Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Watched WW84 yesterday, and whilst it wasn't a bad film, I prefer the first instalment a lot more.

I don't know what it was about the sequel for me, maybe it was the wishing element to it, simply because the film is implying that everyone on the planet would've given their wish up, and I'm sorry, but no they wouldn't.

It also seemed like Diana only befriended Barbara after she noticed Barbara had something interesting, which would be a bit shallow on Diana's part.

All the chaos that went on that day, or during those few days, I guess there can't be too much of a focus on it, but wouldn't it have been in the history books? Maybe for Bruce Wayne to reference?

Was hoping Cheetah would somehow stick around too, but that doesn't quite seem possible anymore.

I guess I'll just hold out for WW3. I'm praying it'll get the Thor treatment wherein WW3 will blow the doors off of the first two films and will one of the best solo outings produced by DC (as I believe Ragnarok was for Marvel).

I think the movie is a 7/10 and a clear step down from the first movie. The movie feels like it has two openings and while it may not count as two endings the white house fight feels like the story is coming to a climax only for the movie to really start to build to the ending. I'm not a fan of the lasso swinging because it reminds me two much of Spider Man. Also while some might call this nit picking I don't like how Wonder Woman catches the bullet with the lasso. I think she should have smacked it instead. I just think catching the bullet is on the cartoonish side. I also don't like the lassoing the clouds but I love WW riding the lightning.

Steve coming back is poorly handled in my opnion. Why was he being back in another person's body? You have a guy wish for a farm and cows appear. Now did these cows come from another farm? Did they appear out of thin air? It seems like the way the wish works is basically how the movie needs it to work for at that one moment. Like why does Barbara get two wishes. To me the wishing stone just seems like a lazy device to do what ever the story needs. How do we take WW powers? The WS can do it. How do we turn Barbara into the Cheetah? The WS can do it. How do we bring Steve back? The WS can do it.

Now the WW and Steve issue of WW not moving on from Steve after 70 years to me isn't a issues at all. I mean we're lead to believe WW had never had a relationship like she had with Steve. And something they could have had WW explain to Steve is that everybody she gets close to pass away and reopens the wound that Steve dying left. If you think about it she lost Steve then at some point she started losing the rest of their team and Etta. Not to mention anybody else she befriends.

I'm gonna stop here for now. I just feel like they had a chance to break WW away from the pack and completely dropped the ball.

For those who didn't like the story for WW1984.
Three People wrote that screenplay.
Patty Jenkins
Geoff Johns
Dave Callaham.
So, if you did not like it, it wasn't all Patty & Geoff.

Patty Jenkins
Geoff Johns
Dave Callaham.

Nice try but people will still blame only those two.

So, a new marketing head for WB Studios & HBO Max.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters, BoP and WW84's marketing was not great.

Patty Jenkins
Geoff Johns
Dave Callaham.

Okay
We have have an update on the creative team for Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 2. HollywoodReporter has learned that Patty has brought on Expendables screenwriter David Callaham to pen the sequel. The pair were previously working on an adaptation of Jo Nesbo’s Jackpot as her next project, having an established relationship with David is a good sign Patty is calling the shots.

So, a new marketing head for WB Studios & HBO Max.

I don't really know any of those people but it sounds good to me. If Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom can make 1.3 Billion dollars at the box office then Josh Goldstine is clearly a marketing genius.

Patty Jenkins
Geoff Johns
Dave Callaham.

Do you think Dave Callahan would be getting all the praise if people liked the film. No Patty would be with Geoff getting a little. This is her baby and he was brought on board because she wanted him.

Do you think Dave Callahan would be getting all the praise if people liked the film. No Patty would be with Geoff getting a little. This is her baby and he was brought on board because she wanted him.
Using that line of thinking,Patty deserves FULL CREDIT for the success and quality of the first film, RIGHT?

Last edited:
Using that line of thinking,Patty deserves FULL CREDIT for the success and quality of the first film, RIGHT?

Patty Jenkins deserves a lot of credit for the first film, but the situation between the two films are not the same. The creative process for the first film started before she was even hired as she wasn't even the first director attached to the project. She doesn't have producer, story or writing credits on the first film. By the way, let's not act as if Patty didn't pretty much receive full credit for the success of the first film. Allan Heinberg's name was barely mentioned by people even though he was involved in creating the story and screenplay. Patty fought for FULL CONTROL on the second film and she got it. The success of the first film is what allowed her to receive that full control, a pay raise and backend money for WW84.

Filmmaking is certainly a collaborative effort, but the director usually gets the lionshare of the credit and the blame....and they should. Without the director, you don't have really a true vision of where the movie should go, all you have is words on a screenplay. Its the director's job to put those words, the actors, and those shots and settings into a coherent and enjoyable piece of art. So she deserves all the credit for Wonder Woman and equally she deserves all the blame for Wonder Woman 84.

Wonder Woman 1984 | Film

giphy.gif

Yes and I give/gave it to her. What exactly is your point here?

I am not a Patty hater at all. I may not be a fan of this film but I have said like 30 times I want her directing WW3 she just needs someone saying NO sometimes. (like on the first film)

Patty Jenkins deserves a lot of credit for the first film, but the situation between the two films are not the same. The creative process for the first film started before she was even hired as she wasn't even the first director attached to the project. She doesn't have producer, story or writing credits on the first film. By the way, let's not act as if Patty didn't pretty much receive full credit for the success of the first film. Allan Heinberg's name was barely mentioned by people even though he was involved in creating the story and screenplay. Patty fought for FULL CONTROL on the second film and she got it. The success of the first film is what allowed her to receive that full control, a pay raise and backend money for WW84.

I gotta say...it is weird seeing your posts now and comparing them to before the release. 6 months ago you told me to block you because you were upset they kept moving the film and ticking off Patty and I argued with you about it. What a difference a few months make ;)

I wish you had enjoyed the film more.

I don't know what it was about the sequel for me, maybe it was the wishing element to it, simply because the film is implying that everyone on the planet would've given their wish up, and I'm sorry, but no they wouldn't..

True, but then that's also the same problem I had with the ferry scene in TDK. Not one person on a whole ship full of civilians was a social Darwin type who could see the cold logic in blowing up a competing ship that was full of mass murderers and who would have no compunctions about killing innocent people if it meant saving their own skins? If anything, it's more easy to gloss over in WW84, because at least WW84 has no delusions of it being anything but a fairy tale comic book movie.

The ferry scene is quite a different situation.
First of they are there as a group, anyone going up to take the trigger would have everyone else's eyes on them, everyone would know afterward that they had done it. That creates a kind of pressure that was absent in WW84.
TDK also focused heavily on the idea that Gotham had been inspired by Harvey Dent, that he was a moral leader who people tried to emulate. The idea being that his example weighed on the minds of those in the ferry, disuading them from using the trigger.
And finally there is the sample size, there were hundreds of people on the ferry, but billions in contact with Lord. The odds of getting a bad apple are weighed far more heavily against WW84.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"