8.02 - Plastique - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I brought this point up when they first announced the guy playing Doomsday will be a human and love interest in the show. I dont think they want monsters, they look at it as "The O.C." with superpowers. I love the show but they dont put much effort into the villains.

Maybe if we're lucky he'll do a quick 2 second morph into the monster everybody knows ala Bizzarro.

as I said, they've cheaped out. Bizarro is acceptable, in any format, he is a cheap out villain, no matter how much effort they try and put into it. It's Bizarro, I mean come on. There's nothing cheaper than a clone of your main character, from a narrative or production point of view.

I'm just sayin that it is well within there abilities to deliver a huge monster, even though in the past, they have pretty boyed up all the villains.

Stray, Red, Ryan, Rush, Fever, Extinction, Shattered, Asylum, Obsession, Memoria (possibly excluded because of the Lara reveal), Transference, Scare, Unsafe, Krypto, Onyx, Blank... This is just the first 4 seasons, but all of those for example are as good or better than Plastique, and weren't premiers and had nothing to do with clark getting a power or his future as superman, really.

sorry, except for Ryan... Red...., Krytpo...Memoria. Those all had to do with direct reference to superman.

What that doomsday?
Are they going to show doomsday?
That girl with the fir power is part of the legion of doom?

That's debateable. ;) I would have preferred that they'd made Lois a lead this season, and kept Chloe as supporting, but whatever.

Chloe is a Smallville creation, sort of speak and so, I can understand why the PTB upgraded the character from supporting to a lead character.

I preferer Lois as well but with Chloe knowing Clark's secret, it's easier for PTB to write the episodes having Chloe interact with Clark and the JL, I guess.

I'm really glad that SV has dealt with such major changes in their foundation, and are still hitting the ground running with stories and characters that are clearly advancing the show. I'm excited about every season though. :D

Especially this season, agreed.

What that doomsday?
Are they going to show doomsday?
That girl with the fir power is part of the legion of doom?
Davis is Doomday.
Not sure if we will see he's true form. We better:cmad:
I don't believe Bette Sans Souci has been apart of Legion Of Doom. I'm very interested to see this whole team aspect. They better have a showdown with JLA.

Did anyone else think that the writing and dialog on this episode was at an absolute low for the entire series?

Holy **** everything was so cliche and predictable, I really hope the rest of the season isn't like this.

Did anyone else think that the writing and dialog on this episode was at an absolute low for the entire series?

Holy **** everything was so cliche and predictable, I really hope the rest of the season isn't like this.
I wasn't a huge fan of Tess's dialog. I always felt Michael had the best dialog in the show and he delivered it very well. I miss Lex:csad:

I thought this was a great episode. Smallville's really taken a better turn, and is back in full-on watchable mode. I thought that Plastique layed it on a bit too strong with the spunky punk girl additude, but besides that, I had a blast watching it.

I'm really wondering what's going to happen with Doomsday here. I don't know enough about Superman to care that he's probably waaay off on the true origin of Doomsday, but they can pretty much take him any direction, and I hope it goes good. They've got a great actor doing the role, which helps.

I would have preferred that they'd made Lois a lead this season, and kept Chloe as supporting, but whatever.
Could the new credit order be a result of the negotiations necessary to get Mack to re-up her contract this year? Remember, they did the same thing with Rosey last season (swapped credit order with Kreuk.) It could also be due to Mack having a longer tenure with the show, not to mention amount of episodes signed to do. Durance is contracted for 13, though it could go more. Mack is probably contracted for the full 22. I really don't think it has anything to do with character importance/relevance, but I've been wrong before LOL.

I'm really glad that SV has dealt with such major changes in their foundation, and are still hitting the ground running with stories and characters that are clearly advancing the show.
I love how it's reinvented itself this year. If feels like a whole new show - a better show. Clark's a hair's breath this side of Superman, Lois is doing her reporter thing, and there are enough antagonists to capsize an ocean liner. The budding romance between Clark and Lois is fresh, and it has that meet-cute, one-upmanship flavor that's very comedic. I'm finding it hella entertaining, and I absolutely adore the "new" Clark. Yes, yes, I'm a happy SV camper, once again. :D

Listing episodes isn't gonna help you convince me friend... I've seen them all. This episode is specifically memorable, because although nothing fantastic in it happened, nothing absolutely awe inspiringly stupid happened either... which is a weakness of many of those episodes. That's why I put plastique up near the top. Although it's not better than other episodes, what it has in it's corner, is there was nothing idiotic in the episode.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you've obviously got a pretty cemented opinion. Trying to change that would be a waste of time and effort. I'm simply saying that an episode doesn't have to be mythos based or a premier to be great.

sorry, except for Ryan... Red...., Krytpo...Memoria. Those all had to do with direct reference to superman.

Allusions to the character of superman don't count. Or else you would have to exclude 90% of the episodes, because they very often make backhanded references. the only one that has anything solid to do with the actual mythos surrounding the character is Memoria, and that's just because of the scene where he remembers Lara. Krypto doesn't count, because it's just a clever nod that he wanted to name shelby Krypto. It's not actually the superdog. Ryan besides mentioning warrior angel and Clark being heroic, had nothing to do with the superman character. Finally, there's Red.... I suppose it can be excluded because of it being the first time he learned about Red Kryptonite. Since I did exclude all of the episodes where he discovered his powers. But it didn't have an "direct references to superman" in it.

Could the new credit order be a result of the negotiations necessary to get Mack to re-up her contract this year? Remember, they did the same thing with Rosey last season (swapped credit order with Kreuk.) It could also be due to Mack having a longer tenure with the show, not to mention amount of episodes signed to do. Durance is contracted for 13, though it could go more. Mack is probably contracted for the full 22. I really don't think it has anything to do with character importance/relevance, but I've been wrong before LOL.

I did hear in one of the interviews (I can't remember if it was Erica or one of the EP's) that Erica will most likely be appearing in more than her contracted minimum of 13. I wonder if the audience feedback on the new Clark and Lois relationship will be part of the deciding factor in exactly how many?

Yes, Allison is contracted for the full boat. :dry: :p

I love how it's reinvented itself this year. If feels like a whole new show - a better show. Clark's a hair's breath this side of Superman, Lois is doing her reporter thing, and there are enough antagonists to capsize an ocean liner. The budding romance between Clark and Lois is fresh, and it has that meet-cute, one-upmanship flavor that's very comedic. I'm finding it hella entertaining, and I absolutely adore the "new" Clark. Yes, yes, I'm a happy SV camper, once again. :D

Didn't Erica come after Allison last season? I don't remember

Well, I bet she just really enjoys her work, either that or she's staying to prevent the potential mass suicide of chlarkers if she left the show) :p

I did hear in one of the interviews (I can't remember if it was Erica or one of the EP's) that Erica will most likely be appearing in more than her contracted minimum of 13. I wonder if the audience feedback on the new Clark and Lois relationship will be part of the deciding factor in exactly how many?

In all seriousness, with Clark having a full time job at the Planet, working right across from Lois, I don't see how they could not put her in the majority of episodes....

^ the same way they wrote Margot Kidder out of the majority of Superman III...she's off "on assignment" :D

In all seriousness, with Clark having a full time job at the Planet, working right across from Lois, I don't see how they could not put her in the majority of episodes....

LOTS of out of town assignments for Ms. Lane perhaps. :csad:

I think it's great that they have separate gigs. Having them doing stuff together off the bat might be a bit too rushed - rushed... yeah, exactly the right word... considering this all should've happened 2-4 seasons ago. Lois fixing Clark up with a trainer's spot on the DP, or something.

Why is it that I can't think about Smallville and not think about how things should've been done.

LOTS of out of town assignments for Ms. Lane perhaps. :csad:
Well not every episode necessarily has to take place at the DP. Clark could be out doing something on a non-work day r after work or something like that where the episode doesn't need to focus on him at work.

Late to the party, but was I the only one thinking the Metropolis General hospital sets/Davis being a paramedic instead of a bartender was because of Justin Hartley's paramedic pilot not being picked up?
I mention it because I hadn't seen that theory floating around here.

Yup, it was in her interview with Matt @ TV Guide, she said they are definitely giving her more than her usual 13, but shes not sure how many... I would hope that its definitely more, since shes already in 8 of the first 10 episodes.

i m glad they made davis bloome Pramadeic instead of freaking bartender

it makes sense him to be paramdeic and IRONY of that

so davis is 27 year old it suits his age and profession too

Listing episodes isn't gonna help you convince me friend... I've seen them all. This episode is specifically memorable, because although nothing fantastic in it happened, nothing absolutely awe inspiringly stupid happened either... which is a weakness of many of those episodes. That's why I put plastique up near the top. Although it's not better than other episodes, what it has in it's corner, is there was nothing idiotic in the episode.

I for one thought it was pretty idiotic of Tess to corner Bette in a public enclosed space like that, given her powers, :)

I for one thought it was pretty idiotic of Tess to corner Bette in a public enclosed space like that, given her powers, :)

I think that depends on if she knew her personality, or if she just knew of her powers. Tess likely thought that there's no way Bette would endanger the lives of however many people were on that bus. Not to mention openly display powers in town like that.

It's one thing to have a couple people after you. It's another to have an entire city gunning for you. Especially one the size of Metropolis.

Well not every episode necessarily has to take place at the DP. Clark could be out doing something on a non-work day r after work or something like that where the episode doesn't need to focus on him at work.

Lets not forget little side episodes like Ollie's adventure this week. Even if Lois IS in this one, an episode like that doesn't necessarily warrant her being there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"