10.9 - Patriot - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

merasm.jpg

Elena was perfect as Mera, She nailed her character perfectly (And I'm not just taking about her physical appearance). She was strong-willed, passionate and had a fiery opinion yet she also had grace and charm much like a Queen does. And that's exactly who Mera is The Queen of the Seven Seas .

If you say so, lol. I thought she couldn't act her way out of paper bag.

Meh... I thought she was pretty terrible.

AC said she was passionate and fiery but did she really display any passion or fire? I don't think so. Mostly the fault of the script, but also of the actor and director I think.

Just as an aside: I don't usually come into an episode thread before my review is posted, but man... I really don't see this the same way as most of you. My review isn't going to be popular.

*shrug*

Oh, well.

I personally don't see what was so bad about the episode. Alan Ritchson has never been the best actor and the actress for Mera for indeed hit and miss, overall, the episode executed what it was trying to do and it build toward a nice conclusion where we got more development from the Darkseid story. I personally don't see any faults in the acting (besides AC and Mera), Tom and Erica were definately in their element, that porch scene between Clark and Lois was delivered very conviningly by Tom and Erica. Michael Hogan was great as Slade, not to mention, we got decent motives for all the character's decisions. I never felt the characters were out of character, yes even when Lois threatened Hamilton! Sure there were some transistion issues, like the facility explostion. But I personally felt like that was a cliffhanger before the commerical. As for the dialogue, the only issues I saw were the fish puns (as usual when AC appears and the random football references from AC) but I've heard MUCH worse from Smallville before. Anyway, there was a nice feel to the episode and it's great watching all the characters acting like a team. But to each there on, we all have different opinions for a reason and I'll still read your reviews trip, no worries.:woot:

Well I said it before trip we all have differences of opinions. I still didn't have any major issues with the episode myself.

Trip I read your reviews because I find them insightful and even though I may not always agree with your opinion. I still try to be as respectful and supportive as possible. Your reviews offer a different view that isn't bound by the history of the characters or the nods and tributes to past superman stories from various incarnations that I as a die-hard Superman fanboy is pretty knowledgeable about .
Still I read every review you issue because it's interesting to see a women perspective and sometimes you make so serious points that causes great debates between me and my girlfriend (that usually end up with us having make out session afterwards.) So Keep up the good work.

Trip I read your reviews because I find them insightful and even though I may not always agree with your opinion. I still try to be as respectful and supportive as possible. Your reviews offer a different view that isn't bound by the history of the characters or the nods and tributes to past superman stories from various incarnations that I as a die-hard Superman fanboy is pretty knowledgeable about .
Still I read every review you issue because it's interesting to see a women perspective and sometimes you make so serious points that causes great debates between me and my girlfriend (that usually end up with us having make out session afterwards.) So Keep up the good work.

Really?

LOL

:D

Well, as long as it's good for your sex life... ;)

Thanks.

I am the same way I love your reviews cause they are well written, some good knowledge and you are fair and honest on your reviews. Unlike others like at supermanhomepage I have seen that are just always negative even for nothing. Its going to be sad once you get to last sv review :(

I am the same way I love your reviews cause they are well written, some good knowledge and you are fair and honest on your reviews. Unlike others like at supermanhomepage I have seen that are just always negative even for nothing. Its going to be sad once you get to last sv review :(

I'm really going to miss the show, but I'm not sure I'm going to miss reviewing.

It's been a good learning experience, I do get something out of it (I'm not just a masochist), but I think I'm ready to do something else with my free time.

I had really, really come this >< close to not doing it again this season, but going from how terrific the new season sounded (even with knowing as little as I did about it) and it being the last season, I couldn't really NOT do it.

I'm glad so many people have found my thoughts and commentary insightful and helpled them get more from the show than they had.

Someone on twitter asked if I was going to do a wrap up sort of commentary, and I was thinking I just might, but I'll have to see how things go toward the end of the season.

Yea sucks when a show ends. I never like it whena show I watch ends/get canned. I just hope the show ends on a good note. Also I am glad you decided to review final season. It would have sucked not seeing reviews from you. And if you do a special wrap up would be neat. Keep us informed on that.

Well, despite being on a vacation, I managed to see this episode.
I liked it well.

Well, except for a few things.
One: Deathstroke the 50-something Terminator. :) So, uh, is his major power driving you to suicide while he recounts boring stories?

Yeah, I hate to say this, but at least Lois and Clark's Deathstroke looked like he could be more than a mild irritation to anyone.

Also, I hope I'm not the only one who did a :facepalm: when Clark claimed he summoned Darkseid.
First off, I have never seen them retcon the last episode before the current one. But they sure did a good job.
Not only did Darkseid not spawn from the orb thingy that Zod was launched into the other dimension/planet thingy, he also sent Granny Goodness to Earth in at least the late 70s.

While yes, Darkseid can shift someone back in time with his Omega Beams, he doesn't do it when he's happy with you. :)
He shifted Doomsday out of time, I don't think he did that as a favor. :)

So, yeah, What happened here? Bad Plot hole?

Other thing I noticed, Lois' scene with the General made me realize this is the Lois Lane you don't want to mess with.
I guarantee 100% this Lois Lane would kill someone to protect Clark.

And let's face it, after 70+ years, we deserve that type of Lois Lane.
"Would you like some tea, General?" "Oh, thank you, Ms. Lane. This is good tea."
"Thank you, I made it myself."
"GAHHH! What did you do?"
"Oh, sorry, did I put too much Cyanide in it?"

No, really, she would.

Just like that woman in the PC game Red Alert. She poisoned Stalin. Then again, who wouldn't poison Stalin...after he conquered Europe.

Well I don't think anything is wrong with slade. We got to see how he becomes destroke. For all we know. In His return spot, He could be pretty much like a drone and used for others means and become a killer extreme. As for darkseid how is anything a retcon from the other week. We don't know what happened to darkseid and why he is a spirit form right now. For all we know he could have lost his body decades ago. And was lost in dimensional shifts. Which when the tear in space happened it allowed him to get out. And granny/desaad could have been on earth for awhile cause they knew earth was key to getting darkseid back fully. They just haven't expanded on the darkseid storyline yet.

Last edited:
I bought this episode on Amazon Video on Demand. Elena's boobs look great in HD!

I bought this episode on Amazon Video on Demand. Elena's boobs look great in HD!

Unfortunately, her getting completely objectified is one of the most memorable parts of this episode.

She did look great, too bad she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

I still didn't think she was that bad. Plus it probably was just how they wanted the character to be. Has any one seen her in other things? If so how was she in other works.

You know the guys of this forum think Mera was a very good actress while the ladies couldn't care less about her. Lol it usually is that way... Which brings up the question why the ladies love to defend Tom Welling over here... lol j/k

I think her acting was okay. Not great but neither was Alan Ritchson's acting. In fact, I think the dialogue he had was kind of crappy (or maybe it was more the way he delivered it).

It was definitively campy. I mean we got rid of Aqua Bro but why did he have to make football metaphors?

Just saw Triplet's review. You made good points Trip, now I see why you didn't like that episode much. I still think it was cool, though. BTW this ep ended very similar to Abyss. At the end of Abyss after Brainiac infected the Fortress, just before the credits they showed Doomsday's symbol flashing up a couple times in front of the camera. They did the same thing with Darkseid's Omega symbol here. That was very cool.

Another good review trip. I know we akready talked about things. I value your thoughts on the episode. You might not have like it as others have. But for me I thought it was a good episode. Sure some minor things here/there to flaut on but overall not a bad episode.

I haven't read Triplet's review yet, so I don't know if she brought it up, but did anyone else go, "Whaaa?" when Slade was telling Clark that they figured out his weakness? I mean, how did they ever figure that out without knowing exactly who he was, which Slade didn't know. Of course, they could have interviewed people about their interaction with "The Blur," but that's just sort of whatever.

I would just take it as all villains know it. To that special alloy just tranforming into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"