Agent Carter Agent Carter General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is why people find you overly dramatic... where did i say "all film and tv" ? If your going to put words in peoples mouths and then jump to extreme conclusions you're eventually going to get labeled a provoking troll on here.

Most 40s do-wop sung by a woman is about a man......

Still a bad song choice. I'd rather it have been something empowering about a woman and MEN. But thats just a small quibble with song choice.

The "Agent Carter" One Shot was a pilot for a "Director Carter" television show. When the extremely talented people behind the show wisely decided that put-upon Peggy trying to make her way in a man's world was the better show, a continuity error was created. I don't know if Marvel will be able to untie this knot as deftly as they did in "The Consultant", but my guess is that events in the "Agent Carter" One Shot did occur in the MCU. The timing of the events, however, is off.

Thank you!

It was THAT easy folks. Zarex admitted that there is an issue, but...you know...it isnt the end of the world. The show isn't perfect, the studio isn't perfect, no one is perfect, and if this is the biggest continuity error in the MCU, then we're really blessed.

But it's insane to pretend that this issue never happened.

I loved it, though Rocketeer is one of my fav. movies so I guess I have a soft-spot for these period pieces.

Enjoyed the Betty Parker parts of the radio show portraying how the world thinks about Carter's role in things.

And I couldnt focus on the story during the nightclub scenes for some reason(s) :dry:

Still a bad song choice. I'd rather it have been something empowering about a woman and MEN. But thats just a small quibble with song choice.

good luck finding much of a choice from that era with that requirement.

Okay, quick question: With Hugh Jones appearing in the show, who in 616 has very strong ties to the Serpent Society, do we think that both the Society and the Serpent Crown will make an appearance? Is Leviathan the Serpent Society? Is The Serpent Crown one of the Infinity Stones? Is it possible that Agent Carter expands the MCU further than we thought?

Well, they introduced the Inhumans (a pretty substantial plot-point in future Marvel movies) in AoS, don't see why AC couldn't do the same. Although maybe a Infinity Stone might be TO big a plot point.

good luck finding much of a choice from that era with that requirement.

Or even something more flirty...not really empowering...since the point was kind of that Carter gets her man in business, love and fights. I'm not well versed in that era of music though...so maybe it doesn't exist.

I think it was chosen on purpose, the whole show seems to make a point of showing Carter kicking ass against the backdrop of the world's view on women at the time.

I think it was chosen on purpose, the whole show seems to make a point of showing Carter kicking ass against the backdrop of the world's view on women at the time.

yeah there was a great juxtaposition. Especially the brilliant part of her fighting during the radio show. This miniseries is very very smart and well executed imo

The "Agent Carter" One Shot was a pilot for a "Director Carter" television show. When the extremely talented people behind the show wisely decided that put-upon Peggy trying to make her way in a man's world was the better show, a continuity error was created. I don't know if Marvel will be able to untie this knot as deftly as they did in "The Consultant", but my guess is that events in the "Agent Carter" One Shot did occur in the MCU. The timing of the events, however, is off.

Despite Heretic conjuring up claims to the contrary, no one is denying the existence of a potential continuity error. They simply realize that it's a relatively minor one, an inevitability of longform storytelling mixed with multiple creators, & not worth crying over.

Marvel didn't sit down and perfectly plan out 20 movies, 5 DTV short films and two tv shows back in 2008. It's a work in progress. What seems like a good creative decision today could very well be invalidated or altered by necessity a few years down the road. Especially when the changes are only affecting a glorified dvd extra that only fanboys watched in the first place.

yeah there was a great juxtaposition. Especially the brilliant part of her fighting during the radio show. This miniseries is very very smart and well executed imo

That was GREAT. Especially when she broke the guys arm and it cuts to the performer ripping a lobster apart. :woot: Ouch!

Shouldn't Tony Stark be old as hell. How is it that Howard Stark & Peg, lets say, the same age, and we know that WS killed Howard Stark around that time....so, Tony would have had to be born in that era, making him today old as you know what....given Tony is portrayed about a decade older then Tripp...who is the "Grand-Son" of one of the Howling Commando we may see on this show; whom was about the same age of Howard, if not a few years older....for some.

:shr:

Howard could have fathered Tony when he was 50+.

Isnt PAul Bettany showing up in a flashback during AoU portraying human Jarvis?

Shouldn't Tony Stark be old as hell. How is it that Howard Stark & Peg, lets say, the same age, and we know that WS killed Howard Stark around that time....so, Tony would have had to be born in that era, making him today old as you know what....given Tony is portrayed about a decade older then Tripp...who is the "Grand-Son" of one of the Howling Commando we may see on this show; whom was about the same age of Howard, if not a few years older....for some.

Howard isn't married in the 40s, he's a young howard hughes type genius with a different woman on his arm every day... Tony was born likely in the 60s, he was a child in the 70s (in the clip from ironman 2) Howard was killed in the 80s i believe, where a young 20 something stark became the head of stark industries.

no... considering we already have jarvis on the show. J.A.R.V.I.S. was modeled off of Jarvis, but vision wouldn't have to look like Jarvis... and likely wouldn't

I'm not good with numbers so I'm not gonna try to figure out this timeline stuff but here's some additional info for you guys: The Starks were killed in 1991 and Tony was 14 in 1983.

Source: Newspaper clippings from Iron Man and Captain America - The Winter Soldier. Also the post credits scene from Iron Man 3.

Just because someone is of a certain age...it doesn't mean their kids should be of a certain age too.

Just to give you a real world reference.... I am almost 58 years old. I have an 8 year old daughter. People I graduated high school with have kids that are 38/37/36 years old. I am the same age as the people I went to school with...but our kids are no where close to being of the same generation.

It happens.

Tony was born in 1970 or 71 (I can't remember which in the MCU, I'd have to check some stuff when I get home to be certain). The SHIELD files Cap looks through in the deleted scene from Avengers has Howard's birth year as, I think, 1917 or so. So Howard would've been in his 50's when Tony was born - which is not unheard of (men can still father children later in life)

Howard was killed in the 80s i believe
Howard was killed in 1991

Assuming Tony is roughly the same age as RDJ he would have been born around the mid 60's (65 in RDJ's case). That's a mere twenty years after the events of this show, Howard would likely be around 50 by that point. 48 if Silvermoon is right about his birthdate being 1917.

Plenty of wiggle room either way but it works.

Last edited:

There were rumors that he was on set with Haley Atwell and Chris Evans. He may be portraying Jim Hammond/Professor Horton's synthetic man.

Tony was born in 1970 or 71 (I can't remember which in the MCU, I'd have to check some stuff when I get home to be certain). The SHIELD files Cap looks through in the deleted scene from Avengers has Howard's birth year as, I think, 1917 or so. So Howard would've been in his 50's when Tony was born - which is not unheard of (men can still father children later in life)

Howard was killed in 1991

the shot of howard with little tony in Ironman 2 with the stark expo looked earlier 70s rather than late 70s.. especially when comparing to the real world model for that.. Walt Disney and Disney Land/World

I don't know if this was posted here, but apparently Hayley needed to get her passport updated during film and there was barely anytime for her to get it done. So she went dressed as Peggy. :woot:

the shot of howard with little tony in Ironman 2 with the stark expo looked earlier 70s rather than late 70s.. especially when comparing to the real world model for that.. Walt Disney and Disney Land/World
yeah, that footage was in 1974 I think. I think though that, even though he may have been played by an older child actor, the intention was still that Tony was a younger child (maybe 4 1/2 if the footage was from closer to the end of 1974)

Despite Heretic conjuring up claims to the contrary, no one is denying the existence of a potential continuity error. They simply realize that it's a relatively minor one, an inevitability of longform storytelling mixed with multiple creators, & not worth crying over.

Marvel didn't sit down and perfectly plan out 20 movies, 5 DTV short films and two tv shows back in 2008. It's a work in progress. What seems like a good creative decision today could very well be invalidated or altered by necessity a few years down the road. Especially when the changes are only affecting a glorified dvd extra that only fanboys watched in the first place.

It's a minor problem, but Marvel has been so wonderful maintaining their continuitity across 20 movies 5 DTV short films and two tv shows that even a small error stands out. This ain't the X-Men.

I'm not sure if it can be fixed - on the One Shot Peggy appears to go from grieving war "widow" to SHIELD director over the course of a day or two - but I would like to see them try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"