Aquaman Box Office Thread

I have the same concern. Beauty and the Beast also demolished all competition at the box office and it was Coco that ultimately dethroned Justice League. The family audience is quite lucrative.

Greates Showman's amazing legs at the box office make me think that Mary Poppins movie will be a very big threat. That is another happy, cheerful movie for the entire family. They better have flawless marketing campaign here.

Poppins and Aquaman can co-exist, Star Wars has done $578m, Jumanji has done $290m and Greatest Showman will be near $90m by the end of the MLK weekend. We saw it with Avatar, Sherlock Holmes and Alvin 2 which did $760m, $209m and $219m. It wouldn't be surprising if both Poppins and Aquaman both do $300m a piece.

I was waaaaaaaaay off for Justice League, so not making that mistake again.

I voted 500 to 600 million, for the following reasons:

Justice League’s dire performance at the box office. Momoa didn’t shine in that movie, so there’s nothing coming off it for audiences to get their teeth into (so to speak).

Strong competition on release from family friendly movies.

The fact that this is another superhero movie starring a buff dude in a period full of superhero movies starring buff dudes. Not seeing anything on face value to distinguish this project from many, many others.

The continuing cluster**** that is WB. I can see studio interference carrying on after previews, and I can see Aquaman suffering due to the near constant state of panic they’re in at that studio.

The fact that this is another superhero movie starring a buff dude in a period full of superhero movies starring buff dudes. Not seeing anything on face value to distinguish this project from many, many others.

If they are smart, they'll play up the significance of Jason Momoa playing the character in the promotion. Black Panther has built up massive buzz and interest for being the first big budget black superhero movie of the modern era (discounting Hancock, I guess?) and Wonder Woman had similar hype for being the first female-led one of the same era. Aquaman being the first superhero movie to star a Polynesian actor is something that would play well to the press.

If they are smart, they'll play up the significance of Jason Momoa playing the character in the promotion. Black Panther has built up massive buzz and interest for being the first big budget black superhero movie of the modern era (discounting Hancock, I guess?) and Wonder Woman had similar hype for being the first female-led one of the same era. Aquaman being the first superhero movie to star a Polynesian actor is something that would play well to the press.

Quite possibly, but I doubt the reaction will quite hit the same levels, given that the Polynesian demographic is much smaller than black/female! They’ll probably do better with the ‘it’s the dude from GoT’ angle. The problem being of course is that he’s also ‘the dude from Justice League’. It’s clear nobody gave two ****s about Aquaman outside the fan base, thanks to how poor the whole thing was. And in 11 months, after Black Panther, Infinity War, Deadpool, Ant Man, Venom etc. they’ll care even less.

It’s got an uphill battle imo.

Its impossible to predict until we have some material to judge the quality. Largely it will come down to whether James Wan produces a movie that's actually any good.

With Wan behind the camera with very limited studio interference we should at least be in for a treat of a film. And with his Annabelle/Conjuring partners involved, I’d bet Wan will knock this one out of the park.
And also with reduced production costs it doesn’t have to break a billion dollars to break even.

Its impossible to predict until we have some material to judge the quality. Largely it will come down to whether James Wan produces a movie that's actually any good.

Unfortunately, the legacy of BVS and Justice League is gonna be a hurdle. Best case is the movie pulls a Wonder Woman and has good legs despite a soft opening.

Yeah this movie has no momentum going for it unfortunately. The holiday release date didn’t work great for JL so I can’t imagine Aquaman will fare much better. As much as I hated BvS I admit that there was buzz about how Wonder Woman elevated that movie. No one is saying the same about Aquaman after seeing JL.

Will be suprised to see this do more than 500 million ww.

aquaman is not a well known character, its coming off the back of an awful justice league film and wan isnt that good a director, we will see, I like mamoa but it is sailing against the wind.

I was waaaaaaaaay off for Justice League, so not making that mistake again.

I voted 500 to 600 million, for the following reasons:

Justice League’s dire performance at the box office. Momoa didn’t shine in that movie, so there’s nothing coming off it for audiences to get their teeth into (so to speak).

Strong competition on release from family friendly movies.

The continuing cluster**** that is WB. I can see studio interference carrying on after previews, and I can see Aquaman suffering due to the near constant state of panic they’re in at that studio.
I don't disagree but being a story told underwater could be a good differentiator if the effects are good enough.

Will be suprised to see this do more than 500 million ww.

aquaman is not a well known character, its coming off the back of an awful justice league film and wan isnt that good a director, we will see, I like mamoa but it is sailing against the wind.

what the hell did I just read

I really hope the underwater footage is ground breaking and can make this do more than expected.

Haven't seen the last one but Furious 7 and Dead Silence are well directed.

I think around 500 mill, maybe.

I really hope the underwater footage is ground breaking and can make this do more than expected.

This is this films big selling point.

No one has ever made anything like this. From that perspective, it could end up blowing out because its something truly different in an era where blockblusters rarely take risks or break new ground.

WB needs to take a page out of the Avatar sales book.

This is the area where the film can really differentiate itself from nearly all other blockbusters. Really hope they get the visuals right.

This is this films big selling point.

No one has ever made anything like this. From that perspective, it could end up blowing out because its something truly different in an era where blockblusters rarely take risks or break new ground.

WB needs to take a page out of the Avatar sales book.

Make it VR and attach James Cameron's name or Fast and Furious 7 tag on it?

:oldrazz:

oh God Cameron....he will probably open his trap when this is released to offer some terrible comment :funny:

I hope it can outgross JL domestic and worldwide, leading to a trilogy and inspire them to do more solo films of classic jl members that would lead to Justice IIeague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"