking him in. And then end teh franchise with the Sinister six and spin-off movies.

The idea of a trilogy for every superhero series IMO has been done to death, usually the bulk of the story takes up only the first two films anyway leaving the third film in a series with discarded ideas that usually means the nail in the coffin.

If I were a movie producer my idea would be for one giant epic story encompassing every 2 films.

I figure it this way if the 2nd film does poorly then there would be no need for a 3rd film, BUT if that 2nd film does excellent then the 3rd film can start up another giant storyline that can lead into a 4th film.

That way instead of trilogies we can doublies. (yeah I made that word up)

The idea of a trilogy for every superhero series IMO has been done to death, usually the bulk of the story takes up only the first two films anyway leaving the third film in a series with discarded ideas that usually means the nail in the coffin.

If I were a movie producer my idea would be for one giant epic story encompassing every 2 films.

I figure it this way if the 2nd film does poorly then there would be no need for a 3rd film, BUT if that 2nd film does excellent then the 3rd film can start up another giant storyline that can lead into a 4th film.

That way instead of trilogies we can doublies. (yeah I made that word up)

:doh: If you're going to make sequels, there has to be at least a trilogy. Movies are made in 3 acts. That's why. Beginning... Middle... and End. 3 acts. Plain and simple.

Now there have been 5 acts also... and some variations to 7 acts... But you need at least 3 total if you are doing sequels.

Spider-Man - Vulture, Doc Ock (begins a year after Peter was bitten and he's still in high school; George Stacy dies by Doc Ock)

Spider-Man II - Chameleon, Kraven, Lizard (between Peter's high school graduation and his first year at college; introduction of Mary Jane as Harry's new girlfriend)

Spider-Man III - Green Goblin, The Enforcers, Kingpin (Peter's second year at college; Gwen Stacy dies by Green Goblin; Norman dies during final battle)

Spider-Man IV - Sandman, Electro, The Enforcers, Kingpin (Peter's fourth year at college; Eddie Brock is introduced as a big-named photographer and easily becomes J. Jonah Jameson's favorite; Harry becomes the new CEO of OsCorp and breaks up with Mary Jane to focus on his work; she and Peter starts to become close; OsCorp finds some new element on the bottom of the ocean floor(the symbiote as it will feel more realistic than adding the space element); Spider-Man receives his black suit and confronts and defeats two new villains(Sandman and Electro) who was created secretly by OsCorp through funding by Kingpin; Black Cat also comes to New York to take out Kingpin because her father was killed by the Kingpin of Crime)

Spider-Man V - Mysterio(plays a small cameo), Venom, Black Cat (begins right after the fifth film; Kingpin survives an attack by Black Cat; he also goes after Harry after he loses the symbiote and ends up killing Harry(I wouldn't bring in Green Goblin II); another death of someone close to Peter makes him realize that the symbiote is using him through his emotions, mainly anger, and takes the suit off where it finds Eddie Brock, who has been trying to frame Spider-Man as of late; Spider-Man chooses to stay away from Black Cat and decides he wants to be with MJ and proposes to her; Eddie dies during final battle)

Spider-Man VI - The Sinister Six (two and a half years later and Peter and MJ still hasn't been married yet; they plan on getting married and J. Jonah Jameson and his wife help them out; the Sinister Six break out and decides to get revenge on Spider-Man, who then go after JJJ since he might know the whereabouts; a huge battle happens during the wedding in which Dr. Connors becomes the Lizard to help Spidey and Black Cat soon arrives to make it a 3-on-6 fight; the battle ends and Spidey takes off his mask infront of the crowd in which he finally marries MJ and JJJ ends up firing Peter)

Last edited:
How about making one movie first and then going from there?

No.3 takes a dive, No.4 takes a deeper dive
Trilogy wraps it up

I agree, they really should take a long term view of this project. NOT as just a trilogy. I believe that Garfield has only been signed to a 3 movie project deal. I wish they would of signed him to the option of a 6 movie deal (at least).

Didn't Chris Evans sign up for like 9 movies ? I'm not even sure these deals really hold up .

Didn't Chris Evans sign up for like 9 movies ? I'm not even sure these deals really hold up .

Thing is for Evans is even if he makes a cameo in another Marvel movie that counts towards those 9 (or w/e the # is) movies he's signed on for. If you count a trilogy for him and the avengers then he'll just have a few cameos elsewhere. Hell they don't even need to use all those appearances.

I would love to see them go into this planning on doin 6 movies. But they would really need to work out the script and make sure they don't contradict themselves, make sure everything connects, etc. also 6 movies, you figure 2 years between each, the actors will age and it'll show. Unless they shoot a few back to back or they do some year jumps within the movies story.

I think it could work but it have to be plan perfectly and everyone would need to be on board with it, so as not to get screwed by movie 4 with actors dropping out and stuff like that

This current trilogy should act as a story arc that begins a long series of Spider-Man films. Here they are covering the parents/Norman Osborn storyline, and afterwards they can continue with other things like a Venom Saga trilogy, the Sinister Six trilogy, etc. Just recast Peter Parker for each trilogy and continue with the universe that has been developed already. TASM created the grounds for a new franchise very well, where with the Raimi films, I don't see how they could have really gone past 3 or 4 movies.

^ :up:

I don't think they have to recast Peter in each trilogy though, just change directors. I also don't think they have to be strictly trilogies, some storylines would be fine with two films...like a gangland storyline for example. Others would work great in a trilogy though, like the Symbiote. Going off the fact that Peter wore the black suit for 4 whole year in the comics, it would make sense to introduce in the first film and have him wear for the next two before fighting Venom in the last. We'd slowly see a change in his personality throughout the movie. It would also work great in combination of a Sinister Six/Master Planner movie, since it would provide Peter with enough power to fight them on his own (similar to TSSM).

Anyway, the idea of continuous arcs and creative changes is definitely what I think they're going for. It works in comics and it works for Bond (minus the arcs) so I believe it can work for Spidey on the big screen as well.

Agreed. :up:

As far as recasting Peter Parker, it all depends on how fast the actor is aging in comparison to the character.

I think if he wants to, Andrew Garfield can be Peter Parker for a long time. Just put on some muscle when he gets to college and show a light beard ever once in a while. He could be the Sean Connery of Spider-Man.

Once again, I think it depends on how much he would age. He is 29 now, and will be 30 this upcoming August. By the time TASM3 starts filming, he will be about 31 or 32 years old, and by that time he may need to be recast. Anyways, IDK if he would want to continue playing the role for so long.

He's a Spidey geek so I don't think he'd mind personally. And at 32 he should look right about how a 19 year old Peter in college should look.

Part of the reasons to plan for a Trilogy would have to do with casting. There's no guarantee that any of the cast will want to return past three. Even if you can swing that, most directors and writers can't assume they'll be able to make more than that to begin with (assuming they get three at all), so they're forced to plan for a three part story.

I have no problem with the idea of a TASM trilogy. If it does well simply carry on with a second trilogy with the same cast, set in the same universe. Either way, you won't be able to keep Garfield for much more than 6-8 films because he'd start getting rather old after a while.

This is why I've always thought a live Spider-man series would be great if the budget issues could be worked out.

If Sony keeps making movies, they should create an expansive Spider-Man universe and build off of the elements that have been introduced. Just do a James Bond thing and there you go.

I don't think many actors would want to play a character for more then a decade. Heck it's limiting because they have to maintain a certain figure and what not.

But hey they have basically been breaking the rule. We could have gotten a spidey 4.

Jackman is on his 5th film as Wolverine with cameos in the FC series.
RDJ will have made his 4th full movie appearance as Stark come Iron Man 3.

The issue with changing cast and continuing the story is that the next director may want to do certain stories that the previous continuity makes difficult. Then again, Batman and Superman are the only series that went to 4 films. Shumacher didn't ignore continuity but he wasn't bound by it.

I think they are limiting themselves too much with a trilogy, why limit themselves to 3 movies when Spider-man has enough material for 10.

The X-Men franchise showed with FC that 4th or 5th (depending on it you count Origina:Wolverine as an X-Men movie) movies in a franchise can be good, and DOFP looks like it could be the best of them yet, thats not mentioning another Wolverine movie in the middle. Trilogies are out of date now anyway, many franchises are going way beyond that, the obvious exception being The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Hell, the Die Hard franchise is on movie 5, with a Terminator 5, Star Wars 7 and 2 more Hobbit movies on the way. Thats not counting Jurassic Park 4, a possibly Indy 5 and many more.

It's not that simple to just make 6 films consecutively for a franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"