8.02 - Plastique - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I think that depends on if she knew her personality, or if she just knew of her powers. Tess likely thought that there's no way Bette would endanger the lives of however many people were on that bus. Not to mention openly display powers in town like that.

It's one thing to have a couple people after you. It's another to have an entire city gunning for you. Especially one the size of Metropolis.

Nah, i don't buy that, since she knew exactly what to say to her at the end of the episode to get her to join her team. And she should've known her power are probably triggered by emotions, like is the case with most superpowers and if frightened enough her powers might activate even without her control. Engaging her on a bus is stupid, as evidenced by the fact that an accident did indeed take place.

I for one thought it was pretty idiotic of Tess to corner Bette in a public enclosed space like that, given her powers, :)

that depends on what happened on the bus. Maybe Tess doesn't give a crap about the other people on the bus (which would fit the villain character) and Tess certainly has a power of somesort, which may have been why she wasn't at all shaken up by the experience. It all really depends on wether Tess was in danger or not

Last edited:
I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you've obviously got a pretty cemented opinion. Trying to change that would be a waste of time and effort. I'm simply saying that an episode doesn't have to be mythos based or a premier to be great.

I agree, but none of those you mentioned were great, they were just better because they actually stuck to something a little more superman, and a little less teen drama. They were better episodes of smallville, but not great.

I'd still put this one above them, because it didn't feel like a cheap attempt to make a 'teen drama' into a 'superman teen drama'. It just occured, without the need to tack on stuff to make the actual episode jive. (it's hard to explain). If you took the superman out of Plastique, it would have been a decent episode. But if you had taken the superman out of those other episodes, you'd have been left over with a dawsons creek, only with the narrative quality of a saved by the bell.

Late to the party, but was I the only one thinking the Metropolis General hospital sets/Davis being a paramedic instead of a bartender was because of Justin Hartley's paramedic pilot not being picked up?
I mention it because I hadn't seen that theory floating around here.

Not sure but the Metropolis Hospital set was the old Smallville Hospital set just with some yellow paint.

Nah, i don't buy that, since she knew exactly what to say to her at the end of the episode to get her to join her team. And she should've known her power are probably triggered by emotions, like is the case with most superpowers and if frightened enough her powers might activate even without her control. Engaging her on a bus is stupid, as evidenced by the fact that an accident did indeed take place.

Maybe but it was nice to see Clark save people in Metropolis and it harkened back to the first time he saved someone in Metropolis and stopped a bus, except that time he got scared and ran, and Clark met Tess by saving her, paralleling him saving Lex, so I'm glad she did corner her on a bus.

First off, 8.02 was tons better than the premiere. I sat through most of 8.01 complaining about how they had extraneous dialogue (e.g. "Where are you, Clark?") and how badly written it was in general. 8.02, on the other hand, was pretty good.

"for a man without a uniform you saved a lot of people" :D
Yes this episode was awesome, it looked good. The scene with Davis and Clark in the hospital hall was funny, especially when Clark had the look on his face about the engagment.
i m glad they made davis bloome Pramadeic instead of freaking bartender
it makes sense him to be paramdeic and IRONY of that
so davis is 27 year old it suits his age and profession too

Having Davis as a paramedic makes the whole Doomsday thing ironic; it sets Davis up as a more serious, likable, intelligent, empathetic character than some cool dude who works in a bar. Sam Witwer is doing a great job so far, and I like Davis' interactions with Chloe and Clark.

What I don't get is why did Lois nearly disolve in a puddle of her own saliva when she saw Clark coming out of the phone booth in a shirt. I mean she saw him naked for crying out loud.

Yes, she did, a long time ago. She obviously doesn't think about that day-in, day-out, and she obviously isn't turned on by his flannels. Why did she "dissolve," as you say (nice choice of words, BTW)? Because he looked amazing in the new (borrowed) work outfit - as good as Kal in the black shirts, but without the "wicked" side that we got from those eps. That's a wonderful shade of blue on him and makes his eyes look a lot bluer than they really are. I'm sure it was intentional.

Also, this version of L&C is clearly making Clark an office hottie. Both Tess and her blonde assistant commented on Clark's looks and there will probably be others. Wonder if he'll have to go dorky either in the office or as Supes to make himself less recognizable.

Hope he cleans the shirt well before giving it back to his coworker... Looked like some serious grease stains.

I love how it's reinvented itself this year. If feels like a whole new show - a better show. Clark's a hair's breath this side of Superman, Lois is doing her reporter thing, and there are enough antagonists to capsize an ocean liner. The budding romance between Clark and Lois is fresh, and it has that meet-cute, one-upmanship flavor that's very comedic. I'm finding it hella entertaining, and I absolutely adore the "new" Clark. Yes, yes, I'm a happy SV camper, once again. :D

Yep, I'm pretty much in your boat. Don't think Cassidy's Tess is as strong and menacing as it could be, but she has potential. Too much heavy makeup isn't impressing me - I think it makes her look like a younger woman playing dress-up.

that depends on what happened on the bus. Maybe Tess doesn't give a crap about the other people on the bus (which would fit the villain character) and Tess certainly has a power of somesort, which may have been why she wasn't at all shaken up by the experience. It all really depends on wether Tess was in danger or not

A good call here. Wonder what sort of power... Fire shield? She could have smudged herself on purpose after the blast. Mind control? Maybe she shot herself up with some of that Moira spinal tap.

Small beef (or lack thereof):
intro - Ollie looking buff
8.01 - get to see plenty of A.C. :grin:
Clark in the intro? 8.01? 8.02? Nada. :sad:

Last edited:
Late to the party, but was I the only one thinking the Metropolis General hospital sets/Davis being a paramedic instead of a bartender was because of Justin Hartley's paramedic pilot not being picked up?
I mention it because I hadn't seen that theory floating around here.
Actually, they originally had Bloome working as a bartender in the Ace of Clubs, which was really just the Oliver's apartment set arranged differently. But once they signed Hartley as a series regular, they realized that they were gonna need the set again as his house so they removed the whole club design and turned the set back into his house. So they turned Bloome into a paramedic because all they had to do was re-design the Smallville Medical Center to make it look like Metropolis General. It was done more as a way to save money by slightly changing a set and not having to change it back to what it once was. It's the same thing that happened to the Cave set which was later turned into the Fortess set.

Yes, she did, a long time ago. She obviously doesn't think about that day-in, day-out, and she obviously isn't turned on by his flannels. Why did she "dissolve," as you say (nice choice of words, BTW)? Because he looked amazing in the new (borrowed) work outfit - as good as Kal in the black shirts, but without the "wicked" side that we got from those eps. That's a wonderful shade of blue on him and makes his eyes look a lot bluer than they really are. I'm sure it was intentional.

Also, this version of L&C is clearly making Clark an office hottie. Both Tess and her blonde assistant commented on Clark's looks and there will probably be others. Wonder if he'll have to go dorky either in the office or as Supes to make himself less recognizable.

Hope he cleans the shirt well before giving it back to his coworker... Looked like some serious grease stains.

Just felt it was a tad forced that Lois is all "smallville this and smallville that, you big dork, what a farmboy' and then the minute he puts on a nice shirt (who by the way looks to be the same color of tshirts he usually wears) she's all "humina-humina-humina-humina!", she's seen him naked, she's seen him in a tux (because they went to prom together). She must've realised Clark is gorgeus by now. If anything, it will be his heart and his personality that she should fall for, not his looks.

Just felt it was a tad forced that Lois is all "smallville this and smallville that, you big dork, what a farmboy' and then the minute he puts on a nice shirt (who by the way looks to be the same color of tshirts he usually wears) she's all "humina-humina-humina-humina!", she's seen him naked, she's seen him in a tux (because they went to prom together). She must've realised Clark is gorgeus by now. If anything, it will be his heart and his personality that she should fall for, not his looks.
I think was prevented all this was that both of them always had somebody else on their mind in a romantic scene. Clark always had Lana on his mind, and that short time that he was with Alicia in season 4. Along with that, Lois stood away from him at first because she knew Chloe had strong feelings for him and she wanted the two of them to get together at one point. But that all changed once Chloe got Jimmy, now Lois doesn't have to worry about her cousin being hurt by Clark since it shouldn't matter to Chloe now who he's with.

Same with Lois. She was hardly around in season 4, but then she got with A.C. for a moment and that meteor freak, Graham, in season 5. Season 6 she was with Oliver and wasn't really over him when he left.

During all that time, Clark and Lois had become a sort of friends who slowly started to care about each other a lot when they see what the person really has to go through in life, aside from the strong face that they put up for everyone. In fact they were always there to console each other about bad relationship after bad relationship. But by the end of season 7, both Clark and Lois were left alone with their own relationships woes, and with no one else around, along with the fact that they are now starting to spend more time with each other at work, they're starting to see that the person across from them isn't so bad after all, and may be the person they were looking for for so long.

Last edited:
The plot of this episode was typical Smallville freak trash.

However, the show is much better with a "Superman" vibe to it. The Lois/Clark relationship is pretty fun to watch, and I actually care about this romance, instead of cringing when Lana comes onscreen. Lois/Clark working desk to desk at the Daily Planet, CLark having to sneak away to be the hero. Lois with the darker hair, being more Lois-like. No more 'Smallville farm' garbage. It's starting to feel a lot like Suuuuuperman

Now, you gotta admit that Tom looked DAMN good in that shirt.

Yeah, it was pretty much the same color as T-shirts he'd worn before, but that was a fitted athletic cut shirt that showed off his physique perfectly.

Although I don't buy some random dude's shirt fitting the man mountain that is Tom that well... It was obviously custom tailored to fit Tom, it fit him that well.

It clearly wasn't just some off-the-rack poly blend shirt from Walmart....

I would think that Clark looking that good in that shirt, when before all Lois had seen him in were shapeless and baggy t-shirts and jackets, might believably get her attention...

Last edited:
I for one thought it was pretty idiotic of Tess to corner Bette in a public enclosed space like that, given her powers, :)

I agree. But isn't that the nature of her character. She's not smooth like Lex. Something she hinted to Lois during the premeire. I think she's a little more strait forward and won't play the cat and mouse game like Lex seemed to do.

correct me if I'm wrong but I didnt think Plastique could really do much harm unless there was something flammable/combustible around for her to ignite? On the bus, she had the gas tank obviously, but at the end with Tess it looked like she was just in a holding cell of some sort, then again wasnt it on the back of an 18 wheeler?

correct me if I'm wrong but I didnt think Plastique could really do much harm unless there was something flammable/combustible around for her to ignite? On the bus, she had the gas tank obviously, but at the end with Tess it looked like she was just in a holding cell of some sort, then again wasnt it on the back of an 18 wheeler?

Well, she did blow up Chloe's phone and I guess the phone battery might actually explode if heated. In the alley where she and Clark chased down her ex-boyfriend or something she made some barrels explode - which I suppose contained... something. It wasn't fuel or oil judging from the explosion.

maybe I wasn't paying attention, but didn't she throw a fireball at chloe which proceeded to bounce off of clark?

Idk but the way I saw it, when Chloe was falling down the stairs and Bette was about to blow her up, it looked more like a form of heat vision in the form of a fireball type thing. And I don't think Chloe's body had anything explosion inside of her.

Now, you gotta admit that Tom looked DAMN good in that shirt.

Yeah, it was pretty much the same color as T-shirts he'd worn before, but that was a fitted athletic cut shirt that showed off his physique perfectly.

Although I don't buy some random dude's shirt fitting the man mountain that is Tom that well... It was obviously custom tailored to fit Tom, it fit him that well.

It clearly wasn't just some off-the-rack poly blend shirt from Walmart....

I would think that Clark looking that good in that shirt, when before all Lois had seen him in were shapeless and baggy t-shirts and jackets, might believably get her attention...

But she HAS seen him better dressed. She's seen him naked AND in a tux and in a leather jacket and in a bathing suit and he's seen her doing striptease and naked I think since he walked in on her taking a shower once. I'm just saying that we're a bit passed this whole: "Gosh... You're so dreeeeeeeamy!" phase in their relationship. They just put that scene in to hammer in the point that the dynamic in their relationship has changed, but I prefer instances when Lois is comforting Clark or vice versa to these cheap, old fashion, CORNY as hell story devices. :)

But she HAS seen him better dressed. She's seen him naked AND in a tux and in a leather jacket and in a bathing suit and he's seen her doing striptease and naked I think since he walked in on her taking a shower once. I'm just saying that we're a bit passed this whole: "Gosh... You're so dreeeeeeeamy!" phase in their relationship. :whatever:

She wasn't ready to see him in this new light...

He's more adult now, before she might have just been seeing him as just a kid her cousin knows....

It didn't bother me at all.

I thought he looked like a million bucks in that shirt.

He looked good in the tux and suits she'd seen him in before, but nothing he'd ever worn before had ever showed his figure off as well as that shirt.

I can't say much about the nakedness and bathing suit not doing anything for her, but those episodes were three years ago in season 5. She didn't see him as a viable candidate for dating back then.

It would seem that her mindset had changed....

*shrug*

I'm going with it mostly because I can't complain about the results.

I'm ecstatic that Tom is wearing more grown-up clothing and the jeans and baggy t-shirts are largely behind him.

We should all send the new Costume Designer, Melanie Williams, thank you cards....

But she HAS seen him better dressed. She's seen him naked AND in a tux and in a leather jacket and in a bathing suit and he's seen her doing striptease and naked I think since he walked in on her taking a shower once. I'm just saying that we're a bit passed this whole: "Gosh... You're so dreeeeeeeamy!" phase in their relationship. They just put that scene in to hammer in the point that the dynamic in their relationship has changed, but I prefer instances when Lois is comforting Clark or vice versa to these cheap, old fashion, CORNY as hell story devices. :)
Well IMO, this is just more proof as to why Lois and Clark is a real relationship that will actually work out and never end, as opposed to many of the other relationships that happened on the show. They both know already know that the other is a pretty attracting person physical, and the closeness that they've been given these past few seasons show that they also know that the person is attractive on the inside. What they're doing now is showing that Lois is starting to put 2 and 2 together and is starting to realize that Clark might be the guy she's always wanted after all.

And this whole relationship didn't just happen in Plastique. The final shot of Lois in Odyssey shows that she is starting to consider Clark in a new way, especially after his more confidence attitude and heroic displays in the season premiere. She's finally starting to look past that farm boy that she thought she once knew, and starting to see who is really is underneath.

Idk but the way I saw it, when Chloe was falling down the stairs and Bette was about to blow her up, it looked more like a form of heat vision in the form of a fireball type thing. And I don't think Chloe's body had anything explosion inside of her.

Wasn't this done in slow motion?

Heat vision thingy makes sense since it's her eyes that seem to fire up when she's blowing stuff up.

Wasn't this done in slow motion?

Heat vision thingy makes sense since it's her eyes that seem to fire up when she's blowing stuff up.
Yea, that's what I meant. The scene was in slow motion and when Clark came, all he saw was a flame lime thing going into Chloe direction. It looked more like Bette blew things up with her eyes ala heat vision rather than looking at them and making them blow up on heir own.

As for why she didn't try to blow up Tess at the end. It was probably because she was too close. It would've been like the bus incident where she had to struggle to get out alive.

Well IMO, this is just more proof as to why Lois and Clark is a real relationship that will actually work out and never end, as opposed to many of the other relationships that happened on the show. They both know already know that the other is a pretty attracting person physical, and the closeness that they've been given these past few seasons show that they also know that the person is attractive on the inside. What they're doing now is showing that Lois is starting to put 2 and 2 together and is starting to realize that Clark might be the guy she's always wanted after all.

And this whole relationship didn't just happen in Plastique. The final shot of Lois in Odyssey shows that she is starting to consider Clark in a new way, especially after his more confidence attitude and heroic displays in the season premiere. She's finally starting to look past that farm boy that she thought she once knew, and starting to see who is really is underneath.

Well that I understand and aprove of, but the fact that she's practically going ga-ga over the simple fact he put on a shirt does nothing for me except prove that Smallville is still not above doing corny stuff to get a point across. But then again given that Lois made Clark a mixed tape that time she was in love with him and got a tattoo...

Maybe corniness is just part of who she is. :)

The plot of this episode was typical Smallville freak trash.

However, the show is much better with a "Superman" vibe to it. The Lois/Clark relationship is pretty fun to watch, and I actually care about this romance, instead of cringing when Lana comes onscreen. Lois/Clark working desk to desk at the Daily Planet, CLark having to sneak away to be the hero. Lois with the darker hair, being more Lois-like. No more 'Smallville farm' garbage. It's starting to feel a lot like Suuuuuperman

I feel the same about the epi. Although is was the usual run of the mill FOTW epi, there was something about it that just felt right... which I have never got from this show... except for Rosetta.

And I didn't want to mention Lana/kk (who ever does?), but I totally agree. It was one of those negative things (for me atleast) that always dragged the show down, both the writing of the character, as well as the delivery (I really don't know which was worse). Freedom from that has been really liberating as a viewer of the show(and it's only been 2 weeks).

Last edited:
A good call here. Wonder what sort of power... Fire shield? She could have smudged herself on purpose after the blast. Mind control? Maybe she shot herself up with some of that Moira spinal tap.

well that's the question isn't it. Tess was not afraid at all on her visit to Belle Reve as well. So the question is, what's her deal? Mind control?unlikely, otherwise the whole bus exploding wouldn't have happened. Clearly increased toughness of some sort? very little to go on so far though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"