Iron Man Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

I loved both movies, however, me being more of a superhero/comic book movie fan, i prefer iron man over the dark knight. Yea, the dark knight was about batman, but for me, it didn't feel like a super hero/comic book movie at all, just because it was meant to be super realistic, and in a way looses that charm, and ended up becoming a gangster film

I loved both movies, however, me being more of a superhero/comic book movie fan, i prefer iron man over the dark knight. Yea, the dark knight was about batman, but for me, it didn't feel like a super hero/comic book movie at all, just because it was meant to be super realistic, and in a way looses that charm, and ended up becoming a gangster film

I find nothing wrong with that.. but theres all these gangster names that you will be lost in if you dont pay attention

Definitely IM. TDK is great 75% through. Then it gets to those damn ferries and some of the worst acting and dialogue I have ever witnessed.

I find nothing wrong with that.. but theres all these gangster names that you will be lost in if you dont pay attention

Yea, there's nothing wrong with it being a gangster film, it worked out great, but for me, it just lost the comic book touch, which is kinda the point of adapting the stories into movies...

Yea, there's nothing wrong with it being a gangster film, it worked out great, but for me, it just lost the comic book touch, which is kinda the point of adapting the stories into movies...

Hmm Makes Sense.
Batman 89 seems to be the better "comic book adaptation"
Especially talking about the Joker himself

So basically the people who liked IM more liked it because it felt more like a comic book movie. That's exactly why I didn't like it as much. TDK seemed like they were trying to do something different.

Also, a while back someone said something about how ugly rachel looked. It's fine with me, I actually prefer movies to have women who don't look like models. Someone also said that in IM there were hints at the rest of the Marvel Universe. K, well, in TDK, there isnt' any other universe. Superman, Wonderwoman, Flash, GL, none of them exist, and it works that way. It'd be so stupid if they did. can you imagine Clark talking to bruce "o yea, even though you just tried very hard to let me know why your gadgets work in a fantastic yet plausible way....I'm just gonna jump on up and fly into space".

People also complain about the last 1/4 of TDK, but to me, the last half of IM pales in comparison to the first. The climax of IM is so predictable and so dull. TDK kept me on the edge of my seat. It may have dragged out a bit, but the Joker scene at the end was a great action movie climax and the three person staredown after that was a great crime thriller/action climax. So I really enjoyed that.

I will say that IM is the best "comic booky" comic book movie ever.

Definitely IM. TDK is great 75% through. Then it gets to those damn ferries and some of the worst acting and dialogue I have ever witnessed.
Have you seen Avatar? "YEA TAKE THAT B****" is actually a line in the movie. So while yea, TDK tries to get philosophical and to some people, it sounds smart, to others (you and me) it sounds a bit cheesey, I think it's far from the worst dialogue ever.

why are you taking it so personal???
These are people's opinions.
1) I dont mind if the women in the movies arent supermodel hot but it makes no sense that Bruce has his heart set on this one plain chick when he is pulling this hotter russian ballet chick.
2) I am not asking for Superman to swoop in and save the day. However acknowledge the bigger universe that the character lives in. Mention cities and places in the DC Universe. For me the coolest moment in a comic book movie is when Tony Stark approached the general at the end of Incredible Hulk. The sad thing is that even with the superman reboot...where you have a guy who is doing all this fantastical stuff...they still are only havin superman be the only superhero.
3) The end of every comic book movie is predictable....the hero survives and the villain either dies or goes to jail.

I'm not taking this personal, I just made an observation of other people's concensus opinions and then gave my own.

Iron Man is better,it is more self-fulfilling and satisfying out of the two,
and it also has less problems. TDK is still just okay at best however.

Having watched both back to back yesterday, I still have to go with The Dark Knight over Iron Man for the simple fact that Iron Man is a safe picture.

It's a very good picture. It's the best Marvel first film in their entire filmography...but it's still a safe picture. The score and the third act are its failures. They're no where near fatal but failures nonetheless.

Given that The Dark Knight had Batman Begins to get the origin out of the way, you could say it has an advantage over Iron Man but that doesn't change the fact that Nolan could've played it safe as well with his sequel. He resurrected Batman for WB and the audiences. All he had to do was go bigger, not mess up the formula, and could've sat back and racked in money.

Instead, he goes for the throat. Yes, after two years, a few flaws begin to show but it doesn't change the fact that once that film gets going, it engages like no other film I've seen in recent memory.

Given all that, I find it remarkable that Iron Man and Batman are the two biggest franchise...and yet the main characters are exactly the same, one slanted more towards the darker side than the other...but still the same character.

What we have, as fans of the genre, is an opportunity to have two perfect trilogies completed by 2013.

We missed it with X-Men. We missed it with Blade. We missed it with Spider-Man. Daredevil and Fantastic Four never really had a chance. Hulk is too tough to figure out on screen.

I'm having a great time with both of these franchises even though I favor the Bat over Tony Stark just because he's one of my all time favorite fictional characters. Still, I'm glad Iron Man and Batman are going head to head. It makes for good conversation.

Still, at the end of the day, we should thank our lucky stars that Favreau and Nolan have done these two characters justice.

The Dark Knight is a great picture, the problem is the protagonists are the most boring characters in the film. The film only stands out because of Ledger and Eckhart. Christian Bale wears pretty thin with the stupid raspy voice thing, and whatever sort of American accent he's trying to do.

Michael Cain is brilliant, but he's given nothing, unlike his role in the first movie. Freeman has alot of lines, but doesn't really seem to say anything significant other than "you want to be able to turn your head."

Finally, I never thought I'd beg for Katie Holmes to be brought back, but I was cheering when Maggie Gyllenhaal was blown up. There was absolutely no chemistry with her and Bale the way their was with Holmes in the first movie.

Having said that I loved the movie, but those who say it's flawless are being rather disingenuous.

Iron Man is just plain fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. Although the cave scene is very moving with Yinsen, and Faran Tahir takes a bit part and makes it stand out, just as he did in Star Trek.

As a whole the ensemble in Iron Man is just better, although TDK gets a slight edge with what Heath did, and the tragic circumstances around his roll. But TDK just doesn't cut the mustard with Bale's weak performance and Gyllenhaal just looking absolutely out of place.

Finally the Batsuit is way overdone, overthought and looks rediculous. The redesign of the suit did not work for the movie. The Joker costume did work 100% and I wasn't sure it would, but I was wrong.

Iron Man on the other hand goes no. 1 on my list for comic book costume adaptations. It's completely faithful to the comics, but yet doesn't come off looking fake or rediculous. I personally didn't care for Iron Monger's look however, but I can see based on the movie why they went the way they did.

I think you summed it up for me in the first line.

I really, honestly didn't give a toss about Bruce Wayne/Batman. He came off selfish to me. He wants Dent to take over his mantle... and he wants to steal Dent's girl? Yea nice one Bruce. Add that to the fact that by stealing Dent's girl, that isn't gonna piss Dent off? Doesn't make any sense.

I cared for Dent more than Bruce.

But i was far more interested in the Joker. Sure i suppose that was intential, to an extent. But when the villain is about 100000000000x more interesting and likable than the good guy, something is wrong. I mean likable in that i enjoyed seeing him on screen more than Batman and his poorly choreographed fights.

I have always felt that Nolan's Batman is just the 60's tv show taken to the non campy extreme. My main issue with his Bat films is that you never feel that Bruce is messed up over his parents. The main reason that I love Keaton's portrayal of Bruce is that you really get a sense that he was not right. Just that scene in Batman Returns where he is sitting in his mansion brooding before the batsignal lights...you know he was reliving that night....

Now that more time has passed, my opinion on these movies are almost neck and neck. I still LOVE the both of them, but I love them for very different reasons.

TDK is a fantastic movie, but I can't watch it anytime. I have to be really in the mood for it, which isn't often. Iron Man, however, I can watch anytime! Iron Man is definitely the more "popcorn flicky" of the two, but that doesn't mean it's not a great movie. I'm going to say that TDK ranks higher, but not by much.

It's funny, because I think that TDK and Iron Man, while different films, are very comparable at times. The biggest similarity is the importance of a good cast. I believe that TDK wouldn't be as great without Heath Ledger, and I believe that Iron Man wouldn't be as great without Robert Downey Jr. Both of these movies are proof how casting can make all the difference in the world, no matter what kind of story you have.

Iron Man was the best movie of it's type EVER....The Dark Knight is just a good movie, but still, I prefer Iron Man..,

Definentely prefer Iron Man. TDK never really explored the idea of how Bruce in the batman suit represented his inner self; it just felt like a gimmick in an average cop movie, with Bruce as just another wimpy "I don't want to be a hero" everyman. While I don't think RDJ exactly became Iron Man (though Jeff Bridges DID become Iron Monger), his Tony Stark had more than enough drive to hold my interest and keep things fun. Iron Man reminds me of how movies used to be, like the old James Bond movies, or the first Mission Impossible. It touches on pertinent subject matter without getting too dour and slugging, like TDK does.

The Dark Knight is my second favorite movie, period, only topped by Batman 1989

Iron Man is colorful and charming with lots of witty banter, and one of the best origin stories for a superhero, only I didn't find it that great, nothing higher than very good

A certainty...

Iron Man + Iron Man 2 is far greater than Batman Begins + TDK.

Dems da facts.

After the full trilogies are released we can fully compare but for now, Iron Man is in the lead.

A certainty...

Iron Man + Iron Man 2 is far greater than Batman Begins + TDK.

Dems da facts.

Dems an opinion not facts.

I think Iron Man 2 is much weaker than Iron Man as well as Begins and TDK. The Spider-Man movies are better than IM2 as well.

Dems an opinion not facts.

I think Iron Man 2 is much weaker than Iron Man as well as Begins and TDK. The Spider-Man movies are better than IM2 as well.

That seems to be the general consensus with general audiences, hardcore fans and critics.

Interesting poll question for me since I prefer most movies to TDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"