Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

You also thought Superman was Bizarro in BvS because of a look he gave Lex and thought OMAC was somehow involved ;)

I bet if you found random pictures of a guy in a suit from the comics a lot of them would resemble Pascal too. And what the heck does Donald Trump have to do with anything?

So is it the contention that somehow Max skips the entire JLI (since no heroes were around in 1984 that we know of least of all enough to form he JLI) and Superbuddies deal and goes straight to villain...even though the so called hard evidence (the blue and gold) is directly a reference to that era? (including the pictures you posted) Seems thin to me :)

Put it this way, the character would have no heft to him. His main character arc would have never happened and the story that leads to his death would never have happened either. It is like having Doomsday but never having him kill Superman. (or having some rando CIA guy named James Olson in BvS) He is then pretty worthless and could be ANY character. Difference is even half of the comic fans probably have zero clue who Max Lord is let alone the average WW moviegoer.

Did you miss where I said I wasn't totally on board the Max train and did say that I thought just because he's in a suit that it doesn't mean it's Max? Cuz I distinctly remember writing that. Multiple times in the post and in the previous thread as well. I also stated in the previous thread that he could be any number of businessman type bad guys like Armbruster who created the post Crisis Silver Swan. You make it out like I'm living and dying by this. I'm giving visual evidence that could back up the idea. That is all.

Donald Trump was brought up because if you cared to read the quote from editor Andy Hefner that was in my post, which I assume you didn't even though it was bolded but still wonder what the connection is, Hefner called Max the Donald Trump of comics in the 80's, and looking at Pascal you would have to be blind to say he doesn't give off 80's Trump vibes.

You also must be confusing me with another poster since I don't use the presence of the colors blue and gold in this specul, which is all this is. Speculation. And one that is measured since again, I haven't said I believe it's Max, just that Pascal in clothing and styling certainly looks a lot like Kevin Maguire era 80's Max.

You also have me mixed up with someone else in the rest of your posts as I actually was not onboard the OMAC train during BvS. If your memory was as good as you think it is you would remember that posters got carried away with trying to create their own rumors and I thought that was silly. I actually did think there was a possibility of Bizarro, because again, I speculate but I don't live and die by it. It's, ya'know, fun to think about logical outcomes based on interpretation of evidence at hand (like the pic that showed a pale looking Cav-el. I didn't know that look was linked to Supes getting a nuke to the face but then... You had to see the movie which none of us had so again... Speculation.) but I don't say "This is all going to happen!" I say "I think this is possible given what we have seen and here's my reasoning."

As for the JLI history you are bringing up... Uh... The films from start, regardless of Donner Supes, to Burton, to Singer X-Men, to Blade, to Raimi Spidey, to the MCU always pick and choose and change and adjust from comics as they see fit. So... Why assume that they couldn't jump right to Max as a bad guy if they wanted to? Did you seriously think that if the character were used they would have to include all his comic history? That's an absurd contention, far more than the idea that they might tap Pascal to play Lord and styled him to look like the character as he was in the 80's.

Last edited:
Looks like Doutzen Kroes, who plays Amazon Venelia, will be coming back for WW84. She posted on her Instagram stories that she's at "The Devil's Horsemen" which is in England and provided the horses for the first WW movie (they provide horses for movie and TV productions.)

http://thedevilshorsemen.com/about-us/

IMG_8498.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/doutzen/

Last edited:
Did you miss where I said I wasn't totally on board the Max train and did say that I thought just because he's in a suit that it doesn't mean it's Max? Cuz I distinctly remember writing that. Multiple times in the post and in the previous thread as well. I also stated in the previous thread that he could be any number of businessman type bad guys like Armbruster who created the post Crisis Silver Swan. You make it out like I'm living and dying by this. I'm giving visual evidence that could back up the idea. That is all.

Donald Trump was brought up because if you cared to read the quote from editor Andy Hefner that was in my post, which I assume you didn't even though it was bolded but still wonder what the connection is, Hefner called Max the Donald Trump of comics in the 80's, and looking at Pascal you would have to be blind to say he doesn't give off 80's Trump vibes.

You also must be confusing me with another poster since I don't use the presence of the colors blue and gold in this specul, which is all this is. Speculation. And one that is measured since again, I haven't said I believe it's Max, just that Pascal in clothing and styling certainly looks a lot like Kevin Maguire era 80's Max.

You also have me mixed up with someone else in the rest of your posts as I actually was not onboard the OMAC train during BvS. If your memory was as good as you think it is you would remember that posters got carried away with trying to create their own rumors and I thought that was silly. I actually did think there was a possibility of Bizarro, because again, I speculate but I don't live and die by it. It's, ya'know, fun to think about logical outcomes based on interpretation of evidence at hand (like the pic that showed a pale looking Cav-el. I didn't know that look was linked to Supes getting a nuke to the face but then... You had to see the movie which none of us had so again... Speculation.) but I don't say "This is all going to happen!" I say "I think this is possible given what we have seen and here's my reasoning."

As for the JLI history you are bringing up... Uh... The films from start, regardless of Donner Supes, to Burton, to Singer X-Men, to Blade, to Raimi Spidey, to the MCU always pick and choose and change and adjust from comics as they see fit. So... Why assume that they couldn't jump right to Max as a bad guy if they wanted to? Did you seriously think that if the character were used they would have to include all his comic history? That's an absurd contention, far more than the idea that they might tap Pascal to play Lord and styled him to look like the character as he was in the 80's.

I just wanted to make sure certain posters didnt think just cause you backed up their ridiculous claims that meant anything. I liked your BvS theories back in the day cause they were crazy and fun :D

I was using your post as a launching pad to prove the rest wrong. I know where you were coming from buddy :)

That said he isnt Maxwell Lord ;)

Looks like Doutzen Kroes, who plays Amazon Venelia, will be coming back for WW84.

Interesting. So, perhaps back to Themyscira we go. Venelia does have cool armour in WW and the present day scenes in Justice League, where she unfortunately met her untimely end.

Hey all, so I'm a little late with this as I wasn't going to delve into the footage they showed at SDCC, however I caved. I watched some YouTube reviews of the footage and I'm a little concerned as the majority of the reveiwers mention it as being "cheesy" and - my worst nightmare - a bit "parody".

Has anyone seen the actual footage? I adored the tone of the first movie and felt it was spot on. I know Patty has said WW84 isn't a sequel and it's a standalone movie which might be her wanting to try something new in terms of tone. However I don't want it to fall into parody territory. Can anyone eleviate my concerns?

It an early, unfinished footage that Patty asked not to leak. People who cannot respect her wishes lose any right to give their opinion here so I wouldn't worry about it

The first movie had scenes that didn't take itself too seriously, the ally scene being one, that can easily be describe as cheesy and parody, it was one of my favorite scenes. I expect WW84 to have a few scenes that don't take itself too seriously.

Can anyone alleviate my concerns?
Patty is distancing herself from the first film, and making an homage to the TV series in tone.

If that alleviates your concerns.

Patty is distancing herself from the first film, and making an homage to the TV series in tone.

If that alleviates your concerns.

I'm not sure that does lol. I think I'm worried it'll end up like that awful TV pilot with Adrianne Palicki. I trust in Patty and as always, will withhold any judgement til I see the final product. I think I'm just on edge because I loved the first movie so much. I watched it again last night and I can never get through the No Man's scene without tearing up a bit.

Interesting. So, perhaps back to Themyscira we go. Venelia does have cool armour in WW and the present day scenes in Justice League, where she unfortunately met her untimely end.

I hope we do see her again (plus the other major Amazons.)

Someone slowed down the JL scenes Venelia was in and said Steppenwolf's axe actually missed her and she's not really dead!

Wait, she could be just visiting them, how does that confirm that she's in WW84 ?

Nothing confirmed. No one said that. But she is now in England, where WW84 production has moved to. Just hoping it's a good sign.

Hey all, so I'm a little late with this as I wasn't going to delve into the footage they showed at SDCC, however I caved. I watched some YouTube reviews of the footage and I'm a little concerned as the majority of the reveiwers mention it as being "cheesy" and - my worst nightmare - a bit "parody".

Has anyone seen the actual footage? I adored the tone of the first movie and felt it was spot on. I know Patty has said WW84 isn't a sequel and it's a standalone movie which might be her wanting to try something new in terms of tone. However I don't want it to fall into parody territory. Can anyone eleviate my concerns?

I think it's a little too early for any doom-and-gloom type worrying. Especially from others who are reviewing from some bootleg footage from SDCC Patty was nice enough to show after only a few weeks of filming.

From what I gather, this movie is just WW in a different time period (obviously) and so highlights that era. Parts of it, from what we've seen filming, will have some surreal aspects, embracing more of the magic and fantasy. But that's not moving further away from the WW mythos, that's going more into it. It's not a war setting. But if rumours are true and we do get a battle scene with thousands of extras (in the Canary Islands) then there is a lot more to it than what we've seen so far. I think it will be different than expected- it won't be more of the first movie.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that does lol. I think I'm worried it'll end up like that awful TV pilot with Adrianne Palicki. I trust in Patty and as always, will withhold any judgement til I see the final product. I think I'm just on edge because I loved the first movie so much. I watched it again last night and I can never get through the No Man's scene without tearing up a bit.

I feel confident in saying it won't :)

I feel confident in saying it won't :)

For one thing I think they've actually read a WW comic. :o

It will be more like this :oldrazz:

[YT]LdAxCeBqBFk[/YT]

It will be more like this
That was so hilarious. If they actually had the guts to go all the way with that, I would not be able to stop laughing. The music was perfect too.
it won't be more of the first movie
I was really hoping for more of the first movie.

Ok, I was hoping for "a continuation and further development" of the first film and its characters. Like, going deeper and building on the base of what had been established.

You know: like a worthy "sequel."

Patty always wanted to make a Wonder Woman film; she pitched it for over a decade as a fun movie which she was going to cast with comedic actors.

Now, when she finally got the nod for the first film, she inherited a ton of stuff: Snyder's dark costumes and dark tone for the DCEU, a script already largely in place, and a leading actress she would never have cast, personally.

Patty injected humor to the script, pushed aside much of the dark tone (but not all), and voilà: the first film was a wonderful mix of Patty and everything she haplessly inherited, and it was just the right recipe.

Now for WW1984, Patty is the golden girl, and she has carte blanche to make whatever film she wants. And she's makkng the film she always wanted to make. She sparkled up the costume, picked her cast from SNL, and is making a feature length Lynda Carter episode.

I just think it would be a shame not to capitalise on what the first movie did. I understand that Patty might want to challenge herself and the audience, but I also don't want to forget the first movie. Like I want to know what happened to Etta, Charlie, Chief etc. I assume there will be some sort of exposition about that when Steve Trevor (or fake Steve Trevor) comes back.

Patty always wanted to make a Wonder Woman film; she pitched it for over a decade as a fun movie which she was going to cast with comedic actors.

Now, when she finally got the nod for the first film, she inherited a ton of stuff: Snyder's dark costumes and dark tone for the DCEU, a script already largely in place, and a leading actress she would never have cast, personally.

Patty injected humor to the script, pushed aside much of the dark tone (but not all), and voilà: the first film was a wonderful mix of Patty and everything she haplessly inherited, and it was just the right recipe.

Now for WW1984, Patty is the golden girl, and she has carte blanche to make whatever film she wants. And she's makkng the film she always wanted to make. She sparkled up the costume, picked her cast from SNL, and is making a feature length Lynda Carter episode.

We don't know exactly what Patty is going to give us yet. It could be like a feature length version of the TV show or that could just be simplifying it way too much.

I have wondered what the movie will be like now that Patty has carte blanche and has had a lot of success and praise. Whether it will become too excessive, or will suffer now that the novelty of the first movie has gone (including in popularity.) A lot of times it can harm a second movie, but it can also create something like Nolan's 'Dark Knight' or 'Captain America: Winter Soldier.'

I just think it would be a shame not to capitalise on what the first movie did. I understand that Patty might want to challenge herself and the audience, but I also don't want to forget the first movie. Like I want to know what happened to Etta, Charlie, Chief etc. I assume there will be some sort of exposition about that when Steve Trevor (or fake Steve Trevor) comes back.

'Captain America: Winter Solider' also moved up in time period, and it did leave behind most of its old cast (except, like WW84, the "dead guy" came back. :cwink:) Some lamented the loss of that but I don't think the movie overall suffered. I thought it was a better and more complex movie than the first one (though I liked both.)

Last edited:
Wow, this thread is now the "process of Patty Jenkins" and no one know nothing about the story of this movie, but for some people is already "cheesy, parody, a step back and patty can't do a sequel"...and no one know the story, the definitive casting (who is Pedro Pascal? who is the other actor casted in this weeks???)and nothing

Wow, this thread is now the "process of Patty Jenkins" and no one know nothing about the story of this movie, but for some people is already "cheesy, parody, a step back and patty can't do a sequel"...and no one know the story, the definitive casting (who is Pedro Pascal? who is the other actor casted in this weeks???)and nothing

I don't think people are saying anything like that. I only mentioned it after watching reviews from people who had seen the SDCC footage who said it looked a bit cheesy and a parody, HOWEVER they did make it clear that it was unedited, out of context footage.

I don't think it's unfair to discuss concerns as well as things we look forward to. No one is bashing anyone or saying it'll be bad. Patty herself has said this movie is not going to be a sequel but a standalone movie... naturally that's going to make people want to discuss what this actually means. I'm the last person to judge something before I've seen it. I've been a Wonder Woman obsessive since I was a little girl and I'm incredibly excited about WW84.

I just hope they don't butcher her awesome themesong from WW and BvS. Her theme in JL was INFURIATING, it's like they intentionally soften it for some reason. I mean thats one of the best superhero themes since Danny Elfman's Batman.

Let's just ignore the negativity and hope for the best. I think Jenkins has earned our trust, right?

Let's just ignore the negativity and hope for the best. I think Jenkins has earned our trust, right?

100%. I love how passionate she is about WW. You can tell she LOVES the character. She won't do us dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"