X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

Yall, remember this is the NON-SPOILER Thread! You need to TAG in here! Use the dedicated thread I made for the finale to discuss without the need for Spoiler Tagging. Seriously guys, this is 3rd week in a row I have had to post a similar message and we have the notification that's been added about Spoiler Tagging. There is no excuse
Apologies. Wasn’t trying to be subordinate. Just made an honest mistake about forgetting to put that in spoilers. I wasn’t even thinking about it when I posted it, so thank you for reminding me. I’ll remember that next time.

So Logan gets a rebound with Mary Jane, I see. :o

GMngj3PXsAA8ryD

How can you not want spin-offs? :weeping:

Source

Do you want to see Sinister adopt the persona of his Gillen incarnation down the line?

Why does Val Cooper sometimes sound like Grace Randolph?

Do you want to see Sinister adopt the persona of his Gillen incarnation down the line?
Absolutely. Evil scientist Sinister is great, but if they're using him again after this, I'd love for them to go that route.

On a side note, Morph is just giving us a glimpse of how queer characters are and will be treated. We know they are nonbinary because someone said in press interview. But the characters never really expressed their queer identity.

But isn't that like saying it's not enough for someone to be queer, for it to just be a simple matter of fact; instead they have to "act" queer and thus prove their queer credentials otherwise they're not queer enough?
No.

Reducing a character's whole identity into being queer is one thing. Having a character never expressing their queer identity is a completely different thing.

For the general audience who does not follow press interviews, they will never know Morph is nonbinary.

This is just a form a of vailed bigotry and censorship.

I disagree. We've already seen Morph express an attraction to Wolverine in episode 3 so it has been established that Morph isn't straight.

You say the general audience wouldn't know that Morph is nonbinary, why? Because he doesn't "act" like it?

Chances are high that they'll give Morph a male love interest down the line and they're already planting the seeds to show that Morph is attracted to men eg episode 3, but that doesn't mean Morph has to behave in a stereotypical fashion to "express" a queer identity. How is Morph supposed to "express" a queer identity if being queer in itself isn't enough?

No one is arguing Morph has to act more stereotypically queer, whatever that would even mean for a nonbinary character. The pronouns are they/them btw, Morph isn't a "he" and that's the entire point. Morph's sexuality, that's the part we don't know much about, even through supplementary materials. There's a hint of a flirtation towards Wolverine from Morph, but it's subtle enough that people who don't want to register it don't have to, and that's Disney's approach to queer representation in a nutshell. There's a ton of dating and representations of heterosexuality in this show, it doesn't seem like a creative decision from this team to almost entirely exclude queerness from it. I love Morph, and I'm generally very happy with the way they're approached in this show, but that doesn't change the fact that their gender identity is treated at best as corporate lip service. What else could it be if the only people who even know about their identity are people who've followed the show religiously and "gender critical" circles on Twitter? This isn't an issue of how this character is represented in the show, but the lack of acknowledgement. Disney is having their cake and eating it too, which is all too familiar.

I love, love, love X-Men 97, but this part of the show is still very 90s. IMO, X-Men has moved past being a metaphor for minorities, there should be no issue including actual minorities in the program. Like Sunspot coming out to his mother as a mutant. Super cool, I loved that scene in X2, but that was 20 years ago. You can have that AND actual representation.

I know but given that Morph is predominately male presenting. it's a way for the show to establish them as not straight. If they showed them attracted to women without showing Morph also attracted to men, it makes them look strictly heterosexual.
This is just a statement of how terrible and confusing Morph's representation is.

Morph is non-binary.

Gender identity and sexual orientation are two different things.

WARNING: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PURPOSELY MISGENDERING OTHER PEOPLE TO WIN AN ARGUMENT AND DON'T PUSHBACK AGAINST OTHERS WHO ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO YOU HOW THEIR COMMUNITY WORKS.

Screencrush and their Xmen 97 its all connected videos are getting more and more desperate and cringey.I know they are desperate for content..but still..

I want to see these 2.

images

Actually the whole 80s Mystique's brotherhood.

For a future season, give me a whole dramatic ass episode solely about Raven/Destiny/Rogue/Kurt and adapt the retcon about them being his actual parents.

• Love
Reactions: Lip

Users who are viewing this thread

• Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kimcity
    Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"