• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

10.10 - Luthor - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Speaking of Lionel...was watching Season 3 finale "Covenent"...

Does anyone get that intense picture of evil at the end when Mozart is playing over the final scene where Lionel has his head shaved bald as all the characters fall into despair and cliffhanger scenes...

the last line he delivers "thank you" shows what evil is supposed to be as the season draws to a close...

I hope we get that type of evil from his AU counterpart in his few appearences....

Speaking of Lionel...was watching Season 3 finale "Covenent"...

Does anyone get that intense picture of evil at the end when Mozart is playing over the final scene where Lionel has his head shaved bald as all the characters fall into despair and cliffhanger scenes...

the last line he delivers "thank you" shows what evil is supposed to be as the season draws to a close...

I hope we get that type of evil from his AU counterpart in his few appearences....

That line was considered one of the best of season three at the time. Still in the top 10 best scenes of the series.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I think that was pretty much his defining moment as Lionel. I mean, sure Lionel did some pretty wicked things like nearly kill Lex with the electro-shock therapy, but it was that moment that just screamed "Bad-ass", very similar to Lex at the end of Subterranean.

The guy killed his parents. He's eeeevil!

I don't think he lost his body, Darkseid is much too powerful for that to be a likely explanation - Superman at his prime is just about a match (physically) for Darkseid. He's a new God, the chances of anyone beating him are minimal.

I take it everyone is aware that one of Darkseid's powers is the ability to project psionic avatars in whatever form he wants? It seems that is what he is doing here. His body is back on Apokolips, and he is mentally projecting himself in various etheral forms on Earth.
Well, yeah, that's true. That's why we're getting Darkseid the Smoke cloud. :)

I mean, even I knew that much about Darkseid. I just forgot what it was called. I thought possession wasn't out of his range either. I mean, he's a God of Evil.

Also, bad news, Superman beats Darkseid a lot. I mean a lot.
This isn't Superman the Animated Cartoon, this is actual comics canon. I'm sorry. But it's true.

Darkseid can't win even against Superman. Rarely has he won by any definition of the word win. "I have a concussion? But I'm a God!"
Even late 80s Superman, after the super weakening in the Modern Age, when he was still weaker than even mid 90's Superman, nowhere close to even Bronze Age levels, he was able to beat up Darkseid.

And to be honest, if Darkseid ever faced off against Bronze Age Superman, he would lose so badly it wouldn't even be funny. :)
And Silver Age? Well, Silver Age Superman could destroy Doomsday without breaking a sweat.
And Darkseid is afraid of Doomsday! I'm not joking, he's all but said directly to Superman or someone, that Doomsday scares him.

That said, on Smallville, Darkseid's cloudy form, well, it's possible someone did beat him up. Only Nekron, who slew the entire Justice League just by pointing at them and saying, "DIE!" DC comic's version of Lucifer, and a scant few others could destroy his physical body. Actually, those are about the only ones....maybe Highfather after getting access to the Source...

Oh, right, Superboy Prime. No weakness to magic means Darkseid can't do anything to him. That's how Darkseid hurts Superman mostly. He's a God, therefor he's magic based, everything about his super strength and all his other powers is magical in nature.

Superboy Prime would be about as affected by a punch from Darkseid as Silver Age Superman would be from a punch from me. :)

But yeah, time will tell.

Also, yeah, good points everyone on the Gold K. Works for me.

Last edited:
Well we got to see what they are doing here with the whole darkseid story.

Yeah, I know. We'll find out soonish, hopefully.

I just hope they don't do too many silly things. Like they could.

Then again, in the comics, Darkseid worked at McDonalds, let a mugger mug him, probably not in his 8 foot 6 form, :), and was known for sitting down in your comfy chairs, or your couch, and reading a copy of "Mein Kampf." while drinking your brandy. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an issue of the comics where he was reading Nietzsche Beyond Good and Evil. :)

I felt Luthor was one of the stronger episodes this season that's up there with Lazarus, Shield, Homecoming, Ambush, and Abandoned. :super:

I felt Luthor was one of the stronger episodes this season that's up there with Lazarus, Shield, Homecoming, Ambush, and Abandoned. :super:

Yep, I agree.

But I'm getting flack from some dude over on twitter about not talking about Ultraman's comic origins in my review...

Was that really that big a deal? I had other things I wanted to talk about.

So just for the record: I loved Bryan Q. Miller's take on the character and the way that Tom portrayed him and I didn't care it wasn't really much like the comic version of Ultraman.

That was probably one of those dumbass comicbook fanatics. I swear - obsessed fanboys are no better than the hardcore shippers. Don't let them bother you Trip. Loved Luthor.

Yep, I agree.

But I'm getting flack from some dude over on twitter about not talking about Ultraman's comic origins in my review...

Was that really that big a deal? I had other things I wanted to talk about.

So just for the record: I loved Bryan Q. Miller's take on the character and the way that Tom portrayed him and I didn't care it wasn't really much like the comic version of Ultraman.

They've done a great job of integrating Ultraman into Smallville. It didn't have to look like the comics version. :super:

One of these things is not like the others...

Sheild = 4th best episode of the season. If not maybe 3rd.

Seeing as how I have Shield ranked 9th in the season, I must take Sawyer's side on this one, not that I thought it was a bad episode. Just that aside from Lois saying superman, Clark donning the new jacket, and Kat being annoying, I don't remember much else that stood out.

Well Deadshot and the Suicide Squad were done well too imo.

just read trip's review a little while ago. it was another great review trip. i totally loved the episode too.

Shield wasn't that bad.
Lois saying superman
Well, I'm Semantics man, so I'll say that they apparently weren't allowed to say Superman, so they had to settle for "A Superman."

Also, Lois fails German badly, because Übermensch. translates directly into "The Superman." not "A Superman."

She should have Clark teach her. After all, Superman has perfect mastery of all languages on Earth. Including most of the long dead ones, like Aramaic. Why Superman would need Aramaic, I don't know.
All I know is that Superman once flew backwards in time to the Garden of Eden to get Lois some flowers, and no, I'm not making that up.

Smallville doesn't need to address that directly, but it would be damn stupid of them to not give him something even Modern Era Superman has.

That was probably one of those dumbass comicbook fanatics. I swear - obsessed fanboys are no better than the hardcore shippers. Don't let them bother you Trip. Loved Luthor.

Thanks, I agree. Loved Luthor.

Seriously, one of the best episodes of the series, but Tom, Cassidy and John Glover all brought their A games... Bryan's writing and Kelly's directing were also very solid.

:up:

They've done a great job of integrating Ultraman into Smallville. It didn't have to look like the comics version. :super:

Yep, that's what I said, so the dude stopped following me. So, I blocked him.

;)

One of these things is not like the others...

Sheild = 4th best episode of the season. If not maybe 3rd.

I loved Shield....

I'm not sure where I'd put it, but it's easily in the top 5 for me for the season.

I guess the reason why I didn't like Shield as much was probably because I was hyped to see Clark's new look, but when it finally appeared, but was sort of a letdown based on my expectations. Most of the episodes that I haven't liked as much have been because I had higher expectations for them than other episodes, and they didn't live up to it. Ironically enough, the episodes that I don't expect much from end up leaving me excited by the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"