Wonder Woman 1984 SPOILER Review Thread

Well, the movie seemed to be made in same spirit as Donner and Lester Superman movies with added look of Lynda Carter's WW series.
Indeed. Right down to Diana losing her powers. Very Donneresque, Superman IIish.

Watched this again and it still holds up for me. It’s not as good as good a sequel the first movie but I still like it a lot and don’t understand a lot of the hate. The first hour could use a trim, but overall the pacing is fine. This is a nostalgia filled, pulpy ride and I think it’s a good sequel to a very good first movie.

Also, Wiig as Cheetah should be no where near a Razzie nomination.

Watched this again and it still holds up for me. It’s not as good as good a sequel the first movie but I still like it a lot and don’t understand a lot of the hate. The first hour could use a trim, but overall the pacing is fine. This is a nostalgia filled, pulpy ride and I think it’s a good sequel to a very good first movie.

Also, Wiig as Cheetah should be no where near a Razzie nomination.
Agreed, the script just needed to go through one more revision, and few scenes were needlessly long, otherwise it's entertaining movie that fits the character of Wonder Woman.

I rented this on Google Film and just a have a few little comments:
  1. Gal is great again.
  2. Max Lord and Barbara are....something. initial reaction is that Pedro and Wiig seemed to be enjoying themselves, but they were almost cardboard cutouts characterisation wise.
  3. Steve Trevor's return has to be the most random thing I've seen in this genre and that's saying something.
  4. That being said, Pine and Gal just make it work again. I couldn't help but smile at them doing their thing.
  5. Steve's second goodbye....I have to give it to them, probably one of the most emotional scenes across the genre I've seen. I was getting emotional at Steve calling out to her.
Ultimately I liked the film. Taking it in earnest, I think what Patty was trying to do here was quite admirable. The film is perfectly fine for me, I don't get the hysteria it caused.

Agreed, the script just needed to go through one more revision, and few scenes were needlessly long, otherwise it's entertaining movie that fits the character of Wonder Woman.

Yep, cut a few things out in that first hour and I think the whole movie flows a bit better, as the last 90 mins or so the pacing is great.

This was just released on my subscribed movie channel.

I actually think quite highly of Wonder Woman and have seen it several times. It’s not perfect; but its many strengths easily outweigh the minor flaws. So there was a good possibility, in my view, that a sequel wouldn’t quite measure up. Indeed, this seemed to be the assessment of most fans and critics: “not as good as the first movie.” But since I was trying to remain spoiler free, I didn’t read any further. Still, I was looking forward to WW84. And as far as I was concerned, not being “as good” as an excellent movie could still be pretty darn good.

Not so in this case, unfortunately. :(

I’ve only read the first few pages of this thread. But most of the criticisms cited reflect my own. I’m tempted to point to a single thing as The Big Problem. The fanciful (sophomoric?) Dreamstone and its “be careful what you wish for” theme. Or perhaps the cartoonish Maxwell Lord and his equally cartoonish Evil Scheme™. But, ultimately, I think it comes down to the aggregation of smaller problems. No single one is fatal. (And, of course, I accept that the fantasy genre will contain fantastical conceits.) But the sheer accumulation of small nits can collapse the willing suspension of disbelief. That was my experience, at any rate.

I will say this: I think Jenkins must be in love (or lust?) with her leading lady. Because Gadot looked absolutely gorgeous in every shot.

I cant stop thinking how brave that movie would be if it was set in the present.
- You could adress present political conflicts like China v USA
- Max could use social media for the final instead of television
- The MeToo-movement could be better adressed for Barbaras plot
I liked WW84 I thought it was equal to the first. But what caught my eye was was Antiope played with empowerment by Robin Wright. This is a brilliant charactor and I was upset when she was killed off in the first film. Could she be brought back? Not back from the grave but by the DC multiverse? Which is something Steven Hawking would recognise as alternative universes.
In the universe we want its 99.9% identical to this one except a tree in the rain forests has a extra leaf so we are good.
Themyscira is invaded by the german marines but Antiope survives and Hippolyta is killed. Diana is distraught but agrees to be crowned Queen. This means Antiope goes back to mans world with Steve Trevor. And so after a tear stained farewell with Menallipe she sets sail to sooty London.
The wonder armour would of course be worn by the General but with modifications like the side skirt panels adapted to take her throwing knives and she would take her sword , the Godkiller not being a super weapon at all so that stays in the amoury tower.
Then 100 years later as humanties defender she takes on a super villian messing with other dimensions and acidently gets sent to 'our ' universe where she meet up with a shocked/delighted Diana. Wonder Women!

Robin Wright may be the most badass female warrior in all CBM for me just thanks to that smirk she has when she rides into battle on Themyscira in the first one. Amazing. I wish we got a whole movie about her and Hippolyta and Amazons history
Yes Robin Wright has THE look to play the General. But how about Katheryn Winnock to play Hippolyta if C.Neillsson is not available. She played Lagatha in Vikings and is well versed in Martial arts and sword and shield fighting. Whats not to like? Plus she would look great in the royal armour and crown.

But how about Katheryn Winnock to play Hippolyta if C.Neillsson is not available.

Connie Nielsen is 5'10"-ish — a good height for an Amazon. Winnick is a fair bit shorter.

Wow ! As someone who enjoyed the original WW film in 2017, I had held off seeing this- and now that I've just seen it I'm really glad I did ( and that I saw it for free). A 4/10 at best, Justice League was rubbish but actually hung together better as story.

Whoever told Patty Jenkins that she could write good stories was dead wrong. It was AWFUL ! I can't believe Geoff Johns had a hand in this, maybe he was drunk or high.

It's like Patty forgot all the things that made WW enjoyable and exciting and instead replaced them with goofy crap aimed at 7 year old girls. The overall wish concept is an interesting one but had to be executed in a competent way - what we saw onscreen simply didn't make sense. The way Steve was brought back is incredibly bizarre and creepy, if you think about it for more than 5 seconds .

Worse still the film was clearly edited by remedial level film students as the third act jumps around all over the place

Gal was still good as Diana, but even she struggled with some of the dreadful writing. Worse still, because the fight scenes are so terribly done Wonder Woman is nowhere near the badass she was in the 2017 film. There's never a moment that even approaches the "No Man's Land" sequence, which still holds up today. Still, she looks absolutely gorgeous and has put on some additional muscle for the film - no matter what happens she has managed to really breathe life into the character, although the script in this film really lets her down.

Wiig wasn't bad as Cheetah, although her final transition made no sense at all, and what happens after her defeat ?

In contrast Pascal's Max Lord was like a pantomime villain - or something from a 60s cartoon, but in a completely cringeworthy way. He was just about unwatchable.

The film's saving grace is Gal and Pine's chemistry, but even that doesn't make up for all it's flaws.

A huge step down from WW.

Last edited:
Patty Jenkins dropped the ball big style here. She got the method right for the first movie. I get maybe she was trying something different for the sequel but you got to remember what worked before.

I watched this film twice on the theater despite covid threat in my country. I love Gadot's WW & wish so much that this film would be a success.

And i understand why Patty said ww84 wasn't a sequel. The tone changed drastically. Vibrant, swordless, focused on the villains, shifted from Diana as fierce yet loving warrior to loving yet troubled protector.

Patty tried too hard to combine Donner's Superman & Linda Carter's WW that it clashes with already established Gadot's WW tone from WW1, BvS, & JL.
And this new tone wasn't supported by the story, the fight scenes, or the payoffs.
The message was deep but the story just not strong enough to back it up.

I wished to love this film but can't. This just almost OK for me. 5.5/10.

One of the CBMs recently finally caught up on a flight. Suffice to say I agree with most criticism and this actually bored me too which CBMs rarely did. 4/10.

I've finally watched the movie for the very first time tonight, here in Italy, aired on prime time. Brilliant and awesome.
And that was the TRUE Wonder Woman. Finally.
1984 is one million light years ahead of Wonder Woman 2017.
It was a superb movie which truly captured the spirit and the essence of the character, as well as the quality of its silver age stories.
Gal Gadot was excellent, and the movie just destroyed the first chapter in terms of direction, plot, screenplay, acting, cinematography, special effects, action pieces.

Also, Wonder Woman 1984 is VASTLY better than:

All 3 Thor movies
Black Panther 1 and 2
The 2 Guardians of the Galaxy movies
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man 1 and 2
Black Widow
Dr. Strange 1
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Raimi's Spider-Man 2 and 3
The 2 Amazing Spider-Man movies

Users who are viewing this thread