Ahsoka Ahsoka: Episodes 1 and 2 Spoiler Thread

This very much felt like a prologue to the story, but I'm digging it. Really didn't want it to end. Also glad to see they finally confirmed she was a Nightsister.

Jedi Sabine is taking some getting used to, and it does feel like this will be her show, more than Ahsoka. I hope both will get a clear arc in this.

9 EST/ 6 PST, which thank god. Amazon's midnight EST was nice, but man, this was wonderful.
Thanks. So 2am here, I was awake, could have watched it! Had no idea they were changing the launch time but I guess this will be an improvement.

This was fantastic. Easily better than all of Mando season 3.

Definitely felt like the most Star Wars-y of the star wars shows thus far (although the flat crawl to open the episode just felt wrong lol)
I'd rank it just below Mando S1 & 2 and Andor at the moment, but we'll see where it goes

Really dug Ray Stevenson's character, I like that I can't get a read on him

And (small, nitpick-y thing, but) did anybody else notice that the makeup seems to be showing a lot of Dawson's forehead in this? Just looks a bit off, and makes her tendrils look more obviously like a cowl

Yeah, that crawl was so weird... flat red text that's aligned to the left?

Wait-What.gif

First 2 episodes were great.

Agree that this feels the most Star Wars-y of all the TV shows we've had so far and also plays like Rebels Season 5 - which I absolutely love.

Dawson was great as usual, but MEW and Natasha are pitch perfect casting as Hera and Sabine, respectively.

Baylan is also great and I love the mystery atmosphere of finding the path to Thrawn. This already has more story than the mediocrity that was Mando S3.

Bring on next week!

Last edited:
Shin reminds me of Chiana from Farscape and Veruca the werewolf from Buffy.

Thought this came out on Wednesday, it was a nice surprise that it was out on Tuesday. I really like all the shots of the Cities, and environments. Lots of cool wallpaper like shots. I felt a little lost on the backstories, gonna have to do a recap on some of them. I don't remember Morgan
being a nightsister in the mandalorian.
Filoni does a good job with some of his explanations, on the technical side that is. The world building details I enjoy. You can tell he knows the universe well.

Only two things stood out to me that I didn't care for. One is Ahsoka running in live action just seems slow. I think that is just the transition from animated to live action, so I think I will get used to this version after a few more episodes. The other thing is I am not really into secret maps and keys to find people. Spending too long on the search means we have less time for the interactions between
Thrawn
and everyone else. So I hope we get to
him
sooner.

Overall I thought is was a cool introduction, lots to see and lots of backstory thrown out there. We went to various locations. The intro crawl reminded me of Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai, both in the style and music played over the text. Seems like they are going for more of a Samurai theme throughout the episodes. Every human is very calm and deliberate in their speech, until action breaks out. You don't hear people say, "well" or "um". Very Kurosawa samurai like pacing in the story as well. Everyone knows the influence Kurosawa had on George's original film, so It is no surprise Filoni went with this as well. Well I think it is similar to this but I could be wrong. It just seems to try and set this tone from the beginning to me. We shall see how the style evolves over more episodes, but so far I enjoyed it.

The Star Wars galaxy is a standard spiral like Andromeda, and the other galaxy is a smaller barred spiral like the Milky Way. I wonder how much to read into this, especially with that mention of an ancient culture (humans from Earth?) from the barred spiral. I forget where I read that "A long time ago…" isn’t necessarily written from the audience’s point of view, but that opens up possibilities.

The Star Wars galaxy is a standard spiral like Andromeda, and the other galaxy is a smaller barred spiral like the Milky Way. I wonder how much to read into this, especially with that mention of an ancient culture (humans from Earth?) from the barred spiral. I forget where I read that "A long time ago…" isn’t necessarily written from the audience’s point of view, but that opens up possibilities.

Lol I thought about that briefly too
but if it turns out Thrawn and Ezra are on Earth or even just in our Galaxy, the fandom will positively s*** itself

Just started the first episode, in the hangar there is this Mon Calamari security guard with these huuuge tennis rackets for hands, and yet, his blaster is the same size as what his fellow humans have. How is he supposed to handle that weapon, let alone get his finger around the trigger?!
I shouldn't get so annoyed about such a small thing but it bothers me when these things slip through. There was a similar thing in one of the Boba Fett episodes, which also involved the hands of an alien.

In EP2, the prop that Sabine use to access the droid memory core is made out of an old space invader handheld game from the 80'.

Interesting note on that ending of Rebels meeting and the similar shot here. Azadi's speech mentions they are dedicating this monument that day. Doesn't sound like it's years old, but guess it theoretically could be?

Unpopular opinion, but the live action versions of all these characters are dull compared to the animation versions which are more heartfelt and in essence believable. It's quite substantial how important a voice can be. Filoni's approach feels like he is trying to force the animation mould onto live action, and that simply doesn't work. Little worried for future episodes.

Never watched Rebels, so I came into this show in a unique position to be sold on the characters and the show just on its own without the backstory. That said...this feels like trying to watch Empire without having seen Star Wars. I get the basics of the characters, but it feels like I am behind the 8 ball in general and catching up. So much is building off stuff that happened prior. So that's a net negative for someone like me cause I don't think it's doing enough of a job standing on its own without having seen Rebels.

Overall, show is okay. I am sick of map mcguffins, though.

Last edited:
Retcon issues aside, I'm mostly digging this. It's the most enjoyment I've gotten out of any Disney+ series all year. Not quite an Andor but definitely a big improvement from season 3 of Mandalorian, even with just these two episodes.

I was already on board with Rosario's Ahsoka from her previous appearances but I'm really impressed with MEW's Hera and Natasha Liu Bordizza's Sabine. Sabine was my least favorite Rebels main character (only by default) so I'm surprised at how invested I am in her story here. Live action Chopper has my heart, I just wish my boy Zeb was in it.

Unlike most of the other Star Wars shows, this isn't one I'd recommend to casual viewers unless they at the very least watch a recap video of Rebels. It really feels like more of a sequel series to Rebels/Clone Wars than its own thing.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion, but the live action versions of all these characters are dull compared to the animation versions which are more heartfelt and in essence believable. It's quite substantial how important a voice can be. Filoni's approach feels like he is trying to force the animation mould onto live action, and that simply doesn't work. Little worried for future episodes.
One of the behind-the-scenes videos has Rosario speaking excitedly about this show while in full Ahsoka makeup, and that’s the Ahsoka I remember from the animated series, who showed her emotions, both the positive and the negative, even after traumatic experiences. I hope that this current stoic version recovers that openness.

I suppose a giant rolling boulder in the map room would have pushed the Raiders of the Lost Ark homage a little too far.

While watching this, I noticed stuff that I made fun off and disliked. However, on a rewatch, I realized, that it was coming from a place of love, and I really did enjoy these episodes, despite some issues. Much more than some of the Boba Fett and Mando S3 stuff I had issues with.

You really can't replace the voice actors of Rebels. I have a tough time seeing anyone do better. That said, I grew to really like Natasha Liu Bordizzo and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Sabine and Hera. Still kind of lukewarm on Dawson's Ahsoka, but it isn't a terminal problem for the show so far.

The make up has improved a bit, with the montrel and lekku not as stiff as they have been. I do think Ahsoka's headpiece and her costume are causing issues with the action. I swear, Dawson looks bad running. Almost as bad as the Obi-wan forest chase running.

I do think these episodes were a bit heavy with exposition. And I worry that we seem to be getting some of that late LFL George Lucas weirdness, ala Mortis. And I do worry how people will react. I really do not want another 10 minute talk about the mechanics of going across galaxies.

PSA: Do not stare too long at the new version of the mural. You start to.... see things.

No Chopper murder, though we did get Chopper advocate for mass murder, so it balances.

Loving this. I never watched Rebels so I only know a bit of the backstory here but I’m not finding it hard to follow. Ahsoka is great but I’m also really liking Sabine. But I think MEW as Hera is my favorite so far. I love her pragmatic attitude and her alien WWII fighter pilot look. I hope she’s not just in these two episodes; I was a bit disappointed that she didn’t tag along with Ahsoka and Sabine at the end.

Finally, this show also shows what a quiet powerhouse Ray Stevenson was and how much he’ll be missed as a performer. I’m glad he had a nice swan song with this show, at least. I’m really loving his antagonist and I hope we get a good look at his backstory. Also, if any of you haven’t seen Black Sails, get on that. Ray doesn’t show up until season 3 but boy does he make an impression. Best Blackbeard ever, and it’s not even close.

Shin’s lightsaber has three prongs 120 degrees apart around the emitter end, like the placement of the Night Sisters’ statues in miniature. Add to that that she has Ventress’ pale hair and predatory glare, and of course Force talent, and I’m thinking there’s a family connection.

In regards to Hera, they could have easily used the original voice actress rom the animated show. Not sure about the politics though with MEW being the partner of Ewan McGregor, I suppose this partially led to the decision to higher her. Along with her being young enough for multiple seasons and even a movie. An older more, deeper and commanding presence would have been more suitable regardless. Given that the character is said to have fought on Endor, lost her partner and father of her Son in a traumatic way. In the live action version she seems so fresh, not carrying some weight and no being quiet and taking breaks in you lines does not emote the desired and known effect.

I like that Sabine didn’t leave enough hair for a Padawan braid. It’s good to see her keep some defiance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"