8.02 - Plastique - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I thought it was fantastic all around also.

I avoid the TWoP boards....their members scare me. :(

I thought it was fantastic all around also.

I avoid the TWoP boards....their members scare me. :(
I like reading different points of view, which is why I prowl around, but the emphasis on Chloe to the detriment of all other characters at TWoP has gotten even to me. I like Chloe. A LOT! But my gosh, Chloe isn't who Clark ends up with. You'd think the SV world had just ended over there based on their comments. I can't read the Sweet boards but I guess they had a similar melt down when Kreuk left. And I haven't been to K-Site since last season ended (too many threads), so I don't know how those fans feel.

I make the mistake periodically to check out the forum at the SHP, and I don't know why I bother, since they are nothing but negative about the show.

I don't go to K-Site anymore aside from checking out any new spoilers and reading Trips reviews.

Yea, I guess I just don't go to any other forums regularly. If I check out the new hot topics of Smallville, I come here....or chat to my wife about it...my own personal forum. :p

with their budget I doubt it. Even for manhunter we just got some red eyes and that was it.

If they ever bring Darkseid he'll be a school teacher or something like that.

In the 8 year run of the show we've never had star trek level alien makeup.

I mean they did say that we will eventually see him as full on Doomsday...but like you said, I just can't see it happening.

The budget would be through the roof...I mean even with Bizarro, we only got to see his true form whenever he stepped in daylight.

I thought this was a very good episode. So far, I've been impressed with Season 8. I hope they keep up the good work.

Wow. I liked this a lot more than the premiere. Good episode, I think, and I'm really liking Cassidy and Sam. I'm really impressed with them (especially Cassidy, who I'd never seen or heard of before), and I really like how they're fitting into the show. A lot.

It was a good episode, and FINALLY with nothing worth complaining about. After 4 or 5 years of mediocrity, it is nice to see an episode that is great, without needing a pivotal 'mythos' concept to propell it forward.
There have been plenty of episodes just as good or better.

that being said: if you want a complaint, or more a momment of wasted opportunity, I call your attention to the phone booth scene. Awesome that it happened, but it would have been a good momment for the 'how did you change so fast?' gag. ie. he closes the booth door, and opens it again almost instantly, and changed. That would have been a good thing to throw in there, and it wouldn't have cost anything, nor would it have added any seconds to the net time of the episode.

I kinda disagree here. If there's something that really grinds my gears about this show it's how they've stopped making references to superman in subliminal or low key ways but just started throwing them around blatantly like bricks.

I think anything added to this scene would have been a bit too heavy handed. It worked nicely the way it was handled. Sometimes less is more.

The Six Hour Drive Returns! Agh! My biggest pet peeve refuses to die!

LOL! I hope they do something about this JUST FOR YOU! ;)

Personally, I thought the ep was bullet-proof for those who like to take pot-shots at SV and the "bastardization of the mythos." But I was wrong. I read a few pages over at TWoP and those folks are mad angry. Like foaming at the mouth angry. Day-um. Oh well. I liked it. LOL

The few sane and level-headed people that I know of who posted at TWOP have all jumped ship (or were banned). I can't even imagine what kind of crowd is left there. Omar and Chloe worshippers exclusively, I suppose.

I can't read the Sweet boards but I guess they had a similar melt down when Kreuk left.

It's...not exactly Happy Town there. LOL. It is a shipper board though, so that's to be expected. I generally avoid the episode threads there now but I do like to skim the TW and KK threads. I like both Lana and Lois, which means there is NO forum that caters to me! I find the best SV discussions on LJ and here, to be honest.

Plastique

Briefly, I liked the episode, particularly the Clark, and Clark and Lois parts. I liked Davis Bloom's chemistry with both Chloe and Clark, but I'm not that invested in him as of yet. Same with Tess, although I do see some good potential with both of them, I just hope SV follows through with it and really makes them work.

I don't think enough can be said about Clark's amazing presence and strength in both the big rescue scene and the more quiet, but still heroic, scene where he talked Bette down from her violent streak, even after she attacked Chloe. Tom handled both extremes of Supermanly behavior with an ease that has really come to its fruition after 8 seasons of playing this guy. I LOVED IT.

Lois is made of win, particularly since she's finally embracing her journalistic destiny with such Lois-like tenacity. I find her sincere concern for Clark and her immediately taking him under her wing so endearing, and believable. Her appreciation and respect for him, as so much more than just that farmboy she used to mock, is being played out nicely. Mostly, I love Lois for being a catalyst to seeing more smiling and joking from Clark. The playful ease that he has with her is such a welcome addition to the show, and way overdue.

My only real beef with this ep, is Chloe. Admittedly, never my favorite character, and even less so now that she's gone from a supporting character to a "lead" character. I only care about Chloe's story when it intersects with Clark's directly. I was annoyed with how she threw that leading question to Clark about how he feels about her getting married...and then looked disappointed that he, once again, told her that he just wanted her to be happy. Clearly, he believes she loves Jimmy (as he told Lois), and despite his concerns about her not always *being there* for him as she's always been, he's going to put HER happiness above anything else.

Oh well, it really did feel like a scene that was basically a bone to the Chlark fans, anyway. I think Jimmy might have more future issues with Chloe's interest in Bloomsday than he ever had about her friendship with Clark.

Good episode i liked it.

am i the only who thinks ED version of lois is 100 times better than kate bosweworth's version of lois :woot:

infact's later's lois reminded me more of smallville's lana than lois

I don't think enough can be said about Clark's amazing presence and strength in both the big rescue scene and the more quiet, but still heroic, scene where he talked Bette down from her violent streak, even after she attacked Chloe. Tom handled both extremes of Supermanly behavior with an ease that has really come to its fruition after 8 seasons of playing this guy. I LOVED IT.

.[/quote]

agree they played music right after his that speech

The Six Hour Drive Returns! Agh! My biggest pet peeve refuses to die! Seriously, that exterior shot of the Talon is the bane of my existence! Why oh why can't Chloe's apartment be in Metropolis?

Maybe Clark has some boom tubes stashed around ;) or Lex has a Talon in Metropolis

It was ok. Clark and Lois were definitely the highlights for me.

What I don't get is why did Lois nearly disolve in a puddle of her own saliva when she saw Clark coming out of the phone booth in a shirt. I mean she saw him naked for crying out loud.

What I don't get is why did Lois nearly disolve in a puddle of her own saliva when she saw Clark coming out of the phone booth in a shirt. I mean she saw him naked for crying out loud.

Lois never had eyes for Clark then, she does now, and finally is realizing it.

Some people get more attractive the longer you know them. I have friends who I thought at first were decent looking, but now since I know them, I think are beautiful now.

Oh, did anyone catch when Davis was on the street at the end of the episode how there seemed to be moving lumps on his forehead?

Plastique

Briefly, I liked the episode, particularly the Clark, and Clark and Lois parts. I liked Davis Bloom's chemistry with both Chloe and Clark, but I'm not that invested in him as of yet. Same with Tess, although I do see some good potential with both of them, I just hope SV follows through with it and really makes them work.

Lois is made of win, particularly since she's finally embracing her journalistic destiny with such Lois-like tenacity. I find her sincere concern for Clark and her immediately taking him under her wing so endearing, and believable. Her appreciation and respect for him, as so much more than just that farmboy she used to mock, is being played out nicely. Mostly, I love Lois for being a catalyst to seeing more smiling and joking from Clark. The playful ease that he has with her is such a welcome addition to the show, and way overdue.

My only real beef with this ep, is Chloe. Admittedly, never my favorite character, and even less so now that she's gone from a supporting character to a "lead" character. I only care about Chloe's story when it intersects with Clark's directly. I was annoyed with how she threw that leading question to Clark about how he feels about her getting married...and then looked disappointed that he, once again, told her that he just wanted her to be happy. Clearly, he believes she loves Jimmy (as he told Lois), and despite his concerns about her not always *being there* for him as she's always been, he's going to put HER happiness above anything else.

Oh well, it really did feel like a scene that was basically a bone to the Chlark fans, anyway. I think Jimmy might have more future issues with Chloe's interest in Bloomsday than he ever had about her friendship with Clark.

It almost summs up my feel on the episode except for Tess Mercer: she is a great adiction to show and I'm pretty much excited about the character.
As for Chloe, IMHO, it was necessary since KK left the show.

Another thing, I want to confess: the show is more honest I think, something I think it didn't happen during season 6 and 7 and I'm loving it.

So far season 8, has been excellent. Let's hope they can keep up.

I haven't really liked the interior of DP of Smallville. It doesn't have any snap in it. It reminds me of the Luthor mansion and while I do love heavy woods and warm colours in the decor, the DP doesn't really work and having worked for a paper the functionaly is thrown outta the window every time I lay my eyes on that place.

It was a nice episode mainly because how Lois seemed to care for Clark but also learned that maybe Clark is more than up to the task. I suppose that this will become an issue between them at some point where it might seem that the new boss favours Clark and so on.

Otherwise stuff seemed much more simplified and the whole Chloe & Doomsie thing was silly, and all that the Lex-bot managed to do was to remind me of Lex from season 3 through 7. Pointless. Guess I'll check back into this when the season is over, or something.

Yeah, I mean they even did that whole thing where Clark rescues Tess from disaster like he rescued Lex when he first met him. The whole friends with my enemy thing. It really did feel like they're doing the Lex storyline all over again.

Maybe <snip> Lex has a Talon in Metropolis

Nice! Until someone says otherwise, this will be my official explanation! Lex turned the Talon into a franchise and opened one in Metropolis. I feel much better now. :woot:

There have been plenty of episodes just as good or better.

yes, but those episodes have either been finales or premier where something 'important' happens, or they have either been 'mythos advancing' episodes which take advantage of the actual superman elements.

this episode had neither. Yet it came across as absolutely solid. This episode IMO, represents the quality level that mid season, so called 'filler episodes' should be. This episode should really be the average (quality speaking) of the season, if it's not, then the new direction may not be as awesome as I'm hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"