8.11 - Legion - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

04nbod

I need to debrief you
Reaction score
http://www.newsarama.com/tv/080727-smallville-legion.html

The Legion of Super-Heroes is coming to Smallville, and the writer who's guiding the futuristic team in comic books will be the one introducing them to the show.

Geoff Johns, writer of next month's Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds mini-series for DC Comics, will also be writing the Legion's introduction to the Smallville television show. As announced Sunday at San Diego Comic-Con, Johns will be writing "Legion," the ninth episode in this year's season 8 of Smallville.

"I've known the Smallville writing team – Todd [Slavkin], Darren [Swimmer], Brian [Wayne Peterson] and Kelly [Souders] – for a long time," Johns told Newsarama. "I had an idea for an episode, so we all had lunch. And I pitched them the idea of bringing the Legion of Super-Heroes to Smallville. And we're off and running."

In comics, the Legion of Super-Heroes is a group of super-powered teenagers from 1,000 years in the future who are inspired by the legend of Superman. The Legion story, which saw the young heroes time-traveling back to visit a young Clark Kent, recently inspired a Warner Bros. animated TV series.

Smallville fans had already seen updated versions of several DC Comics heroes on the live-action show, including Green Arrow, who's become a regular character. Just last month, it was announced that a new "Doomsday" character, played by Battlestar Galactica alum Sam Witwer, will be added to the Smallville cast this season as a nemesis for actor Tom Welling's Clark Kent.

While the show's very human-looking Doomsday is apparently a re-interpretation of the monstrous comics character who once killed Superman, according to Johns, the Legion that appears in his Smallville episode will be the team that comic book readers recognize.

"I can't get into any specifics about the story we're telling because we’re still working on it all. But they're from the 31st Century. And it will be focusing on some obvious characters who first met Clark," Johns said. "It will be written to fit with Smallville, and I think it's going to be a really fun challenge to approach the Legion in a different way. But with me, you know you're going to see Legion rings, and they're going to be as true to the core as possible. It's going to be the Legion of Super-Heroes."

Johns, who just recently used Legion characters in a story he wrote for the Superman-centered series Action Comics with artist Gary Frank, couldn't confirm if the Legion characters he's introducing in Smallville would appear in more than one episode.

As Smallville fans may remember, this won't be the first time the name "Geoff Johns" is attached to the show. In Season 4, a super-powered, villainous football-playing character was named Geoff Johns. And as most comic book fans know, Johns shares offices with former Smallville writer and comic book creator Jeph Loeb, who was involved with the series during Seasons 2-4.

"Like I said, I've known the Smallville team for a long time. And I have to thank Jeph Loeb for introducing me to those people in the first place," Johns said. "I'm really looking forward to working on the show. It's exciting to see the Legion be part of that."

Fantastic!!!

This is going to be an interesting episode!

This has me excited. They should bring back Kara for this episode so the legion can take her away and her storyline will be complete!

because they are an integral part of the superboy and superman story.
Plus they aren't always teens. Saturn Girl and Lightning lad got married and had a kid.

Superman fans will love it considering he is the 'inspiration' for the league
2_Superboy-Legion.jpg

199-1.jpg

adv247caption.jpg

if done right it could be amazing.(but this is smallville, my confidence is shaken)

Im hyped for this episode....

You get a bunch of people telling Clark how "He is the greatest Superhero of all time"

There better not be any "You have a great destiny" crap since he isn't going to do anything.

With Johns writing, I'll be there.

^^one of the greatest. Threeboot legion likes a bit of batman too.

knowing johns it will be a total silver age fan fest

this would be the PERFECT time to wrap up Kara's storyline. Clark needs to save her and then send her away to the future with the legion.

There better not be any "You have a great destiny" crap since he isn't going to do anything.

With Johns writing, I'll be there.

I hope its more the undercurrent of 'you're great but we can't tell you anything because of issues with the timeline'

this would be the PERFECT time to wrap up Kara's storyline. Clark needs to save her and then send her away to the future with the legion.

thats what I said but my pool of hope only reaches my ankles

Yeah if PS3 were thinking of bring Kara back for an episode, this would be the one....

wow great news i hope it turns out to be a good episode and sweet they get getting another dc comics writer on the show even if its just this one episode. YEa i would totally love if they free kara and she goes to the future.

This is ****ing stupid.

Maybe they'll give him a flight ring so he can finally fly.

why you think this is stupid, it could be a very good episode, they have a comics writer on board for the episode and we are months from it even filming/airing.

actually i have an idea. What if the legion rescue Kara like they rescued mon-el from the phantom zone?

on second thoughts don't get my hopes up, she most likely won't be in the episode

Because Smallville is supposed to be in it's own universe with it's own take on the characters/events that happened. For the first few years we got that and it was good. Now we got Lois/Clark with all sorts of other heroes (Cyborg, GA, Aquaman, Flash, blah blha blah) and villians that should have little to do with the show. Now they're bringing in the Legion? Come on, enough is enough.

I've been on board and seen this show through a LOT of stupid plotlines/characters/arcs/events since the begining, but the more I hear about this new season, the more I dread watching it.

Yea true but it would be a good way to have her return and then a logical reason for where she is for the rest of the series. So guys what characters you think they will end up using and what actors you guys think would be good.

Well legion in the comics have poped up in superman/superboy stuff so having them show up in smallville isnt that different. Take for explain with legion of superheroes toon they for the first season went and got a teen clark. Or their appearances in STAS/JLU.

Because Smallville is supposed to be in it's own universe with it's own take on the characters/events that happened. For the first few years we got that and it was good. Now we got Lois/Clark with all sorts of other heroes (Cyborg, GA, Aquaman, Flash, blah blha blah) and villians that should have little to do with the show. Now they're bringing in the Legion? Come on, enough is enough.

I've been on board and seen this show through a LOT of stupid plotlines/characters/arcs/events since the begining, but the more I hear about this new season, the more I dread watching it.

I can see you getting upset over the Justice league members with that statement... but isn't the Legion part of the Smallville Universe? They come to the past to Smallville looking for the Man of Steel only to find that he is in his teenage years?

well we are still getting that its just its not to your taste anymore

so will they anounce this at the SDCC panel today?

I mean Smallville the show is supposed to be in it's own self contained universe, not that the timeline is supposed to sorta go with the comics.

Just cause while he was in his Smallville adventures as a kid in the comics doesn't mean they shoudl just throw them in the Smallville show.

It's a bad idea that's going to be a bad execution. Just wait for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"