10.8 - Abandoned - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

We knew it was AI, but they never explicity explained that it was programmed to be emotionless...we were simply meant to believe that kryptonians were cold and emotionless beings by nature.

Even if that were true, the episode Kandor should have been proof enough that not all Kryptonians are cold. A young Jor-El who didn't even know of Clark's existence died for him in that episode. People should have gotten the hint that there's a difference between the real Kryptonians and the FOS A.I.

I agree with this.

I thought the dialogue they gave her was somewhat hammed-up since it was so conveniently situational for the current marriage issue of Lois. It was almost like Ella could specifically see into the future.

BUT Teri delivered it so well and naturally, Durance wouldn't have been able to pull that off.

Teri showed a touch of her A game, Durance has a lot of work to catch up to her ability.

Last edited:
I finally got to see the whole episode and it was pretty great! Jeeze, this one was just chocked full of guest stars, comic mythology and plots! While there was some pacing issues, it came together in the end over all.

The Good:

Teri Hatcher's cameo as Ella Lane- It lived up to it's hype! It was an incredibly overwhelming moment seeing two of these Lois Lanes on the screen. While Erica and Teri weren't in the same room, they certainly gave performances that connected them both women. Such a great nod to the past and I was especially touched considering I loved "Lois and Clark" growing up and Teri was my fave Lois Lane before Erica came along!

Granny Goodess-I loved this incarnation much more than I thought I would! The perfect balance of grandmotherly sweetness and frightening menance. Not to mention, her powers are awesome! Her chase scene with Tess was intense and I love how she chased Tess back to her room. Definately a formiable adversary, considering she got the upperhand on Tess and Clark in the end.

Darkseid's Elite-This Darkseid plot comes around and it just took one brief yet excellent scene of Granny, Desaad and Godfrey meeting to forming an evil Trinity to bring forth Darkseid! Not to mention, they call him Lord Darkseid!! FINALLY!! Shows that the writers are going for an ambitious plot and that Darkseid might not be as lame of a threat as he was in "Supergirl".

Lois-I loved Lois throughout this hour. She is really proving herself as Superman's leading lady and Erica is really doing a great job of showing a softer, more emotional side of Lois this year. I loved her speech to Jor-El in the Fortress and her determination to mend Clark's rift with Jor-El.

The vast display of Clark's powers-We got superspeed, superhearing, freeze breath and heat vision all in one episode. Clark was very resourceful this episode, managing to escape and taking out a Female Fury in less than a second.

Jor-El and Lara's last message-It was great to see Julian Sands and Helen Slater return, especially considering they looked great together as Lara and Jor-El. That last message to Clark was heartfelt and iconic. I loved the Superman score in the background as it played. The direction, lighting and special effects were also just stunning, in fact the Fortress hasn't looked that epic since "Reckoning" when Clark proposed to....yeah anyway!:oldrazz:

Tess-Cassidy always kick a$$! I loved her here and exploring Tess' past at the orphanage.

The engagement ring-Yeah, I know some think this is very pre-mature since he's not even Superman yet or at least officially, the season is closing all running arcs of the season and Clark finding that right person for the rest of his life (no secrets, no real obstacles in relationship, etc) was always a major plot point. So Clark making it official with Lois is just as essential to his journey as it is becoming Superman. I mean they'd had feelings for each other for years, dated for a year, etc. Some people get married faster you know.

The...WTF?

Tess is a Luthor?-I'm glad the writers are looking to the comics for this twist, but really? I guess it depends where they go with this, but it just feels like a retcon. Lex and Tess have had a hinted romantic relationship and Tess has been trying to break away from her Luthor associations only to find out they're her blood family? Tess in just two seasons and a half has been the CEO of Luthorcorp, a religious zealot for Clark and Davis' rivalry, a Checkmate agent, Zod's frienemy, a biologist, Editor and Chief of the Daily Planet, Watchtower 2.0 and now in this episode, a Female Fury and a Luthor!:dry: It's a good thing Cassidy rocks the role because if it wasn't for her, Tess would fail on so many characters, considering the writers through more plots at her than they did Lana!

Clark can use his powers near kryptonite?-It was cool seeing Clark can escape on his own, but that was pretty inconsistent...although, the way kryptonite cripples Clark has always been all over the place on this show.:huh:

The pacing was a bit off-Transistions like with Clark and Tess at the orphanage to Clark on the farm seemed jarring. Also, some plot developments seemed random. Did Jor-El hold Lois hostage temporialy just to lure Clark to the Fortress to deliever that lost message and what were Jor-El's reasons for doing it?:huh:

Clark's memory-Did Granny wipe out Clark's memory of the orphanage? It doesn't make sense why he and Tess wouldn't close down the orphanage knowing Granny was turning young girls into lethal warriors. Not to mention, I'm sure Tess would fill in the blanks if Clark's memory was wiped! I was confused about that.

The Female Furies-Although we got some references to other Furies like Lashina and Gloitha, they were underused and underpowered! They're just a bunch of crazy chicks with krytonite powered weapons unlike the otherlywordly nightmairsh female warriors. But this is an appropriate verison for Smallville I guess, but even Lindsey Hartley as Mad Harriet was severly underused, considering her appearence got her some press. Though her little speech about the coming wrath of Darkseid was promising.

Overall, it was still a solid episode for what it was and there are too many emtional and epic scenes to let the minor plotholes and lackluster developments to get in the way.

Teri showed a touch of her A game, Durance has a lot of work to catch up to her ability.
BUT Teri delivered it so well and naturally, Durance wouldn't have been able to pull that off
Has this become the, Teri Hatcher is da bomb & Durance can suck it!, thread?.

Seriously, no offense to anyone here but you guys forget that Hatcher has had not only many years of acting experience over Durance but also she's a mother, she can naturally tap into those emotions. It's not a matter of Hatcher being a better actor as it is about Hatcher having more experience in both life & career to draw from. Durance gets so much s*** when compared to Hatcher it makes me sick. You all act as if Hatcher's the female equivalant to Daniel Day Lewis or something.

Steve

Wait...the Superman score was in the background during Jor-El's and Lara's message?!

Has this become the, Teri Hatcher is da bomb & Durance can suck it!, thread?.

Seriously, no offense to anyone here but you guys forget that Hatcher has had not only many years of acting experience over Durance but also she's a mother, she can naturally tap into those emotions. It's not a matter of Hatcher being a better actor as it is about Hatcher having more experience in both life & career to draw from. Durance gets so much s*** when compared to Hatcher it makes me sick. You all act as if Hatcher's the female equivalant to Daniel Day Lewis or something.

Steve

It's not just here it's all Superman fandom. Her post LnC career has consisted of a night time soap opera and being a bond girl. Don't get me wrong she has done well for herself but she isn't exactly Meryl Streep and if she hadn't played Lois Lane once I doubt I would even know who she is.

So I guess we all know how this series is going to end. What with the new Memory Wipeing Woman.:whatever:

There is no need for memory wipes or anything. We already knpw that in homcoming future there is no real big thing on why folks don't know its not clark unless there is something more to the glasses.

I'm convinced two hours after the series finale airs and nobody gets mindwiped, people on message boards will still be waiting for the huge mindwipe to happen.

I finally got to see the whole episode and it was pretty great! Jeeze, this one was just chocked full of guest stars, comic mythology and plots! While there was some pacing issues, it came together in the end over all.

The Good:

Teri Hatcher's cameo as Ella Lane- It lived up to it's hype! It was an incredibly overwhelming moment seeing two of these Lois Lanes on the screen. While Erica and Teri weren't in the same room, they certainly gave performances that connected them both women. Such a great nod to the past and I was especially touched considering I loved "Lois and Clark" growing up and Teri was my fave Lois Lane before Erica came along!

Granny Goodess-I loved this incarnation much more than I thought I would! The perfect balance of grandmotherly sweetness and frightening menance. Not to mention, her powers are awesome! Her chase scene with Tess was intense and I love how she chased Tess back to her room. Definately a formiable adversary, considering she got the upperhand on Tess and Clark in the end.

Darkseid's Elite-This Darkseid plot comes around and it just took one brief yet excellent scene of Granny, Desaad and Godfrey meeting to forming an evil Trinity to bring forth Darkseid! Not to mention, they call him Lord Darkseid!! FINALLY!! Shows that the writers are going for an ambitious plot and that Darkseid might not be as lame of a threat as he was in "Supergirl".

Lois-I loved Lois throughout this hour. She is really proving herself as Superman's leading lady and Erica is really doing a great job of showing a softer, more emotional side of Lois this year. I loved her speech to Jor-El in the Fortress and her determination to mend Clark's rift with Jor-El.

The vast display of Clark's powers-We got superspeed, superhearing, freeze breath and heat vision all in one episode. Clark was very resourceful this episode, managing to escape and taking out a Female Fury in less than a second.

Jor-El and Lara's last message-It was great to see Julian Sands and Helen Slater return, especially considering they looked great together as Lara and Jor-El. That last message to Clark was heartfelt and iconic. I loved the Superman score in the background as it played. The direction, lighting and special effects were also just stunning, in fact the Fortress hasn't looked that epic since "Reckoning" when Clark proposed to....yeah anyway!:oldrazz:

Tess-Cassidy always kick a$$! I loved her here and exploring Tess' past at the orphanage.

The engagement ring-Yeah, I know some think this is very pre-mature since he's not even Superman yet or at least officially, the season is closing all running arcs of the season and Clark finding that right person for the rest of his life (no secrets, no real obstacles in relationship, etc) was always a major plot point. So Clark making it official with Lois is just as essential to his journey as it is becoming Superman. I mean they'd had feelings for each other for years, dated for a year, etc. Some people get married faster you know.

The...WTF?

Tess is a Luthor?-I'm glad the writers are looking to the comics for this twist, but really? I guess it depends where they go with this, but it just feels like a retcon. Lex and Tess have had a hinted romantic relationship and Tess has been trying to break away from her Luthor associations only to find out they're her blood family? Tess in just two seasons and a half has been the CEO of Luthorcorp, a religious zealot for Clark and Davis' rivalry, a Checkmate agent, Zod's frienemy, a biologist, Editor and Chief of the Daily Planet, Watchtower 2.0 and now in this episode, a Female Fury and a Luthor!:dry: It's a good thing Cassidy rocks the role because if it wasn't for her, Tess would fail on so many characters, considering the writers through more plots at her than they did Lana!

Clark can use his powers near kryptonite?-It was cool seeing Clark can escape on his own, but that was pretty inconsistent...although, the way kryptonite cripples Clark has always been all over the place on this show.:huh:

The pacing was a bit off-Transistions like with Clark and Tess at the orphanage to Clark on the farm seemed jarring. Also, some plot developments seemed random. Did Jor-El hold Lois hostage temporialy just to lure Clark to the Fortress to deliever that lost message and what were Jor-El's reasons for doing it?:huh:

Clark's memory-Did Granny wipe out Clark's memory of the orphanage? It doesn't make sense why he and Tess wouldn't close down the orphanage knowing Granny was turning young girls into lethal warriors. Not to mention, I'm sure Tess would fill in the blanks if Clark's memory was wiped! I was confused about that.
The Female Furies-Although we got some references to other Furies like Lashina and Gloitha, they were underused and underpowered! They're just a bunch of crazy chicks with krytonite powered weapons unlike the otherlywordly nightmairsh female warriors. But this is an appropriate verison for Smallville I guess, but even Lindsey Hartley as Mad Harriet was severly underused, considering her appearence got her some press. Though her little speech about the coming wrath of Darkseid was promising.

Overall, it was still a solid episode for what it was and there are too many emtional and epic scenes to let the minor plotholes and lackluster developments to get in the way.

I think Tess and Clark where in between a rock and a hard spot on this one. I mean they couldn't destroy the orphanage because Granny would have blamed the Blur and it would look bad on the superheros because it was an orphanage. And they could have reported it to the cops of who ever but more than likely any eveidence of wrong doing would have already been cleared out by the time anybody would have investigated.

I really like the episode and I don't think there has been a weak episode this season. Sure they all haven't been great but I think this is the best start to a season during all 10 seasons.

Yea or if they didsend any one to charge granny she would just wipe there minds. Also I doubt clark any memories when she started attack. It seems its a long process to wipe mind. Heck we she her start on that girl and she still knew granny was bad.

Fun episode, one of the better ones. Glad to see Superbreath again.

Does anyone know where I can find a pic of Jor-El and Lara from this episode?

Try smallville.wikia.com site. I did also know of this nice photo site from episodes but I don't have a link to it. Could try googling smallville episode photos and find something.

triplet's review is now up:
http://www.kryptonsite.com/abandonedreview.htm

Again a great review trip, as you know i love to read your reviews. They are always well written and have alot of views on the episode and props to writers/producers/etc... crew members. I agree with you it was such a good episode acting/written wise. As for the minor issues you had i agree with you too. But they didnt knock the episode for me.

Cant wait to see your review for patriot soon.

triplet's review is now up:
http://www.kryptonsite.com/abandonedreview.htm

Again a great review trip, as you know i love to read your reviews. They are always well written and have alot of views on the episode and props to writers/producers/etc... crew members. I agree with you it was such a good episode acting/written wise. As for the minor issues you had i agree with you too. But they didnt knock the episode for me.

Thanks, webby. I'm glad you enjoy them. This episode was such a joy to watch for me. Everything was so good, aside from a couple of nitpicky things...

Cant wait to see your review for patriot soon.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to like my Patriot review.

I didn't love the episode as whole heartedly as some people apparently have.

Writing actually stunk, IMO. Usually, Tom has been so spot on with direction that his episodes seem to transcend any deficiencies of the script.

Not so this time.

It saddens me that in a season that has been written so tight and streamlined, nary a filler episode to be seen, that Patriot was just so terrible.

:(

ah no problem we all have our own opinions it makes us human lol. You might have not liked it but i thought it was good. to tom i thought he did well as a director again, as for the script for patriot i thought it was good sure some things could have been fixed up but overall wasnt bad in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"