10.9 - Patriot - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I would just take it as all villains know it. To that special alloy just tranforming into it.

The transforming alloy is irrelevant, as they shouldn't have even known what to turn the alloy into. It's one thing if they interviewed Metallo at some point and found out The Blur's weakness was green meteor rock. But, that was never brought up, so one has to assume they figured it out by some other means, which doesn't make sense. The Suicide Squad knew about Clark's weakness, but they knew EVERYTHING about him, where he lived, what his name was, the government didn't know squat besides his weakness.

Didn't Slade (or someone else) make a comment about using some of Lex's old tech or facilities? I would think the answer to the Blur's weakness was derived from that...now how they knew the Blur was one of those aliens I assume could come from displaying similar powers?

Last edited:
Just saw Triplet's review. You made good points Trip, now I see why you didn't like that episode much. I still think it was cool, though. BTW this ep ended very similar to Abyss. At the end of Abyss after Brainiac infected the Fortress, just before the credits they showed Doomsday's symbol flashing up a couple times in front of the camera. They did the same thing with Darkseid's Omega symbol here. That was very cool.

Thanks for the props.

There were parts I liked, some anyway, or else it would have been graded down in Power territory (1.5).

Another good review trip. I know we akready talked about things. I value your thoughts on the episode. You might not have like it as others have. But for me I thought it was a good episode. Sure some minor things here/there to flaut on but overall not a bad episode.

Thanks.

I haven't read Triplet's review yet, so I don't know if she brought it up, but did anyone else go, "Whaaa?" when Slade was telling Clark that they figured out his weakness? I mean, how did they ever figure that out without knowing exactly who he was, which Slade didn't know. Of course, they could have interviewed people about their interaction with "The Blur," but that's just sort of whatever.

See the review here:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/patriotreview.htm

You know, I didn't mention that but that was definitely a head scratching moment.

If he didn't know much about Clark, how did they find *that* out? It was questionable, but not an outright implausibility so I didn't bring it up. I had too many other things I had problems with I wanted to talk about more.

I would just take it as all villains know it. To that special alloy just tranforming into it.

What special alloy?

I didn't get that at all... If Clark gathered the sample, why did he? What did it do that made him want to get the sample?

It was nonsensical. Tess talks about it for a few minutes, taking up valuable time, and they never bring it up again.

Crazy.

You gave the episode a 3/5? That's not bad. It's passing (barely)!

You gave the episode a 3/5? That's not bad. It's passing (barely)!

Well, there were more things I liked than didn't like, so yeah, it was about right.

I gave them essentially an extra point for style: the episode looked awesome, just some of the story points didn't make much sense and a lot of the dialogue just plain stunk.

I definitely agree about the dialogue. Some of the stuff coming out the mouths of A.C. and Mera were cringe worthy.

I like your review and 3/5 seems like a okay passing grade

I think mera willing to get naked is just like how AC said he swims better naked in Justice, It's clothing comfortability

I think Clark is not only more resistance to kryptonite it's also adaptive metal so fake kryptonite so when clark hit the water the metal stopped working
Mera and Arthur's relationship seem similar to comics like blackest knight and brightest day, them around divorce, etc
I agree that some of the lines felt wierd but seeing AquaMAN, king of Atlantis instead of AquaBRO,

I like your review and 3/5 seems like a okay passing grade

I think mera willing to get naked is just like how AC said he swims better naked in Justice, It's clothing comfortability

I think Clark is not only more resistance to kryptonite it's also adaptive metal so fake kryptonite so when clark hit the water the metal stopped working
Mera and Arthur's relationship seem similar to comics like blackest knight and brightest day, them around divorce, etc
I agree that some of the lines felt wierd but seeing AquaMAN, king of Atlantis instead of AquaBRO,

Is the alloy transforming to kryptonite from the spoilers? It wasn't covered in the episode....

. Tess G
Is the alloy transforming to kryptonite from the spoilers? It wasn't covered in the episode....

Well tess reffered to the alloy had multifunctionary weaponary amd slade said the main purpose was containg superpowered being with stolen ideas from luthorcorp which had refined kryptonite and when ollie destroyed the pannel to mera's trap, the trap shut down quickly

I need to start paying attention to the episodes. I don't remember this alloy thing being discussed at all.

. Tess G

Well tess reffered to the alloy had multifunctionary weaponary amd slade said the main purpose was containg superpowered being with stolen ideas from luthorcorp which had refined kryptonite and when ollie destroyed the pannel to mera's trap, the trap shut down quickly

That's a stretch... They didn't really show how it was used or where he got it from, so I'm not sure how you got all that from the episode.

:confused:

I need to start paying attention to the episodes. I don't remember this alloy thing being discussed at all.

Well, it was only discussed by Tess when she had that 'skype' session with Clark that Lois complained about.

She said that she had investigated the alloy sample that Clark had found and her scientists discovered it had the ability to change its composition or something.

She said it was dangerous, making its discovery ominous (I guess). However, they didn't show where Clark had seen it, why it had such unusual properties, when he had collected the samples or when he'd given them to her, so I'm not surprised you didn't notice it.

Well I thonk with the alloy it changed automatically to suit the hero being infected. Like for ac/mera heat bars and to clark green k. But yea they really didn't get into the specifics on it. Maybe they will in a future episode. Also uear zerohour does have another point. It was stated slade/govt was using old luthorcorp tech. And just cause most of it wqs kryptonite related could have been a lucky thing for them on clark. Hopefully the alloy will be used in future episodes to get some more attention.

That's a stretch... They didn't really show how it was used or where he got it from, so I'm not sure how you got all that from the episode.

:confused:

Well, it was only discussed by Tess when she had that 'skype' session with Clark that Lois complained about.

She said that she had investigated the alloy sample that Clark had found and her scientists discovered it had the ability to change its composition or something.

She said it was dangerous, making its discovery ominous (I guess). However, they didn't show where Clark had seen it, why it had such unusual properties, when he had collected the samples or when he'd given them to her, so I'm not surprised you didn't notice it.

Well since AC and Clark were talking about how similar it was to the 33.1 bases I guess they alloy was from luthorcorp tech only perfected at the least but Webhead said it better than I could

Last edited:
Well I thonk with the alloy it changed automatically to suit the hero being infected. Like for ac/mera heat bars and to clark green k. But yea they really didn't get into the specifics on it. Maybe they will in a future episode. Also uear zerohour does have another point. It was stated slade/govt was using old luthorcorp tech. And just cause most of it wqs kryptonite related could have been a lucky thing for them on clark. Hopefully the alloy will be used in future episodes to get some more attention.

Well since AC and Clark were talking about how similar it was to the 33.1 bases I guess they alloy was from luthorcorp tech only perfected at the least but Webhead said it better than I could

Yeah, probably, but they didn't spell it out.

Now, I don't usually need things pointed out to me like a child and require them to use small words and short sentences, but that's an awful lot of assuming you guys are doing.

They didn't say what this alloy did or why it looked so unique to Clark. They shoulda shown more of that to underscore its importance.

As it was, there were a few almost throw-away lines and Tess testing stuff that was a serious weapon, yet we never saw the metal exhibit it's unique properties...

The show did an awful lot of telling with very little showing.

I think they spent too much on the dolphins and not enough on the visual F/X.

hopefully it will play into things for a future episode or two. If not oh well it will just be one of many little things that didnt get much explained or skipped over through the yrs.

I honestly don't remember Tess and Clark ever saying anything about special alloys, I just remember Slade saying something about it, I think? I don't know, I'm probably imagining things.

slade mentioned it and then as trip mentioned during the scene with tess and clark talking over the computer it was mentioned there.

Odd, I was certain that the Kryptonite in the bars was really the magical transforming metal. :)

I mean, Clark said, "You're right, I am a man of Steel." And the bars basically transformed into something else right then and there. Because that's when they failed. Right after he said that.

So, Super willpower? Enough to convert the bars using sheer force of will? That's Silver Age alright. He had so much will power than psychic attacks/ mind control would wear off almost immediately.

Smallville is going more and more towards the Superman that could juggle planets like bowling balls. :)

As for darkseid how is anything a retcon from the other week. We don't know what happened to darkseid and why he is a spirit form right now. For all we know he could have lost his body decades ago. And was lost in dimensional shifts. Which when the tear in space happened it allowed him to get out. And granny/desaad could have been on earth for awhile cause they knew earth was key to getting darkseid back fully. They just haven't expanded on the darkseid storyline yet.
Meh, you're right, but if they make Darkseid too confusing, I'll be annoyed.

He's really simple. He's a freaking God of Evil. It's not complicated. Evil Incarnate, and it started when his mother had Desaad poison his girlfriend.

Really shouldn't be too hard.
It's not like Smallville's cast and crew are building a Tesseract. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract
In geometry, the tesseract, also called an 8-cell or regular octachoron, is the four-dimensional analog of the cube. The tesseract is to the cube as the cube is to the square.

And yes, it's not possible to build one with current technology.

And yes, I am a nerd.

I watched this episode again last night and I actually thought it was alot better than the first viewing of it.

There was actually a tremendous amount of dialogue, something that Smallville often doesnt have.

I think I may need to watch it again to understand even more stuff that was going on, but it definitely made more sense second time around.

yea i still had no issue with the episode really where some others have. But we all have different views and thoughts.

That's true, Webhead, and that's what makes us all different.
The main thing is that we can come together and talk about it in a mostly civil manor.

I mean, people just have to realize I am right, and they are wrong. :)
That was sarcasm by the way, it's sometimes hard to tell.

Yea we should let things get crazy. Man I see the good and bad in debates here on the shh. But overall we all been pretty civil here.

We must now kick people into the pit of Death! Wait, this isn't Sparta, is it? My bad...

But I totally agree. As long as we keep the debate kind, and full of nice words, there's no problem, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"