Agent Carter Agent Carter - S01E01 "Now Is Not The End"

What do you think the chances are we will see Stark eventually make the "Grandmother" to Lola? He was REAL close in CA:TFA.

I forget...was it in one of this past week's episodes that we saw a picture of a car?? Or is that the next? Maybe it was just a picture of the one in TFA...I dont recall...but I must admit, I'd laugh if they had an ET moment of his car being surrounded by cops and he takes off flying.

Great two episodes. Excellent balance of story and action, cool period setting, and Peggy is a tremendously charismatic lead. She's a wonderful combination of arrogant and vulnerable that's just so appealing. Leviathan is a legitimately creepy organization. I wonder if it's related to Hydra?

One of my only complaints is that they overdid the sexism aspect. Yeah, maybe that's how it was at the time but less is more. Also, Jarvis bugged the hell out of me. I know he's supposed to be funny but I found him annoyingly prissy. I hope he drops that soon enough in favor of becoming more adventurous. We're already seeing signs of that.

I'm excited to see Dum Dum Dugan

I wanna see all the Howling Commandos. The way they were shortchanged in TFA was criminal.

After re-watching these two episodes the references to CA:TFA(and I'm talking specifically of using it's footage and audio here) are starting to grate on me a bit more. I just fast forwarded through them when it came to those scenes. I've seen the movie half a dozen times. I don't need a reminder. I think the link of this show to the greater cinematic universe is strong enough now for those who don't eat, sleep and breathe the MCU mythology that you don't need to call back to that anymore. I rather hope they don't, at any rate. This show can stand on it's own two legs.

^ I think you somehow missed the point of including the Cap footage. It was there to bolster and enhance Peggy's character and explain why she is the way she is.

It wasn't included on a whim, or because the show somehow can't 'stand on its own legs'.

^I understand why it was that way and I agree with how you called it. It's more for people who aren't as much MCU aficionados who may need a refresher on this show's link to the rest of the MCU via CA:TFA. Speaking only for myself, I didn't need any reminders. You could have left all that stuff out and I'd have gotten the connection just fine. And hopefully moving forward they don't feel the need to call back to that all that often. Maybe if they can figure a clever way to tie it in with some small bit in CA:TFA that otherwise went relatively unnoticed then sure, go for it I say. But all this was fairly obvious stuff to me and thus kind of redundant.

Well, we post on a superhero message board, so we're not really the ones the reminders are for. I have friends who are only casual viewers of these movies. They'll go see them all with me, and some of the movies stick with them more than others, but they aren't keeping track of the entire MCU and might barely remember who Peggy was, if at all. My Dad's the same way, come to think of it. They'd enjoy this show, but they'd also probably need those reminders.

But I agree they're really only necessary in the beginning, just to set the stage. I doubt we'll see much more of them going forward.

we only had the flasbacks in the first episode though, I can't rembember seeing them in the second one.
so yes, it worked as a reminder for the general audience (some of the might not even have seen CATFA) and also introduced us to Peggy. They are not needed anymore.
besides, we have the radio show to constantly remind us that this is set in the MCU anyway

Honestly I liked that radio show but hope it also doesn't continue much beyond episode 2. It was a nice gag but that can easily get overplayed.

Having just read a book about the history of Superman that heavily featured the radio shows, I loved the Cap radio show bits.

When it comes to flashbacks...you kind of have to give them some leeway because the general audience really doesn't pay attention. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy, there was a fire alarm right after the team learned about Peter's genetics at Nova. While we were waiting outside for the show to resume, a random guy mentioned "That is AWESOME that Red Skull is back!" I was like..."uh...that isn't Red Skull...that's Thanos...the guy whose name they've mentioned a ton of times in the movie. He was in the end of Avengers as well." People around me perked up like "that guy was in Avengers???" and I explained that the Orb was an Infinity Gem and all...and literally DURING THE MOVIE BREAK...I had to explain to the people around me that the Teseract, Orb etc are these ancient artifacts that blah blah blah...and none of them recalled hearing about that AT ALL in the movie that they were watching (they ALL just tuned out when The Collector started talking). In other words...you have to beat the general audience over the head with this stuff.

Watched both episodes twice now. I feel like I needed to get over my initial glee of seeing Hayley Atwell in a starring role and kicking butt.

I think the first episode was a bit rough, the second less so, but I think both worked very well, with the show increasing in quality as it went on. Stuff like the radio show walked the line of a bit too cheesy and awesome, but overall I think the time period gimmicks worked really well. I was a bit caught off guard by how well the action scenes and fx came off.

What made the show work for me though were the Atwell, D'Arcy and Fonseca. I just fell in love with their performances, their characters. I could go on adventures with these three forever and a day. Both in the real world, and the spy one.

might be. might also be the MCU version of the serpent squad. or both.
That's what I said the other night.
I want to somehow see the ORIGINAL Black Widow involved. I mean she started out in Iron Man and I can totally see her stealing from Howard

That's what I said the other night.
I want to somehow see the ORIGINAL Black Widow involved. I mean she started out in Iron Man and I can totally see her stealing from Howard

Did they ever make a reference there was another/original Black Widow in the MCU before Natasha? If so, I missed it. If not, it's a good idea.

Last edited:
She picked up the zodiac vial mere minutes after fighting those guys with the briefcase. She fought them because they were standing between her and the vial in that building. This isn't a case of "well, maybe the fight happened, then the mini-series happened, then she went back for the vial."

The scenarios are basically...
1. The One Shot happened, meaning that this entire series was poorly thought out and it should be taking place after that event.
2. The One Shot didn't happen yet. Which means that she can't remember it because she hasn't done it, therefore they made an idiotic continuity error.
3. The One Shot has been erased from existence completely. In that case, why does she remember it? Adding in clips of the fight scene from an event that has never and will never happen was incredibly foolish in a Cinematic universe where we have been trained to thing that everything is connected and "counts."

My theory on the one-shot is that it's similar to the end of the Bourne Supremacy.

[YT]I3znSbbu9IU[/YT]

If you watch it at the end of this movie, it looks like the end of the story. Bourne has now found out his real name and Pamela Landy tells him it's all over. The atmosphere is fairly relaxed, and it seems like an epilogue to Bourne's adventure, and it looks like the overall story could have ended here.

However, the next film, The Bourne Ultimatum, doesn't pick up immediately after this scene with Bourne going forth with the knowledge of his real identity. Instead it back tracks and most of the movie happens chronologically before that scene. But that scene is featured towards the end of the film and is reframed in a different context, spliced with other scenes, with a new interpretation and a much more urgent feel as seen below:

[YT]3TmzG_fqqU8[/YT]

That scene was made at least a couple of years before Ultimatum.

I believe what we saw in the One Shot was just an abridged version of events which didn't all necessarily happen as one continuous story. That means that parts of the One Shot could be interspersed with the Agent Carter TV series and vice versa.

The One Shot isn't necessarily discounted, but parts of it could later feature within the series but reframed with a slightly different nuance and meaning when we see the bigger picture, just like it was done for that scene in Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum.

I wonder if the Bluray for this will be available before A:AoU?

Love Haley's American characters so much. She's too friggin cute.

Just watched ep one..loved it! One of the best tv pilots i've seen in a while. Granted i'm a bit bias because of my love and respect for Hayley, i think that it helps that she has played the role prior so has already worked out all the characteristics of her character.

This show has been long over due and it's great seeing Hayley being a leading lady. Hope we get a s2!

^I understand why it was that way and I agree with how you called it. It's more for people who aren't as much MCU aficionados who may need a refresher on this show's link to the rest of the MCU via CA:TFA. Speaking only for myself, I didn't need any reminders. You could have left all that stuff out and I'd have gotten the connection just fine. And hopefully moving forward they don't feel the need to call back to that all that often. Maybe if they can figure a clever way to tie it in with some small bit in CA:TFA that otherwise went relatively unnoticed then sure, go for it I say. But all this was fairly obvious stuff to me and thus kind of redundant.

Movies and TV shows are not made with one viewer base (or one viewer) in mind. The Marvel and TV series are not being made for just fans of the comics or even for people who are fans of the MCU.

The connection to Captain America and the MCU version of the Second World War is an important part of Peggy's character and life. It's inclusion in the series is necessary to explain this to viewers unfamiliar with the MCU - entice then to check it out the movies or at the very least give them enough backstory for it to make sense on its own. For example, why Peggy believes Stark while everyone else is gunning for him.

And these references to the larger MCU are so brief that I can't imagine the effort of hitting the fast forward button was worth it - beyond the clips in the opening prologue almost every other reference to The First Avenger was in dialogue. How were you skipping this exactly?

Just got to see the first two episodes tonight.

Fantastic. Loved it.

I knew Atwell would deliver if the show was up to it (which it was :)) but I didn't expect much from the rest of the cast. I was wrong. They all play their characters very well, especially D'Arcy who was the most surprising - I'm glad they avoided the cliche of making him a surprise action hero and war vet.

Loved Peggy's disguises too - I hope that is ongoing.

Anybody know what the phone call between Jarvis and Stark was about?

It obviously doesn't have sinister consequences for Peggy - could it be simply that Stark knows more about the robbery than he is telling her?

Anybody know what the phone call between Jarvis and Stark was about?

It obviously doesn't have sinister consequences for Peggy - could it be simply that Stark knows more about the robbery than he is telling her?

I think it's Jarvis agreeing that Peggy is a good pick to co-found SHIELD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"