The Dark Knight Rises Why is Dick Grayson NOT embraced?

No, it doesn't, but it's okay, I forgive ya. :yay:
I mean, it's just, I associate the name Dick with, well, Dick. Even if he was exactly like Tim, he really wouldn't be Tim without the name attached to it.

I mean, could you stand Batman being named Wally West? Or Hal Jordon? No, he's Bruce Wayne.
But Jason wasn't gay.

Was he...?

:wow:
Was anyone not gay in Schumacher's Gotham?

m_c8b018942213b3742ea1f9964da83406.jpg

erik Sullivan for robin

What's "gay" about the costume? I mean, I can kind-of get the original pixie-boots and booty shorts look, but the current costume is almost exactly what I'd want to see in a movie.
The newer Tim Drake costume is much better
4982_400x600.jpg

but for some reason Tim Sale and Jim Lee still give him the obnoxious classic look (Dark Victory, All Star Batman & Robin). How is anyone supposed to take that seriously?

but for some reason Tim Sale and Jim Lee still give him the obnoxious classic look (Dark Victory, All Star Batman & Robin). How is anyone supposed to take that seriously?

The reason might be those books both came out BEFORE the new Tim Drake costume debuted (In WWIII)? Also the fact that both of those stories you mentioned are about Dick Grayson when he's first starting his carreer as a superhero, not Tim Drake post-WWIII, so it wouldn't make any sense at all for him to have that costume even if it had been around when ASB&R started, and Dark Victory came out. You sir, are a f**king idiot.

I really think Robin needs to appear. I know people are dead set against this, but I really can't consider this a definitive Batman series if they leave out a crucial aspect of the Batman character thats been around in the comics so long. Batman and Robin. Its the most iconic dual in comicdom. Even if Nolan is apprehensive about having a kid in bright colors helping Batman (and the suggestions I've heard about this makes the concept better and better in my eyes), the fact he would ignore the Dick Grayson character completely feels like a big spit in the eye.

Maybe I feel this way because I grew up on the TAS and liked Dick the best. But there a lot of good emotions and interesting drama he can start in the Batman character. Whether it be Jason with his death or Dick with him getting out of Batman's shadow and becoming Nightwing. Just that speech in Batman Forever where Bruce talks to Dick about revenge (one of the few good scenes in the film in my opinion) and waking up each night "trying to find another face" shows how much Dick Grayson's character could do for the series. And that was made under Joel Shumacher. Imagine what a darker director like Nolan could do with it.

Thats a really good point. I agree. However, I dont think there should be any Robin, Nightwing, or Dick Grayson references in TDK. Possibly in the next movie but only if its done the right way. Which as stated before, it hasnt been so far.

Thats a really good point. I agree. However, I dont think there should be any Robin, Nightwing, or Dick Grayson references in TDK. Possibly in the next movie but only if its done the right way. Which as stated before, it hasnt been so far.
So far? It's only been done once before.

That's like saying you're leery about Nolan iusing Two-Face because he hasn't been done right so far.

So far? It's only been done once before.

That's like saying you're leery about Nolan iusing Two-Face because he hasn't been done right so far.

Robin's been done alot more than once in the movies, and he's sucked every time. All the way back to the serials from the 30's and 40's, Robin was the weakest link. I actually think Robin could work, just not the Dick Grayson incarnation of him. It works in the comics just fine, but I think Tim Drake would work much, much better on film. Even Jason Todd would work much better. A character who sort of forces himself on Batman, whether he approves or not. I just don't think a logical man like Bruce would take a child in, for reasons I stated earlier in the thread, unless it was the only option he felt he had. Tim would work, because he wouldnt be living with Bruce, and he could be going out doing all this dangerous crap whether Batman liked it or not, so Batman decided to train him so there's less of a chance he'll get killed.

Trying to guess which year BM took in Robin according to cimics is worthless because the comic timeline is all screwed up. According to the comics Batman takes him in when he's around 10-12 (Dark Victory). But then the BM:Year Three arc takes place after Dick becoming Nightwing and Jason's Death. So it makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd be ok with Robin if it was done right. Maybe Bruce takes Dick in but once he tries to become Robin and help Bruce out he is sent away, which I think would lead well into the Teen Titan movie with him becoming Nightwing. He doesn't have to be young like 10 or 11. He is a part of a circus act so he can't be that young. I'd be fine if he was as old as 15 or 16.

ok robin lets get back on topic "dunna duna dunna duna Batman!!!!!"

Remember, this topic is "Why is Dick Grayson NOT embraced?"

this is not about Robin, just Dick Grayson.

Bruce Wayne can meet and adopt Dick and not ever train him to become Robin in Batman Begins 3

Personally, while I think Robin was okay in Batman TAS, I think he should stay out of the movies. I look at Robin as being a relic from an age long gone, where it was a rule that Superheroes had to have teenage sidekicks. And yet for some reason, Batman has clung onto his sidekick for a lot longer than the other superheroes. Really though, Batman has always been at his coolest when he's alone. Bringing in a sidekick completely cramps his style. I really feel like loner Batman and the Batman who flies with Robin are almost like two different characters.

Yeah, Batman has had way too many sidekicks. Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Bat-Mite, and Ace the Bat-Hound. Gotta love the 50s.

He's portrayed as whiny and annoying. But they can always redeem him but its better having him a separate franchise. It will do him justice and his own personal background and crusade can get people to side with him and view him as their own hero.

Personally, while I think Robin was okay in Batman TAS, I think he should stay out of the movies. I look at Robin as being a relic from an age long gone, where it was a rule that Superheroes had to have teenage sidekicks. And yet for some reason, Batman has clung onto his sidekick for a lot longer than the other superheroes. Really though, Batman has always been at his coolest when he's alone. Bringing in a sidekick completely cramps his style. I really feel like loner Batman and the Batman who flies with Robin are almost like two different characters.

Maybe in the 50s, not so much in modern times. Most of the time I read a newer Batman comic where he's working with a partner, he pretty much acts the same, the only difference being is that he brings that attitude onto other characters. Most people say Robin will brighten Batman too much, but I don't see it. Whenever Batman works with a partner in the comics, he seems too dark in comparison with who he is working with. While he may work with other people, he still keeps that distant attitude intact. Pretty much everytime he works with someone, one main emphasis is how he's too hard to work with because of how overbearing, militaristic, and moody he is. The days of Batman being degraded into a campy, one-liner throwing character whenever Robin shows up are long gone in the comics. It feels more like Batman is still Batman, he doesn't change his way of doing things just because of a tag along. The only real difference is that it shows another aspect of Batman in his interactions with other characters while "on the job".

Everyone is wrong.

Dick Grayson, should be embraced and should be Robin in a new film.

Past Robin incarnations have been terrible...as have been ceratin Bat-films..this is a new series with new life...they will do Robin just as well as they have Bruce Wayne, Gordon, etc....

Dick Grayson /Robin is as important to the Batman mythos and comic book as anything else...if you think otherwise...your not legit lol.

Robin has been portayed VERY well in comics and Animation...no reason we cant get a good actor and director to do the same.

The Father/Son dynamic is great. Robin is the redemtion for Bruce/Batman as well as his potential legacy/successor.

Dick Grayson/Robin give Bruce Wayne a major oppurtunity to go beyond just a crazed vigilante...he can become a father. He can help lead his succesor...he helsp him avoid the pitfalls he did...he does what Alfred did for him...its great storytelling.

Robin has always been the counter balance to Batman. He reminds Bruce to have funto not go to the dark side...

Theres more drama. Fearing for Robin and hoping he succeeds is great stuff.

At the heart of it...especially within the Batman Mythos and within the DC mythos as well...Dick Grayson..is Batman/Bruce Waynes greatest acheivment.

He's better then Batman at everything. Hes a more natural athlete/fighter/problem solving....etc etc...

Everyone is wrong

So... if I agree with you... does that make me wrong too?

But yeah, I have to sign off on just about all of the statements above me. There's a lot of ignorance when it comes to Robin. And just fake reasons period. If Bruce is supposed to be alone, how come he needs Alfred and Lucious' help just to survive. Doesn't sound very alone to me.

All the way back to the serials from the 30's and 40's, Robin was the weakest link.

Haha... the serials Robin is my favorite incarnation of Robin onto the screen... he was athletic, young, naive... and had a cool haircut

They should throw in a little Easter egg like Bruce going to the circus to see the Flying Graysons... or something like that. Maybe even meet the kid just to give him a little screen time. NO ROBIN, of course.

Isn't The Dark Knight supposed to take place in a circus in the final act? They could have a poster in the background somewhere that mentions them.

They should throw in a little Easter egg like Bruce going to the circus to see the Flying Graysons... or something like that. Maybe even meet the kid just to give him a little screen time. NO ROBIN, of course.

Isn't The Dark Knight supposed to take place in a circus in the final act? They could have a poster in the background somewhere that mentions them.

It's not confirmed, just a rumor. Although that would be the best approach to introduce him besides just showing a Flying Graysons poster.

they will reintroduce robin after the next two movies and it can be done like introduce him at twelve first and then age him as the movie goes on and show bruce training him like batman begins and then at twenty he bcomes robin and you can call the movie batman and robin begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"