8.04 - Instinct - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I'm under the impression she'll be back....she was a great character for them to explore.

Yea i hope she does come back, i thought she was a very good character and ms sullivan acted well. And if they want to adapt something from the comics they can have her take on doomsday during second half of the season.

One thing I do love about the show, is it has created its own cohesive DC universe that centers on Clark and his journey. They love to dabble in alternate versions of those DC characters, and I enjoy every time they bring back a hero/villian after they introduce them.

I'm still holding out hope we'll see Lobo before the show ends. :up:

An episode along the lines of "The Main Man" would be awesome. :D

Still catching up with... life, but I did just read this and I liked it. As usual, there are one or two points in there that I don't really agree with :p, but overall, a nicely done review. I love the commentary about the wigs and make-up. I agree, the make-up this year has been a bit heavier than usual. I didn't mind it for Maxima so much, but occasionally the regulars are a bit overdone.

Maxima's wig looked like it came from a Halloween shop :D

Yeah, Erica's make-up shouldn't have looked that heavy in the barn loft scene with Tom.

Too much.

She's a beautiful woman and doesn't need a lot of make-up, it's not like she has bad skin or something...

Great review as always Trip. You have a fantastic way with words. :up:

Thanks!

Great review trip:

"Charlotte made Maxima a complete delight to watch and she even gave what could have been a very campy character some depth."

This is the only part of the review that I have to disagree with: I've never considered Maxima campy, and have never seen her represented in live action before. She may have the horny bug for Superman, but there was so much more to her character. From comics to TAS, Maxima may have been a bit of a Veruca Salt, but that's also been tied in with her also having to be the ultimate warrior queen and defender of her planet.

To be honest, I think the portrayal of her on this show actually added to campiness than anything else. By focusing more on her spoiled horny princess side, rather than focussing on her stronger warrior queen 'princess Leia' side, they really detracted from an otherwise non campy character. Moreover, to have a character like her on the show, whose role closely mimics Superman's on Earth (ie. the lead planatary defender), it would have been nice for them to also play on the aspects of being that sole defender and the lonelyness that goes along with that etc etc.

But alas, they focused on the Kryptonian Sperm Hunt, rather than what she's really about.

otherwise, the review is great

Well, I was talking about the possibility of *this* portrayal getting campy, not the comic version being campy.

I haven't read any comics with Maxima in them so I have no idea how she's treated in the comics.

I thought they'd treated her with a lot of respect given her main goal was to basically do it a like a bunny with Clark...

I suspect if she does come back, we'll learn more about her character. We didn't really learn much, really, about her.

The men on her planet aren't in her league physically and she's on the search for her soulmate and that she's a queen.

Other than that, we don't know much about her, so I'm looking forward to seeing more from her. Especially if they choose to emphasize her similar role to Clark's as the savior of her planet.

That might make her more appealing to Clark and help him to forget why she killed so many in her search for him...

Especially Erica. She looks amazing in interviews when her makeup is a bit more subtle.

Yep. Exactly.

:up:

Well, I was talking about the possibility of *this* portrayal getting campy, not the comic version being campy.

I haven't read any comics with Maxima in them so I have no idea how she's treated in the comics.

I thought they'd treated her with a lot of respect given her main goal was to basically do it a like a bunny with Clark...

I suspect if she does come back, we'll learn more about her character. We didn't really learn much, really, about her.

The men on her planet aren't in her league physically and she's on the search for her soulmate and that she's a queen.

Other than that, we don't know much about her, so I'm looking forward to seeing more from her. Especially if they choose to emphasize her similar role to Clark's as the savior of her planet.

That might make her more appealing to Clark and help him to forget why she killed so many in her search for him...

Yep. Exactly.

:up:

Indeed, I guess it could have been way worse, but it was good, but like always, could have been a little better.

I was just thinking, this episode is one of those special ones where they could have used the four letter F-Word as a non derogatory word. Found.Under.Carnal.Knowledge is an old legal charge, today's translation: 'your busted for soliciting a prostitute'

Yeah, Erica's make-up shouldn't have looked that heavy in the barn loft scene with Tom.

Too much.

She's a beautiful woman and doesn't need a lot of make-up, it's not like she has bad skin or something...

Thanks!

As much as I agree with you about how she should look. I'm fairly certainly it's purposely done as a way to emphasize Lois' character. Lets face it, in reality Erica is kinda soft and sweet, and when she's not on the show, her makeup reflects that. But Lois is brash and crass. It kind of goes with her character the way she doesn't come off as soft and subtle. That's just not how she acts.

I hates it, but it's one of those necessary evils.

Well, I thik this episode was meh. There were good things of course, but just meh. I didn't buy the Maxima stuff.
I don't remember where we were talking about Jimmy, on these boards few days ago, and speaking of Jimmy, I think he was good and well treated in this episode.
The only think that keeps being great is Erica Durance. I don't see her anymore, I just can see Lois Lane. She's perfect. I don't know if it comes naturally or if she works pretty hard (or both), but she is wonderful and keeps being great! :up:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"