• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

WSJ: Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action ‘Legend of Zelda’ Series

luis4u

Superhero
Reaction score
It's the Wall Street Journal so it's very likely accurate, but again, they basically describe it as not carved in stone yet.

“The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a humorous, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.
As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/

My heart and soul were not ready for this.

I'm still confused how LoZ hasn't had a full animated series or movie after all these years.

Me and my friend used to have discussions about whether Legend of Zelda should get a movie series, I was saying it should and he was saying it shouldn't, citing the old cartoon(excuuuuuuse me princess) as a reason why Link should never talk.

I never even thought of a tv series though, and from Netflix? Perfect.

I'm still confused how LoZ hasn't had a full animated series or movie after all these years.

It's because Nintendo is extremely protective of their IP's (especially after the Super Mario Bros. film debacle). As they should be. The WSJ article even warned that this has a long way to go and Nintendo could kill it before it even get's off the ground.

I am excited, though. :D

Zelda is near and dear to my heart and Netflix's description, Game of Thrones for family audiences sound's pretty perfect.

Oh my gosh how exciting! Do you think they'll use the same cast but adapt a games story every series similar to american horror story?

Do you think they'll use asian or mixed actors? I'm so excited! I have so many questions!

I doubt they would use Asian actors since it would be an American production and most characters in Zelda games are caucasian (being based on Elves), not human, or... I guess the Gerudo would be Arabic / Turkic.

Anyone else remember the April Fools day live action trailer that was made a few years back? That was the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title. Such a great (fake) trailer, I hope the show can get close to that.

[YT]HBCzkz3gHb8[/YT]

Me and my friend used to have discussions about whether Legend of Zelda should get a movie series, I was saying it should and he was saying it shouldn't, citing the old cartoon(excuuuuuuse me princess) as a reason why Link should never talk.

I never even thought of a tv series though, and from Netflix? Perfect.

I do not mean to insult your friend but he is a example of Part of Zelda fan Base that think Because some one did it once wrong No one should try to do it again

Because one company that did not have a lot of experience making games did one bad game with bad Animation and bad Voice casting . link should not speak in a game again Seriously seriously seriously

Because one carton series with link haveing an annoying personality
Legend of Zelda must not have another try and link should not have a personality :woo:

Last edited:
Subscribed.

I'm so behind on Zelda games. I bought a Wii a few years back so I could catch up (played nothing since A Link To The Past), loaned it to my dad so he could try Netflix, and haven't seen it since.

I hope they try to make it more like Legend.

[YT]3hvjSlbtzuM[/YT]

Legend of Zelda Movie Pitch

Superannuation (via Kotaku) recently discovered a 2007 CGI Legend of Zelda movie pitch from Imagi Animation Studios.

Imagi Animation Studios was also behind the 2007 CGI movie TMNT and 2009's Astro Boy. The company's American office, creator of the Zelda clip, has since closed.

As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

All the more reason to cast Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Link!!! :) I don't watch the show (don't get cable) but saw him in The Maze Runner and thought he'd be perfect as Link.

I wonder if they'd be British or American.

Link with an American accent would be interesting.

I wonder if they'd be British or American.

Link with an American accent would be interesting.

Go British or another European accent. For whatever reason, whenever I hear an American accent in a fantasy epic, it just takes me out of it.

Anyway, SO stoked for this. Please, PLEASE let this happen, Nintendo. Or, if it doesn't happen, then switch gears and make a Nintendo movie. I've waited my entire life for this.

Wow I thought more people on here would be excited about this or at least I thought there would be more conversation.

I know I'm excited. A ton of potential here.

Let's see if this gets off the ground before we get too excited.

Lets see if the creators are audacious, bold and creative enough to make Link a mute and have the character emote simply with his face and his mannerisms as well as have him be engaging and charming without having to say a word. They'd have to find a truly talented teenage actor though so that might be a pretty large hurdle to get over.

If they could do that it would really be something special to me. Chances are that if the series does ever get off the ground hell be able to speak, but itd be cool if they decided to do it differently.

They would probably make him a Clint eastwood like role and just make him a man of few words

Anyone else remember the April Fools day live action trailer that was made a few years back? That was the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title. Such a great (fake) trailer, I hope the show can get close to that.
Except for Link. Wrong actor, wrong looks.
Link is younger, and blond. Period!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"