Ant-Man and the Wasp Official User Review Thread - SPOILERS

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a place for you guys to post reviews of the movie! This is a SPOILER thread, so enter at your own peril!

Saw it yesterday in Finland in 2D (effing 16 euros...). Just what I needed after Infinity War. Some lighthearted entertainment. I'd probably give this 8+ or 8½/ 10. Definitely not as funny as Deadpool 2 in case anyone's looking for that type of a movie. Most of the funny parts from the trailers happen during the first hour so they might not make you laugh much but the second hour is better. The chemistry between the main three cast members works well, plus the kid playing Cassie is adorable and also does a good job. Shame they're replacing her with an older actress for A4... Ghost is definitely not what I'd call a strong or memorable villain, because she's barely one. In large because she's barely one. Her situation comes out of desperation or survival. The post-credit scene even refers to her as "friend". I agree with John Campea's review that not all Marvel films have to be about saving the world (which Grace Randolph does not seem to understand at all). Sometimes saving a person is enough. Funnily enough, although the main plot might be saving Janet, it actually ends up as saving Janet so she could save Ghost.

While it's all lighthearted, the first post-credit scene will make you scream in horror again as Hank, Janet and Hope all turn to ashes while Scott is stuck in the Quantumrealm.

very fun entertaining movie. marvel really is in a groove right now.

had heart. had warm moments. had alot of humor (micheal pena is owning that role). and i thought the action scenes and the score to the scenes were fantastic. very unique and imaginative.

evangeline lilly also came off a super strong in this one.

definitely better than the first one.

there are two end credit scenes - one mid credit and one at the end. the one at the end is a scene for laughs. the mid credit scene is the big one (crowd went nuts at my showing) and where i think avengers 4 will start.

I thought is was great, 9/10. Definitely what you want after Infinity War. Luis steals the show for sure. The mid-credits scene was tough but I knew there would be a dusting in the end. But Hank, Hope and Janet...damn.

I am very curious as to how Scott gets out of the Quantum realm now. Will Stark get him out? The ants? I cant wait for A4!

I thought is was great, 9/10. Definitely what you want after Infinity War. Luis steals the show for sure. The mid-credits scene was tough but I knew there would be a dusting in the end. But Hank, Hope and Janet...damn.

I am very curious as to how Scott gets out of the Quantum realm now. Will Stark get him out? The ants? I cant wait for A4!

Probably those time vortexes Janet warned him about. They'll probably play a major role in A4.

Probably those time vortexes Janet warned him about. They'll probably play a major role in A4.

i think A4 starts from his POV getting out of a time vortex a few years past the snap.

Copied from the News and Speculation thread:

Loved this movie! It had heart. It had drama. Obviously comedy. The acting was great. I don't remember a single dull moment. Wasp was a bada$$. Ghost was well done. The family dynamic between Hope, Hank, and Janet was excellent. The crowd reactions were fantastic! Especially during that mid-credits scene... this crowd let out a bigger "gasp!" than I heard at the end of IW.

I'd rank this near the top of my favorite MCU movies.

9/10

8.5/10 for me very fun movie. The movie didn't really have a villain that was a threat it was a rescue mission. They make you care about the team because of the end result in the snap.

Just got back, the movie was absolute joy from start to finish, character work and interaction was top notch, had great action, amazing comedy, all around awesome moments. This is exactly what we needed after a movie like IW.

Hope was amazing, and I mean amazing, she was the best part of the movie IMO. Luis and the Antourage were great as usual, as were Hank and Janet. Cassie nearly stole every scene she was in. And I haven't even mentioned Scott who was just as charismatic, likeable, and funny as in the original.

Not sure if I rank it higher than the original, only because the original is my 4th favorite MCU movie of all time, but this one is close and on repeat viewings might topple it. Way to go Reed and Fiege, much thanks.

9.5/10

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10

- Fun, enjoyable breather for a post- Infinity War movie.
- Loved Ava/Laurence Fishburne
- Michelle Pfeiffer, nuff said
- A whole lot of heart.

I just wish Paul Rudd wouldn't try so damn hard to be like Deadpool, but I thought it was good movie nonetheless.

8/10

It was thoroughly entertaining and had 0 dull moments. It improved upon the first with stronger emotional beats and more involvement with the core characters. Hope and Hank were much more livelier in characters and gave outstanding performances in particular. Scott and Luis brought the same charm and humor as much as the first.

I watched this back to back with Incredibles 2 and as much praise as that gets, I was honestly more engaged with AMTW. Surprised that a live action film was much tighter in plot/subplots than a Pixar movie. I didn't care for the Jackjack running gag and was just waiting for more Elastigirl moments for instance. In AMTW I felt every moment was intriguing and needed to be played out as opposed to just longing for action moments. Anyway.. Lol.

Last edited:
I'd give it a solid 8.5/10

- Fun, enjoyable breather for a post- Infinity War movie.
- Loved Ava/Laurence Fishburne
- Michelle Pfeiffer, nuff said
- A whole lot of heart.

I just wish Paul Rudd wouldn't try so damn hard to be like Deadpool, but I thought it was good movie nonetheless.

Deadpool? Deadpool has nothing on Paul Rudd.

I saw it Wednesday and really liked it. A good continuation from the first Ant-Man and it's a good thing how it feels so much smaller and different from Infinity War.

All the main characters get more development and I like how they hint at Hank not always having been the best person. I'm glad they aren't going as far as the comics did, but its nice that there's some flaws there.

Hannah John-Kamen did a good job acting with relatively small means to make Ghost pop as a character. I think her pain and desperation came across nicely.

Scott's daughter keeps being incredibly charming and it's so easy to believe that he tries to do everything for her, and that he's really ashamed when he's forced into doing things that might jeopardize that relationship.

Walton Goggins' character did perhaps not pop that much, and agent Woo was probably a bit too purely comedic, but I think both still work in the sense of Scott consistently having a really bad day where there's always another bad thing happening.

A very fun and entertaining film.

Not as good as I thought it was going to be, but still has some charm and was definitely a nice break from IW. Evangeline Lilly is the standout here.

I feel like the pace was too rushed, as there's quite a few things that happen out of sheer convenience to move the film along. Other gripes - too much techno-babble (especially from Pym) and not enough memorable sequences showcasing their abilities.

7 out of 10.

I think, on balance, I liked this one more than the first one. The humour is better-integrated, and there's no moment where it feels like they ruined the more dramatic/emotional moments with unnecessary jokes, which was a problem in the first (and a lot of the mid-2010s MCU films, culminating in Ragnarok).

The scenes with Scott and Cassie are the highlight of the film. The actress who plays Cassie is super charming.

When the crew left Bill Foster's office, I was a bit surprised, since it seemed odd that they'd cast Fishburne for such a small role. The twist that he was working with Ghost was one of the new narrative developments in the MCU I genuinely didn't see coming. Ghost isn't going to go down as a classic villain, but I don't think the movie is trying to make her one anyway, and her anti-villain motivation was a nice change of pace from most generically evil MCU villains.

I had a blast watching Ant-Man and the Wasp! Definitely one of the funniest MCU movies ever. I'd give it a 9/10. Paul Rudd is a gem.

The mid credits scene had everyone going "ohhhhhhhhhh" (I expected Hope to be gone, didn't expect Hank and Janet to be gone too). And that "?" at the returns line was cool.

Last edited:
I thought it was average nothing special. Typical same tone and same formula like most of mcu movies a trashy villain with lots of fun and sprinkles of jokes and humor which is starting to get stale for me. It does get annoying when it gets serious then out of nowhere a joke. Alot of the humor didnt land for me and they also dumbed antman down to a bumbling idiot and it bugged me no pun intended. Antman the first movie was way better than this film imo.

5/10

Last edited:
If there's an element I think really elevates Ant-Man and the Wasp, which also makes it much, much better than the first one (I thought the first Ant-Man was among Marvel's weakest outings, and a complete vanilla product on par with Dr. Strange) is the following:

It doesn't force itself to be a "superhero film". At least as we've known them for the last few years.

It's science fiction, absurdist comedy, sitcom, ensemble film, chase movie... And yet, unlike the first one, it knows its story well enough not to shoehorn a supposedly grander than life villain or plot about cities, countries or worlds dying. Ghost, unlike Cross or Kaecillus, isn't a villain. The movie doesn't center on her as an antagonistic force that has to be stopped at all costs, she just sees an opening in a situation our characters create and tries to exploit it but, other than wanting to get the same prize (Janet) that our protagonists want, she ain't here to hurt anyone, that's why the best part of the movie is the It's a Mad, Mad World-esque chase around San Francisco with several parties (including Sonny's hilariously futile attempts to become a credible villain in a sci-fi genre where he simply can't compete) trying to get that prized miniature lab.

Don't get me wrong, the movie has it's fair share of flaws (though there are a couple of truly hilarious sequences, the humour falls flat half of time, for example), but it's refreshing to see a Marvel movie that allows himself to be simply about its story, to smartly and almost flawlessly construct a series of unfortunate situations and obstacles that end up converging and not try to follow the same formula of bad guy after bad guy making bad stuff happen.

Note: Reed needs to step up his game a little though, I'd say the best things about this movie come from the script, the direction is still a bit bland (compared to say, the personality the Russo's can show with scripts that aren't theirs).

Last edited:
I'll start off by saying that I love the first Ant-Man and it is one of my favorite MCU films. That being said, I think that this was a strong follow up. I really liked that, similar to its predecessor, this was smaller film in scale.

Rudd, Douglass, and the rest of the cast did a good job once again. Lily in particular did a great job as the Wasp and the build up towards finally seeing that character paid off I think.

And while she wasn't as good of a villain as some of Marvel's recent ones, I thought the Ghost was still a pretty decent antagonist and wouldn't mind seeing her being apart of a Thunderbolts movie if Marvel ever does that.

I also look forward to see more of Pfeiffer as Janet down the line.

7/10. It was okay. Fun at times but nothing groundbreaking. I wish we saw those three turned into dust just like how we saw the others in A3 were dusted. I was waiting for their reaction when they were dusting off. Like to me, that would have been more impactful.

There wouldn’t have been much of a reaction. It would have happened quickly like it did to everyone else.

Didn't love it, but I won't harp too long on it, because I'm sure most folks just consider me a Marvel "hater" (which I do not), but it was a thoroughly bland and flavorless movie with a pedestrian plot and visual palette.

With that said, I'll give it a few compliments. I think Rudd is genuinely likable as Scott, Michael Pena is a scene-stealer, and the villain at least had the potential of being interesting in that she had very justifiable motives and additionally wants the same things the heroes do but for different reasons. That added layer could have been exploited by better writers and directors to make for a really interesting contrast between Ghost/[blackout]Fishburne[/blackout] and Wasp/Hank. But the actual movie is too dimly by-the-numbers for that.

P.S. The Quantum Realm was fun. Enjoyed the retro feel.

While it's still in the lower tier of MCU films, it was far better than its uninspired predecessor. Lang was finally allowed to be an equal to other heroes instead of an easily-manipulated dolt. Hank & Janet's story was well-crafted, and Hope shined just as she did in the first film. Ghost was well-acted even if the character isn't one of Marvel's stronger villains. Lastly, the Antourage was much less annoying and actually had a purpose this time. While Bill Foster's appearance was a little underwhelming, I'm just glad to see Laurence Fishburne in the MCU.

My favorite moment was the mid-credits scene. It shocked the crowd all over again and continued the hunger for Marvel content going into 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"