Iron Man 2 Can Iron Man 2 Beat it's Predecessor

Conebone69

The Legend Ends
Reaction score
The first Iron Man was very successful and people hailed it as one of the best comic book movies to date, along with The Dark Knight. Do you think Iron Man 2 has enough fun in store to be as good as the first, or even better? Just wondering what you all think :im:

It's possible. But it probably won't be as successful with critics. It looks awesome, but this could be another SM3 for all we know. It could suffer from too many characters and stories. Which will be the one thing that holds it back. I mean there is alot going on. Let's hope Favs has learned from SM3.

One thing is for sure... if it does improve on the first, it'll be THE greatest comic adaptation of all-time. Iron Man was such a good film that if the improvement seen between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins and TDK happens here, it'll be the new title holder regardless of what certain Nolanites or Spiderfans may claim. We'll have to wait and see.

One thing is for sure... if it does improve on the first, it'll be THE greatest comic adaptation of all-time. Iron Man was such a good film that if the improvement seen between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins and TDK happens here, it'll be the new title holder regardless of what certain Nolanites or Spiderfans may claim. We'll have to wait and see.

I would be very surprised if this movie was better than TDK

With fans, you never know.
In my opinion, I think the reason why some of the fans were disappointed with movies like Spider-Man 3, is because they got these two films building on top of eachother and getting better as they came, then Spider-Man 3's hype was so high they wouldn't be pleased no matter what. Therefor alot of fans were just kind of holding it as "just okay". I think the same will happen with Batman 3.

I personally get excited for these movies, but I don't blind myself with it.
I wouldn't be shocked if Iron Man 2 gets better reception than the first, and I sure as hell won't be shocked if fans whine about it for years to come.

Really, the only opinion you need to trust and agree with is your own. If you like a movie, then great. You liked what you were excited for.

Can Iron Man 2 beat it's predecessor.: Yes
Will it?: Don't know, but I think it will.

Only if there is a scene with Stark interrogating Whiplash going, "WHERE ARE THEY!?!"

Happy and Pepper are locked up in two warehouses with bombs attached to them but Iron Man can only save one. It's Pepper... who becomes... METAL-FACE

Only if there is a scene with Stark interrogating Whiplash going, "WHERE ARE THEY!?!"

Happy and Pepper are locked up in two warehouses with bombs attached to them but Iron Man can only save one. It's Pepper... who becomes... METAL-FACE

OH MY GOD!! BRILLIANT!! FUND IT!!

but seriously.. I think this movie will be better than the first.

I just saw the new trailer like a half hour ago.

It will beat its predecessor.:up:

pfff...absolutely. what a silly question!

Easily, if Transformers can manage it then Iron Man can.

From a box office standpoint, it will. From a story and character perspective, we'll see. It should. The origin is out of the way. We can now go forward with Tony.

My one concern is the constant building towards The Avengers that it hampers this specific Iron Man story, Thor, and Captain America.

IM2 so far looks better and more exciting but judgement will come upon viewing the actual film as a whole.

i don't think it will suffer from SM3 syndrome. That was caused by the STUDIO jamming in characters. In this i'm sure it will all come together. Also even before IM1 came out Favs was talking about how excited he was to move on to a sequel because the way he saw it sequels are the funnest part because you can go pretty much anywhere with them, as opposed to origin stories, which reguardless of what you do, is still the origin story.

It seems like everyone working on this is passionate for it, I don't see any evidence that it won't be at least as good as the first

It's possible. But it probably won't be as successful with critics. It looks awesome, but this could be another SM3 for all we know. It could suffer from too many characters and stories. Which will be the one thing that holds it back. I mean there is alot going on. Let's hope Favs has learned from SM3.

Well the characters here seem to tie in together or are connected somehow. Unlike SM3 which had three villains with different storylines that had nothing to do with each other. Plus none of the characters here were forced in just to sell tickets.

Based on how well the first film did, I'd almost bet this film will open with a minimum of 130 mill, and could possibly beat out TDK for largest opening weekend.

Considering IM was never a "flagship" character for Marvel, until after the film, and that it was the 2nd largest opening weekend for a non-sequel film, you gotta think the opening will be huge.

Now will the film be as good? I don't know, I certainly hope so, but I think they've done a great job of continuing the look and feel of the first film, while introducing more "superhero" elements like Nick Fury and Black Widow.

I've heard that Mickey Rourke was a jerk on set, but the guy is a fantastic actor whatever his personal flaws. I hope that comes off in the film. If anything the actors not liking him on set may have enhanced the hatred of him on screen, so maybe this isn't a problem.

All I'll say is the suitcase armor is almost worth the price of admission for me.

I've heard that Mickey Rourke was a jerk on set, but the guy is a fantastic actor whatever his personal flaws. I hope that comes off in the film. If anything the actors not liking him on set may have enhanced the hatred of him on screen, so maybe this isn't a problem.

I've not heard this at all.

Honestly, the first film was fantastic and won over critics and fans alike, IM2 has alot to live up too, the cast they assembled for the second film is better than the first film, bring in Cheadle, Rourke & Rockwell in addition to returning members Downey jr and Paltrow, makes this franchise one of the most talented of all comic based films, heck many main stream films would kill for half of them, IMO.
All that said, the second film looks incredible and should easily be surpass the opening weekend of IM1, will in over take TDK, hmmm, have to wait and see, it could, never know. I do agree that the critics will be harder on this film as opposed to the first film, as it has a higher bar to reach for, but Favreau seems to have listened to the fans and amped up the action, so the fans should be much happier there, of course you just can't make ever one happy, just look at the pole question asking what you rate the new trailer, an average of 63% gave it a 10 out of 10, followed by 9 of 10 and so on, yet still as good as it is, 0.9% has given it a 0 out of 10, which absolutely boggles my mind.

At least we can look on the bright side and know that Favreau won't have any godawful crying and dancing scenes! :woot:

With fans, you never know.
In my opinion, I think the reason why some of the fans were disappointed with movies like Spider-Man 3, is because they got these two films building on top of eachother and getting better as they came, then Spider-Man 3's hype was so high they wouldn't be pleased no matter what. Therefor alot of fans were just kind of holding it as "just okay". I think the same will happen with Batman 3.

I can't speak for every fan but from my own reasons as well as all the ones I've read, some of the main reasons people were disappointed with Spider-Man 3 was too much crying, dancing and it went overboard for the most part. I was also disappointed that they didn't have a swinging scene at the end. :(

All I'll say is the suitcase armor is almost worth the price of admission for me.

I haven't heard much about Rourke being a jerk on set but recently on a late night show(can't remember which one)Downey Jr was saying how Rourke takes method acting old school. Robert was saying during some scenes Rourke had some people holding or placing pictures of some of his dogs that have died to build up emotions in him when he would glance at them. That sounds awesome.

Last edited:
IM1 is already better than TDK.

I agree. Although Batman Begins takes the cake because it's better than IM1 and TDK combined.

But obviously IM1 is an outstanding movie. Such an effortless combination of action, drama and comedy. It looks like the sequel tries to continue along those lines. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

If the sequel is able to turn things up a notch in every department(mainly action and maybe the density of the plot)...well, in that case it will automatically out-do its predecessor. But it's not an easy task!

I agree. Although Batman Begins takes the cake because it's better than IM1 and TDK combined.

But obviously IM1 is an outstanding movie. Such an effortless combination of action, drama and comedy. It looks like the sequel tries to continue along those lines. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

If the sequel is able to turn things up a notch in every department(mainly action and maybe the density of the plot)...well, in that case it will automatically out-do its predecessor. But it's not an easy task!

For comic book movies i'd have to go V for Vendetta, Iron Man, Batman Begins.

Well to each his own but gimme IM1 first anyday. I do think BB was slightly better in many respects to TDK but also in others it was slightly inferior.

I agree with the rest of what you said though.

I really think that the sm3 wave has passed already, and I dont think sm3 will influence on any more movies from now on. And I think im2 will be much better then the first, not just because war machine is in it, but because marvel studios has been doing great movies since they got on their movies. just look how they made the incredible hulk! the new movie its awesome, and even made us forget the olf ang lee movie. so I do believe that im2 will be better then its predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"